• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2022
    That helps. I found a typo that affected Blue and Green prize corner pokemon. You can re-patch fresh using the attached hotfix patch. The dratini can't be rolled back, but the prize corner should be fixed now.

sorry for the late reply i hope that fixed it ill try it out as soon as possible and report back thanks a lot

Years
    • Seen today
    I dont know if its because I am using a Red save file I downloaded to just test some of the later parts of the hack or something but I'm getting pokemon "leveling down" to level 50 when in the SS Anne tournament or in the random trainer.

Post the .sav file so I can take a peek in the debugger

Years
    • Seen today
    - The new daycare is wonderful, especially for filling out your dex by evolving weak pokemon. Did you think about adding a PC to the daycare man's house? It would make the process a lot more convenient.
    - I noticed pokemon taken from daycare evolves only once. If you put in Weedle, it will only evolve into Kakuna and not into Beedrill.
    - I accidentally taught Dig as a field move and used up the TM. I don't think that should consume it.
    - I would consider adding a visual indicator for the extra bag item space. It's easy to swap lists by accident and assume you've lost items.
    - If you're adding alternate challenge modes like nuzlocke, I'd suggest adding support for single-pokemon challenge in the style of Jrose11. All it requires is the ability to change your starter to any arbitrary pokemon, which is normally done via cheat codes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    - The new daycare is wonderful, especially for filling out your dex by evolving weak pokemon. Did you think about adding a PC to the daycare man's house? It would make the process a lot more convenient.

Will do.

- I noticed pokemon taken from daycare evolves only once. If you put in Weedle, it will only evolve into Kakuna and not into Beedrill.

This has more to do with the evolution routine. Gamefreak coded it to only handle one evolution per pokemon at a time. It will take some time to fully understand and address it without breaking anything.

- I accidentally taught Dig as a field move and used up the TM. I don't think that should consume it.

Will do.

- I would consider adding a visual indicator for the extra bag item space. It's easy to swap lists by accident and assume you've lost items.

A constant indicator is a bit tricky since all the tiles get wiped when the bag scrolls. But I can add a "swapping" notifier that briefly displays when the bag actually swaps.

- If you're adding alternate challenge modes like nuzlocke, I'd suggest adding support for single-pokemon challenge in the style of Jrose11. All it requires is the ability to change your starter to any arbitrary pokemon, which is normally done via cheat codes.

Perhaps in a future update.

Years
    • Seen today
    Another thought: is it possible to stop cut trees from regrowing? They annoyed me ever since I was a kid, since unlike strength boulders there is no advantage to resetting the trees. It's one of those annoyances that Gamefreak always kept around for whatever reason.

Years
    • Seen today
    Another thought: is it possible to stop cut trees from regrowing? They annoyed me ever since I was a kid, since unlike strength boulders there is no advantage to resetting the trees. It's one of those annoyances that Gamefreak always kept around for whatever reason.

It's not really possible due to how cut shrubs are implemented. The boulders are objects (like item balls), they can be shown or hidden, moved around, and count towards a map's maximum object limit. But the cut shrubs are part of the map's tileset that is drawn on the background layer (like signposts and bookshelves). You cannot change anything about the map's layout or tileset because this information is burned into ROM space. Cut works by utilizing a workaround while the current map is loaded in VRAM. It finds the shrub tile in vram and then overwrites it in real-time with that of a passable ground tile. The tradeoff is that the shrub will always come back when the map is loaded again from ROM.

Years
    • Seen today
    Interesting. You wouldn't think something as basic as those shrubs would require a hack like that. I can see the performance benefits, but in later gens I'd expect them being able to afford turning them into objects.

Years
    • Seen today

I did find a workaround for this. I made it so the daycare checks to see if the evolved pokemon you take back is able to evolve again. It wasn't too difficult since there are no pokemon that evolve more than twice.

