• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

{Tile/Palette Rating Thread}

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    Here are some of my latest house tiles, Like?
    I was going for a bit of a mix between Alucus style and WesleyFG style.

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
    Years
    Hey guys, ima keep this really short cause, this is my third time rewriting(though you wouldnt know) this cuz my login timed out.

So this is my absolute first attempt at spriting. Im not really looking for rating, but advice, tips and links so i can learnand develop my own spriting techniques.

What i think is wrong/can be improved

The dark lines make it look hard edged rather than soft, like . Tactics.'s tiles in the post above mine.
    The palette is bright but that might be the bg color
    shading and lighting is proportional to the object i was applying it to but doesnt show where the angle of the sun is coming in.
    the perspective is somewhere near 30-40 degrees rather than 45.
    could definatly be more detailed
    something else. but i forgot.

so yea, any advice, tips and links would really help. I'll apply them to an updated version of these tiles (and some more, only buildings thought cause i cant do cliffs or trees yet)
    along with my own creativity.

P.s: Im looking into using APE, especially the Gradient tool but i dont know how to find the right colors using, a.. 4 digit hexadecimal code rather than 6(like in css\style sheets for html doc: #RRGGBB) so if anyone could explain how to find the right colors that i want, i would really appreciate it.

I think im using the word spriting wrong, lol. if so just replace it with the right word in your head >.> cause im to tired to think of it right now

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    @Xnenai:
    You're right about the dark lines you used for the bordering. You should use softer colors or maybe use darker shading.The roof pallete is dark, but I think it's okay. You should make the gray-parts a little whitish. And the shading behind the pokeballs are awkward. It seems like the sun is coming from two different directions. I also don't think you should use three pokeballs on the roof (the blue one). It's really good if this is your first time spriting. There is room for improvements.

@full metal:
    The grass pallete is too light. It doesn't blend in with the trees. And on the second image, there's actually red above the pokemart door. You should use darker colors for the roof of the lab and the paths too. Overall, nice.

@.Tactic.:
    First of all, I don't like the big irregular window on the big house. I think you should make it rectangular shaped. I also think that the roof above the side of the house should be covered. The rest, I likez..

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
    Credits:
    Tb Pro Tree tile
    Syn Zeikku Tree tile
    Wesley Fg Headbutt and berry tile
    if i forgot anyone please tell me :]

Screenshot

Overall, pretty nice. 2 things I really dislike, however: The brighter grass should be a little brighter, as right now it blends with the basic grass too much, and I don't like the green roofs on the houses. I like the tiles, however.

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
    Years
    My second attempt at my first tiles.

I think they are a bit bright.
    The windows at the top are sun roofs, and the insides of the pokemart and centers will have lighter tiles showing where the sun comes in from the top. - thats why i put them there.
    Last, the darkest blue to the right of the pokemart is very dark compared to the rest of the tiles, so ill make that a little brighter.
    if Anyone has any more advice on how to make them better (or would like to add on what is wrong/not good) that would be great, thx.

also when i start making enough tiles, ill post pictures of them on the map

Last edited:
    Years
    Credits:
    Tb Pro Tree tile
    Syn Zeikku Tree tile
    Wesley Fg Headbutt and berry tile
    if i forgot anyone please tell me :]

Screenshot
    The tree palettes are nice. I think you need to change the grass tile also with a lighter palette. Change the roof palette to a nice orange. And the water a lighter blue. Also, you need to use the same backround palette of the grass, to match the backround of the berry tree. Because you can see a lighter green behind it. I'll rate it 6/10. Please show us the updated one, once you've done. ;)

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
    The tree palettes are nice. I think you need to change the grass tile also with a lighter palette. Change the roof palette to a nice orange. And the water a lighter blue. Also, you need to use the same backround palette of the grass, to match the backround of the berry tree. Because you can see a lighter green behind it. I'll rate it 6/10. Please show us the updated one, once you've done. ;)
    haha
    that's not gonna be updated besides new bark has Green roofs anyway i don't want orange :/

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Omega Zero

I see one thing with your tiles that could be corrected, the corner tiles (like the bits by the houses doors) don't have the texture of the rest of the path tile.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
    lol, sorry chimchar, but some people will argue with a brick wall if it's there.
    also, may i get a second opinion on my tiles posted above?
    any more palette editing of that grass and my heads gonna 'splode XD
    i see what you mean (i think) by it being too bright, but i've already "dimmed" it down considerably, I do want to keep some of the original color...

MASTEROFPUPPETS93

Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
    Years

Here are some of my selfmade tiles, i hope you like them.
    The mountains should be for forests, you see they're very mossy.

~MOP

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years

Here are some of my selfmade tiles, i hope you like them.
    The mountains should be for forests, you see they're very mossy.

~MOP
    They are really really mossy. Too much perhaps.

The tree seems quite good, but I find something wrong in its pattern. I hope you know what I mean and even better, I'd like to see those mountain tiles in brown.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    My second attempt at my first tiles.

I think they are a bit bright.
    The windows at the top are sun roofs, and the insides of the pokemart and centers will have lighter tiles showing where the sun comes in from the top. - thats why i put them there.
    Last, the darkest blue to the right of the pokemart is very dark compared to the rest of the tiles, so ill make that a little brighter.
    if Anyone has any more advice on how to make them better (or would like to add on what is wrong/not good) that would be great, thx.

also when i start making enough tiles, ill post pictures of them on the map

They look great. Better than last time. The only thing that bothers me is the bright white. You should fix that, then it would be pretty usable =].
    Heres some new tiles from my hack

Houses: Me
    Mountains: Newtiteuf
    sand: Wesley FG
    Trees: WAH/Kyledove
    Other: Zein
    Nice. I like the tiles. You should darken the roofs for the houses slightly though. The other thing is that the yellowish path makes it look like there's sand in the middle of the town. The palletes are nice and vibrant ;).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back