• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
  • Yeah, so there's nothing I can do but change it manually? All righty, then.

Download Pokemon Game Editor by Gamer2020. There is a feature to export and import entire sheets of data for each pokemon to make this process easier.

Years
  • Sorry for double posting, but I thought this deserved a double check.

Preventing TMs from being consumed on use

Quick research:
    TMs are deleted in two places. The first place is in their own function. When called from the bag, after use the TM has it's own deletion mechanism. The second way is from the bag, after you use a TM the bag attempts to delete it as well. Well, the solution is quite simple. There's two ways to do this, either go to 0809A1D8 call your own function there which checks if the item is a TM, and if it is, just jump to the end. Or much more simply you just remove the parts from the bag and tm function that deletes the TM (Which is what I did). The former way is a way you can make another item you have unconsumable.

To insert:
    Do the byte changes below
    0x124F78: 00 00 00 00
    0x125C80: 00 00 00 00

Make it Ungivable:
    insert that at 0x1326B8: 00 00 17 E0

Make it consumable after animation:
    Insert: 00 00 00 00 at 0x124F78

To remove the quantities showing up in the bag:

Compile and insert into free space:
    Spoiler:

Here's a compiled version:
    Code:
    00 2D 01 D1 05 4B 18 47 38 1C 08 21 22 1C 04 4E 00 F0 02 F8 01 4B 18 47 30 47 C0 46 FF 1E 13 08 B1 35 13 08

Now navigate to 0x131EF4 and insert:
    Code:
    00 48 00 47 XX XX XX 08
    Where XX XX XX is the pointer to where you assembled the routine +1

Now navigate to 0x131EA5 and change the byte to E0

Unsellable:
    Basically for the TMs, you can still sell them to vendors. To change this, you need to modify each TM individually. It's unfortunate, but the game checks if an item can be sold my comparing it's market price to zero. If it's strictly greater than zero, then you can sell it to a vendor, seems to be the rule. So to make TMs unsellable you need to set their market prices individually to zero.
    I can't use my own checks to disguise the TMs as unique because the sell routine in shops are used for ALL items including potions, berries, TMs, and other items like nuggets.

Present :3
    Quick Questions & Answers

I've got a HUGE problem with this!!!!
    I was playing and normally using TMs for 20k Pokémon (not a number, I'm exaggerating). I'm after the league now, and I was giving Toxic to some Pokémon, to help me catch others, so I could get the 60 Pokémon to get National Dex and be able to go to Four Island.
    Problem is, when I was going to give Toxic to my Chansey, it was gone! Then I looked for the Psychic TM (other move I give to her, I took it out briefly for Rock Smash), and it was gone too. What the hell happened?
    Is there a limit for this?
    I got my save back, from the GBA in-game save, and I had Toxic yet. I tested giving it to one Pokémon and it didn't disappear. Then I gave it to other and then it wasn't there anymore. Is there a limited amout of times I can use a TM? Or there's something incomplete about this hack?
    Has it happened to someone else too?

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
  • I'm sorry if this counts as double posting, but I think my last post a month ago wasn't clear...

Does anyone know a good sprite editing tutorial (for pokemon, trainers, items etc.) on this site? I've looked elsewhere on other sites and youtube but those tutorials did not help me. I've already tried to search for one, but I think I'm not searching correctly because it comes up with over 1,000 search results not related to my query, or maybe they just don't exist...

Help please? I'm just a n00b trying to create a funny game.

Years
  • I'm sorry if this counts as double posting, but I think my last post a month ago wasn't clear...

Does anyone know a good sprite editing tutorial (for pokemon, trainers, items etc.) on this site? I've looked elsewhere on other sites and youtube but those tutorials did not help me. I've already tried to search for one, but I think I'm not searching correctly because it comes up with over 1,000 search results not related to my query, or maybe they just don't exist...

Help please? I'm just a n00b trying to create a funny game.

Check the Game Development or the Art & Design forums. There might be something about creating new sprites or edit existing ones for other new versions.

timson733333

Woah.
    Years
  • Hey, I'm hacking Emerald 650, and I'm making small maps with Secret Base tiles that serve as ways to get to a transportation hub. However, every time I step into a room with those tiles, the player's sprite palette glitches up (hair turns dark blue). Is there any way to fix that?

