• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hi hi, and we now have an awesomely new thread. Hopefully the threat of automagical double-posting is away, at least for the time being.

I've been checking out tablet PCs lately and I actually tried out drawing with the Surface Pro 3's pen. It felt surprisingly paper-like. It's like I'm drawing on paper even though all I'm drawing on is glass...

Guess they really have come a long way with pen input.

Years
  • I really did wish more tablets had "pen & paper" support in general. It'd be such an excellent note-taking method for college students that love the digital world, such as myself.

Years
  • Oh we sorta have the same laptop TF. I have a Lenovo Yoga which also can turn into a tablet as well. Unlike you however I don't get a cool pen to go along with it, but I do have touch input from my fingers. Sadly there's no point for it as I'm fine with just a touchpad.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I thought I'd never see myself adapt to using a proper tablet, but my grandad recently invested in a Galaxy Tab 4 and it's so nice to use! Granted, it is saddled with the same woes facing any android system (and I am far from an expert in terms of looking after said tech), but, if there was ever cause to consider switching over to tablets from pcs and laptops, I've been convinced. Can't wait to really give Chromecast and the tablet's mirror function a whirl when I have more spare time.

Years
  • The Yogas are so cool, but they're also so expensive. This one isn't exactly flexible though, how it works is that the screen pivots then folds back on itself. It's really interesting, but the clasp is weakening, I might have to order some replacement parts and repair it myself - it'd cost a small fortune to send it in to Lenovo.
    Haha yeah it's pretty ridiculous how much it costs. Mine was $800 and I kinda wish I built a gaming PC with that money. Since Lenovo is more business oriented, it isn't what I'd call the fastest or quietest laptop, but at least it gets the job done I guess. Although mine did come with an SSD which probably brought the price up a little higher.

Years
  • I could have chosen a Yoga as a grad gift, but they went for $1200 when I was getting my grad gift PC. There's times I wish I had considered going for a cheaper, second-hand one that may have had upgrades and whatnot, or even a desktop, but I love the conveniences of a laptop.
    Yeah laptops are pretty convenient if you're traveling, but I've never taken my laptop anywhere so a desktop would be fine for me. The scariest thing that's happened to me though was when I spilled water on my laptop. That's one of the pros of a desktop. You spill water on a keyboard? Phh, buy a new one! You spill water on a laptop? Oh no. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. Luckily I was able to dry it off quickly enough, but when it wouldn't turn back on, I did what a sensible person would do: I turned it over, freaked out a little more, waited 3 days, and thank god it turned back on and has been working ever since (it's been like ~4-5 months now).

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Laptops should really come with waterproof keyboards nowadays.

Also, curse whoever decided I should have to remove the whole front of the laptop to install anything, and have to take out the motherboard to put in RAM.

Years
  • As much as I want to upgrade the RAM in my laptop, I really am contempt with just 8GB so far. 👍

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    As much as I want to upgrade the RAM in my laptop, I really am contempt with just 8GB so far. 👍

Funny you said that because I have been thinking the same thing.
    I love my laptop and games seem to run just fine on it. I have 8GB as well and it seems to be just enough.
    Yet, I'm considering putting in some more RAM, just so I can run games on a higher setting.
    A friend of mine actually gave me a spare RAM card he had so I could have 16GB of RAM, instead of 8GB.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I miss my desktop. Had to leave it behind for the parents back in Cali. That machine was a beast. 6 GB with an amazing graphics driver/processor.

I am looking at getting a new one myself. But I have my eye set on a Mac. It's extremely tempting. :( Honestly I can't live off just my laptop.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • yeah, I got my desktop because at the time my 7 year old Vista desktop ate the crapper. And I had to survive a couple weeks without an actual computer (had a tablet, but it wasn't enough) When I GOT my desktop, I was like "ugh i wish I had a laptop so i can have mobility". and I did end up getting a laptop eventually.

Now that I'm surviving Houston with a laptop, I want a desktop now. I'm so weird haha. I think as a computer geek, you gotta have at least a backup just in case.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • What's your reasoning for picking a Mac instead of a PC? If you don't mind me asking. :)

It's the latest OS they have right now, Yosemite. It's freaking amazing. I use a Mac in class, and it seriously makes me want one. What's more awesome is that I can iMessage, as well as call my contacts without ever reaching my iPhone. I figured it would be extreeeemely convenient for me. Can't really do that on windows.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Then again, because you have a Mac, you also have the option to set up a bootcamp and install Windows alongside it so you can have the best of both worlds.

That too! I'm still attached to Windows so I don't want to leave it behind completely.

Years
  • Laptops should really come with waterproof keyboards nowadays.
    Thank you! It's such an obvious thing to do to benefit the consumer, but no company I know does it! The closest thing I can think of is Lenovo's Thinkpads which has like an empty center or something with holes in the sides which allow water to drain out.
    Spoiler:

Also you people with 8GB of ram are so lucky. My Yoga came with a WHOPPING 4GB which is like soooo much. Cheapskates couldn't even put in another 4GB. :P

Years
  • Wait really? My Acer came with 8GB standard, although that's also the maximum it can take :(
    Lol yeah my stats aren't exactly the best at all:
    LFRF5zI.png

Years
  • You have an i5 though, this laptop only has an i3 :( It's not bad though, but it could use a little more oomph tbh.
    i5, i3, you're ahead of me lol. Yeah it definitely could use a lot more "oomph". It's weird like has this ever happened to you where you kinda just leave your computer on with nothing open at all and even though nothing's on, your computer's fan(s) starts like just getting louder and louder and blowing harder?

Years
  • Yeah. Last night, I was doing a dual-screen setup for my homework, and it was heating up my computer a lot. As soon as I unplugged the HDMI cable it instantly began cooling down. I try keeping it on a cooling pad to make sure that it doesn't get too warm though. My guideline is to keep it below 60C.
    Cooling pad... smart. :) I didn't even know computers could get near 60C and not be damaged. I use Fahrenheit and 60C = 140F which is like crazy high to me.

Years
  • Yeah. I've gamed on this thing up to 75C when it was somewhat dirty, but that's really pushing it. However, I have Coretemp installed, so I set it that if the computer hits 80C, it will shut down the computer in 60 seconds to prevent overheating damages.

Now that warmer weather is upon us, I may take my laptop outside, disassemble it, and clean it out. It really needs it considering how dusty the apartment I live in is.
    Oh that's pretty cool (or hot in this case :P). I'd never trust myself to disassemble my laptop. I'd probably mess something up and kill it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back