• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
  • We just cannot create chances, some of the problems in our team have been obvious since the start of last season and we haven't fixed them. I suppose out of context we got a decent point today, but West Ham have been really poor lately and were again today.

(4-0 at Boro

:)

Disappointing Bayern draw. But at least Kimmich scored. I'm loving the kid right now.

Burnley's coming up against us. I'd expect a 2-0 win, because we're running just fine. 13 goals in the last 4 games, only 1 goal suffered, i can tell Burnley's not gonna be a difficulty.

Also Wenger's completed 20 years in Arsenal. Hate the guy, love the guy, i have mixed feelings about him.

I wouldn't write Burnley off so quickly, they have scalped Liverpool already this season. I think it's difficult to hate Wenger, he seems like a nice guy but with some principles on football that obstruct him from success in the modern game. I'm sure the sport will miss him as much as Fergie eventually.

Norwich off to a good start against Wolves...

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • 2-1 Norwich right now. Could be a late comeback on the cards here.

Or not...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nah, didn't have any nerves there at all. Brady's goal was great and Tettey's playground hack was glorious.

Interesting program cover from Wolves.
    Spoiler:

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • The program covers this season are being created by an artist called Alexander Wells. My favourite so far is the one he made for Wolves vs Ipswich:

Spoiler:

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
  • So, yeah, it was tough but we managed to get past Burnley.

I'm planning to get an Arsenal jersey for Christmas, and i don't know what name i should pick, either Sanchez or Xhaka. I really like both players and they're really the best two i could eye out. I didn't pick Ozil because he's 11 and he wants to switch shirts from 11 to 10. And i thought "Why not Sanchez since he got shirt 7, or why Xhaka, because 29 is not that bad a number, and the player is pretty versatile himself".

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I'd reccomend staying well away from the modern Puma monstrositied Arsenal are pumping out atm! They smell truly shocking after a kickabout hahaha.

Also, I'm a bit late to the party but I think Gareth Southgate gets a bit of a tough time as a manager. I mean sure he got Boro relegated, but he had them in the lofty heights of second when he was sacked (I'm not sure why he was, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do research after 1am hahaha that's what you guys are for). He's also been a major upgrade for the England u21's after the dross that Stuart Pearce was dishing up for what felt like three decades ahahaha. I'm pretty sure Southgate won the Toulon Tournament over the summer which is like the equivalent to the World Cup for u20 teams. I like the guy, even if he does come across as a bit of a posh, k**b.

Years
  • To be fair nobody is going to be able to fix England so it might as well be somebody they've been 'grooming' for the position. When do the Murphy twins get their call ups? That'll make me watch England games outside of summer tournaments.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2016
    I thought this was a American Football thread....then I was overcome with disappointment when I found out it was a soccer thread :(

Years
  • Once again we find ourselves waking up after the awful hibernation period that is the international break. I watched 23 minutes of England against Slovenia and it made me realise I haven't missed anything by avoiding England friendlies/qualifiers for the past six years.

Also on the whole Arsenal shirt discussion, I think a lot of older people have 'hero shirts' (player names printed on them). In most American sports it's quite hard to find a jersey without a name on it. I think if I was going to get a current Arsenal shirt (god forbid), I'd go for a long sleeve version of the away jersey. If not current then I'd go for 2001 away which has both the classic badge (they should go back to it) and a lovely Sega sponsor. 2001 looks surprisingly retro.

I'd reccomend staying well away from the modern Puma monstrositied Arsenal are pumping out atm! They smell truly shocking after a kickabout hahaha.

Also, I'm a bit late to the party but I think Gareth Southgate gets a bit of a tough time as a manager. I mean sure he got Boro relegated, but he had them in the lofty heights of second when he was sacked (I'm not sure why he was, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do research after 1am hahaha that's what you guys are for). He's also been a major upgrade for the England u21's after the dross that Stuart Pearce was dishing up for what felt like three decades ahahaha. I'm pretty sure Southgate won the Toulon Tournament over the summer which is like the equivalent to the World Cup for u20 teams. I like the guy, even if he does come across as a bit of a posh, k**b.

