• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I'm quite good at 1v1 too, but I think I won't play much as myself until I got the full version of Smash Bros, because I need to train in Training mode to getting used to the characters.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Auto grab to the ledge you mean? Yes. It's referred to as "ledge-snapping" and it debuted in Brawl. A lot of people don't like it but I don't mind it. Especially in this new iteration with the mechanic put in place to completely nullify the ability to edge-hog. Super happy about that.

But honestly, I think Mario and Villager are by far the greatest characters in the demo version with Villager easily having the potential to be top tier in the full game.
    Yeah ledge-snapping. I played brawl, but not enough to know all the technical terms and what not. Melee was great fun with just trying to get there, but whatever. It feels weird, and I guess I'll get used to it. And nah, Link and Villager are the best of the demo. Like I said, link has his autoblock with the sheild, and that hookshot to grab is great fun. Villager, as I mentioned, has that amazing rocket shot, but I'm not too happy with the recovery smash, I like it when it does some damage. Man, Megaman blows chunks. Weak attack(I dunno what even triggers the charge shot, unless the demo is messing with my button presses), and his specials are awful. Only worthwhile thing on him is the final smash.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I can play on both 1v1 matches and FFA matches, but I'm not as good in 1v1 matches, since I place the CPU at lvl 9, which I assume is how competitive gamers play at.

Those CPUs are broken. They can shield with perfect timing almost always which makes it unfair because humans tend to slip up with timing meanwhile the AI can just do it thanks to programming lol. Plus they're able to smash attack without a problem meanwhile we still struggle to land a smash with the circle pad because we end up tilting or moving instead.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I wasn't too excited for this game, I was kinda doubting how it well it could go on the 3DS. I was concerned that the screen would be too small (regular 3DS), that the controls would be awkward and that it just wouldn't stand up to the Wii U version. However, after playing the demo I've changed my mind. I'm excited about this game now, the demo is a blast. While the screen is small, it's still totally playable and the controls are not horrible. Anyway, the N3DS comes out here just a month and a bit after release (same day as OR/AS), so I'll probably pick the game up with the new console then. Can't wait to see how Lucina and Robin play!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I've been doing 1 vs 3 COM at lv9. These COMs don't see as tough as they were in previous games. I'm really not good at this game, don't have the controls and moves down 100% yet, but I have no problem holding my own in these battles and winning most of the time O_o

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I've been doing 1 vs 3 COM at lv9. These COMs don't see as tough as they were in previous games. I'm really not good at this game, don't have the controls and moves down 100% yet, but I have no problem holding my own in these battles and winning most of the time O_o

Really? I struggle with the Level 8-9 CPUs. Maybe that's down to not having played much SSB before. I find myself enjoying 1v1 more than FFAs. The later just seems a bit too hectic and busy for my small screen. Also enjoy playing with stage hazards and items turned off.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Note for other Australians - get Smash Bros for the 3DS from Target (or price match with their catalogue). $44 is a heck of a deal for Australia (standard price is $60 in other stores)! (Target's also selling stuff like Kirby, AC, LM2 and Mario games for that same price).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Really? I struggle with the Level 8-9 CPUs. Maybe that's down to not having played much SSB before. I find myself enjoying 1v1 more than FFAs. The later just seems a bit too hectic and busy for my small screen. Also enjoy playing with stage hazards and items turned off.
    I was playing the demo mostly with a level 8 comp, but now I switched to a level 9 one. Back when I played Brawl a lot (I hardly ever touch it now), I used to be able to whip a level 9 pretty easy, but my skills have deteriorated and now level 9s are a handful. Gotta keep practicing.

I like yer sig, btw.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I was playing the demo mostly with a level 8 comp, but now I switched to a level 9 one. Back when I played Brawl a lot (I hardly ever touch it now), I used to be able to whip a level 9 pretty easy, but my skills have deteriorated and now level 9s are a handful. Gotta keep practicing.

I like yer sig, btw.

Maybe part of the skill deterioration is the controls? I'm sure they will be hard to get used to for people who have extensively played other games in the franchise, they feel quite different to what limited experience I've had with a gamecube control.

Your sig is quite fine If I say so myself.

Character wise, who is everyone liking or not liking in the demo so far? If found Link to be very strong, but Pikachu has been the most enjoyable to use for me. Haven't messed around with Villager or Mario much, but they seem okay for the most part. When I've used Mega Man, I've really struggled. I think he has potential, but a higher learning curve and a better understanding to use him effectively.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Maybe part of the skill deterioration is the controls? I'm sure they will be hard to get used to for people who have extensively played other games in the franchise, they feel quite different to what limited experience I've had with a gamecube control.

