• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    VBA palette viewer is lying to me :(

I can't find the palette for the Rayquaza image from the Emerald intro. It shows up on the palette viewer as number 5 but searching for those colours gives no results, even searching for a few of the colous in a row gives me nothing.

I know you have to flip the number, XXYY becomes YYXX, I've done this before for other images and their palettes, what's wrong with this one?

Thanks

DDE418 is the location of Titlescreen Rayquaza palette (uncompressed colors).

In VBA it is YYXX. And the rest of the programs you are using to edit palettes are XXYY. Don't be confused. I also can't get why VBA has that manner.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    DDE418 is the location of Titlescreen Rayquaza palette (uncompressed colors).

In VBA it is YYXX. And the rest of the programs you are using to edit palettes are XXYY. Don't be confused. I also can't get why VBA has that manner.

I'm not looking for the titlescreen palette, I'm looking for the one before the titlescreen, the rayquaza that shoots out that hyper beam thing after the clouds and stuff.

Don't worry, I don't find it confusing xD Thanks for your help.

I won't double post but I have another question. Where's the bird fly image in Emerald found? The palette is number 0 that brendan uses but the image is harder to find.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2017
    Spoiler:

Any ideas on how to open them?

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • I created several new maps in Advance Map and I changed everything under Header to match the other maps, yet I cannot use the running shoes in them; I can only walk. Can anyone help me with this?

Years
  • Hello,

after playing many hacks, I'm trying to move the first steps into rom hacking and I'm trying to edit my first rom. I'm absolutely a newbie at this and I probably can't do the simplest things >_> but oh well, gotta start somewhere. So my problem is with editing items. I want to add items in marts, or else to at least make it so that a certain item can be found somewhere in the game.

How can I do that? I thought the fastest way to solve my problem would be to use advance-mart (working with an Emerald rom). But when I try to run it, I get the COMCTL32.ocx issue. I googled and watched tutorials on youtube and did everything I could. I tried downloading that ocx file and I tried to follow the directions in the tutorials, but I get more errors. I don't know if the reason is that I'm using Windows 8, since I see instruction on how to install it only up to Windows 7.

link to see what I mean: http://www.ocxdump.com/ocxhelp.html

So I'm asking for help T_T if anybody could please tell me how to make a-mart work or how to edit sold items without a-mart or how to place an item somewhere on the map I'd be REALLY thankful!!!

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Does anyone know where the bag space begins? I don't want to accidentally overwrite that area in the RAM with anything haha.

I assume you mean the items and their respective quantities rather than something else.

It's in one of the save blocks, so it moves around quite frequently. If you want guaranteed free memory, use malloc or some memory that is really okay to overwrite (the string buffer, script banks, etc). If you're doing ASM you can even use the stack.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2019
    So I've been messing around with mapping in AM1.95 and having a good time. I don't have much knowledge about applying the maps to hacks though.

The dimensions of fortree city are 40x20. I think it'd be cool to expand it. According to advance map I can make it as large as 40x172! Can the gba handle this? Will the game have space for such a thing? Will it lag? If it can handle this, can I do it with more cities?

Thanks!

Years
  • First, I wanna correct the moves names that were written without spaces.
    I only want to know if I will screw up the ROM, or anything like that if I do it. Like just rewriting them in G3T.
    Examples:
    Doubleslap --> Double Slap
    Thunderpunch --> Thunder Punch
    Vicegrip --> Vice Grip

Second, there were some moves that had effect chances, like Fire Punch - 10% of burning chance, Pay Day - 100% Pay Day chance, Ancientpower - 10% chance of raising all stats; and there were moves that didn't have a chance, even though they had effects, like Growl or Leer.
    What's the difference (besides damaging and non-damaging moves), what's the link?
    What if I put a chance of lowering the speed stat of my opponent with 100% chance of that happening. Would that be equal to String Shot's 0% effect chance?

Third and finally, how can I know exactly what an effect byte does other than just looking at the move reference in parenthesis? How can I edit them?

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    First, I wanna correct the moves names that were written without spaces.
    I only want to know if I will **** up the ROM, or anything like that if I do it. Like just rewriting them in G3T.
    Examples:
    Thunderpunch --> Thunder Punch

There's a 12 character limit, so you cannot rename Thunderpunch to Thunder Punch, unfortunately.

Years
  • There's a 12 character limit, so you cannot rename Thunderpunch to Thunder Punch, unfortunately.

