• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Come to think about it with Gen V having B2W2 each gen has had a prequel-sequel game with Gen I and III having prequel (to the Johto ones), II and IV having sequel (the Johto games), and V having both.

I'd definitely love to see more sequels, and see old regions revisited in games other than remakes.

Based on my idea, Gen 7 would have the Yellow/Crystal remake pair, and Gen 8 would have the Gen 4 remakes... So, how about have Gen 8's main games be a direct GSC-style sequel to ORAS? I'm no fan of Hoenn, myself, but I know a lot of its fans would like to see it reappear in a sequel game (as a postgame region) like Kanto returned in Gen 2. (Plus, bringing back Hoenn may quell the inevitable complaints about Kanto returning in Gen 7.) This sequel, of course, would take place at the same time as Gens 2 and 4, concurrent with New!Crystal and the DP remakes.

Similarly, Gen 7's main games could also be a Gen 6 prequel (also done in a similar style to GSC) that would make Kalos concurrent with ORAS and New!Yellow. Again, not a huge fan of the region, but I know a lot of people would like it.

As an aside, another pattern I've noticed with remakes is that they get remade in the Generation that's their original Generation x2:

- Gen 2 (GSC) => Gen 4 (HGSS)
    - Gen 3 (RSE) => Gen 6 (ORAS)

My idea for future remakes mostly retains this pattern:

- Gen 4 (DPP) => Gen 8 (DP remakes)
    - Gen 5 (BW/2) => Gen 10 (Grey/Grey 2)

Only Gen 1 (and the Crystal remake) breaks it, but even then...

- Gen 1(.5) (RBY) => Gen 3 (FRLG)
    - Gen 3(.5) (FRLG) => Gen 7 (New!Yellow/New!Crystal)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'd definitely love to see more sequels, and see old regions revisited in games other than remakes.

Based on my idea, Gen 7 would have the Yellow/Crystal remake pair, and Gen 8 would have the Gen 4 remakes... So, how about have Gen 8's main games be a direct GSC-style sequel to ORAS? I'm no fan of Hoenn, myself, but I know a lot of its fans would like to see it reappear in a sequel game (as a postgame region) like Kanto returned in Gen 2. (Plus, bringing back Hoenn may quell the inevitable complaints about Kanto returning in Gen 7.) This sequel, of course, would take place at the same time as Gens 2 and 4, concurrent with New!Crystal and the DP remakes.

Similarly, Gen 7's main games could also be a Gen 6 prequel (also done in a similar style to GSC) that would make Kalos concurrent with ORAS and New!Yellow. Again, not a huge fan of the region, but I know a lot of people would like it.

As an aside, another pattern I've noticed with remakes is that they get remade in the Generation that's their original Generation x2:

- Gen 2 (GSC) => Gen 4 (HGSS)
    - Gen 3 (RSE) => Gen 6 (ORAS)

My idea for future remakes mostly retains this pattern:

- Gen 4 (DPP) => Gen 8 (DP remakes)
    - Gen 5 (BW/2) => Gen 10 (Grey/Grey 2)

Only Gen 1 (and the Crystal remake) breaks it, but even then...

- Gen 1(.5) (RBY) => Gen 3 (FRLG)
    - Gen 3(.5) (FRLG) => Gen 7 (New!Yellow/New!Crystal)
    I wouldn't mind seeing a future Hoenn but I think Hoenn as played out as Johto was/is. I think DP sequels would be good. Maybe after DP remakes. Gen 7 can be sequels to XYZ, maybe set in the British Isles or maybe Spain, the Neatherlands, or Germany. If they do Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8 I guess they could remake Yellow and Crystal then too (especially to age HgSs a bit more as thus far it's only like half as old as GSC were when they were remade) and have them be the prequel/sequel games of that Gen.

(btw it's fine if you don't like Hoenn, I have a similar attitude toward Kanto itself yet I would like it's fans to be pleased. Same with Unova...)

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I wouldn't mind seeing a future Hoenn but I think Hoenn as played out as Johto was/is. I think DP sequels would be good. Maybe after DP remakes.

I don't really care if it's either Hoenn or Sinnoh; I just want to see another sequel Generation besides Gen 2. That's the main reason why Kanto has appeared more than any other region, after all.

Gen 7 can be sequels to XYZ, maybe set in the British Isles or maybe Spain, the Neatherlands, or Germany. If they do Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8 I guess they could remake Yellow and Crystal then too (especially to age HgSs a bit more as thus far it's only like half as old as GSC were when they were remade) and have them be the prequel/sequel games of that Gen.

Yellow (released 9/12/98) was less than 6 years old when FRLG (released 1/29/04) came out, FYI. (In fact, RBY and FRLG are close enough to be playable on the same handheld, even if they can't directly trade.) HGSS, on the other hand, would be 9 in 2018 (which I would put in late Gen 7 instead of Gen 8), while FRLG would be 14--Perfect time for new remakes.

(btw it's fine if you don't like Hoenn, I have a similar attitude toward Kanto itself yet I would like it's fans to be pleased. Same with Unova...)

