• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Count To Infinity - v12

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    242 243

I just don't want to do a job while still contributing something meaningful to society, tbh.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • 242 244 (another thread I haven't been to in a while)

I know this is pretty non sequitur to the conversations above so forgive me for it, but anyone else miss the old 'Corrupt the username above' thread?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    242 246
    I know this is pretty non sequitur to the conversations above so forgive me for it, but anyone else miss the old 'Corrupt the username above' thread?
    I have mixed feelings about that thread, tbh. It kind of got stale after a while. Especially when you run out of ideas because you're always getting the same user.
    But there have also been the occasional people who didn't like posting in it in the past. Mostly because they didn't feel comfortable with that sort of thing.

At one point I came up with the idea that maybe a "Corrupt the thing above" thread might be better. But in the end I just decided to see what others would come up with as alternatives. Apparently, that didn't work out that well. ^^"

On another note: I was also wondering if I should bring back "Don't let the Mods say Zero" because there were requests for it in the past. I'd probably put the Count to Infinity thread on hold for that (keeping the "counting" threads to a reasonable amount).
    The problem with that one is the ration between mods and regular users is just heavily in favor for the mods. So, I don't know if that would even be fun. ^^"

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • 242 247

I'm not sure what you're talking about, Mr. Anthony_Among_Dolphins.

Oh, sure you do, Ms. corn_fed_prinplup. :)

I have mixed feelings about that thread, tbh. It kind of got stale after a while. Especially when you run out of ideas because you're always getting the same user.
    But there have also been the occasional people who didn't like posting in it in the past. Mostly because they didn't feel comfortable with that sort of thing.

At one point I came up with the idea that maybe a "Corrupt the thing above" thread might be better. But in the end I just decided to see what others would come up with as alternatives. Apparently, that didn't work out that well. ^^"

I'll agree that when there's only a few posters the thread sorta fizzles out, but there's thankfully always the chance more people come in to join the name corrupting festivities! As for the users not interested in it, I'd really need to know the scope of the issue to actually lose interest, because otherwise it just becomes a case of 'just don't post in there then' to me. (no possible offence intended? again, I get someone not wanting it for themself, I just don't understand why others can't have fun with it)

We could always try a "Corrupt the thing above" thread, it just seems like that 'Shiritori' thread already kinda does that? Don't know for sure since I don't really understand that game though, so I may be completely off lol.

Years
  • 242 248

Shiritori is just a word game. You post a sentence that has a word in it that starts with the same letter as whatever the highlighted word ended with that was in the previous post.

On another note: I was also wondering if I should bring back "Don't let the Mods say Zero" because there were requests for it in the past. I'd probably put the Count to Infinity thread on hold for that (keeping the "counting" threads to a reasonable amount).
    The problem with that one is the ration between mods and regular users is just heavily in favor for the mods. So, I don't know if that would even be fun. ^^"

Never seen that game. Last post was before I joined.
    I don't see that count getting very high with how many mods frequent FG tbh =P

Years
  • That's cool! Can you do that? Or did you do med school? Are you in the US?

I'm in the US; to my understanding it's possible to do both. You first get a Bachelors degree (like Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, etc), then take the MCAT and apply to med school. I'm only an HS Junior though so I've got quite a while until I'm able to get my medical license. If everything goes according to plan and I stick with becoming a Psychiatrist; I should finish up my education/training around 2037.

Years
  • 242 251

I'm in Italy and it's totally different here. To be a psychiatrist you need to go to med school 5 years and then get the master's in psychiatry. Should be 2 more years. Ironically, to be an actual therapist here the process is even longer. 3 years bachelors degree in psychology, then master's generally in clinical psychology and then 4 years of specialization in a special school, while theoretically you are already working. If I am not wrong, to be an actual therapist as a psychiatrist, you still need those additional 4 years. It's complicated and I think very different, which scares me because I'm thinking to move to the US one day.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    242 253

Our medical system is kinda broken. Right now, you basically need to hurt yourself in an almost terminal way if you want to get a psychiatrist; alternative, having a ton of money supposedly also works. <_<

Years
  • 242 254

Hopefully you'll actually find work in that field.
    Gotta love all those educations that give you a diploma and then there's no work... dunno if psychiatry is one of them.

Years
  • Hopefully you'll actually find work in that field.
    Gotta love all those educations that give you a diploma and then there's no work... dunno if psychiatry is one of them.

It doesn't seem to be, it's a medical specialty so the barrier to entry is higher then most fields and there's something of a mental health crisis going on here at the moment. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 7% growth rate from 2022-2032, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to get a job https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2023/article/careers-in-mental-health-services.htm

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    242 256

Hopefully you'll actually find work in that field.
    Psychiatry is probably not one of them, because you can always open your own clinic!
    I remember reading something about diplomas in science, and as far as I recall, biology was the worst degree to get in terms of employment ^^"

Years
  • 242 258

Psychiatry is probably not one of them, because you can always open your own clinic!
    I remember reading something about diplomas in science, and as far as I recall, biology was the worst degree to get in terms of employment ^^"

Opening my clinic would be amazing! Also, some therapists charge so much in the US!
    Unfortunately, in my personal condition, it's not too easy to find a job and especially clients. I don't really let myself down. I have a long path in front of me and if things don't work, l'll be ready to change.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    242 259

It would definitely be good to see more people go into the mental health fields. Seems like things have gotten better over the years. But there sure is still a long way to go.

Back