• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Nursery: Baby Pkmn Club

Years
  • SwSh are the first games where I started breeding seriously.
    I could not be bothered before that point, but there were so many QoL improvement and changes to how breeding works that I started doing it.
    For example: if two Pokemon of the same species are in the daycare and 1 knows one or multiple egg moves and the other has open move slots, sticking them into the nursery for a while will see the egg moves passed on to the Pokemon of the same species that had open move slots. The biggest shocker for me was learning in BDSP that this even applied to same gender Pokemon, which I used to get 4 egg moves onto Volbeat which would've been impossible otherwise. This also works in SwSh, but I didn't know it until BDSP.

Anyway Nursery is just a Daycare overhaul to me, but I'll go with the Nursery anyway.
    For Picnics I haven't had enough interaction with breeding yet tbh, can't really judge it accurately yet, but I can see some pros to the new method due to how eggs bunch up, meaning you can go idle for a long time and then return and accept like 12 eggs in a row. I'm not a fan of just having to sit around tweedling my thumbs awaiting the eggs though.

Years
  • I am not really sure between nursery and day care, but I am probably going with day care. So, the main problem with day care is that it can become expensive and that while your Pokemon level up, they also learn random moves. Back in gen 4 and some others, it could have been time consuming to make the levelled Pokémon forget the move and then teach them the desired one.
    On the other hand, it's pretty useful that while you're breeding a Pokemon, the other ones are gaining exp. It's better to have this option rather than only the nursery, which wouldn't allow the player to leave Pokemon to level up.
    I wouldn't be against having both nursery and day care in one game. I think this couldn't have been done in early gen games, but now that maps are bigger, it could be done.
    I have done IV breeding in Pokémon SW and it was a great experience.
    I tried breeding with picnic, but honestly I don't like it. I think without powers it just takes too much time.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I never really have taken Pokémon breeding too seriously, I've always seen it as something fun to do. Thus, I can't quite say I have an overly strong opinion on this topic of discussion. I kind of like the nursery and daycare the same! I will say I certainly miss having the nursery/daycare feature in Pokémon Scarlet/Violet. I was so confused on how to breed initially! I hope the daycare/nursery system makes a return in future games!

Last edited:

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • Hi Pokemon fans! There's a youtube channel called Pokemon Cries. They have uploaded recordings of cries for pokemon generations 1-8 so far. I decided to share all the baby pokemon sound files, and ask which one makes the most impression on you?

My favorite is Riolu. I am dog fan, and think the developers did a really job communicating the sound of a puppy barking.

i think Igglybuff has a nice one too. It sounds sweet and childlike like this evolutionary line's temperament, also is very musical, the way this diva should sound.

Elekid is kinda cool too, you hear plenty of static, and it makes sense because this an electric type.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Why does Wynaut's sound so ominous and way too heavy for such a small thing....

Budew has my favorite cry from these, but Happiny also sounds adorable.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • Which baby pokemon do you think would be the best pokemon to have as a pet in real life?

A cautionary tale- Choose wisely, sometimes our favorite mons wouldn't necessarily be the easiest to live with. As much as Muchlax is my favorite baby pokemon, he wouldn't be my first choice to bring home, because he would eat everything, haha!

I think I will go with riolu, because dogs are wonderful companions. To me a house is no fun without them, and this would be a super puppy with higher intelligence than most humans, one who also is a cool telepathic mood ring.

Years
  • Which baby pokemon do you think would be the best pokemon to have as a pet in real life?

Wynout because why not? Lol sorry, nevermind.

Yeah, it seems like a cool Pokemon to have around. My other choices would be Manytke and Chingling, but they wouldn't make great companions in real life because Manytke would need water and Chingling would be pretty noisy!

Years
  • Gonna rule out Smoochum immediately as the thing kisses everything rofl
    Was gonna go with Happiny, but upon closer inspection of it's Dex entries... it can throw a tantrum and is like a pet walking in front of your feet making you stumble and trip if you don't keep an eye out. Never happened to me, as I tend to look down a lot, but still.

I'll go with Cleffa. Don't really see anything alarming in it's entries. It can observe the stars through the window and maybe we could even stargaze together.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I thought I would post a challenge to the baby pokemon lovers out there, a foot print exhibition. A feature I always really liked about the Sinnoh game was visiting Dr. Footstep. It's a subtle thing that a lot of players may not even remember, but it added some texture the world, being able to tell details about a pokemon's identity, and how they relate to you just judging by their footprint, the way handwriting experts can find out information about people. I thought it was both an endearing and original concept, and I definitely spent some time going to this gentleman, and receiving footprint ribbons for my beloved companions in Pearl and Platinum. It has inspired me to put together all of the known foot prints of baby pokemon. There are 17 total. One baby pokemon, mantyke, doesn't leave foot prints, and another one, might leave them, but because this little critter came along a little later into the pokemon universe, we don't know what it's foot print looks like yet.

I was wondering if there was any foot print here that you are drawn to design-wise? Bonus if you can recognize the baby pokemon that the foot print belongs to. I will reveal who is who later on.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is a very fun game! I had fun playing that on pmd back to the day.

Most of them are pretty similar. I'm gonna bo with my memory and say that A is Riolu, L is Munchlax and D Azurill. B and F I think are probably just the same. I'd say Budew is one of them. I also agree with Rekoil

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • Good detective work folks! I am going to make this image a drop more colorful by adding the sprite of the baby pokemon beside their footprint, whenever someone guesses the identity of a pokemon who left their foot print at the scene.

I looks the most interesting to me... who has spikes like that... Magby? :unsure:

Good eye! That is Magby, claws on all! To me that's a first class footprint because it's hard to forget!

This is a very fun game! I had fun playing that on pmd back to the day.

Most of them are pretty similar. I'm gonna bo with my memory and say that A is Riolu, L is Munchlax and D Azurill. B and F I think are probably just the same. I'd say Budew is one of them. I also agree with Rekoil

That sure is Riolu, love that one, because it looks like a real dog foot print- or so my hounds tell me. L is Munchlax, it's my favorite foot because it looks the most cartoonish! I have a munchlax plushie so that foot is very familiar to me. D is actually not Azurill, believe it or not, but you get a 3 out of 4 because B is for Budew! I agree some of them look the same, maybe resized or from different angles, but supposedly they are slightly different. ;)

Back