That's how I feel. I'm very much a "Kanto, Johto, and nothing but" person, but I want fans of the other Gens to be happy, too. (Unlike certain other fans at other sites who would rather see Gen 1 skipped over for Gen 4 and permanently left behind in the GBA era because "Kanto was boring.")

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • If you want to play the exact same game you enjoyed as a child, then you should just go hunt down your old cartridges. A good remake is supposed to change things up and not just rehash the original games with prettier graphics. This is why HGSS and ORAS were much better remakes than FRLG; they weren't afraid to add new things and reinvent the old games.

And, HGSS were supposed to be FRLG sequels, because GSC were RBY sequels. Gen 2 was a direct follow-up to the events of Gen 1 in the same way that B2W2 was a direct follow-up to the events of BW. Not only did we revisit Kanto again and see how it changed after 3 years, but there were constant references to the events of "3 years ago" throughout the games. The Team Rocket plot is literally a direct continuation of Gen 1's Team Rocket plot and the aftermath of their disbanding. How did you not get this?

I still think most people would want to play against Red with his original team in a remake. This si the first I've heard any complaints about that. And also, the Team Rocket plot is a direct continuation in HG/SS...what are you trying to say?

I think you're way overthinking this. Those games are good as they are. They have enough new features and still are true to the originals, which I think giving Red a whole new team and adding the possibility of fighting Leaf instead stray way too far off course for staying true.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I still think most people would want to play against Red with his original team in a remake. This si the first I've heard any complaints about that.

Well, then, HGSS already failed at that, because as others have pointed out, Red didn't even have his original team to begin with. (Last time I checked, he didn't have a Lapras in GSC.)

And, trust me, a lot of people have complained about Leaf not being in HGSS. Naturally, people who picked Leaf in FRLG don't like being told they played the games "wrong" with her being de-canonized, and the favoring of Red comes off as kind of sexist (especially in the same games that arbitrarily replaced the original female protagonist with a new one--HGSS were very unkind to female PCs).

And also, the Team Rocket plot is a direct continuation in HG/SS...what are you trying to say?

Because, you were trying to argue that they weren't sequels.

I think you're way overthinking this.

Yeah, how dare I care about storylines and continuity! I need to just button mash and focus on breeding and EV training like everyone else, because that's what these games are all about. *eyeroll*

Those games are good as they are. They have enough new features and still are true to the originals, which I think giving Red a whole new team and adding the possibility of fighting Leaf instead stray way too far off course for staying true.

But, Lyra and the new Safari Zone don't? Consistency!

He's right in some way though—if HG/SS extend off anything, it's FR/LG. We've got landmark designs taken right from it, Red's design is based off it, and some of the music takes cues from it. My qualm to the localisation is that they didn't localise Green as Green—righting a wrong from the very start. Goddamn nostalgia demands.

HG/SS strays a fair bit off the course already, too. I wouldn't complain if it were the most "true", but then, while I like the servicing of older fans, I think they need to change things around.

If we see a remake of Red/BlueGreen I'd like them to really change the storyline and features more—like what OR/AS is to R/S. FR/LG seems terrible just because they tried to stick to being a tried-and-true remake, in my opinion. The only time we get real major changes (aside from the Pokémon mechanics) is when we reach the Sevii Islands.

If you're referring to me, I'm a she. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Years
  • He's right in some way though—if HG/SS extend off anything, it's FR/LG. We've got landmark designs taken right from it, Red's design is based off it, and some of the music takes cues from it. My qualm to the localisation is that they didn't localise Green as Green—righting a wrong from the very start. Goddamn nostalgia demands.

HG/SS strays a fair bit off the course already, too. I wouldn't complain if it were the most "true", but then, while I like the servicing of older fans, I think they need to change things around.

If we see a remake of Red/BlueGreen I'd like them to really change the storyline and features more—like what OR/AS is to R/S. FR/LG seems terrible just because they tried to stick to being a tried-and-true remake, in my opinion. The only time we get real major changes (aside from the Pokémon mechanics) is when we reach the Sevii Islands.
    That's very much true. When we were discussing the changes they could make to the RS storyline/setting for OrAs the only example for Fr/Lg I could come up with was the interuption after the seventh gym to introduce those islands (and now that I think about it the location of where you can find Moltres). HgSs had the new routes and detour to the Safari zone. OrAs had Mega evolutions, Primals, the Lati appearing early on, and even a post game story before the usual/typical post game.

