• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shinies

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I was too young to remember then. I think I encountered a shiny pidgey on my way back to new bark town. But did not have any pokeballs to catch it. D:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Other than the Shiny Gyarados, I came across a shiny Scyther and Larivitar. (Shortly after my Silver game crashed D:)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I have been playing pokemon since 1998. That's 13 years. In that time, aside from Red Gyarados, I have found but one shiny... it was a Rattata...

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I found a shiny Kygore which was very lucky for me.
    Kyogre? in Pokemon GSC?? :cross-eye

Anyways, I actually remember restarting my silver version like 100 times because I thought that red gyarados was a glitch and it was supposed to mess up the game or something :laugh: until I learned that it's supposed to be a "shiny" pokemon... yeah, that's how I learned about shinies :)

but I've actually never encountered a shiny other than the red gyarados, so... yeah :\

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Besides the red Gyarados I caught on Silver, I also managed to catch a shiny Vulpix. God I miss that Vulpix so much. .__. Hopefully when I go back to playing again, I'll find that Vulpix again.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • I was too young to remember then. I think I encountered a shiny pidgey on my way back to new bark town. But did not have any pokeballs to catch it. D:

that reminds me of a video, where a kid was SRing for a starter and the first poke he encountered was a shiny with no pokeballs. Red Gyra yes, and I also saw a shiny scyther.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I have seen a shiny Donphan in my Crystal once, I think. I know Pokefan Derek (outside Olivine with a Pikachu and only adds you if you have one too)called me and said he saw a shiny in the area. I know one time I was on...oh the name has escaped me right now, the island with Chuck as the Gym leader, and thus could not easily make it back and thus had to ignore. But I kind of remember actually answering the call another time. BTW this man only calls you about shinies in Crystal otherwise he just blabs about how great Pikachu is.

I have also seen in my late Silver pokemon with some different coloring around.
    *Bellsprout with Purple lips outside Violet near the fork between it, Goldenrod and Eckrotek
    *Light blue poliwag in the small pound outside Mahogony(fishing with the super rod)

are two I know of for sure. I saw quite a few of the light blue poliwag.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • In Pokemon Gold, I caught a shiny Chinchou while fishing with my Super Rod at the Fast Ship port in Vermilion City. It shortly after evolved into a shiny Lanturn, which I kept in my party. I also found a shiny Tentacool in Silver while surfing in Olivine City to train my Pokemon.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • In the original I/II games? Nope, don't think so. I mean I played Silver a ton when I was a kid, so I probably did but I just don't know. Besides the Red Gyarados.

I did have some excellent luck in FireRed, though. I caught a Shiny SUICUNE. :) I didn't know it was shiny at first till I showed my cousin and he pointed out that the colors were different.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I need opinions. Throughout my life I've ran into four shinies. (not including trades, or anything less than that special 1 in 8000-something chance)

Three of those shinies were found in hacks. The hacks didn't have any increased chance, glitches or anything to affect the chances so I still count them. My sister disagrees. She thinks it only counts if it was found on a real game on a real system.

Who agrees with me? Who agrees with her?

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • Hatched a shiny Togepi I think the second time I played Crystal. I was disappointed when I saw that it basically looks the same as a regular Togepi >.<

Shizz

Popcorn Fantic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    My first shiny was a Raikou, in pokemon Gold. o-o; I still have him and my shiny Quagsire in the Pokemon Stadium 2 box. XD

Smitty.

Forget who you were.
    Years
  • My first shiny was a Hoothoot, which I managed to catch. Luckily even though it was very early on in the game, I managed to get my Pokéballs before it appeared.

My second (and last so far) was a Voltorb in LG. I still have this one. :D

StarkePkMn

Master of The Sky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2013
    Of course there's the notorious Red Gyarados, but aside from that, I don't think I've ever encountered another shiny pokemon in G/S/C. And I dunno if I'm just lucky, but I'm always to find at least one other in all my other games, excluding first gen. Has anyone ever seen a shiny in the wild in any of these games?
    I just love shinies. I don't really know why, I probably wouldn't if those were just their normal colors, but they're so vibrant and fantastic. And I've also heard that breeding with a shiny gives you a 1/64 chance to produce a shiny. Which is pretty shoddy, but definitely better than the 1/1080 or whatever it normally is. My only problem is that I have a female Red Gyarados, so breeding isn't quite that simple.

I got a Shiny Pidgeotto, the funny part is when "I" got it, my niece was playing on my Gameboy Advance and found it, on my save, she raged hard, yet, this was me:

Shinies

Years
  • I KO'd Red Gyarados because back then I didn't see its importance. One of my first times in the Bug-Catching Contest, I encountered a shiny Scyther, and had heard that you got extra points for catching an alternately colored Pokemon. Unfortunately, Scyther got away.

Shelmet

Spiraling Disastertastrophe
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    Apart from the red Gyarados and the Egg with the 50% chance of being shiny, I found a shiny Misdreavus and Hoothoot.

Back