• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Strange conversation

Years
  • Strange conversation

Just... why are you telling a random kid challenging this gym, exactly? 🤔

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • The Pokemon universe is brutal, and if you're going to participate in Pokemon battles then you should be prepared as a trainer for your teammates to sustain injuries. In our world sports teams have doctors that accompany them for games, and stay nearby the fields, with the expectation that players are going to get hurt, and need their help. I don't think Nurse Joy is saying anything sinister, it's acknowledging that you're playing a high endurance sport, to say the least, and just letting players know that they are always welcome to come back to a Pokemon center to heal at any point in the game when you're wounded, she's happy to help.

Something to keep in mind as well is that the Pokemon center isn't only a medical facility, it has the PC to retrieve or store items, withdraw and deposit Pokemon, and view hall of fame records. The older games also had the cable club and union room in the Pokemon center for trainers to have battles and trades. The anime shows even more uses for the center, people making video calls to loved ones, or checking-in to the center like a hostel to spend the night as free alternative to a hotel. So even though healing Pokemon is arguably the most important function of the Pokemon Center, it's not the only reason someone might go there, and Joy seeing you again at the Pokemon Center might just as easily mean she sees you again and waves while you do one of those other things also, and your Pokemon aren't wounded. I see the pokemon center as kinda like a mini town within a town, especially now that the Pokemart and dressing rooms are merged with the center, and people can go there to shop for items they need for their journey like pokeballs, potions and tms, go try on and customize clothes and accesories, or just socialize with other visitors.

Now some dialogue that I think is creepy from gen 1 comes from this guy who was leering outside the window of Celadon City Gym. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned him yet.

Strange conversation

I hate that man, he's a creep.

Also, another weird one from the battle frontier: I SWALLOW SLUDGE to transform myself.

...good luck with that, dude.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, in the Mossdeep Space Center, a girl looking at the rocket says, "This rocket! Thick!" Of all things to say about a rocket, why that specifically? What in the world could she be implying? lol

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • A lot of players talk about how Nurse Joy saying, "We hope to see you again" is creepy. Lol I never saw like that though. Instead, I think of it as her knowing that you're a Pokémon trainer engaged in constant battles, meaning that your Pokémon would definitely be hurt and/or tired. She "hopes to see you again" so that she can heal them up for you because it's better than leaving them hurt. It's not that much different to your doctor telling you that she hopes to see you again for your next checkup.

To be honest, I never gave this line much attention until the first time I read it being interpreted as ill will nor have I ever considered this interpretation and find it brilliant.
    It's sensible and fits with the Nurse Joy characters in the anime that she would mean "We hope to see you again" as hoping that as a trainer we will continue to use Pokemon Centers because it's the responsible thing to do vs. pushing and/or neglecting your Pokemon.

Back