Years
  • Hello. It's the guy with the weird glitches again. Although I didn't found any glitch this time around. None caused by the game, at least. Probably.
    I just started playing the latest stable master version. And I wanted to say that it feels pretty good for the Pokémon to have their Yellow movesets. But while I'm liking this version as well, I definitely prefer the lite version a little more, possibly for nostalgia reasons or whatever, but then again I have a small, somewhat contradictory request. Would you consider making a Lite version patch that has the Yellow movesets instead of the vanilla ones? I would love to play the lite branch with the updated movesets. And I honestly don't have enough experience with the code to build a custom version myself (yet). Thanks in advance! 😄

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I found a weird minor glitch with the pokedex. If you go down the list and look at the Area of each pokemon, eventually pressing A will make you quit back to the menu. It's not possible to reliably replicate - it seems to be based on the the exact moment you press the A button. Maybe something to do with the RAM?

Years
    • Seen today
    I found a weird minor glitch with the pokedex. If you go down the list and look at the Area of each pokemon, eventually pressing A will make you quit back to the menu. It's not possible to reliably replicate - it seems to be based on the the exact moment you press the A button. Maybe something to do with the RAM?

I just checked it out in both shinpokered and in a vanilla rom. Confirmed that this is a good ol' fashioned Gamefreak bug. Congrats. You found a new bug in a 25 year old game.

Looks like it has to do with the value stored for the current menu item selection. Selecting "area" should be a value of 2. But what's happening is sometimes that value set to 3 which corresponds to "quit". It's a bug in the HandleMenuInput function. I'll figure it out in a couple days. Afterwards I'll post a bug report in the sticky thread in the Previous Generations section of Pokecommunity.

EDIT: Oh, this is interesting. Here is what is causing the problem. Button commands for menus are handled by the aptly-named HandleMenuInput function. This is stuff like pressing up, down, A, and B. This function has no problem with pressing buttons simultaneously. So if you are quickly navigating the pokedex menu and you hit A to see the area while not fully releasing DOWN, the game will think you pressed DOWN an additional time before pressing A. You can accurately reproduce this by placing the cursor over AREA then pressing DOWN+A simultaneously. You can even try this with other selections and the UP button.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hello, just a quick question. I noticed that Butterfree in the master version 1.23 has its vanilla Red/Blue learnset instead of the Yellow one. Is this intentional? And does this happen with other Pokémon? Sorry for asking in case it's already changed in dev/future versions.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello, just a quick question. I noticed that Butterfree in the master version 1.23 has its vanilla Red/Blue learnset instead of the Yellow one. Is this intentional? And does this happen with other Pokémon? Sorry for asking in case it's already changed in dev/future versions.

I didn't do a copy-paste of the Yellow learnsets. I looked at the changes made in Yellow and massaged them into the red/blue learnsets to create a hybrid. This is most visible in the eevee lines where Yellow's changes were more about your rival having a viable movelist.

Years
  • I didn't do a copy-paste of the Yellow learnsets. I looked at the changes made in Yellow and massaged them into the red/blue learnsets to create a hybrid. This is most visible in the eevee lines where Yellow's changes were more about your rival having a viable movelist.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answer. I feel like Butterfree should at least learn Confusion at Lv. 10 as in future games because otherwise it is kinda useless upon evolving, up until Lv. 12. Beedrill can at least deal decent damage with STAB Poison Sting firing off of its higher Attack stat (and hit Caterpie/Metapod super-effectively).

Hey another thing, would you consider making an additional "SET" battle setting that doesn't increase opponent trainers' Stat Exp. and experience? Kinda like the "FAST" and "FAST!" text option? I don't like playing in Switch mode but I feel like the early game in the current Set mode requires a lot of grinding to consistently win battles. In early-game you as a player don't have a lot of options to tackle the increased difficulty of trainers outside of grinding, but after Misty you start to get a lot of good moves (Bubblebeam, Dig, Thunderbolt, Body Slam) that equals the playing field.
    I know that I can play in Shift mode up until then and just say no to the switch prompt, but it would be cool if you could add the extra option. Thanks

Years
    • Seen today
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the answer. I feel like Butterfree should at least learn Confusion at Lv. 10 as in future games because otherwise it is kinda useless upon evolving, up until Lv. 12. Beedrill can at least deal decent damage with STAB Poison Sting firing off of its higher Attack stat (and hit Caterpie/Metapod super-effectively).

