• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidote

Nido-Nut
Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2016
    As far as overrated I agree with Charizard. Though I'm almost certain that the majority of the fanbase doesn't love Oshawott.

Since I don't really battle competitively I can't really gauge what is overrated and underrated. But I can think of pokemon that get too much or too little love.

Too much: PIKACHU. Especially by official standards. And overrated too. Whenever I've played Yellow or anything which forces the 'chu upon the player it's always been a burden with its awful defences.

Charmander and Cyndaquil families. Cyndaquil's cute but I seriously don't get what everyone sees in Charizard. It's not even that cool, really.

As for pokemon that need more love? Or at least less hate...

Bidoof: ... yes. This is more of the "less hate" category since really, there's nothing that wrong with him other than his derpy appearance. Simple's a pretty good ability!

Articuno and Kyurem: I just happen to love the cold, and these ice type legends with it. From an art standpoint, these two would easily be able to inspire more beauty than their more popular brethren.

Blastoise: Call it nostalgia, but I will always hold Blastoise in high regard, Squirtle was my very first pokemon and the entire line has been an influence since then, I've always went for the water starter on my first time with any future games.

Tepig: By the standards of both fire starters and 5th gen starters Tepig seems like the neglected middle child of the group. Real shame too, I find the lil' firepig adorable.

Nidoran, Nidorino, Nidorina and to a slightly lesser extent, Nidoking and Nidoqueen: Yeah, obvious choice is obvious. Anyways, if there's ever a single group of pokemon I felt deserved way better, it's these guys. Borderline mascot material or at least deserve some recognition. From a design standpoint they seem to cover so much. The lower morphs can appeal to the cute side and the larger ones can appeal to those who prefer the bigger, scarier mons:

And yet despite that, and Nidorino's near iconic appearance with Gengar in the opening of the Kanto-based games (except blue) and the Anime they're still pretty much unloved... I mean, they don't have much competitive use... but neither does Pikachu. Besides, what's cooler than literal killer rabbits?

The saddest part is that pretty much every part of the industry (both game freak and the anime writers) seemingly do their very best to make sure they're shoved aside and neglected. Took them nearly two years to even acknowlege Nidoran outside of background appearances...

Okay, I'm kinda prattling here, I'll stop.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    Overrated: Garchomp? Take him out of a sand storm and he's just a defenseless dragon.

Underrated: Lanturn: Ummm, BO$$? Water/Electric and he looks like a freaking bo$$ of a pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    I've always found Rotom-W to be incredibly "ugly" and incredibly overrated. People have obsessed over the typing it has combined with its ability but Lanturn was the same type (granted no levitate so the ground immunity becomes a weakness) and never got anything close in terms of hype or love. I always felt Lanturn had a better design, if inferior stats. I know it's because Lanturn isn't as competitive, but the typing was really clever and made me like it from the start of Silver/Gold.

Rotom-A is a mixed blessing though because I feel Rotom-C is incredibly underrated in comparison to its washing machine companion. It deals with a fair few major threats including the rampant Rotom-W's mentioned above, and can deal with pretty much every bulky water. The design is awesome too. The grin it has is hilarious, and one of the reasons I'd pick it over Rotom-W any day. Rotom without an appliance doesn't get enough love for being cute as hell, too.

Ferrothorn I could rant about for days. It does a good job at what it does but so do many other Pokemon. I never really liked its design nor felt its design matched its bulk, and with the advent of Smogoners going mad over it it's just become one of those Pokemon I couldn't love if I tried.

Eevee's been mentioned as overrated a few times but I don't really think it is. I felt Eevee always had an adorable design and was very well thought up in terms of its varied evolutions. The "Eeveelutions" (bar Vaporeon but including Espeon after the hype died down) are especially underrated competitively too. I find Jolteon better looking, and a far better user of volt switch than Rotom-W.