Years
  • Finally got to the Four Island and started breeding for questions. Lots of questions on breeding popped into my head. Brace yourselves:

1 - This is a more direct question. The game freezes upon taking the Pokémon out of the Day-Care. I'm using MrDollSteak's Rombase. What do I do?
    2 - When does the game decide I'll get an egg? 'Cause I know I have a chance (based on what Pokémon are in the Day-Care) every 255 steps. But, does the game does all the calculation when I put the Pokémon there, and then I start walking 'till I get the number that was calculated, or every 255 steps, the game recalculates my odds of getting an egg (Seemed to me highly improbable it keeps this calculations on the background while I play)?
    3 - I know what comes out of an egg is not determined when it hatches. If you want different Pokémon's gender, abilities and nature, you gonna have to save before getting the egg. But is the egg determined right there, when you pick it?
    4 - If my Pokémon that were still in the Day-Care level up and were to learn a move, will the Day-Care people overwrite it on one of the moves my Pokémon already know, or will they not learn it at all?

Now, question about implementation (not about compatibility of Pokémon):
    5 - Is it possible to calculate how many n steps cycles (n*255) I'll have to walk before my egg is ready in the Day-Care? It just seems much more optimized this way.
    6 - Is it possible to move the egg's determination of gender, abilities and nature to just before it hatches?
    7 - Is it possible to take Pokémon's leveling up out the Day-Care System?

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Finally got to the Four Island and started breeding for questions. Lots of questions on breeding popped into my head. Brace yourselves:

1 - This is a more direct question. The game freezes upon taking the Pokémon out of the Day-Care. I'm using MrDollSteak's Rombase. What do I do?
    2 - When does the game decide I'll get an egg? 'Cause I know I have a chance (based on what Pokémon are in the Day-Care) every 255 steps. But, does the game does all the calculation when I put the Pokémon there, and then I start walking 'till I get the number that was calculated, or every 255 steps, the game recalculates my odds of getting an egg (Seemed to me highly improbable it keeps this calculations on the background while I play)?
    3 - I know what comes out of an egg is not determined when it hatches. If you want different Pokémon's gender, abilities and nature, you gonna have to save before getting the egg. But is the egg determined right there, when you pick it?
    4 - If my Pokémon that were still in the Day-Care level up and were to learn a move, will the Day-Care people overwrite it on one of the moves my Pokémon already know, or will they not learn it at all?

5 - Is it possible to calculate how many n steps cycles (n*255) I'll have to walk before my egg is ready in the Day-Care? It just seems much more optimized this way.
    6 - Is it possible to move the egg's determination of gender, abilities and nature to just before it hatches?

I'm rusty on hacking so please don't kill me.

1. Probably something about the rombase.
    2. If you have YAPE you can see there or edit pokemon's egg groups. Pokemon's on the same egg group have a greater chance to make an egg as to others. Look it up on bulbapedia, Google is not working for me for some reason so I can't link it to you. :/
    3. It's predetermined once you take the egg from the old man so you gotta save the game before getting the egg.
    4. Pokemon always learn moves at the daycare. Let say you have a Pidgey with this moveset.

Tackle
    Gust
    Quick Attack
    Sand Attack

Let's say Pidgey will learn Wing Attack the 1st move will always be the one replaced but this is how Pidgey's moveset will be like once you take him out after learning Wing Attack.

Gust
    Quick Attack
    Sand Attack
    Wing Attack

So it shifts the last move it learns down the stack and overwrites the 1st one in the stack when learning a move.

5. The number of steps is predetermined you can edit it in YAPE or the Pokemon Editor in PGE.

6. No, as I said it's predetermined once you got the egg from the old man.

7. Highly possible, but I don't know how to, probably with a bit of repointing, asm, and stuff would you be able to do it.

Years
  • I'm rusty on hacking so please don't kill me.

1. Probably something about the rombase.
    2. If you have YAPE you can see there or edit pokemon's egg groups. Pokemon's on the same egg group have a greater chance to make an egg as to others. Look it up on bulbapedia, Google is not working for me for some reason so I can't link it to you. :/
    3. It's predetermined once you take the egg from the old man so you gotta save the game before getting the egg.
    4. Pokemon always learn moves at the daycare. Let say you have a Pidgey with this moveset.