Your sig is quite fine If I say so myself.
    Nah, I think its more because I haven't been playing Smash much at all for a couple of years now, so I'm rusty as hell. Transitioning to the 3DS controls was a lot easier and feels a lot better than I thought it would be. Except for grabs; I do them with the L button and haven't quite gotten used to it on the 3DS for some reason. And it would be nice if I could turn off tilting up as a jump, but gotta wait for the full game for that.

and I would change my sig right after you say that

Character wise, who is everyone liking or not liking in the demo so far? If found Link to be very strong, but Pikachu has been the most enjoyable to use for me. Haven't messed around with Villager or Mario much, but they seem okay for the most part. When I've used Mega Man, I've really struggled. I think he has potential, but a higher learning curve and a better understanding to use him effectively.
    Out of the 5 playable peeps in the demo, I've mostly been using Mario. He's just felt the best to me. I wouldn't say that any of them are bad, though I still don't get Villager and probably never will (and then you have people like Klippy who're like "Villager is the most amazing thing ever!").

I just really want the full game to come out so I can play as Robin and Lucina.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I just really want the full game to come out so I can play as Robin and Lucina.

+1. Robin and Lucina will probably end up being my mains, unless they end up being horrible (which I doubt). I've heard some people complaining about Lucina's inclusion, as she's basically a clone of Marth, but I think it's great to have her in. I think some people think she may have 'taken' or 'replaced' a spot from another character, like Ice Climbers, but if Nintendo wanted them in they would have somehow fit them in (possible DLC?). I wish Nowi or Tiki were playable, though it would be a bit silly, their final smash could be incredible.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    +1. Robin and Lucina will probably end up being my mains, unless they end up being horrible (which I doubt). I've heard some people complaining about Lucina's inclusion, as she's basically a clone of Marth, but I think it's great to have her in. I think some people think she may have 'taken' or 'replaced' a spot from another character, like Ice Climbers, but if Nintendo wanted them in they would have somehow fit them in (possible DLC?). I wish Nowi or Tiki were playable, though it would be a bit silly, their final smash could be incredible.
    Eh, people have always complained about clone characters, particularly ones that are basically just an alternate skin of an already existing character with minor tweaks, which is what Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr.Mario basically are, which is why they're getting flak.

But I say screw 'em. Lucina>Ice Climbers.

Also, I think that I saw in a video that Lucina has an alternate costume where she looks like Tiki, but I'd have to check that.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Smash fanbase's distaste towards clone will always baffle me.
    Also, I think that I saw in a video that Lucina has an alternate costume where she looks like Tiki, but I'd have to check that.

Looks more like Terra Branford to me though lol

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Smash fanbase's distaste towards clone will always baffle me.
    I'm not sure if fandoms are ever meant to be understood.

Looks more like Terra Branford to me though lol
    Well that's better than me trying to find some video I half remember.

But yeah, it seems that Tiki and Terra look kinda similar. Pretty sure that they were going for Tiki if anything though.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm not sure if fandoms are ever meant to be understood.
    It's really more that in every other fighting game, clones are generally accepted and appreciated additions. Tekken Tag Tournament 2's most requested character were clones, and all of them got in as a result. They're easy additions that add depth to the metagame.

But in Smash Bros, they taint the roster. It's funny when you think about it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    It's really more that in every other fighting game, clones are generally accepted and appreciated additions. Tekken Tag Tournament 2's most requested character were clones, and all of them got in as a result. They're easy additions that add depth to the metagame.

But in Smash Bros, they taint the roster. It's funny when you think about it.

Have you seen the backlash of Decapre from Ultra Street Fighter IV? There are anti-clones in every fighting game community, but they're less vocal about it than the Smash Bros. community. And speaking of clone requests, they wanted Roy back, who was the first Marth clone, so I wonder if the fans who hated Lucina's inclusion were Roy fans (try not to say that his game wasn't well-recieved, because Chronobound from Smashboards debunked that myth when its overall scores in Japan).

Rellek

Believe
    Years
    Yeah ledge-snapping. I played brawl, but not enough to know all the technical terms and what not. Melee was great fun with just trying to get there, but whatever. It feels weird, and I guess I'll get used to it. And nah, Link and Villager are the best of the demo. Like I said, link has his autoblock with the sheild, and that hookshot to grab is great fun. Villager, as I mentioned, has that amazing rocket shot, but I'm not too happy with the recovery smash, I like it when it does some damage. Man, Megaman blows chunks. Weak attack(I dunno what even triggers the charge shot, unless the demo is messing with my button presses), and his specials are awful. Only worthwhile thing on him is the final smash.

I wholeheartedly disagree sir. Link is (not by far) the worst character in the demo. The autoblock with the shield? Yeah that was in Brawl as well and guess where Link was on the tier list? The literal bottom. They didn't change much about him aside from his now laggy, but kill-potent dash attack as well as faster rolls. His recovery isn't much better at all and the grab on whiff is still the worst in the game. Link should have his own tier because it's always "linked" to the bottom of the tier listing....

Villager however, has so much depth and potential that there is no doubt that he will be top tier. Not a doubt in my mind.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Eh like I said, I didn't play brawl much, so I wouldn't know. I somehow manage to come out first even against level 8 CPU's when it comes to link, but never with anyone else but the villager, so either I lucked out or I know what I'm doing.

Back