Never hurts to go back through the evos_moves file and check for things I missed. I general, I'll set moves to be learned earlier if there is a difference between Red and Yellow.

Hey another thing, would you consider making an additional "SET" battle setting that doesn't increase opponent trainers' Stat Exp. and experience?

It's less involved to press B when asked to switch your pokemon. I'm running out of menu option bits.

I don't like playing in Switch mode but I feel like the early game in the current Set mode requires a lot of grinding to consistently win battles.

You are overestimating how much StatEXP affects early-game trainers. It actually does very little to affect enemy stats in the early game because the bonus points it grants is a percentage based on your level. The equation is as follows:
    Points to Stat = 0.25 * SQRT(StatEXP) * (level / 100)
    Consider a level 9 trainer pokemon where I've set the StatEXP to 640 per level.
    0.25 * SQRT(5760) * (9 / 100) = 1.69
    Because of rounding, that's a mere +1 it gets to each of its stats.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This is probably not a bug persay, but something i noticed when in the title screens of Red and Green but not Blue. This is also not the case in the actual Red and Green. Whenever the pokemon scrolls left it kinda cuts off whenever it's about to leave the screen. Especially with the larger sprites it's more obvious. I guess this is something worth noting.

Another thing to note during the intro scene where Gengar is fighting Nidorino. When Nidorino is jumping at Gengar. Im pretty sure that Nidorino is supposed to just hang in the air for a few seconds and then the title screen should show up.

Also here's a video i found for reference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWzt_Xu3X0

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    This is probably not a bug persay, but something i noticed when in the title screens of Red and Green but not Blue. This is also not the case in the actual Red and Green. Whenever the pokemon scrolls left it kinda cuts off whenever it's about to leave the screen. Especially with the larger sprites it's more obvious. I guess this is something worth noting.

Another thing to note during the intro scene where Gengar is fighting Nidorino. When Nidorino is jumping at Gengar. Im pretty sure that Nidorino is supposed to just hang in the air for a few seconds and then the title screen should show up.

Also here's a video i found for reference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWzt_Xu3X0

Sounds like some minor adjustments could be made.

The title screen scrolls pokemon a certain number of tiles to the left per frame before erasing them. It's the same with every version, but I think the red/green sprites are making it more noticeable. I might be able to scroll it for a frame or two more before erasing it. The main thing to avoid is scrolling it so much that it rolls back around to the right side of the screen.

The intro cinematic is based on Blue. It looks like GF tweaked it so that the fade-out happens sooner for a more cinematic flair. I'll see if I can tweak it back.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Alright this is something i forgot to mention.
    This is something really minor that has to do with getting the town map from Daisy in pallet. Instead of the text saying " It's a big map this is useful" In the japanese builds. It should go something like this " It's a map of KANTO!... It would be great if she gave it to me, right?"

And also in Jp Blue the pokemart sign is supposed to say "Shop" instead of "mart". In addition the Super Gameboy borders for the jp builds should say "pocket monsters"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Alright this is something i forgot to mention.
    This is something really minor that has to do with getting the town map from Daisy in pallet. Instead of the text saying " It's a big map this is useful" In the japanese builds. It should go something like this " It's a map of KANTO!... It would be great if she gave it to me, right?"

And also in Jp Blue the pokemart sign is supposed to say "Shop" instead of "mart". In addition the Super Gameboy borders for the jp builds should say "pocket monsters"

Here's what I'll use for a translation:
    text "A map of Kanto!"
    line "...... Wouldn't"
    cont "it be nice if you"
    cont "could have it?"
    done
    To maintain style consistency, "Kanto" should be lowercase in this instance because it refers to a real world location (see "Guyana" and "Lightning American").

Attached are the fixes to the text tiles. The version texts in the Red-JP and Blue-JP SGB boarders are actually supposed to be off-center. Considering those borders are displayed all the time, I decided to keep them centered to prevent annoying the bejeezus out of people (me included).

Attachments

• Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      Capture1.PNG
      24.9 KB · Views: 7
      Capture2.PNG
      49.8 KB · Views: 7
      Capture3.PNG
      47.4 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:
    Back