• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    The new bps patches aren't working, it's giving me "This patch is broken and can't be used". I tested FLIPS with an unrelated bps patch as control so it's not a problem with that.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Yep, works fine now. On an unrelated note, I would consider making 60fps mode the default mode for the hack. It works so well that I don't see any reason ever not to use it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just finished working on implementing the "Bill's secret garden" rumor from my youth. Added it as a nice little easter egg feature.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Here i am again with more things that should be delocalized in the Japanese builds.

Firstly, please correct me if if this was changed. Porygons dex entry in Red and Green only should state it's species name to be "CG Pokemon" instead of " Virtual pokemon".

Second, the two kids on the third floor of the Celadon Department Store should say they're trading Haunter for Kangaskhan in Red and Green. The boy who recieves the Haunter should call himself " The Haunter maniac".

Third, Blizzard should have a 30% chance to freeze the enemy, this is only the case in all the gen 1 japanese games. This got changed in the international releases for some reason.

Fourth, the Snes in the players bedroom should say Famicom.

Fifth, the Red and Green save sound effect should be restored too. (sounds the same as in Gold Silver and Crystal).

Lastly, in Jp Green the Nidoran in the npc's house in Pewter should play the Nidoran female cry instead of the males cry. This was not carried over into Red and Blue.

Anyways sorry for the mouthful. This should likely be the last of the delocalization stuff i researched about mainly on Bulbapedia and Tcrf.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Also here's a bit of a suggestion if you're interested. This person created higher resolution versions of the vanilla gen 1 back sprites ( Not the Spaceworld 97 ones ). Would it be okay to make another optional patch with these back sprites for all the versions, jp included?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6303/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Also here's a bit of a suggestion if you're interested. This person created higher resolution versions of the vanilla gen 1 back sprites ( Not the Spaceworld 97 ones ). Would it be okay to make another optional patch with these back sprites for all the versions, jp included?

From a technical perspective, it's not that simple. But more than that, I'm not comfortable with taking and assimilating what is essentially original fan artwork and efforts by Seasick that have not been produced as a general public resource. I'm considering using RHDN as a backup release space, so I want to remain cordial with that community.

Firstly, please correct me if if this was changed. Porygons dex entry in Red and Green only should state it's species name to be "CG Pokemon" instead of " Virtual pokemon".

The japanese "シージー" is literally just "C.G." but the english letters don't look as good on screen and leaves dead space. Also, "Virtual" holds a better localization meaning when it comes to how kids in 90s America understood it. None of us in school used "CG" in parlance like kids do now. Everything was "Virtual": Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Virtualboy, etc. It was totally radical.

Second, the two kids on the third floor of the Celadon Department Store should say they're trading Haunter for Kangaskhan in Red and Green. The boy who recieves the Haunter should call himself " The Haunter maniac".

Noted

Third, Blizzard should have a 30% chance to freeze the enemy, this is only the case in all the gen 1 japanese games. This got changed in the international releases for some reason.

No action on this. It would cause link battle desyncs within each branch.

Fourth, the Snes in the players bedroom should say Famicom.

I try to go with Nob Ogasawara's localization where appropriate. It's why I still have "Youngster" instead of "Shorts" and "Giovanni" instead of "Sakaki".

Fifth, the Red and Green save sound effect should be restored too. (sounds the same as in Gold Silver and Crystal).

Confession time. I'm really, really bad at SFX adjustments in this game. I'll give it the good 'ol pokemon try though.

Lastly, in Jp Green the Nidoran in the npc's house in Pewter should play the Nidoran female cry instead of the males cry. This was not carried over into Red and Blue.

This may have to do with it playing a text SFX instead of a call to the PlayCry function. If so, then there isn't anything I can do about it because changing it would also change it in the Oak Intro. I'll look into it. Nope, I'm totally wrong. It's a simple adjustment to the map script.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    I just finished working on implementing the "Bill's secret garden" rumor from my youth. Added it as a nice little easter egg feature.

