• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Super Famicom

Hello, Dunsparce here.

Over the holiday season I purchased a Super Famicom, the Japanese version of the SNES system. Now, this is not the first time I've imported a system (I got a Bandai Wonderswan Color with 25 games and many accessories last year), so I know the ropes. I just wanted to ask if you think my collection is sufficient thus far ( * indicates it's exclusive to Japan, including games where other versions of them were available in the US for different systems):

Accessories:
    -Sufami Turbo*
    -Super Gameboy 2*
    -Super Gameboy Controller

Games:
    -Chrono Trigger
    -Dragon Quest I&II*
    -Dragon Quest III*
    -Dragon Quest V*
    -Dragon Quest VI*
    -Final Fantasy IV*
    -Final Fantasy IV Easy Type (aka Final Fantasy II)
    -Final Fantasy V*
    -Final Fantasy VI (aka Final Fantasy III)
    -Hoshi no Kirby 3 (aka Kirby's Dreamland 3)
    -Romancing SaGa
    -Romancing SaGa 2
    -Romancing SaGa 3
    -SD Ultra Battle: Ultraman Legend* (For the Sufami Turbo accessory)
    -SD Ultra Battle: Seven Legend* (For the Sufami Turbo accessory)
    -Seiken Densetsu 2 (aka Secret of Mana)
    -Seiken Densetsu 3*
    -Super Mario World: Super Mario Bros. 4 (aka Super Mario World)
    -Tales of Phantasia*
    -Wonder Project J*

If you want to know what the Sufami Turbo is, just look it up on Wikipedia.

So, what do you think? I'm not satisfied with my collection yet, but this is a good start, right?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Could anyone recommend me some PlayStation2 games? I'm starting to make a collection of them seeing as they are £4 each at my local second-hand tech shop.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Could anyone recommend me some PlayStation2 games? I'm starting to make a collection of them seeing as they are £4 each at my local second-hand tech shop.

Well, along with those that Captain Fabio suggested..

Final Fantasy XII
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness
    Ratchet and Clank series
    Metal Slug series
    Devil May Cry 1 and 3

The PS2 library is one of the best. You're bound to have fun playing the gems.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy X more than XII, though both are good games. Okami is a must-have, but Captain Fabio already suggested that. A couple more I'd add to that list are Tales of the Abyss (if you can find it...it's hard to find anymore but it's the best Tales game, imo) and the Kingdom Hearts series. The Katamari games are really good too if you like quirky pick-up-and-play games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Logging on to this for the first time in years since I randomly found this on Google while searching for Tales of Phantasia

You rule for being a Tales fan! ^^

I don't have many SNES games, but I am going to have to recommend Harvest Moon. It's not much compared to some of the newer Harvest Moons (and it's spinoffs, like Rune Factory) but it is still very enjoyable.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It's a good start, but check out Shin Megami Tensei 1&2, Shadowrun, and Lufia 2 if you want RPGs.

I haven't played the first 3, but Lufia 2 is pretty neat.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It's a good start, but check out Shin Megami Tensei 1&2, Shadowrun, and Lufia 2 if you want RPGs.

I haven't played the first 3, but Lufia 2 is pretty neat.

Hmm... Any idea how rare/expensive those SMT games are?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Hmm... Any idea how rare/expensive those SMT games are?

Well, I don't know about SMT2, but I found a copy of SMT1 for a decent price right here, assuming that you don't mind if it's the Japanese version.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

Well, I don't know about SMT2, but I found a copy of SMT1 for a decent price right here, assuming that you don't mind if it's the Japanese version.

As I stated earlier, it's a Super Famicom, which means EVERYTHING I have for it is in Japanese. I laugh at language barriers as I import my masses of Japan-only games for various systems. XD

Arlen

I heart ROBOT
    Years
  • Nintendo DSi

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, if it is, please move it, but anyway.