Southgate's sacking at Boro was a bit strange. We were 4th in the league and he had just won against Derby when he was axed and I would say we have a reputation for not sacking managers too often. He should have gone long before that though after relegating a team that could easily have become a consistent top half finisher in the Premier League at the time he took over.

Hopefully he has learned a lot since then (he didn't even have the appropriate coaching badges when he first took over at Boro), but frankly England are screwed anyway so I don't really think he'll be any less or more successful than every other failure since Eriksson.

I thought this was a American Football thread....then I was overcome with disappointment when I found out it was a soccer thread :(

One day both threads will exist and live in contentment and harmony.

Years
  • England were shocking. Pretty much sums up why the pundits spent 2 games hyping up Jesse Lindgard, despite the fact he had bang average games too. Would honestly not swap Lindgard for either Muphy twin.

With Brady getting a concussion in the first international game this break we might finally get to see the twins start their first pro game together. Josh scoring a hattrick in his last cup game should put him ahead of Naismith. Pritchard might get in as well to give Hoolahan a rest before Fulham away. That trio could well be a glimpse into our not too distant future.

I like a bit of handegg tbh (although baseball is much better), thanks to my shifts getting earlier I've not been able to stay up and watch much this year. Real shame.

Years
  • It seems like the Murphy twins have been promising for a while now without actually doing anything. I see Jacob has been tearing it up so far this season though.

Our team news should be quite boring. Negredo will come back in even though Rhodes looked dangerous vs West Ham because Karanka loves Spanish players.

Years
  • Yeah, has already been 3 years since the youth cup win. In terms of professional football I'd say they really broke through last season. Josh won MK Dons' player of the season award and Jacob scored 10 and assisted 10 for Coventry, playing 40 games. Unsurprisingly they've come back from playing full seasons in the football league so much better physically, they can absolutely blast past their defenders now, really exciting to watch. It's probably safe to assume that they're going to have better careers than Rossi and Ryan, the last pair of hyped up brothers to come through at Norwich.

To be fair, Negredo is quite a good footballer. Perhaps Boro could send Rhodes down here in January, Neil loves Scottish players.

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
  • Soo, what're you guys thinking of our winning streak? Not long 'til we pass City.

Still on the BPL subject, Hull City got destroyed. Not that i care, but impressive on Bournemouth's part.

Bayern drew 2x2 with Eintracht today. Not really frustrated, we're gonna have to save our energy to face PSV on Wednesday.

Years
  • Ah not so Super Sunday. Middlesbrough-Watford and Soton-Burnley, how will the neutrals cope?

Yeah, has already been 3 years since the youth cup win. In terms of professional football I'd say they really broke through last season. Josh won MK Dons' player of the season award and Jacob scored 10 and assisted 10 for Coventry, playing 40 games. Unsurprisingly they've come back from playing full seasons in the football league so much better physically, they can absolutely blast past their defenders now, really exciting to watch. It's probably safe to assume that they're going to have better careers than Rossi and Ryan, the last pair of hyped up brothers to come through at Norwich.

To be fair, Negredo is quite a good footballer. Perhaps Boro could send Rhodes down here in January, Neil loves Scottish players.

Well at this stage you would assume Jacob will at least become a Tom Ince level sort of player. Hopefully the hype for them goes through the roof and you can make some decent £££ because they're English.

Negredo is good, but we starve him of service. We play it to him to hold it up as well whereas with Rhodes we attempt to play him through on goal. Rhodes is inevitably a better choice in that respect because our other attacking players are garbage so there's no point having Negredo to hold it up for them. Hopefully Neil stays away from fake Scottish players because I want to keep him.

That Norwich goal was very, very nice. The sort of feints that usually only work on fifa.

Soo, what're you guys thinking of our winning streak? Not long 'til we pass City.

Looks like LV covered my thoughts on that one already unfortunately.

Back