Metagross I feel is underrated. The majority of the pseudo-ubers get incredible amounts of love (Dragonite especially in Gen 5, Salamence in every generation its existed, T-tar too) but it was always Metagross that I found to be intriguing. Facing Steven's for the first time was ace and I instantly wanted one. Incredibly underrated in the meta-game too, but I blame Ferro and co. The catch rate of 3 was a massive rush for me when I encountered my first shiny one in Diamond, especially since take down has 20 PP and that's all the Beldums, even at level 52, know. Hydreigon and Dragonite get balanced love that in my opinion is well deserved, but Dragonite is gonna end up overrated because it's on every team now and isn't as special or as fun to see as it once was.

I know this is all subjective but I just thought I'd ramble on.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I think the most underrated Pokemon would have to be Mismagius...

It has great Speed, Special Defense, and Special Attack, and if you play it right, it can be a monster on the playing field.

It's overlooked because it it's somewhat shallow movepool, but it can be adapted to specialized positions, and it can be adapted very very well.

User19sq

I honestly think that Scraggy and Scrafty are far too overrated. I see tons of people using it here and there, and I can't for the love of God understand why they love it so much. It has a weird design and a semi-faulty typing. It makes me think of the fandom at times.

As for underrated, I gotta go with every Gen III Pokemon Armaldo. Sure, it's slow. But hey, you gotta admit that it's a powerful beast in the long run.

Nagaraja

আমি সর্প থেকে নোয়ান নিচে হবে
    Years
  • Over-Rated. Arceus. It really is just another Mew/Mewtwo...and it's a goat. Whoopie. I don't see many people battling with it, but a lot of people love it. And I don't see why. O.o

Under Rated: Breloom. I have won almost every battle with my Breloom alone without switching out. Due to the fact that it has many healing abilities. I love my Breloom. It's my mushroom princess. :D
    I think more people should appreciate it.

Years
  • Over-Rated. Arceus. It really is just another Mew/Mewtwo...and it's a goat. Whoopie. I don't see many people battling with it, but a lot of people love it. And I don't see why. O.o

Under Rated: Breloom. I have won almost every battle with my Breloom alone without switching out. Due to the fact that it has many healing abilities. I love my Breloom. It's my mushroom princess. :D
    I think more people should appreciate it.

I agree with you on Breloom, it's very awesome but it's 4x Flying weakness makes many competitive trainers want to stay away from it. Also, it has the really cool Poison Heal.

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I love all dragon & psychic pokemon but I feel Garchomp is overrated, no way does it deserve to be in ubers. As for underrated, i'd have to say Metagross, I don't feel Metagross gets near the respect or usage it deserves.

Years
  • I have an intense dislike of Dragonite mainly due to the fact that it was the most awesome-super-cool critter in Gen I. It takes ages to train and the end result is nothing really special, to be honest. There are plenty of other Dragon critters out there more powerful (Salamence) and with more interesting typings than Dragonite (Kingdra, Flygon, Garchomp) and yet Dragonite seems to be revered in many places. I just don't get it, to be honest!

Well, it has a movie appearance, in the first I believe. And, I absolutely LOVE dragon types! Dragonite has just been considered the "original" dragon in the game. Salamence is rather harder to get, and same with Flygon. Then Kingdra is water, so not much of a powerhouse. And Garchomp, not the best movepool. As for my opinion on the overrated ones, the eeveelutions, shiny Charizard, Lucario, Zoroark, Pikachu, and most legendaries.

As for underrated, I say the Poliwrath/Politad stuff. I mean, I love those guys! I rarely see them though. :/

Also nobody gives love to bird pokemon that you find on the first route. Like Pidgeot, Staraptor, etc. And what about Butterfree? I love that little guy. Oh ya and Golem, is great.

PaperNapkin

Owner of Red Hair.
    Years
  • What with all the legendary birds I feel a lot of people under value pokemon like Pidgeot, Noctowl, Starraptor etc.

Years
  • Underrated: Chimecho by far. I haven't lost online or to my friends yet with mine! :classic:
    Way overrated: Lucario/ Zoroark. They really are used/ talked about too much and really aren't as good as they're made out to be.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    What with all the legendary birds I feel a lot of people under value pokemon like Pidgeot, Noctowl, Starraptor etc.

Definitely. I loved my Pidgeot in Yellow and my Staraptoer in Platinum and my Noctowl in SS.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back