Yeah HgSs didn't have to change Kris for Lyra. I wonder, if they do remake Crystal if we'll see Kris again...since the excuse of GS had no female protag to begin with won't hold for Crystal. So in the end OrAs didn't only add all of the evolutionary relatives and their evolution methods but are the first remakes to have a female protagonist we're all familiar with and as far as we know is equal to the male counterpart in story.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It sort of makes sense. The next (and final) set of games for Generation VI will come as a pair which was kinda confirmed by the coding of the ORAS demo. If they take a break for 2015, which would be logical considering they released XY in 2013 and ORAS in 2014 then 2016 would be an ideal year to finish Generation VI. Not only would it be a 3 year life-span for Gen VI which seems to be the most common, it would also mark the 20th anniversary of the release of Red/Green which gives reason to why they could remake Red/Green in XY graphics. Not to mention that we got FRLG not long after the release of Ruby and Sapphire.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    That's very much true. When we were discussing the changes they could make to the RS storyline/setting for OrAs the only example for Fr/Lg I could come up with was the interuption after the seventh gym to introduce those islands (and now that I think about it the location of where you can find Moltres). HgSs had the new routes and detour to the Safari zone. OrAs had Mega evolutions, Primals, the Lati appearing early on, and even a post game story before the usual/typical post game.

I agree 100%. A few months ago, I wrote this laundry list of things that could be implemented in a Yellow remake:

My Ideal Yellow Remake:

1. Day/Night
    2. Berry Trees
    3. All of the first 251 Pokémon in the Regional Dex, plus their evos and babies from Gens 3, 4, and 6
    4. Pokémon Amie
    5. GB Sounds available near start of game
    6. Moss Rock added to Viridian Forest and Ice Rock added to Seafoam Islands (for Leafeon and Glaceon)
    7. New electromagnetic area added near Power Plant (for Magnezone)
    8. Starter Pikachu gets a Light Ball around Cerulean or Vermillion (around the time it started to become obsolete in the original)
    9. Rival's Eevee can now evolve into either Espeon, Umbreon, or Leafeon in addition to the original three Eeveelutions (couldn't think of a way to fit either Glaceon or Sylveon onto his team)
    10. Jessie and James are a double battle and have more appearances after Silph Co.
    11. Level curve is the same as Yellow, but with two major exceptions--Koga's ace is now Level 42, and Sabrina's is Level 45 (they were both Level 50 in the original, way too high for that point of the game)
    12. Pikachu can now learn Surf straight from the HM
    13. The VS Seeker from FRLG returns
    14. The Fame Checker from FRLG also returns, but now has a reward for completing it
    15. The gift Kanto Starters are all holding Mega Stones
    16. The Sevii Islands return, but are expanded and fleshed out into a real region (the extra islands that were cut from FRLG would also be included)
    17. The encounter with Lorelei in Icefall Cave would be a tag battle against Petrel and Proton
    18. Prof. Rowan shows up in the postgame and gives you a Sinnoh Starter
    19. Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches (they'll all have Megas on their rematch teams)
    20. All Elite Four members appear in the postgame on certain days of the week in a Double Battle:
    - Bruno and Brawly at Mt. Ember
    - Agatha and either Prof. Oak or Bertha at Pokémon Tower
    - Lorelei and Lance at Navel Rock (couldn't think of any other friend for Lorelei, and HGSS already did Lance and Clair; plus, I really ship Lance/Lorelei)
    21. Eusine appears in Celadon City, and after you speak to him, the Legendary Dogs will start roaming Kanto
    22. The following later Gen characters all have cameos: Silver, Janine, Clair, Karen, maybe Alder or Diantha (I'm not a fan of Cynthia, and she's appeared in way too many games, IMO)
    23. Lugia and Ho-Oh return to Navel Rock, but are no longer event-exclusive
    24. Lugia's connection to Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres is fleshed-out
    25. Mewtwo's backstory is fleshed-out
    26. Either Dialga/Palkia/Giratina or Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem are all catchable in a postgame area (just like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza in HGSS)
    27. The (lame) Battle Tower near Seven Island is replaced with the Hoenn Battle Frontier (just like HGSS had the Sinnoh Battle Frontier)
    28. Unselected player character appears as a secondary rival with Clefairy as their starter (like Ethan/Lyra in HGSS)
    29. The following get Megas (among others)--Raichu (Electric/Fairy), the Nidoroyals (Poison/Ground), Clefable (Fairy), Vileplume (Grass/Poison), Ninetales (Fire/Ghost), Arcanine (Fire/Dragon), Machamp (Fighting), Victreebel (Grass/Poison), Golem (Rock/Ground), Rapidash (Fire/Flying), Exeggutor (Grass), Starmie (Water/Psychic), Mr. Mime (Psychic/Fairy), Jynx (Ice/Fairy), Tauros (Normal), Lapras (Water), Omastar (Rock/Water), Kabutops (Rock/Water), Dragonite (Dragon/Fairy), Crobat (Poison/Flying), Bellossom (Grass/Fairy), Azumarill (Water/Fairy), Quagsire (Water/Ground), Slowking (Water/Psychic), Miltank (Normal), Ambipom (Normal/Fighting), Mismagius (Ghost/Fairy), Weavile (Dark/Ice), Rhyperior (Ground/Rock), Togekiss (Fairy/Flying), Yanmega (Bug/Dragon), and Mamoswine (Ground/Ice)

As for the Rival's Eevee...