Tackle
    Gust
    Quick Attack
    Sand Attack

Let's say Pidgey will learn Wing Attack the 1st move will always be the one replaced but this is how Pidgey's moveset will be like once you take him out after learning Wing Attack.

Gust
    Quick Attack
    Sand Attack
    Wing Attack

So it shifts the last move it learns down the stack and overwrites the 1st one in the stack when learning a move.

5. The number of steps is predetermined you can edit it in YAPE or the Pokemon Editor in PGE.

6. No, as I said it's predetermined once you got the egg from the old man.

7. Highly possible, but I don't know how to, probably with a bit of repointing, asm, and stuff would you be able to do it.

1 - Investigating (mysteriously squeezing eyes, much like Batman would).
    2 - I know each Pokémon has a steps count and depending if the Pokémon are the same species, or same trainer, they will or not have a better chance of having the egg at each stepping cycle. I'm actually asking about the calculation, not the odds of getting the egg.
    3 - I know it's determined before the egg hatches, so I'd have to save before getting the egg with the old man. But, when exactly is the egg figured out? When I talk to the guy?
    4 - Thanks, that helped a lot!
    5 - Again, I know they are predetermined and each Pokémon has a different number for it to hatch. I'm asking actually about the egg producing step cycles. I know there's a chance based on what Pokémons are in the Day-Care and every 255 steps I get a chance of having an egg. I'm just asking if all this calculation could be done prior to me start walking around as I think it would optimize the game. Instead of calculating this every 255 steps, it would calculate how many n*255 steps I'd have to walk. And once I hit n*255, the flag 0x266 would just be set, and the egg would be ready. Is that possible? 'Cause if it's not, it's cool too, the game worked fine for 10 years...
    6 - Again, the old man would just give me the egg, that it knows because of flag 0x266 will be active. Then the egg calculation would take place when I hit the number of steps I need to hatch the egg. Is it really that impossible? 'Cause it really seems just like repointing the egg determination routine to when the Pokémon is about to be born.
    7 - I'll have to look into that.

Bonus questions:
    8 - Is it possible to make the egg an item, so it doesn't occupy Party Pokémon's position?
    9 - Alternatively, is it possible to make the egg hatch from the Box, so I don't need to carry it around for that long? I just place it in the Box, and once I hit the amount of steps I must, the egg would hatch?

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • 1 - Investigating (mysteriously squeezing eyes, much like Batman would).
    2 - I know each Pokémon has a steps count and depending if the Pokémon are the same species, or same trainer, they will or not have a better chance of having the egg at each stepping cycle. I'm actually asking about the calculation, not the odds of getting the egg.
    3 - I know it's determined before the egg hatches, so I'd have to save before getting the egg with the old man. But, when exactly is the egg figured out? When I talk to the guy?
    4 - Thanks, that helped a lot!
    5 - Again, I know they are predetermined and each Pokémon has a different number for it to hatch. I'm asking actually about the egg producing step cycles. I know there's a chance based on what Pokémons are in the Day-Care and every 255 steps I get a chance of having an egg. I'm just asking if all this calculation could be done prior to me start walking around as I think it would optimize the game. Instead of calculating this every 255 steps, it would calculate how many n*255 steps I'd have to walk. And once I hit n*255, the flag 0x266 would just be set, and the egg would be ready. Is that possible? 'Cause if it's not, it's cool too, the game worked fine for 10 years...
    6 - Again, the old man would just give me the egg, that it knows because of flag 0x266 will be active. Then the egg calculation would take place when I hit the number of steps I need to hatch the egg. Is it really that impossible? 'Cause it really seems just like repointing the egg determination routine to when the Pokémon is about to be born.
    7 - I'll have to look into that.

Bonus questions:
    8 - Is it possible to make the egg an item, so it doesn't occupy Party Pokémon's position?
    9 - Alternatively, is it possible to make the egg hatch from the Box, so I don't need to carry it around for that long? I just place it in the Box, and once I hit the amount of steps I must, the egg would hatch?