You should consider adding something with the grass to the side of Pallett Town too. That one's a classic.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

So this has been a bit of a strange rabbit hole to go down. It turns out that Red, Green, and Blue all have slight differences. That sneaky Masuda!

All international localizations use the SFX for BlueJP. The Green and RedJP SFX, if I am correct on my hunch, still exist in a dummied-out file that isn't used for anything. Nope, I'm totally wrong. Save_3.asm is for dungeon-style maps. Meaning that USA Red and Blue have unique SFX just for those maps. Geez oh man this is silly.

Anyways sorry for the mouthful. This should likely be the last of the delocalization stuff i researched about mainly on Bulbapedia and Tcrf.

At least until some more obscure details get discovered. But thank you. It's quite helpful to have another set of eyes auditing this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Don't thank my eyes, thank my ocd.

Also i didn't know that the save sfx depends on map location, i never heard about that before until now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Vortiene and I had some back and forth discussion in the pokered discord server, and we got this little beauty to work. I think the colored pokeball animations are a nice addition to shinpokered. But also keep an eye on Vortiene's profile for the next release of his own project (I saw footage of some neat stuff he was doing).

Attachments

• Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)
      ezgif-1-8a7d997a47.gif
      13.8 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ah thats pretty cool. I usually lurk around the pret discord seeing the other projects the other folks are doing, neat.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Would it be possible to make a semi-lite patch with all the optional QOL features, but not the Yellow movesets, the set battle style changes, the fishing changes, and the changes to AI Pokemon moves? These four features are too different from vanilla and can't easily be avoided, but I don't want to give up the field move changes and the move relearner/deleter. Everything else the full version adds can really be avoided by a player who doesn't want to interact with them.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Would it be possible to make a semi-lite patch with all the optional QOL features, but not the Yellow movesets, the set battle style changes, the fishing changes, and the changes to AI Pokemon moves? These four features are too different from vanilla and can't easily be avoided, but I don't want to give up the field move changes and the move relearner/deleter. Everything else the full version adds can really be avoided by a player who doesn't want to interact with them.

That's not within the future scope. The long-term plan is to eventually tether most every feature to an assembler tag. This will allow people to custom compile to their own tastes with little to no assembly knowledge required. For example, the current development repos have this implemented with battle sprites, the female trainer, and metric values.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    From a technical perspective, it's not that simple. But more than that, I'm not comfortable with taking and assimilating what is essentially original fan artwork and efforts by Seasick that have not been produced as a general public resource. I'm considering using RHDN as a backup release space, so I want to remain cordial with that community.

The japanese "シージー" is literally just "C.G." but the english letters don't look as good on screen and leaves dead space. Also, "Virtual" holds a better localization meaning when it comes to how kids in 90s America understood it. None of us in school used "CG" in parlance like kids do now. Everything was "Virtual": Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Virtualboy, etc. It was totally radical.

Noted

No action on this. It would cause link battle desyncs within each branch.

I try to go with Nob Ogasawara's localization where appropriate. It's why I still have "Youngster" instead of "Shorts" and "Giovanni" instead of "Sakaki".

Confession time. I'm really, really bad at SFX adjustments in this game. I'll give it the good 'ol pokemon try though.

This may have to do with it playing a text SFX instead of a call to the PlayCry function. If so, then there isn't anything I can do about it because changing it would also change it in the Oak Intro. I'll look into it. Nope, I'm totally wrong. It's a simple adjustment to the map script.

One more oddity that i found that's different that i found between the japanese red and green versions and japanese blue and the international versions. Is that the trade that takes place in vermillion, instead of a little girl, it's a gentleman instead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    One more oddity that i found that's different that i found between the japanese red and green versions and japanese blue and the international versions. Is that the trade that takes place in vermillion, instead of a little girl, it's a gentleman instead.

Huh, so it is. Where did you find this?

Back