1. Eevee => Vaporeon (replaces Cloyster): Lose to him in Oak's Lab
    2. Eevee => Jolteon (replaces Magnezone): After beating him in Oak's lab, defeat his Eevee on Route 22 with a Special attack
    3. Eevee => Flareon (replaces Ninetales): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the day
    4. Eevee => Espeon (replaces Alakazam): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the morning
    5. Eevee => Umbreon (replaces Tyranitar): After beating him in Oak's lab, either skip or lose the battle on Route 22 during the night
    6. Eevee => Leafeon (replaces Exeggutor): After beating him in Oak's lab, defeat his Eevee on Route 22 with a Physical attack

Yeah HgSs didn't have to change Kris for Lyra. I wonder, if they do remake Crystal if we'll see Kris again...since the excuse of GS had no female protag to begin with won't hold for Crystal.

That excuse barely held water to begin with, since, last time I checked, Eusine wasn't in Gold and Silver, either. HGSS were clearly designed to be Crystal remakes just as much as Gold/Silver ones.

Plus, to add insult to injury, there's enough data to suggest that Kris originally was going to be in HGSS; there's an unused PokéGear icon in the games' data that resembles her. Why did they get rid of her?

So in the end OrAs didn't only add all of the evolutionary relatives and their evolution methods but are the first remakes to have a female protagonist we're all familiar with and as far as we know is equal to the male counterpart in story.

It's also worth pointing out that May was the first female PC to A) have a canonically established name, and B) appear in the games if unselected. (Two things that are also true for Lyra, the only Kanto/Johto female PC that is canon, as far as we know.)

It sort of makes sense. The next (and final) set of games for Generation VI will come as a pair which was kinda confirmed by the coding of the ORAS demo. If they take a break for 2015, which would be logical considering they released XY in 2013 and ORAS in 2014 then 2016 would be an ideal year to finish Generation VI. Not only would it be a 3 year life-span for Gen VI which seems to be the most common, it would also mark the 20th anniversary of the release of Red/Green which gives reason to why they could remake Red/Green in XY graphics. Not to mention that we got FRLG not long after the release of Ruby and Sapphire.

I'd be down with that, although I'd still prefer to see Yellow (or, at least, Red and Blue) over another Red/Green pair. If they go that way, though, they should, at least, try to incorporate Yellow's story the same way HGSS incorporated Crystal's.

Years
  • What about Glaceon and Sylveon?
    Maybe instead they could have the rival ask the player questions and overtime how one answers adds up to one of the eeveelutions (sort of like in a character quiz). Could be other NPC's too like Oak.
    Or maybe keep the three eeveelutions how it was in yellow but give them Megas. Both Diantha and Steven have them (while Cynthia has Mega Garchomp already set for her games remakes). Maybe give Dragonite it's Mega.

I hope they resolve what happened to Agatha. Shauntel seems to have met her and Bertha as one of her dialogs references them (at least in BW. Don't recall if she bring it up before battle in B2W2 too) so maybe she's alive...

As for the release of the games...In Japan starting with Gen III RS 2002, FrLgE 2004, DP 2006, Pt 2008, HgSs were in 2009, BW 2010, B2W2 2012, XY 2013, OrAs 2014. There seems to be a tradition of a break mid gen so it's possible GF will take a break (I heard they're working on a new game but it may not be a Pokémon game so that could fill in their money train gap for 2015). Then Gen VII 2017 on a new system, Third game 2018, DP remakes 2019, Break 2020, 2021 for the quater century annivesary of the franchise they have Yellow and Crystal remakes.

It would be agonizing to wait another 7 years for another set of Kanto/Johto remakes for fans of those games/regions...trust me I know the feeling with Hoenn and Sinnoh...

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    What about Glaceon and Sylveon?

I'm ignoring them. They don't fill any specific niche on Blue's team that another Eeveelution (such as Vaporeon or Espeon) already fills. (And, I don't like them as much as the others.)

Maybe give Dragonite it's Mega.

This, definitely. Poor thing's now the only pre-Gen 5 Pseudo who doesn't have one, and it would be the ultimate slap in the face if the likes of Hydreigon and Goodra got them before it did.

(Plus, it feels like only further proof that Lance will always play second-fiddle to the overrated Steven and Cynthia in GF's eyes. Not only does he never get the guest appearances and promotion they get--despite being part of the franchise for 7-10 years longer--but they won't even give his ace a Mega. Yes, he still has Pokémon that can Mega Evolve, but let's be honest, who wants to see Gyarados or Aerodactyl as his Mega?)

I hope they resolve what happened to Agatha. Shauntel seems to have met her and Bertha as one of her dialogs references them (at least in BW. Don't recall if she bring it up before battle in B2W2 too) so maybe she's alive...

Don't forget about Lorelei, who hasn't even been referenced in any game since FRLG. I will never be satisfied with the idea of her disappearing off to some tiny island and spending the rest of her life fighting off Rocket Grunts, never finding happiness or achieving anything great. Her entire backstory should be retconned and fleshed out, IMO. I wanna see her set up to become a future Champion.

