• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • I'm having trouble, myself, having my first foray into Tile Molestation.

Since I'm creating a hack of a hack, I had to manually insert the DPSS patch and icon. Simple enough (despite the hours that the latter took me), but I have a problem.

Spoiler:

Yeah, it's definitely not supposed to look like that. I know why it happened though. It's a matter of palette. All I did was take what Darthatron had out, uncompressed and in its normal colors, and plopped it into some free space. It makes sense that it'd happen.

But...well, I'm at a loss for how to change its palette so that it will play nice with the rest of the screen.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I'm having trouble, myself, having my first foray into Tile Molestation.

Since I'm creating a hack of a hack, I had to manually insert the DPSS patch and icon. Simple enough (despite the hours that the latter took me), but I have a problem.

Spoiler:

Yeah, it's definitely not supposed to look like that. I know why it happened though. It's a matter of palette. All I did was take what Darthatron had out, uncompressed and in its normal colors, and plopped it into some free space. It makes sense that it'd happen.

But...well, I'm at a loss for how to change its palette so that it will play nice with the rest of the screen.

Well, at least it looks somewhat cool :D
    I think you may have repointed a pal, which you should't have to do since apparently the type icons use the same pal as the type chart. Find the pointer to this pal, and from there I guess you'll be able to find the miss-write.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Well, at least it looks somewhat cool :D
    I think you may have repointed a pal, which you should't have to do since apparently the type icons use the same pal as the type chart. Find the pointer to this pal, and from there I guess you'll be able to find the miss-write.
    Thanks for the help, FBI. After some searching, I decided to rollback my versions and just start the process back from when I applied the patch, thinking it'd be better to try to understand the process more. The fix was...saddeningly simple on my part, I just had to change the palette before inserting.

...Yep. Sad faces all around.

The icons load slightly before the attacks do, though, which is somewhat of an issue but not really. Something to deal with later.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2017
    When trying to copy my ROM somewhere else, this happens:
    https://imgur.com/6VARJGf
    This same message also pops up for the ROM, not just the backup. When copying my ROMearlier, a lot of my script got jumbles, but this message did not come up, but that may have been because I was using an older Windows 7 computer.
    Does anyone know what these properties are and how to allow it to copy by some means without these properties being lost?

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2015
    Can someone please help me find downloads for GBA rom tools? I'm really new to this and my computer says a lot of the downloads are trojans so I don't know what to trust.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Can someone please help me find downloads for GBA rom tools? I'm really new to this and my computer says a lot of the downloads are trojans so I don't know what to trust.

As long as you download it from the Tools, Tutorials & Resources section here you should be fine, a few tools can trip up some antiviruses but I can promise you they are false positives. :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    Does anyone know how I can make Pokemon hatching from an egg start from level 1 in Fire Red? Also does anyone know how to edit the Charizard at the title screen of Fire Red by using Tile Molester? I cannot find the charizard sprite at 2011 in unZL GBA since I am using an edited rom.

Years
  • In Emerald, are there any unused temporary flags that clear upon leaving an area? Also, are there some unused ones that function as "daily" flags? I'm trying to make a script for an OW Pokemon and/or person event that can be encountered once a day/after a certain period of time.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2019
    Is it possible using advance map movement permissions to allow the player to walk behind a waterfall? I've tried using 3C tiles with 10s on either side but even then the player still appears on top of the waterfall.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2017
    Wanted to bump this to the next page:
    When trying to copy my ROM somewhere else, this happens:
    https://imgur.com/6VARJGf
    This same message also pops up for the ROM, not just the backup. When copying my ROMearlier, a lot of my script got jumbles, but this message did not come up, but that may have been because I was using an older Windows 7 computer.
    Does anyone know what these properties are and how to allow it to copy by some means without these properties being lost?

Also, does anyone know the offsets of the script(s) for oak telling you that its not time to use an item?

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2020
    So I have looked around and can't seem to find anything about this. I hope I'm in the right place to ask this. Basically what I wanted to ask is if I can transfer a pokemon from a romhack save to a retail game save. Of course I would probably have to do some slight modifications to the pokes to make them legal but if they are real pokemon that have legal stats is it possible. And on the subject of making the areas they were caught in legal is there a program that can batch legalize a folder of .pkms

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2015
    Quick question about Advance Map that I haven't seen answered elsewhere: is there any kind of undo command when painting tiles? I'm clumsily working my way through learning how it works and having a quick ctrl+z or something to undo mistakes would be real handy...

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Quick question about Advance Map that I haven't seen answered elsewhere: is there any kind of undo command when painting tiles? I'm clumsily working my way through learning how it works and having a quick ctrl+z or something to undo mistakes would be real handy...

No, as far as I'm aware. You'd have to rely on saving beforehand, leaving your current map in AM if you made a mistake and click don't save changes (or whatever it's called). But if you're in the process of learning how to map, I would definitely play around with a test rom first where it doesn't matter as much, and once you have things figured out start working on actual maps for your hack.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Is it possible using advance map movement permissions to allow the player to walk behind a waterfall? I've tried using 3C tiles with 10s on either side but even then the player still appears on top of the waterfall.

That's because the game is in 2D. You walking "through" the waterfall would mean you taking a step forward (and thus appearing at the top of the waterfall). To create the illusion you'd need to do the walking animation and momentarily hide the player until they've reached a certain x/y position. I don't think it's something you can do with scripting or a map editor unfortunately. You could make the waterfall's second tile overlap the player sprite, but then when the player uses the HM Waterfall, I think it will definitely cause visual issues.

Years
  • Hey everyone, I have a brief little issue, I am currently working on a Hack of Fire Red and I am trying to have a desert route but I've tried to put it as an Underground type route and it doesn't work, and I've tried to run it as an inside route, I am trying to attempt to have it where Pokémon can jump out at the player on any tile and not a grass one.
    Map Options set at:
    Cave: Regular[00] Weather: Sandstorm[08]
    Type: Inside [08] Fight Type: Random[00]

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Hey everyone, I have a brief little issue, I am currently working on a Hack of Fire Red and I am trying to have a desert route but I've tried to put it as an Underground type route and it doesn't work, and I've tried to run it as an inside route, I am trying to attempt to have it where Pokémon can jump out at the player on any tile and not a grass one.
    Map Options set at:
    Cave: Regular[00] Weather: Sandstorm[08]
    Type: Inside [08] Fight Type: Random[00]

It's not the map type that does it, it's the tile behavior bytes. Try setting the "background byte" of your sand tile in advance map to 01.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2018
    So I am trying to hack Pokemon Platinum. My goal is to create a hack similar to Drayano's hacks for HGSS and BW/B2W2.
    I'm adding the starters via interactable events in certain places and it works, however, it is quite tedious having to go through all possible overworld sprites to find the ones I'm looking for. Is there any such list for these?

And one issue I am having is with ground items. I know how to do them, but I used the scripts that make a person give the player an item, not finding an item on the ground, so even if it works, it displays a slightly wrong message. The ground items refer to scripts made outside the map, and I have no way of accessing those (I'm using PPRE v 1.4). I have been trying some standard functions but they either freeze or do the wrong thing. Is there either a list of standard functions, or a list of scripts in pokemon platinum? Or if someone happens to know how to script ground items that would be helpful as well.

I'd also like to know how I can edit shop items.

Those are the only things I'd like help on right now. Thank you :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back