• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Strange conversation

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2022
    Hello guys. I'm new here.

I don't know if exists another post like that. So if it exists, I'm sorry!

When I started my journey with pokemon, I was a kid, and I ignored to details in the dialogue. Now I'm old and look more deeply and see strange things. For example, nurse joy finishes the conversation at center pokemon with: "We hope to see you again!".

So, do you know other examples?

Note: English is not my primary language

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Hello guys. I'm new here.

I don't know if exists another post like that. So if it exists, I'm sorry!

When I started my journey with pokemon, I was a kid, and I ignored to details in the dialogue. Now I'm old and look more deeply and see strange things. For example, nurse joy finishes the conversation at center pokemon with: "We hope to see you again!".

So, do you know other examples?

Note: English is not my primary language

A lot of players talk about how Nurse Joy saying, "We hope to see you again" is creepy. Lol I never saw like that though. Instead, I think of it as her knowing that you're a Pokémon trainer engaged in constant battles, meaning that your Pokémon would definitely be hurt and/or tired. She "hopes to see you again" so that she can heal them up for you because it's better than leaving them hurt. It's not that much different to your doctor telling you that she hopes to see you again for your next checkup.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I had the same thought as the OP. When I was a kid I never really thought much about that line, but years later the thought occurred to me that "we hope to see you again" sounded like "I hope your Pokemon get the shit kicked out of them because that's the only reason I see you <3". Wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the world since Pokemon has always had a few low-key dark things in it.

But Serenity is probably right that that's not what they really meant and were going for a more kind-hearted goodbye sort of thing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2022
    A lot of players talk about how Nurse Joy saying, "We hope to see you again" is creepy. Lol I never saw like that though. Instead, I think of it as her knowing that you're a Pokémon trainer engaged in constant battles, meaning that your Pokémon would definitely be hurt and/or tired. She "hopes to see you again" so that she can heal them up for you because it's better than leaving them hurt. It's not that much different to your doctor telling you that she hopes to see you again for your next checkup.

For nurse joy, what you do with Pokemon is unknown, no? For example, they could be only a pet, but I got your point.

I had the same thought as the OP. When I was a kid I never really thought much about that line, but years later the thought occurred to me that "we hope to see you again" sounded like "I hope your Pokemon get the shit kicked out of them because that's the only reason I see you <3". Wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the world since Pokemon has always had a few low-key dark things in it.

But Serenity is probably right that that's not what they really meant and were going for a more kind-hearted goodbye sort of thing.

Lol Is good to know that I'm not alone :). So now I'm curious, what type of low-key dark things do you say?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I honestly see it as she hopes to see you again to make your Pokemon healthy, not that she wants to see them hurt. I bought into it too much when people said it was like...her being a sadist or something. But, tbh, it is a pretty strange conversation, I agree.

Years
  • I have never realized how weird that line is until someone pointed it out years ago. I think that's just unintended coincidence that it sounds so nefarious.

Another strange dialogue in Red occurs, when you trade your Raichu for Electrode with a scientist in Pokémon Lab. The man claims his newly obtained Raichu evolved. But this is most likely an oversight, since in Blue, you trade Graveler to the same man.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Lol Is good to know that I'm not alone :). So now I'm curious, what type of low-key dark things do you say?
    The first few things I can think of are stuff like:
    -Team Rocket murders a Pokemon at Lavender Town's Pokemon Tower in the Kanto games
    -how in the Johto games said cemetery tower gets torn down and replaced with a radio tower that did not have to go in that exact spot
    -several mega evolution Dex entries are basically like "the Pokemon is in excruciating pain" or "the Pokemon has basically become a bloodthirsty psychopath"
    -Ghetsis in B2W2 legit tries to kill the player (he wasn't going to tickle you with those ice spears)

"dark" for a series that's long been viewed as for kids anyway

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    My guess is that she probably says that because the Pokemon Center is a service, and by saying that she hopes we keep using their service? (even though its free lol)
    Now, on the strange conversations topic, in Lavender town, there is a little girl outside the Pokemon Tower, if you interact with them, they will ask you if you belive in ghosts, if you say no, she will mention a white hand on your shoulder. And it even appears on later generations. And it even ended on a creepypasta, which i gotta say, the whitehand sprite is kinda creepy.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • For nurse joy, what you do with Pokemon is unknown, no? For example, they could be only a pet, but I got your point.

Nurse Joy lives in a world centered around Pokémon battles. Children battle their Pokémon on routes every day, each major city in the region has a Pokémon gym that various trainers challenge, and an entire Pokémon League for battling exists. As a result, Pokémon are very likely to get hurt and/or tired all the time. Additionally, every time a trainer loses, he or she "blacks out" and needs to visit a Pokémon Center. Thus, Nurse Joy definitely has a ton of trainers that visit her Pokémon Center regularly to get their Pokémon healed because of battling. It's obvious to her that you are Pokémon trainer that needs his or her Pokémon healed. Because battling naturally results in your Pokémon needing a Pokémon Center, Nurse Joy "hopes to see you again" to ensure that your Pokémon are properly taken care of so they can get the rest and/or healing that they need and get back to doing what they love doing the most, which is battling, not because she hopes your Pokémon get hurt. I can understand why players think that though and it is funny whenever they mention it, but it's not what is intended. lol By the way, where are my manners? I see that you're new here. Welcome to the forums!