As for the release of the games...In Japan starting with Gen III RS 2002, FrLgE 2004, DP 2006, Pt 2008, HgSs were in 2009, BW 2010, B2W2 2012, XY 2013, OrAs 2014. There seems to be a tradition of a break mid gen so it's possible GF will take a break (I heard they're working on a new game but it may not be a Pokémon game so that could fill in their money train gap for 2015). Then Gen VII 2017 on a new system, Third game 2018, DP remakes 2019, Break 2020, 2021 for the quater century annivesary of the franchise they have Yellow and Crystal remakes.

It would be agonizing to wait another 7 years for another set of Kanto/Johto remakes for fans of those games/regions...trust me I know the feeling with Hoenn and Sinnoh...

Remake Gen 4 before Gen 1? No freakin' way! Why should Gen 1 have to rot away in the GBA era while the newer Diamond and Pearl get shiny new remakes?

Years
  • The suggestion of RG/B re-remakes first seems to have come up after XY but before OrAs came out. Most thought they should do RS first (which they did) and DP too before they think of remaking something with a remake. I guess they could port it for newer fans to delay things. For reremakes I think they should do DP before Yellow and Crystal remakes, B/2W/2 before Emerald and Platinum remakes. Then Xy remakes...
    Or maybe from now on they should remake the third versions with Yellow and Crystal being remade before Emerald (yes more Hoenn) and Platinum are, and then the 'Greys' and Z(?) and so on. It'll help keep things cleaner than remaking each region one by one which at this rate seems to be getting messy...

I think we should be able to tell next gen if a great deal of Kanto mons are missing (like with the first remakes), they get a lot of evos (like the Johto mons which hinted at HgSs), or a lot of references+popular demend (HgSs and OrAs). Right now Sinnoh seems to be beating Gen 1 Kanto in popular depend. Part of that I think is because the can of worms another remake of Gen 1 will open for Gen 2 and Gen 3 (we just got HgSs 5 years ago and OrAs this year, imagining reremakes for those two seems a little tiring). Then there's a tiring of remakes in general...most want DP to be the last remake... with a sequel to B2W2 with the Original Dragon as the mascot of that game instead of eventual BW remakes. Hence why the suggestion of GSC sequels instead came up earlier on this thread.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The suggestion of RG/B re-remakes first seems to have come up after XY but before OrAs came out. Most thought they should do RS first (which they did) and DP too before they think of remaking something with a remake. I guess they could port it for newer fans to delay things. For reremakes I think they should do DP before Yellow and Crystal remakes, B/2W/2 before Emerald and Platinum remakes. Then Xy remakes...
    Or maybe from now on they should remake the third versions with Yellow and Crystal being remade before Emerald (yes more Hoenn) and Platinum are, and then the 'Greys' and Z(?) and so on. It'll help keep things cleaner than remaking each region one by one which at this rate seems to be getting messy...

And, how are people expected to play the Gen 1 games until then? Neither RBY or FRLG can be played on a 3DS, and they both suffer from horribly outdated graphics and mechanics. Sure, *I* still own my old Yellow and GBA SP (and I don't mind the older gameplay), but not everybody does, nor do they even want to.

(HGSS, at least, can still be played on a 3DS, so it's safe for now. However, the time when DPP come up for remakes will be when the newest handheld loses DS compatibilty, which will leave Gen 2 out in the cold, as well.)

I'd hate for the first two Gens to be left to rot in the past just because of an irrational fear of "re-remakes." The fandom for people who only like the older games (especially Gen 1) is already very small (just look at how inactive the RBY/GSC board is compared to the others), and it will only shrink even more if the Gens are left behind. :(

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Why yellow? it was a special anime version of the game , if any it should be blue/red/green getting a remake.

well well it is not like it is unplayable, you get plenty of (legits) blue and gbc on ebay(in germany anyway) for a penny.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Game-Boy-Po...9967?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item3f43ca6f9f
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pokemon-Blau-Gameboy-/121530143466?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item1c4bc2d2ea
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pokemon-Bla...9028?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item259c4b9524

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Why yellow? it was a special anime version of the game , if any it should be blue/red/green getting a remake.

Yellow was Gen 1's Third Version, like it or not. Just because it took a few cues from the anime doesn't make it any less canon (or less good, as this argument usually implies).

Oh, yeah, old games on Ebay, what a solution. Get ready to plop down $250.00 for a 15 year old game (more than $200 more than a new copy of OmegaRuby), and if it's any cheaper than that, then there's a 90% chance it's a bootleg. And, have I mentioned that the Gen 1 games suffer from dead batteries, too? Or, that you need a handheld that hasn't been produced in almost a decade to even play them? Or, that they're full of glitches and have graphics like this?

Meh. I'd buy it if it came out, but we've seen Kanto a million times already. I think it could wait til an anniversary or something.

We've only seen it four times (the last of which was half a decade ago), one of which was because of a sequel, and the other two times because of remakes. And, Gen 1 Kanto =/ Gen 2 Kanto.