Yeah, I thought about that limit. But why moves like Doubleslap and Vicegrip are together if they don't reach the 12 character limit?
    Also, the limit is 12 characters, but are you sure I won't overwrite other moves names or anything else in the game, by adding letters (or spaces)? I mean, are 12 characters really saved for each move or that's only the limit?
    Thanks!

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Yeah, I thought about that limit. But why moves like Doubleslap and Vicegrip are together if they don't reach the 12 character limit?
    Also, the limit is 12 characters, but are you sure I won't overwrite other moves names or anything else in the game, by adding letters (or spaces)? I mean, are 12 characters really saved for each move or that's only the limit?
    Thanks!

You won't overwrite other moves by making each move max characters.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2015
    hey! i'm new to rom hacking.. me and my friends have started building a rom and i was just wondering is it possible to export a single map created on my friend's laptop which can be transported to my laptop which can later be connected in game ? Meaning we can work on different cities on different laptops then merge them in 1 game? Eg - i work on 1st town , my friend works on 2nd town then the 2nd town is copied on my laptop to connect it with 1st town. Thanks!

Years
  • hey! i'm new to rom hacking.. me and my friends have started building a rom and i was just wondering is it possible to export a single map created on my friend's laptop which can be transported to my laptop which can later be connected in game ? Meaning we can work on different cities on different laptops then merge them in 1 game? Eg - i work on 1st town , my friend works on 2nd town then the 2nd town is copied on my laptop to connect it with 1st town. Thanks!

Of course it is possible.
    Try saving each map as a new map number. Say you use Map number 97, and your friends use 98 and 99. After you have all the maps, simply change them for the right ones (Pallet's main map is in 3, but Pallet's sub maps are in 4, and so on) and delete 9, 98 and 99.

There's a 12 character limit, so you cannot rename Thunderpunch to Thunder Punch, unfortunately.

You won't overwrite other moves by making each move max characters.

Thanks a lot you two.

Second, there were some moves that had effect chances, like Fire Punch - 10% of burning chance, Pay Day - 100% Pay Day chance, Ancientpower - 10% chance of raising all stats; and there were moves that didn't have a chance, even though they had effects, like Growl or Leer.
    What's the difference (besides damaging and non-damaging moves), what's the link?
    What if I put a chance of lowering the speed stat of my opponent with 100% chance of that happening. Would that be equal to String Shot's 0% effect chance?

Third and finally, how can I know exactly what an effect byte does other than just looking at the move reference in parenthesis? How can I edit them?

It says it's unknown as for why effect chances are sometimes 0% but they happen 100% sure. I'm still confused though, for things like Stomp, where it will with 100% certainty hits with a 2x base power if the opponent used Minimize and 30% chance of flinching... What goes on there?

I still would like to know how to edit them. If someone can help there... EDIT: Nevermind. Lazyness allowed me to find this in a simple search.

Also, how do I know what number, from 0 to 255 I have to apply in order to have a certain priority?
    G3T is showing them relating by moves (like "Same as Whirwind priority"), but I'm confused as they change a lot through Generations...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    hey! i'm new to rom hacking.. me and my friends have started building a rom and i was just wondering is it possible to export a single map created on my friend's laptop which can be transported to my laptop which can later be connected in game ? Meaning we can work on different cities on different laptops then merge them in 1 game? Eg - i work on 1st town , my friend works on 2nd town then the 2nd town is copied on my laptop to connect it with 1st town. Thanks!

This is a very easy thing to do. All you need to do is work on the ROM, then create a patch that you can send (by email, for example) to your friend. Your friend applies the patch, then does some work. Once he's finished, he can create a new patch to send to you, and it repeats like a cycle. The only thing you won't be able to do is work concurrently--you'll need to wait for the other to be finished and have the new patch before you start working yourself, or data can be overwritten and you'll break things.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Super simple question. Say I made a script and compiled it into the ROM, but a few days later I decided to scratch the script completely and start over with a new one. The thing is, that original script that i made was quite large.

Is there any special XSE command or something that will make removing the script from my ROM hack easier or is it better to just ignore it and make a new script in another part of the ROM?

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    This is a very easy thing to do. All you need to do is work on the ROM, then create a patch that you can send (by email, for example) to your friend. Your friend applies the patch, then does some work. Once he's finished, he can create a new patch to send to you, and it repeats like a cycle. The only thing you won't be able to do is work concurrently--you'll need to wait for the other to be finished and have the new patch before you start working yourself, or data can be overwritten and you'll break things.

Did Gamefreak not have different people working on different things at the same time that's why there are free space gaps? You could prearrange what space to use to make sure you don't overwrite each others data.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back