• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    What i'd really like to see that I haven't seen nintendo or pokemon games in general is a Phone/Tablet port or upgraded version etc. I'm assuming its an agreement they have with nintendo or something related. Not an emulated version but a built from the ground up code base for a tablet or phone.

Buuut I'd also buy a remake with 6 gen enhancements for any generation prior to generation 6, i really like what they've done here. Mega evolution is the least used feature for me though. but everything else is nice :p

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Preschoolers have Pokemon, so I think that young Silver would be able to. And even if it weren't legal, his dad is Giovanni, so I doubt it would matter much.

I think I'll avoid discussing my lack of faith in this becoming an actual game, and just talk about what would be cool about them. Firstly, the Vs Seeker being brought back would be pretty friggin sweet, I must say.
    Or perhaps give Kanto a device like the Pokegear, Pokenav, ect. that has a Vs Seeker like function.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Don't flame at me for this. I find the Kanto mainland to be absolutely stale. The only place which is rather interesting is the Seafoam Islands. The rest of the region just seems really boring with trainers and stuff.

It is the region that started it all, but sadly Kanto isn't even as exciting as Unova (which is one region I terribly dislike).

Hence, I say no to another Red/Blue or Yellow remake. We don't need more Kanto. It's overhyped like crazy. The games are fun, but Kanto appeared just too many times.

Kanto isn't a bad region at all. It suffers from limitations in design, because, let's face it, the games are originally from the mid-90s and made for the classic Game Boy, so they couldn't have stuff like volcanoes and waterfalls. But what they did with the resources they had was pretty good.

Also, Kanto is the least linear region in the series, how can it be bad? It would probably only need a better postgame to keep it fresh. Of course it's not as flashy as Hoenn, or Sinnoh, but that's because it's mostly an urban region.

I don't think we'll get any new games in Kanto, but we can never have enough fanservice of it. Without Kanto, there would be no Pokémon.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Kanto isn't a bad region at all. It suffers from limitations in design, because, let's face it, the games are originally from the mid-90s and made for the classic Game Boy, so they couldn't have stuff like volcanoes and waterfalls. But what they did with the resources they had was pretty good.

Also, Kanto is the least linear region in the series, how can it be bad? It would probably only need a better postgame to keep it fresh. Of course it's not as flashy as Hoenn, or Sinnoh, but that's because it's mostly an urban region.

I don't think we'll get any new games in Kanto, but we can never have enough fanservice of it. Without Kanto, there would be no Pokémon.

I understand that. I even acknowledged it in another post I made. However, I still find Kanto being excessively overhyped. It is a fine region, but there are other regions out there which deserve more attention.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I understand that. I even acknowledged it in another post I made. However, I still find Kanto being excessively overhyped. It is a fine region, but there are other regions out there which deserve more attention.

I disagree. More attention than Kanto? The region which started it all? Also, I don't find there's much attention given to Kanto since HGSS. Sure, we got the starters in X and Y, but that was pretty much it. Very far from being "excessively overhyped". It's like saying there are other Street Fighter characters which are more deserving of attention than Ryu.

Plus Hoenn for example is getting plenty of attention this gen. They got a remake and a **** ton of Megas. Right now I even believe it's the region with the most Megas. IMO that's not really deserved compared to Kanto for example, since Kanto has bigger importance in the series than Hoenn.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Kanto hasn't been in a game in 4 years, and hasn't been the primary focus of a game in now 10 years (North American 10th anniversary was the 9th). It hasn't been overdone, so I say we give it another look after OR/AS and the third X/Y installment run their courses - it would probably not happen until 2016/17, which would make the gap even further since we saw Kanto.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I disagree. More attention than Kanto? The region which started it all? Also, I don't find there's much attention given to Kanto since HGSS. Sure, we got the starters in X and Y, but that was pretty much it. Very far from being "excessively overhyped". It's like saying there are other Street Fighter characters which are more deserving of attention than Ryu.

Plus Hoenn for example is getting plenty of attention this gen. They got a remake and a **** ton of Megas. Right now I even believe it's the region with the most Megas. IMO that's not really deserved compared to Kanto for example, since Kanto has bigger importance in the series than Hoenn.

Prior to my arrival at PC, I have met an overwhelming number of people who worship the original games like gods and dissed every other version. "GEN ONE IS THE BEST. Pokemon has gone downhill ever since gold and silver". Anyone who wanted to discuss about pokemon in other generations were subject to condemnation. I guess this experience changed how I view pokemon generations.

Kanto has appeared in four straight generations, and it still can be accessed on modern consoles. To me, the region still feels very 'new' and has no need for a remake. Yes it is the region that started it all, but it gets really boring without much new content. What I hope is the return of Kanto in Gen VII with an all new storyline with new characters, but a Kanto remake now instead of a Hoenn remake? I will disapprove.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Kanto hasn't been in a game in 4 years, and hasn't been the primary focus of a game in now 10 years (North American 10th anniversary was the 9th). It hasn't been overdone, so I say we give it another look after OR/AS and the third X/Y installment run their courses - it would probably not happen until 2016/17, which would make the gap even further since we saw Kanto.