Years
  • Again they could put them on the Wii U like they've done with some of the GBA era Mega Man games recently (I hate giving the same suggestions those against RSE remakes gave me...but I think GF is busy with the next Kalos game and Gen VII right now so they may not have any other remakes for the time being planned out. Also Gen VII maybe another Gen V...no remakes of any kind)

If I could go back in time and suggest something to the creators of GF it would be to make FrLg in Gen IV instead with HgSs in Gen V (both would be on the same device and thus be closer in appearance like the original counterparts...that and to add the Pt BF to FrLg, and to make a new one for Gen V, and give XY it's own and to bring Emerald's to OrAs.)

I also feel that the fate of every region will be that of Gen I Kanto...Gen III will join Gen I and II soon enough...

You know Yellow's canoness may be like Emerald's. PWT seems to hint at Emerald being canon but the PWT's post game canoness is debated, and meanwhile Steven appeared as the champion in HgSs (well the acting Champion as he hints at the RS main character), but then again maybe he's just attached to his former title which went to Wallace which went to the player character...
    Though then you think about how GF wanted to remake Blue as WaterBlue but opted out for LeafGreen due to Fire and Water not being as peaceful sounding or imagery containing as Fire and Leaf.

If they remake Red and this time due Blue they could go with Sun Red and Water Blue (I got the names for how Steven refers to Latios looking like a Water Stone in ΩR while in αs he apperantanly says Latias looks like a Sun Stone (I would've expected Fire Stone but then again the Fire stone is as orange as Charizard is...not like Latias' true red). Or maybe Dawn (Steven then compared them to Dawn Stones...wait...Dawn...Sinnoh Confirmed!) Yellow.

While Gen 1 Kanto may not be Gen 2 Kanto one of the things fans seem to want most is to revisit the region. For example with Hoenn (while I wanted remakes) some fans didn't care in which form it appeared in (a remake or in a sequel), they just wanted to revisit it. I think that's the mentality Kanto is looked upon. Gen IV Kanto is a finely made 2.5 D version of Gen III Kanto so fans who don't care about the story much probably don't see the need. The desire for a Kanto (and Johto) remake then may not bubble to the surface until HgSs are as old as FrLg are now...which seems like it'll be After or Before DP remakes at this rate (of 5 years (in Japan) between each first time remake 04 for FRLG, 09 for HgSs, 14 for ORAS, so 19 for DP)...

I just hope that they don't dumb down/make them easier the like how they dumbed down ORAS when they do get made...

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Again they could put them on the Wii U like they've done with some of the GBA era Mega Man games recently (I hate giving the same suggestions those against RSE remakes gave me...but I think GF is busy with the next Kalos game and Gen VII right now so they may not have any other remakes for the time being planned out. Also Gen VII maybe another Gen V...no remakes of any kind)

If that was a viable solution, then they would've done the same with RSE. Both GF and Nintendo want people to be playing the newest games, not 10 year old ones.

If I could go back in time and suggest something to the creators of GF it would be to make FrLg in Gen IV instead with HgSs in Gen V (both would be on the same device and thus be closer in appearance like the original counterparts...that and to add the Pt BF to FrLg, and to make a new one for Gen V, and give XY it's own and to bring Emerald's to OrAs.)

I agree 100%. I have always said that FRLG were made way too soon. While every other remake had, at least, 10 years and a handheld version separating them from the originals, FRLG was only 8 years, at the most, (just 5-6 years, counting international releases) separated from RBY, and it was made for the GB/C's direct successor (which could still play the original games). Think about how it would've felt if we had gotten 3DS Diamond and Pearl remakes this year; that's basically what remaking Gen 1 in 2004 was equivalent to.

Yes, I know they needed a way to complete the National Dex in RSE, but FRLG weren't the only solution to that. They could've always put in the Sevii Islands (or, even, Johto, which would've made RSE direct sequels) as a postgame region for the older Pokémon. And, of course, there were always the GameCube games (which ended up being necessary for completing the Dex, anyways).

I also feel that the fate of every region will be that of Gen I Kanto...Gen III will join Gen I and II soon enough...

I'd hate for that to happen, although, maybe, it is inevitable, especially with the fandom being increasingly focused on gameplay and competitive battling over stories. A lot of people really don't care if they ever see certain regions or characters again, because they're too busy breeding and EV-ing "perfect" Pokémon. :(

You know Yellow's canoness may be like Emerald's. PWT seems to hint at Emerald being canon but the PWT's post game canoness is debated, and meanwhile Steven appeared as the champion in HgSs (well the acting Champion as he hints at the RS main character), but then again maybe he's just attached to his former title which went to Wallace which went to the player character...

Maybe, this is why GF refuses to make direct sequels besides GSC/HGSS and B2W2; they suck at continuity. *eyeroll*

Though then you think about how GF wanted to remake Blue as WaterBlue but opted out for LeafGreen due to Fire and Water not being as peaceful sounding or imagery containing as Fire and Leaf.