2. I actually don't know hahahaha I just recently returned from my 2 year hiatus so sorry mate.
    3. Yes, you have to save. Probably before you click yes in the yes/no box since it's a script the calculations shouldn't start when the textboxes unless theres a bunch of other stuff before the text boxes.
    5. It's highly possible it's just that I don't know about it lol
    7. Probably is, I'll have a look into this once I get deeper in my hack since it's something cool to optimize. ;)
    8. Yes, by adding a new item and doing some ASM codes for what the item should do. (I'm thinking like a place in the key items like egg incubator like the berry pouch where there is e.g. magikarp egg, pichu egg, geodude egg, and the number of steps needed to hatch beside it that would be cool af!)
    9. Again some ASM and stuff that I don't know about could do the trick. ;)

By the way, I was going to post it in another thread, but it seemed too of-topic. Believe other people would be pissed.
    Not that it's not off-topic here, but whatever...

{:3}{:3}Best signature ever, Shadowraze!!{:3}{:3}

Ikr lol Thanks! You better edit that double post tho ;)

Years
  • 2. I actually don't know hahahaha I just recently returned from my 2 year hiatus so sorry mate.
    3. Yes, you have to save. Probably before you click yes in the yes/no box since it's a script the calculations shouldn't start when the textboxes unless theres a bunch of other stuff before the text boxes.
    5. It's highly possible it's just that I don't know about it lol
    7. Probably is, I'll have a look into this once I get deeper in my hack since it's something cool to optimize. ;)
    8. Yes, by adding a new item and doing some ASM codes for what the item should do. (I'm thinking like a place in the key items like egg incubator like the berry pouch where there is e.g. magikarp egg, pichu egg, geodude egg, and the number of steps needed to hatch beside it that would be cool af!)
    9. Again some ASM and stuff that I don't know about could do the trick. ;)

Ikr lol Thanks! You better edit that double post tho ;)

I'll mind the double post next time. Just got happy with seeing your signature again. It's AWESOME!

Also, the Egg Incubator idea is AWESOME! Loved it!
    That would indeed be one awesome feature to be added to the game.
    8 and 9 are actually alternatives. If one works, the other isn't necessary. But I loved the incubator idea!

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I'll mind the double post next time. Just got happy with seeing your signature again. It's AWESOME!

Also, the Egg Incubator idea is AWESOME! Loved it!
    That would indeed be one awesome feature to be added to the game.
    8 and 9 are actually alternatives. If one works, the other isn't necessary. But I loved the incubator idea!

I know if we could get that thing to work I wouldn't mind putting it up for my hack as well. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Finally got to the Four Island and started breeding for questions. Lots of questions on breeding popped into my head. Brace yourselves:

I haven't looked very extensively, but from what I know:

1) Ask MrDollSteak; he'll have a better idea of what routine or script may have been altered.
    2) A bit complicated to explain within this post. Basically, there's a subroutine at 0x080462C4. On each step, there's a counter that increments by 1. When the byte reaches 0xFF, it calls "daycare_relationship_score" at 0x0804654C where it does that species and trainer based calculations. Finally, it uses the random number generator then does a few things to it to determine whether or not you get the egg. Credits knizz's idb.
    3) The egg is determined when you pick it up. If you decompile the daycare man script, you see it using special 0xB8, which includes the building of the egg.
    4) Answered.
    5) Yes, I suppose you could do some sort of count down system with an extra byte in ram. You would look at that instead of the random number generator I mentioned in (2).
    6) This is actually about egg hatching, not the daycare. As there isn't the everstone nature inheritance in FireRed, all three of those have nothing to do with parents, so you should be able to implement it. Find where the egg hatches, and randomly generate all three of those again. Where exactly that is, however, I've never really looked at. Remember, though, that the player could calculate down to only a single egg cycle remaining, save the game, and soft reset repeatedly to get the desired nature/ability with extreme ease.
    7) Not very complicated at all. You can either follow the withdraw script and routine to where level is recalculated, or you could lazily write 00 00 at 0x080462E8. I believe that should be where the experience counter is incremented. Not tested.
    8) But then…what happens if it hatches while you have a full party? Also remember memory constraints. Normally, there are two bytes for item index and two bytes for quantity. Understand that an egg has 80. Now, with (6), it wouldn't be necessary to save all of it, but you'd still need some. Two bytes for species, 8 bytes for attacks (remember egg moves), 4 bytes for all six IVs (unless IV inheritance doesn't matter to you). It requires more space than an item has, so you'd have to find a way to make that item/something in the game know where to take that data from, as well as, obviously, a place to actually store it.
    9) Probably? I'm not sure where exactly egg cyles is stored, but if you can find where the 256th step decrements it within the party, you could probably extend it to the pc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    H'okay, so I'm trying to create some routes on a ROM that contains snow in the landscape. I'm using a Firered ROM and Advance Map. Is there a way I can take some snow tiles from another area (say, the Seafoam Islands) and add them to the routes I'm editing? Or do I have to go through all of the steps of ripping sprites from other games?