In terms of towns, cities, routes, and other locations, they could make some major aesthetic changes if they choose, so that Kanto feels like an entirely new region and not something we've explored before. Story-line in this generation of games would likely take place in future (a decade or two after original RBY and GSC events, maybe?), and that's more than enough time for things to change.

I'm not sure how many people would like seeing that, but I personally would.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Hmm, I'm not opposed to the idea, but honestly if I'm playing a Red/Blue remake, I'm going to want some nostalgia value, which would be lost there. I think for me I would always be trying to think of it like Red/Blue even if it wasn't trying to be and it just wouldn't work; call it an unfortunate bias? I think it's a cool concept, but I'd have to get past my own nostalgia lenses.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    Yet ANOTHER Kanto remake. I know they are running out of ideas, they had been since 2004. But it's a pretty bad excuse for not coming up with something new.

We want complete new regions, not rehashing old ones. Period.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I think this would be pretty good, though personally I'd like to see Gen VI be the last generation, and have all previous regions get remade in their own games, even going as far as to split Kanto and Johto into two games, with full new plotlines and everything. And have the Unova region encompass the locations from White/Black and B2/W2 in one game.

Also in regards to the Silver talk from above, about the legality of training, you can have your own pokemon at any age, but your journey for gyms/contests/any competitive style challenge requires you to be at least 10 years old.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I don't ever want to see Kanto ever again and this is from someone who started when Kanto was the only region in 1998. I'm more interested in Diamond/Pearl remakes/Pokemon Z and 7th gen coming.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Also in regards to the Silver talk from above, about the legality of training, you can have your own pokemon at any age, but your journey for gyms/contests/any competitive style challenge requires you to be at least 10 years old.

Ah, that makes sense. However, if you're unable to compete in any competitive style challenges until you're ten, then yes; if he did make appearance in new Red and Blue remakes, which would take place before GSC events, we likely won't have any chance of battling against Silver, unfortunately. I'd definitely like it, though, personally, but if you think about it enough, things like this will not make much sense.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    I love gen 1, its the generation that started my love for pokemon and it would be great to see it in the x/y engine. However i wouldn't like it to be a straight remake and i think it could be enhanced if after kanto you went to johto for a remade gen 2! Kind of like gold/silver but the other way round

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I was playing Smash 64 the other day and specifically the Saffron City stage in the game had me wondering about a possible 3D version of Kanto, and really with the way everything is laid out in it, I can't see how it would translate into 3D. Part of the beauty of the early pokemon games for me was playing the game on the primitive game boy looking at all the simple sprite work and design, but then imagining it in full detail in your minds eye. Because everything was kept so basic and minimalist it really let the imagination go wild. Even at the very start of the game in Pallet town there were those divider things at the edge of the town as kids we'd talk about what was beyond there and if or how you could get beyond them. In a fully realised 3D Kanto you'd lose a lot of those touches and it just wouldn't feel like the same place you'd dreamed up all those years ago.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • I was playing Smash 64 the other day and specifically the Saffron City stage in the game had me wondering about a possible 3D version of Kanto, and really with the way everything is laid out in it, I can't see how it would translate into 3D. Part of the beauty of the early pokemon games for me was playing the game on the primitive game boy looking at all the simple sprite work and design, but then imagining it in full detail in your minds eye. Because everything was kept so basic and minimalist it really let the imagination go wild. Even at the very start of the game in Pallet town there were those divider things at the edge of the town as kids we'd talk about what was beyond there and if or how you could get beyond them. In a fully realised 3D Kanto you'd lose a lot of those touches and it just wouldn't feel like the same place you'd dreamed up all those years ago.

You make a very interesting point here. A region like Kanto would feel a bit different when remade in the style of X and Y because you would need to keep the nostalgia factor in play, and it would be strange to alter the linear nature of those original games as well. I think a good remake could be done, but it would have to be approached much differently than, say, OR/AS.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I agree. Though, right now, there could possibly be more newer fans than those of whom played RBY and FRLG originally, so if they'd like to keep both sides satisfied, I suppose they'll likely have to find a good middle-ground.

What I believe would be nice if they could perhaps implement a way for us to swap graphics style between classic (ones from FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire, and so forth) and advanced (XY-style). Not exactly sure how tough it'd be when it actually comes to incorporating--could imagine it to be a little more difficult than average, since they would have to develop two versions of each tile, over-world, map, and other things--but I could imagine it to be worth it.

Plus, if they do manage to create such a feature, they could use it in future games at any time.

Ovi

A PokeTuber Maniac!
    Years
  • I wish I can see the day when they make one massive game were they incorporate all the regions and for once let us be able to catch all the Pokémon. I am not saying find all of them in the grass but I loved how in Gen 3 you had to solve all these puzzles to catch the regis. A fan can dream can't he?

Back