If they remake Red and this time due Blue they could go with Sun Red and Water Blue (I got the names for how Steven refers to Latios looking like a Water Stone in ΩR while in αs he apperantanly says Latias looks like a Sun Stone (I would've expected Fire Stone but then again the Fire stone is as orange as Charizard is...not like Latias' true red). Or maybe Dawn (Steven then compared them to Dawn Stones...wait...Dawn...Sinnoh Confirmed!) Yellow.

I agree. I definitely don't want to see another Red/Green pair. I don't care if that's what Japan got; it's not what the rest of the world had, and as someone who had Blue, but not Red, the names "Red" and "Green" don't spark a whole lot of nostalgia for me. If they can't do a solo Yellow, for whatever reason, then, at least, give us international Red and Blue (preferably with Yellow elements mixed in).

While Gen 1 Kanto may not be Gen 2 Kanto one of the things fans seem to want most is to revisit the region. For example with Hoenn (while I wanted remakes) some fans didn't care in which form it appeared in (a remake or in a sequel), they just wanted to revisit it. I think that's the mentality Kanto is looked upon. Gen IV Kanto is a finely made 2.5 D version of Gen III Kanto so fans who don't care about the story much probably don't see the need.

Sad, but true. Again, nowadays, most people are competitive types who only care about gameplay mechanics, so they don't really care if they can ever play as Leaf or speak to Lorelei and Agatha again. Gen 2 Kanto is all the Kanto they need.

(Obviously, the demand for the Sevii Islands is almost non-existent. Unlike Kanto, they literally haven't been seen or heard from since FRLG, but practically nobody--except me, of course--has been calling for them to return in a future game. It seems like most people see them as a throwaway poor man's version of the anime's Orange Islands and want to see a game centered around those, instead.)

I just hope that they don't dumb down/make them easier the like how they dumbed down ORAS when they do get made...

Or, the previous Gen 1 remakes, with the Teachy TV, annoying help system, and unnecessarily nerfed levels (including devolving Giovanni's Rhydon to a Rhyhorn, making him the biggest joke of an 8th Gym Leader ever).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Probably worth noting that the credit for the first generation's third version actually goes to Pocket Monsters: Blue. As far as The Pokémon Company is concerned, they were both just alternate versions (別バージョン). They're treated within the same fabric—they're compatible with the older and newer games in the Game Boy line and they're not ignored—moves Pokémon could learn from each alternate version were always counted and considered valid (with the exception of the Odd Egg's moves in Crystal). But as far as their canonicity is concerned, they've been largely ignored (unless you count Red's team). The story additions made to them haven't been referenced since, and the graphics and areas used in Gold/Silver are taken straight from the original Red/Green versions in Japan.

I know about JP Blue, and if anything, it was the "special edition." It was only given to subscribers of a certain magazine (and only in Japan), and it didn't add anything but a few new graphics and sprites (which were later reused in the international releases of Red and Blue).

Yellow, on the other hand, altered the story and even added a few new characters, which is the template that would later be used for Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. People need to get over their anti-anime bias (or whatever else) and stop ignoring/dismissing Yellow's contribution to the main series.

To get back to a point I mentioned earlier...

Think about how it would've felt if we had gotten 3DS Diamond and Pearl remakes this year; that's basically what remaking Gen 1 in 2004 was equivalent to.
    I actually went and plotted out this theoretical FRLG-style Gen 4 remake:

If DP remakes were made like FRLG:
    - 2014 release
    - Made for the 3DS
    - All 151 Pokémon of the original Sinnoh Dex (and only that)
    - No Megas allowed until postgame
    - No cross-region trading/transferring allowed until postgame
    - No seasons, character customization, or Pokémon Amie
    - No features or story elements from Platinum (these are Diamond/Pearl remakes, dammit)
    - Barry walks you step-by-step through your first battle against Starly
    - Lucas/Dawn gives you a Teachy TV along with the 5 Poké Balls
    - Intrusive help system that can be activated at any time by an easily-accessible button on the Pokétch
    - Midway through the game, Barry gives you a Fame Checker device that has no reward other than wasted time
    - All major NPCs have the exact same teams as Diamond/Pearl, with two exceptions:
    - Volkner is knocked down two levels and has a Luxio instead of Luxray
    - The Elite Four and Champion are all knocked down two levels each
    - A few random islands are added to the story
    - They have little-to-no backstory or development
    - They serve no purpose other than to pad the postgame and give you Mega Stones and non-Sinnoh Dex Pokémon
    - You visit the first three between Candice and Volkner for no reason other than a tedious, irrelevant sidequest
    - More were planned, but they had to be scrapped for time reasons; you only get about half of what was planned in total
    - Aaron is from one of the new islands, and after obtaining the National Dex, he leaves his post at the Elite Four to fight off a couple of Galactic Grunts on his home island
    - When he returns, the Elite Four and Champion enter rematch mode (Gym Leader rematches, what are those?)
    - It is implied that he will later quit the Elite Four to spend the rest of his life fighting Galactic Grunts on that tiny island; he will never be seen or heard from in any other game again​
    For all of the people who want to see Gen 4 remakes next: Wouldn't these games suck? Wouldn't they feel like a step backwards from even Platinum, let alone any newer games? Wouldn't they feel like rushed, lazy games that were tossed together at the last minute?