My guess is that she probably says that because the Pokemon Center is a service, and by saying that she hopes we keep using their service? (even though its free lol)
    Now, on the strange conversations topic, in Lavender town, there is a little girl outside the Pokemon Tower, if you interact with them, they will ask you if you belive in ghosts, if you say no, she will mention a white hand on your shoulder. And it even appears on later generations. And it even ended on a creepypasta, which i gotta say, the whitehand sprite is kinda creepy.

That line wasn't strange for me because it sounds like something you'd expect to hear in Lavender Town. To me, it's definitely creepy, but fits with the context. lol The Creepypastas didn't help matters either!

For me, perhaps the strangest conversations that seem to exist in practically every Pokémon game at some point involves a specific dialog of female swimmers. In some form or fashion, at least one female swimmer mentions where she keeps her PokéBalls despite wearing a bikini. A few of them even say, "It's a woman secret." This is very strange and disturbing to me, especially to say to a child randomly. Then again, when I think about it, sometimes, the dialog seems to imply that your character asked her this question. Either way, it's still a very strange interaction. lol

Years
    • Seen today
    For example, nurse joy finishes the conversation at center pokemon with: "We hope to see you again!".

The actual phrase is : また の ごりよう を おまちしてます (mata no goriyō wo omachi shitemasu)
    Which better translates to: "We look forward to seeing you should you ever need our services again."
    I should also mention that this phrase is written in a polite business-casual tone befitting a pokemon center's professional atmosphere.

For me, perhaps the strangest conversations that seem to exist in practically every Pokémon game at some point involves a specific dialog of female swimmers. In some form or fashion, at least one female swimmer mentions where she keeps her PokéBalls despite wearing a bikini. A few of them even say, "It's a woman secret." This is very strange and disturbing to me, especially to say to a child randomly. Then again, when I think about it, sometimes, the dialog seems to imply that your character asked her this question. Either way, it's still a very strange interaction. lol

It's just a gag. The implication is that the swimmer's bust is severely lacking, so she uses her two pokeballs to pad out her bikini.

Gamefreak loves working-in juvenile jokes for the elementary school boys that play the games ("butts and farts lolz"). Japan has less hangups about bodily humor in children's entertainment. Crayon Shin Chan is full of it.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • It is. What you're thinking of crosses into a vulgarity no-zone for what would have been acceptable.

The thing is, the female swimmer's busts are not lacking at all. If you look at their sprites, they seem to be pretty well developed. Here is another thing. I forgot the game, but there is also a male swimmer that says something very similar and obviously they don't wear bikini tops. Where could he be possibly putting his PokéBalls? It makes me think that not it's implying what you're saying at all. Pokémon is definitely no stranger to vulgar innuendos.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Speaking of innuendos, there's a Juggler that when you lose to him says "dropped my balls" in the original G/S/C games which I think got changed. I know it's not meant to be thought of that way, he's a Juggler, and I don't think of it in a way like that, but someone out there probably did. I think it was changed in HG/SS.

There's also this really strange conversation in OR/AS with these two girls where one says "I'm teaching this girl how hard it is to be a Pokemon trainer" and all the other girl says is "blush". Remember seeing that for the first time and just knew something spicy was going on in that abandoned ship.

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Speaking of innuendos, there's a Juggler that when you lose to him says "dropped my balls" in the original G/S/C games which I think got changed. I know it's not meant to be thought of that way, he's a Juggler, and I don't think of it in a way like that, but someone out there probably did. I think it was changed in HG/SS.

Yes, yet another example of the vulgar innuendos in Pokémon. lol

There's also this really strange conversation in OR/AS with these two girls where one says "I'm teaching this girl how hard it is to be a Pokemon trainer" and all the other girl says is "blush". Remember seeing that for the first time and just knew something spicy was going on in that abandoned ship.

I can't believe that I forgot that one! Not only that, but whatever it was those girls were doing in secret, they were doing it in a locked room and the main girl definitely felt strongly about you unlocking the door.

Years
  • The Pokemon universe is brutal, and if you're going to participate in Pokemon battles then you should be prepared as a trainer for your teammates to sustain injuries. In our world sports teams have doctors that accompany them for games, and stay nearby the fields, with the expectation that players are going to get hurt, and need their help. I don't think Nurse Joy is saying anything sinister, it's acknowledging that you're playing a high endurance sport, to say the least, and just letting players know that they are always welcome to come back to a Pokemon center to heal at any point in the game when you're wounded, she's happy to help.

Something to keep in mind as well is that the Pokemon center isn't only a medical facility, it has the PC to retrieve or store items, withdraw and deposit Pokemon, and view hall of fame records. The older games also had the cable club and union room in the Pokemon center for trainers to have battles and trades. The anime shows even more uses for the center, people making video calls to loved ones, or checking-in to the center like a hostel to spend the night as free alternative to a hotel. So even though healing Pokemon is arguably the most important function of the Pokemon Center, it's not the only reason someone might go there, and Joy seeing you again at the Pokemon Center might just as easily mean she sees you again and waves while you do one of those other things also, and your Pokemon aren't wounded. I see the pokemon center as kinda like a mini town within a town, especially now that the Pokemart and dressing rooms are merged with the center, and people can go there to shop for items they need for their journey like pokeballs, potions and tms, go try on and customize clothes and accesories, or just socialize with other visitors.

Now some dialogue that I think is creepy from gen 1 comes from this guy who was leering outside the window of Celadon City Gym. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned him yet.

Strange conversation

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
  • Now some dialogue that I think is creepy from gen 1 comes from this guy who was leering outside the window of Celadon City Gym. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned him yet.

Strange conversation

That's probably because he's based XD

I mean, if he's gonna do watch, at least he's upfront about it right?

Back