Years
  • I haven't looked very extensively, but from what I know:

1) Ask MrDollSteak; he'll have a better idea of what routine or script may have been altered.
    2) A bit complicated to explain within this post. Basically, there's a subroutine at 0x080462C4. On each step, there's a counter that increments by 1. When the byte reaches 0xFF, it calls "daycare_relationship_score" at 0x0804654C where it does that species and trainer based calculations. Finally, it uses the random number generator then does a few things to it to determine whether or not you get the egg. Credits knizz's idb.
    3) The egg is determined when you pick it up. If you decompile the daycare man script, you see it using special 0xB8, which includes the building of the egg.
    4) Answered.
    5) Yes, I suppose you could do some sort of count down system with an extra byte in ram. You would look at that instead of the random number generator I mentioned in (2).
    6) This is actually about egg hatching, not the daycare. As there isn't the everstone nature inheritance in FireRed, all three of those have nothing to do with parents, so you should be able to implement it. Find where the egg hatches, and randomly generate all three of those again. Where exactly that is, however, I've never really looked at. Remember, though, that the player could calculate down to only a single egg cycle remaining, save the game, and soft reset repeatedly to get the desired nature/ability with extreme ease.
    7) Not very complicated at all. You can either follow the withdraw script and routine to where level is recalculated, or you could lazily write 00 00 at 0x080462E8. I believe that should be where the experience counter is incremented. Not tested.
    8) But then…what happens if it hatches while you have a full party? Also remember memory constraints. Normally, there are two bytes for item index and two bytes for quantity. Understand that an egg has 80. Now, with (6), it wouldn't be necessary to save all of it, but you'd still need some. Two bytes for species, 8 bytes for attacks (remember egg moves), 4 bytes for all six IVs (unless IV inheritance doesn't matter to you). It requires more space than an item has, so you'd have to find a way to make that item/something in the game know where to take that data from, as well as, obviously, a place to actually store it.
    9) Probably? I'm not sure where exactly egg cyles is stored, but if you can find where the 256th step decrements it within the party, you could probably extend it to the pc.

1 - Apparently, FBI Agent had a fix for the breeding Day-Care bug. But I tested it (very fastly and carelessly) and it didn't work. I'll try again when I get some free time.
    2 - Instead of recalculating after every 255 steps, it would calculate how many steps I'll need 'till an egg is generated, then I walk those steps, and get the egg (It's like a countdown, so it doesn't need to recalculate all the time). Thanks for the information.
    3 - Yeah, I looked the old man's script, but don't understand specials... =/
    4 - Yeah.
    5 - You got the idea.
    6 - Again, I don't want to walk all the steps again after getting an egg with nature, ability and gender I don't want. That would just move the Special B8 thing to just before the egg hatches.
    7 - Thanks a ton!
    8 - There's an egg as item. It has a pointer to it's generating routine. Once you hit the steps it needs to hatch (countdown again), it would call the Special B8, which would generate the Pokémon. Also, if my party is full, it's sent to the Box.
    9 - Thanks again.
    Thanks azurile13! Always helpful!

Years
  • Hey guys! I feel like a complete twerp for coming here and asking this, but I really want to play some Hacks! I've seen some that have been saved onto a GBA cartridge but wanted to check if these are playable on the GBA as normal or do you still need some sort of emulation device?

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • With this script on a Hidden person event, it resets my game and sends me back to the start screen whenever I enter the map. Is there any particular reason?
    The tile is currently an unpassable box tile that I want to be replaced with a passable floor tile after the player "opens" it.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    Okay, I'm back again with another question, this time on scripting. How do I edit an already existing script? When I try to compile it again it doesn't seem to overwrite the original script as it gives me a different place in the memory to store it.

For clarification, all that I do is open the script in Advance Map, make my edits and hit compile.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back