• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Today I learned Legend of Neverland's area boss is 500,000 cp (combat power) and beating it is impossible at my current level (347,277). Time to get stronger, I guess.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Today I learned that a certain Dragon-type Elite Four's name can be pronounced the same as "hassle." An apt word to describe him.

Oh, and for extra punch, I also learned to do a stereotypical Cockney accent to pronounce his name. Most of it involved dropping the initial "H." Heheheheh.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • There is something called the Jakarta Incident. This is when British Airways Flight 009 flew through a cloud of volcanic ash -caused by an eruption- that resulted in the failure of all four engines. The flight was diverted to Jakarta (hence the incident name). After several attempts to restart the engines failed, 41-year-old Captain Eric Henry Moody announced to the passengers the following:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

I found that interesting and cool and thought I'd share upon reading it, haha.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Tw: Holocaust mention //

...Today I learned they put Jahova's witness, work shy and even past criminals in concentration camps, too.

And I have to ask the American School Systems: Why did you leave that out in history class? Honestly, I feel disturbed now, as a Jewish person just how many other groups were put in those horrible camps. I didn't know the whole extent of Germany's reach because school only really touched up on the surface of that stuff.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Tw: Holocaust mention //

...Today I learned they put Jahova's witness, work shy and even past criminals in concentration camps, too.

And I have to ask the American School Systems: Why did you leave that out in history class? Honestly, I feel disturbed now, as a Jewish person just how many other groups were put in those horrible camps. I didn't know the whole extent of Germany's reach because school only really touched up on the surface of that stuff.
    A lot of it is just that the US education system has been relatively poor for decades and isn't about to get better.

Parts of history tend to get glossed over or whitewashed, like how there were also concentration camps in America (for Japanese people) but that rarely gets mentioned and are usually referred to as the slightly less bad sounding "internment camps" even though there was little difference between them and the Nazi camps. Or how the nation's founders are often painted as great heroes and saints, but most were little more than rich slave owners who weren't completely fond of democracy. Or how the extent of the genocide committed against the native peoples is often downplayed/not fully made known. I can keep going.

There is a lot to cover to cover in history, and so there's simply not enough time in typical K-12 schooling to get to everything, but it's less that and more other things.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Today, after seeing the in-game sprite drawings, I learned that Hisuian Typhlosion is much less chonky than Johtonian Typhlosion.

Sure, handling all those spirits leaves you like a bag of bones, but it was still surprising and a bit disappointing. Let my boy have more meat on his bones like any old Johtonian Typhlosion, dang it! It's not fair!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Today I learned Somebody I used to know is not by Three Days Grace & it was a cover all along.

my life is a lie how did I not know this was a cover song
    To be fair, I've never heard of Gotye. So that could be why.

Retek

Banned
    Years
  • Today I learned that the dwarves in God of War, Brok and Sindri, are also called Brokkr and Eitri respectively.

Interestingly, for all those who watched Infinity War will remember the dwarf Thor found on Nidavellir was Eitri too! So he basically met Sindri there!

And considering how MCU said Mjolnir was forged in Nidavellir, this lines up really nicely with Norse mythology!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Today, I took a deep dive into Green Day's side projects, so let's get this started, shall we?

Green Day has 2 spin-off bands, and 1 associated act, and a cover-up band.

There was a spin-off band known as Foxboro Hot Tubs, which was the members of green day, and their touring members. They did one album in 2008, and haven't since.

There was a secret side project known as The Network a new-wave band. Four of the six members are Green Day members, the other two member's identities are completely unknown. It's honestly just...Green day wearing masks and costumes with very creepy, and outright uncomfortable cult like music. They were briefly active in 2003-2005, then went quiet until 2020-2021.

The only two albums they have are Money Money 2020, and Money Money 2020 II.

Apparently, back in the day, The Network would "denounce" Green Day and Green Day would denounce the Network and made a fake video of the bands interacting. But, in 2013, the bassist confirmed they were Green Day.

I listened to their 2020 album and I felt like nothing was real when listening to it, and some of the songs really bugged me. There was a flat earth song. I'm honestly convinced this entire side project is just some sick joke, or something.

There is a side band for covers called The Coverups but I'm unable to find much of anything about this other than it exists.

In 2018, Billie Joe Armstrong created an independent self published band known as The Longshot and it consisted of a former touring member. They had one album before disappearing. I listened to their songs, and they just feel like Green Day with different type of instrumentation.

And then there's sort of an associated act that formed before Green Day known as Pinhead Gunpowder but their activity is sporadic and scattered.

I also recently learned that Billie Joe Armstrong starred in a movie known as Ordinary World and I might check it out.

I honestly have to wonder why there's so many spin-offs and side projects of Green Day, and I have so many questions about the Network. I'm very uncomfortable with the culty feeling of this particular 2020 album. Also, Green Day is releasing a new album in 2023 known as 1972, excited. Hope it's not a miss because Father of All Motherfuckers had some blah tracks for me.

forg

Years
  • Orcas are savages, man.

They've been known to hunt great white sharks and eat their hearts and livers and "bully" great blue whales (and have killed calves). They sometimes flip sharks over to induce this paralytic state that immobilizes them, then feast on the liver.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I learned how to drive through an intersection safely.

Honestly, I feel so happy with my progress within these last 30 days.

At the start of November I couldn't get behind the wheel without shaking in utter terror. This morning I woke up at the break of day and drove a full 20 minutes to our local store and back. I even detoured into the intersection I had been fearing so much.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Today I learned that I don't hate Hallmark Christmas movies as much as I thought I did.

They're actually pretty good... in their original language, that is. The Latin American dubs range from average to ear-splitting. Look like movies with my favourites are not the only ones I need to turn SAP and subtitles on for.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    TIL in Germany you can get imprisoned if you get caught riding a bus or train without having bought a ticket and being unable to pay the extra fine. The law is described as "sneakily obtaining a service" (there's probably a better English term that I'm not aware of) and it was ratified in 1935 continuing to be a thing to this day.

I think it's easy to spot a lot of problems here.

forg

Years
  • I learned how to make Chicken Alfredo from scratch and it was a delicious success! Quite elated seeing how I no longer need to buy the jar of Alfredo sauce anymore. Now I can just make my own, voila.

Back