• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Is there any danger in patching an edited ROM with a Tilebase?

The only edits are a few trainer scripts, maps and events.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Is there any danger in patching an edited ROM with a Tilebase?

Well, you could overwrite massive amounts of data and destroy everything. But that's not bad, right?

On a more serious note:
    IPS patches are designed to find the difference between two files, log the differences, then force apply them to a new rom. If the rom has different data, there is a good chance you will be overwriting things. Whenever I make an IPS patch for a tiny hack like the Battle BG Switcher, I always let the person know exactly what was changed so they can see if it is safe. I'm guessing whomever made your patch wasn't so nice. So, I would patch a clean rom, the compare it to a clean rom in a hex editor and look for the differences and see if they overlap differences between your rom and a clean one.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Is there any danger in patching an edited ROM with a Tilebase?

High risk. That's why people usually do the rom base first and then add their things.

I mean, if I get a new firered rom, and apply JPAN's hacked firered engine ips patch, it's going to clear everything out lmfao

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Hmmmmm. Just wanted to make sure it WAS high risk. Gives me a reason to start over :P Been using ruby and there's not many good public rombases!

Ta!

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2014
    i need help Pokemon emerald hacking... im throwing team rocket in emerald and i need to know how to get more trainers not destroy the ones they already put in. i tryed to use a-trainer by going to trainer= advance trainer= change trainer amount. i dont know what to do here plzz help me

i was told that this was the best place to go

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Hmmmmm. Just wanted to make sure it WAS high risk. Gives me a reason to start over :P Been using ruby and there's not many good public rombases!

Ta!
    have you checked whackahack? Not sure they're still called that though, but I've seen so many ruby hacks there with a bunch of good rombases

seems like their rombases section disappeared lol... you might want to ask about it on their forum or use the contact us button under Site
    http://wahackpokemon.com/en/download/tiles

Last edited:

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    have you checked whackahack? Not sure they're still called that though, but I've seen so many ruby hacks there with a bunch of good rombases

seems like their rombases section disappeared lol... you might want to ask about it on their forum or use the contact us button under Site
    http://wahackpokemon.com/en/download/tiles

Thanks for the research but I'm beginning a new hack on FireRed. The only thing I don't like on the current rombase is the long grass, but that can be changed at a later date.
    In an attempt not to flood this thread I'd love to help out someone else, but nothing has come up yet haha xD

I'll ask another. I'm looking to change almost the entire Pokedex gaining sequence. I want it to instead be a collectable item which must be picked up before moving on. Same with the starter pokemon. I want to assume the person playing isn't a child and therefore knows the deal with the dex etc. Wondering how I'd go about this?

karatekid552

Years
  • Thanks for the research but I'm beginning a new hack on FireRed. The only thing I don't like on the current rombase is the long grass, but that can be changed at a later date.
    In an attempt not to flood this thread I'd love to help out someone else, but nothing has come up yet haha xD

I'll ask another. I'm looking to change almost the entire Pokedex gaining sequence. I want it to instead be a collectable item which must be picked up before moving on. Same with the starter pokemon. I want to assume the person playing isn't a child and therefore knows the deal with the dex etc. Wondering how I'd go about this?

Instead of giving an item, set the pokedex flag. It will look exactly the same to the player.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • Okay since my thread hasn't been approved (sorry)... what's the best way to replace all of a trainer's sprites? Overworld, VS, back... all of those?

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • Looking at AdvanceMap, how would I change the trainer sprites associated with the index numbers? I tried searching the hex to see if it was a simple table or something, but had no luck finding it.

LividZephyr

Years
  • Forgot to say I'm doing it in White 2, so I'd need DS stuffs.

I managed to replace the overworld sprites with BWOE and Nitro 2 since I figured out that it wasn't reading because there was no .NARC extension. However, that's all I have managed so far.

Front/back sprites and VS sprites are a pain in the butt though. Using the Kazo method across the board for this.

The issue right now for the front/back sprites is how the files are still compressed. I'm trying to use Tinke and kiwi to figure it out. It's not going well.
    The issue for the VS sprites is an error regarding unhandled exceptions, so it won't let me replace.

I'm trying here xD

karatekid552

Years
  • Looking at AdvanceMap, how would I change the trainer sprites associated with the index numbers? I tried searching the hex to see if it was a simple table or something, but had no luck finding it.

NSE Classic. That is the tool you need.

Okay since my thread hasn't been approved (sorry)... what's the best way to replace all of a trainer's sprites? Overworld, VS, back... all of those?

NSE Classic for the OWs and NSE 2.X for the rest. VS is just a zoomed in trainer sprite.

LividZephyr

Years
  • NSE 2.x won't work for DS games. I'm doing this on White 2. Damn...

And I am getting a headache :/

EDIT: UPDATE: Got the back and front sprites replaced. Don't know how I did it... but I figured it out!

Now for the VS sprites! Shouldn't be too hard now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    So I've been trying to edit the water animation in FR using the tile animation editor by Lu-Ho. After exporting every frame and editing in paint, I imported each .bmp file again and everything seemed okay. Animation played like it should in the preview. However, in-game the tiles turned completely black. I did save before closing the tool, so it's not that.
    Did anyone have this problem before?

Bumping this.
    Also, another question about the palette of the water animation.. Does the game use Pal4 for this? Or does the animation have its own palette using the same colors as Pal4, and Pal4 is only for the tile itself (not the animation)?

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks Scyther!

And @Hacker Bisharp Isn't that just the wrong type of msgbox? there's one i think it's 0x4 that prevents closure and doesn't freeze or anything like that.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I want to create a locked door, that will later be unlocked. I thought I could just make the door tile's movement permission unpassable, but you still go through the door. Is there a way to disable and then later re-enable a warp?

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I want to create a locked door, that will later be unlocked. I thought I could just make the door tile's movement permission unpassable, but you still go through the door. Is there a way to disable and then later re-enable a warp?

Sorry If this isn't a detailed answer but it's level scripts I think, I was reading A tutorial that explained how to do precisely that!

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • Bumping this.
    Also, another question about the palette of the water animation.. Does the game use Pal4 for this? Or does the animation have its own palette using the same colors as Pal4, and Pal4 is only for the tile itself (not the animation)?

It uses Pal 4 though the tile animation is actually separate to the tile.
    Use Luho's tile anim editor.

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Is there a way to edit where the player spawns ''initially''?

Also a question with flags, etc. If I delete the scripts that already exist, such as the Oak one in Pallet town where he pulls you back from the grass, does it free up the flag to be used for custom events? Basically like a clean slate...

Sorry for spamming the thread. I'm ideally looking for someone to be a sort of mentor, and not do the work for me but help me understand how to do it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back