• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that Brazil and France once almost went to war over lobsters.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Elaborate please? Sounds Emu war-level bizarre

In the early 60s some French boats were found illegally fishing lobsters in Brazilian waters. (As a reminder, France has what used to be a colony in the Americas. Think Denmark / Greenland, but more tropical).

The Brazilian government didn't like this, the French government mobilized the navy in standby, the then Brazilian president started organizing movements to what would become a full blown war and annexation of this part of France, but he ended up resigning, shortly after.

His successor basically moved a fair chunk of the Brazilian navy and the Brazilian army to make a show of force and eventually the diplomats managed to deescalate the whole situation, but yeah, they very well could have ended up going to war over lobsters.

Years
    Til the reason that our hands get wrinkly in water was an adaptation for human survival, to help us grip onto things more easily underwater in wet conditions.

Speaking of how we adapt, I also learned today that the Sherpa people of Tibet, who are renowned mountain guides, have a unique gene that helps their body to function with less oxygen. It developed because of the high altitudes, enabling them to live and work in environments that most people would have difficulty breathing in.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Dan Schneider forced Jenette Mcurrdy to try alcohol at 18. I hate this disgusting man even more than ever before considering what he's done to these children stars.

Also, I want to read her book but it's sold out everywhere. So, today I learned I'm Glad My Mom Died is selling very well and is sold out everywhere.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Learned about "pay to stay" laws. Allows prisons to charge inmates for every day spent in jail. Varies by jail on how much per day. Could be up to $60 per day in Michigan. Totals $21,900 for one year. Read about somewhere else charging $249 per day. Exists in 48 states in the United States.

How is this legal? Amounts to a fine on top of whatever punishment decided on by a court. Usually sets limits on fines in punishments. Circumvents that.

Also targets people who generally cannot pay. May have been the original reason for committing a crime. Exits prison in a worse situation as-is. Pushes them to commit another crime. Who wins from that? (Besides for-profit prisons.)

Rarely collects that money anyways. Shook down inmates for $1.3 million in one county jail over two years. Got back 5% of that. Was the ~$65000 worth it? Wonders about the cost of the inmates returning because of that debt.

pixelated_pat

just another grown up kid who can't escape nostalg
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Today I learned that I can't continue to dwell on someone that doesn't care about me anymore, no matter how much I care about them.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Learned about canary resuscitators. Brought canaries into coal mines as an early warning for carbon monoxide and other harmful gases. Knew to leave if the bird died. Felt bad about that happening. Designed the canary resuscitator.

Amounts to a small cage. Hooked up an oxygen tank to it. Seals the bird off from outside air if it starts to look ill. Releases oxygen into the container to revive the bird.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Learned about the trolley problem thought experiment today. I find both solutions awful... but if forced to choose, I'd save five. I don't know why there can't be a way to just stop the train, though in this thought experiment.

pixelated_pat

just another grown up kid who can't escape nostalg
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Today I learned that the only one that's gonna make it happen for myself is me.

Years
    Til the identity and story of the brave little lady behind the the Pulitzer prize-winning photograph The Terror of War. It's a famous image that you may have seen in a history class or documentary about the Vietnam war. The photo shows crying children fleeing conflict. In the center or the picture there is a screaming little girl. Her clothes are gone, and the skin on her arm is hanging off. She has suffered a napalm attack, the fire bomb gel mix that sticks to like glue to anything it comes in contact with, and burns right through, whether it is concrete, vehicles, forestry or flesh. The napalm had eaten through the clothes on the child's back and was searing her skin.

It's a harrowing photograph. I had seen the image before, history is something that I am interested in, as well as art, and I am also anti-war and appreciate the role that artwork can play as a form of protest, and how this picture demonstrated the true cost of one of the worst wars ever, and how imagery like this reaching the public helped end the Vietnam war. I didn't know until today though who the girl in the picture was, and what happened to her.

I learned that her name was Phan Thi Kim Phúc, and that she was 9-years-old when that photo was taken in 1972. She lived in the town Trang Bang with her family, but then the North Vietnamese army came and occupied the area. Kim and her loved ones were among the civillians in the village who tried to get out of the way of the clashing North and South Vietnamese forces. The South Vietnamese air force flew in for military strikes and fired on the villagers, assuming that they were Northern troops, in an attack that killed Kim's cousins and left her back covered with napalm. As it melted her clothes and skin she ripped what was left of the burning material from her body, and kept running towards the Southern troops. It was there that a Vietnamese-American photojournalist with the Associated Press Nick Ut saw her, and took the iconic picture. He rushed her to a hospital in Saigon. She was expected to die of all the burns on her body, but miraculously she survived, and after 14 months in the hospital and 17 operations she was able to leave the medical center, and return to her family when she was 11. Nick, the photographer who helped save her life, came to see how she was doing, and had left the photograph that he had taken there for her in care of her dad.

It took a decade's worth of surgeries from doctors all around the wold before Kim could regain mobility, and had such damaged nerve endings that it meant excruciating pain, but she has survived, and has done a lot of good with her life. She went onto to go to college, travel to Europe, North and South America, would get married, start a family of her own, and founded a charitable organization dedicated to helping child victims of war- Kim foundation international. She is alive today, and goes to many places giving motivational speeches about the power of love and healing. She is 59-years-old, and has a beautiful smile. What a role model. I'm glad that her story has a happy ending. She and Nick have also become good friends and have kept in touch over the years.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen today
    Today I learned that you can click with two, three or four fingers on the touch pad of your laptop, and it opens respectively the right-click menu, a kind of start menu, and the notification menu. 😱
    Spoiler:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned there's a lot of Asian stories about being reincarnated into a fish. I had a dream a friend of mine became a goldfish said it would be a funny isekai...seems Japan, China and Korea already thought that years ago.

Years
    Today I learned that foreign Pokémon obtained via in game trades (such as Meister's Foppa)
    DO work for the Masuda method, despite what people have told me for years!

It never made sense to me why they wouldn't work tbth.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that the sun still doesn't set in the British territories ... but it very well could if they relinquish control of the Pitcairn Islands.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Today I learned that Ewan Mitchell, the actor who plays Aemond Targaryen in House of the Dragon, is only twenty.

I thought he was older, because I had seen him in The Last Kingdom and The Halcyon and he looked just the same. Figured out he'd be around 25-27 by now, but nope!

EDIT: Google has his age wrong! My initial hunch was right, and he's actually 25. (Thanks goodness - that makes me feel a little less dirty when looking at him as Aemond...)

Last edited:
    Back