I've been thinking about getting the new Nintendo DSi (standard, not XL) and I want to know if it's worth the upgrade from the previous Nintendo DS. I've read several articles and they all say that it is worth the upgrade because the DSi packs extra features without a major extra price. I've handled it at my stepbrothers house and it feels very light but for some reason just looks a lot more classy than the original DS Lite? I mainly play Pokemon games on the DS and I don't know if it's worth getting the new DSi if the old DS Lite plays and runs the same. I heard it packs a handy sd card slot and that's another reason I'm thinking of converting. But I really want to hear everyone elses opinion before I go out and spend another 250 dollars. I also didn't get around to checking if the DSi can play GBA games? I was hoping it could also play GB games but I doubt that's the case (although that would be epic). So guys, what do you reckon?

Sources:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi
    cnet.com.au/nintendo-dsi-339295762.htm

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you want to keep playing GBA games, go with the DS Lite. If you want the enhanced features, go with the DSi. Those were the choices I had to make before I upgraded.

Years
  • I have a DSi and I don't use any of the other features because I think they were just after thoughts from Nintendo. They aren't really that great, the camera is horrid and that is about it for me.

However, it completely depends on if you are going to play GBA games on it, because the DSi DOES NOT have the card slot to support this function. So, if you want a DS that plays GBA games, stick with the DS lite or original.

On the flip side, if you would like to use it for different features like the camera, or the browser or different things that the DSi has to offer, then go for it.

They both run the same, just the DSi supports different features really. So, your choice. :3​

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • None of the DS handhelds can play Gameboy/Gameboy Color games, in case you're wondering. But yeah, you have to choose between the GBA slot (lite) or the camera and other spiffy things (DSi). I use the GBA slot all the time and I never even play with the camera on my phone so that was a major impact on my choice.

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    It is really all about what you think you're going to use as mentioned above the DSi dose not support GBA so therefore if you lack a GBA you will end up keeping both of them. If all you really are into is the games then in my opinion you're bettr of staying with the DS Lite.
    I just see no reason why most people would need those features on a DS. Thats just my opinion.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • if you want gba games get a dang emulater

I currently have the DSi, and our lite and phat broke :P
    I like the DSi, since I never play gba much Heck, I dont really even play games o.o

With the upcomming Pokemon Black and White, it has DSi enhanced features. and many other new ds(i) titles. Depends on your game choice really

I think with some hacking the dsi can do gba/ect, but im not too sure

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Could anyone recommend me some PlayStation2 games? I'm starting to make a collection of them seeing as they are £4 each at my local second-hand tech shop.

Other then the ones stated above, try the Metal Gear games, they really won't let you down.

Say do you guys know any good Turn-based strategy or TLoZ-like games?
    Most preferably for DS, PS2, PS3, GC, GBA, and pc (though I don't have a good computer)

I already have, and recommend to others:
    -Starfox adventure for the GC
    -Advance wars series (especially 2 and dual strike, for GBA and DS respectively )
    -Fire Emblem (6,7,8 (GBA)and Path of radiance (GC)are all great games, I didn't like shadow dragon though)
    -Final Fantasy tactics advance (both parts are wonderfull, imo. part 1 belonging to the GBA and part 2 for the DS)
    -Civilization (4 (PC) and revolution (PS3)
    -Disgaea (DS)

Though not related to any of the games above I also recommend:
    -Ratchet & Clank (Ps2,3)
    -Red Dead Redemption ( Ps3)
    -Midnight Club (PS2,3)

Years
  • For you elarmasecreta, I would HIGHLY recommend the Suikoden series. My preferred games out of them are the third (Suikoden III) and the fourth (Suikoden IV) which are both of the PS2. They are a little hard to get hold of at times, but it is 100% worth it.​

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • For you elarmasecreta, I would HIGHLY recommend the Suikoden series. My preferred games out of them are the third (Suikoden III) and the fourth (Suikoden IV) which are both of the PS2. They are a little hard to get hold of at times, but it is 100% worth it.​

As long as they've been released in Europe, I can get them easily.

The games you've mentioned are more like Golden Sun then Fire Emblem-like turn based strategy. They still look pretty good.

And How could I forget mentioning Golden sun, it is really a must for anyone with an GBA or DS

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back