Well, that's what Gen 1 is stuck with. :sideways:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I still argue Crystal is the benchmark. I'd argue that it set the fairly large scale that each director's cut version would actually add.

Well, of course, Crystal added more than Yellow, just like Emerald added more than Crystal, and Platinum added more than Emerald. But, none of them would've happened had Yellow not set the standard, first.

But, Crystal didn't borrow things from the anime, so it's automatically "better," right? :rolleyes2:

Years
  • @ BN. I was going to point out that perhaps if they wouldn't have skipped remakes in Gen V we've would've gotten ORAS there...which is an example easier to imagine as we got something to compare it to. A V ORAS with graphics similar to HgSs instead of 3D graphics. I think that besides the dumbing down they've learned a lot from the past two sets of remakes. Now I hope whatever they do remake next will solve the dumbing down (also HgSs succeeded where ORAS failed, a fun post game battle facility...sadly Emerald had one even more fun than HgSs but it wasn't used due to GF thinking people don't have enough time...yet fans manage to magically find time to EV train and breed perfect mons...).
    As for the story...sadly the reason ORAS was dumbed down was due to people wanting to skip the story/not having time. Seriously though it feels so much better to finish something you put a lot of time into and had difficulty with rather than something that has horrible AI...and has nothing else to spend one's time challenging. GF may as well cut down the number of mons back to 151 to make it easier...

Uh sorry for the rant there, back on topic. FrLg's credits reference Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow as the four mascots appear in the credits. So it seems GF acknowledgeds all four. I think Blue deserves to be acknowledged. And really international Red and Blue owe a lot to Jp Blue's as it's superior sprites were used instead of the awful RG sprites. Arguably Blue set things up for Yellow which set things up for GS (using similar graphics) as well as inspiring other third versions. One of the arguements for Crystal setting the benchmark is due to having a mascot connected to the other two (something Jp Blue sets up) instead of a mascot that appeals to fans (people seem to have grown as tired of Pikachu as they did with Kanto at this point...but more seeming to like it's less looked upon evo Raichu) of the anime.
    Also arguably Emerald set the benchmark with having the third member of the trio play a role in the third version/sequels. Oh but Platinum did too with formes...Now B2W2 may just set up a two forme sequels thread for the next Kalos games...only time will tell if Kyurem's games will be a permanent addition to the games.

I hope that if GF remakes Yellow the starter will be Pichu holding Light Orb and with the item changed so it'll boost Pichu's stats too. That would make it somewhat different from Yellow. One can then gain access to a Thunder Stone after defeating Team Rocket at Celadon. Also they could add that canonizes Team Rocket's involvement in the birth of Mewtwo which isn't fully canon in the games or even really hinted at. They could have a post game plot where Giovanni goes to Celadon cave with the remnants of Team Rocket and manipulates Mewtwo like in the anime and forces to Mega Evolve (changing back and force between it's Mega evolutions). They could have a 7 or so year-old Silver appear and tell the player how he can stop Mewtwo which can escape Gio's grasp like Groudon and Kyogre did in the Hoenn games. Blue and the males of the E4 minus go and follow Mewtwo and tell the player to find a solution to all of this as she/he's the champ. A young mysterious boy (Silver) gives the player the gene from GSC which should attact Mewtwo to him/her but first must find Mew. Mew can then be found at one Island where Moltres was but before that the player is blocked by Team Rocket members looking for Gio who vanished after losing Mewtwo. They hear Team Rocket is busy looking for an item call the 'Emerald'(a reference to the Ruby and Sapphire in FrLg and how Mew thus far was only obtainable through capture (by event) in Emerald). Leaf/Red (appearing as a Sevii native) help the player and Lorerei battle off Team Rocket and find the stone at Four island but Archer and the executives retrieve it before. They then reach the HQ but are challenged by Team Rocket Excutives P and L. Luckily Oak and Agatha come and help fend them off allowing Leaf and Red an escape they battle A and A in a tag battle and retrieve the Emerald. Giovanni appears and tells the player to hand him the Emerald and battles the player after sending the opposite sex chara flying with his Nidoking. after defeating him Gio tells the player the Emerald actually an orb that is said to have attracted a Green Dragon to save a region in times of trouble. He tells the player he doesn't know how else to stop Mew. The player puts the Jade Orb away and gives Gio the gene and Leaf tells him of Mew, they all go to One island but everyone but the player is repelled by a strange barrier. The player is allowed inside and find Mew who is inside a cavern decorated with cave paintings of a strange looking Mew (Mega Mew) covered in light. The player fights Mew and gains a Mega Stone and the uses the gene to battle Mewtwo which nearly destroys Ember Island if not for Mew which emerges from it's Pokeball and challenges Mewtwo. Then one captures Mew and Giovanni leaves...TBC

Back