• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Game's Music Awards - General! ♪ [Round 2 Voting! Check post #13]

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Video Game's Music Awards - General! ♪ [Round 2 Voting! Check post #13]

Welcome to the VG's Music Awards, or Music Showdown! Here, I'm all but curious to hear what is PC's favourite video game track from a wide list of categories! But since there's so many, each of them are going to be broken down into a couple of weeks!

At any rate, this week's theme is General! What does that mean? You can nominate ANY music from any video game that you like!

How does this work?
    So, each time that there's a Video Game's Music Awards thread that pops up, all of you can nominate any one of your favourite tracks, or any other tracks that you think deserve the spotlight, to be featured to be the best video game music that represents the theme!

After the nomination period, the next phase will be for voting, in which, every track that has been nominated by someone will be up for votes! Everyone can vote to a minimum of two tracks that will win! In the end, whichever track has the most votes, will be the winner! And that's not all - there will be a featured emblem representing that video game music for the voters! And the winning theme will be put on display for everyone to hear! So, vote carefully!

Schedule
    This schedule is subject to change dependent on quantity of nominees and other circumstances.

Nominations will last February 7 - 14
    Voting will last from February 14 - 21
    Winner will be declared on February 22nd!​

Nomination Form
    Your nomination form must be done LIKE THIS. Any nominations that do not follow this guideline cannot compete!

Nominee: (The name of the soundtrack)
    Link to Video: (You can link it, or post a embed video of it!)
    Why: (Let the voters know WHY this track is the best there is for this theme! It can be as long as you want!)​

Nominees
    That Person's Name Is Nominated by El Héroe Oscuro
    Busted Bayou Nominated by Klippy
    Lightning Battle Nominated by Dunsparce

Prizes
    There will be emblems given out to those that participate in this!
    The person who nominates the winner of the Showdown will be allowed to select the next Video Game's Music Awards's topic/theme!

Credits for the video gaming showdown for an idea like this!

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Glad to see this back! I'm going to keep going with my theme on this one:

Nominee: That Person's Name Is - Bravely Default
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-9ihcy2R8
    Why: Bravely Default has a lot of charm to it, and it's soundtrack is no exception. Something that I've noticed with this game's soundtrack is that it uses a lot of unique instruments that creates a one of a kind sound. The song I'm nominating is the music used in the majority of the battles within the game, and it's honestly one of my favorites songs in video gaming. It gives off a very epic and immersive feel to it, as you almost feel like a part of the battle ensuing around you. It definitely resounds around boss battles, as it almost feels like the song is pushing you to land the final blow on your enemy. This fast paced track has always been able to hook me into the game, and thus is why I'm nominating it.​

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I didn't nominate last go-around, so here's my shot. ;)

Busted Bayou
    from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Why:
    Originally I was going to pick a modern version of Stickerbrush Symphony or Aquatic Ambiance, but I wanted to give some love to the newer tracks by the master of Kong song. David Wise. This is just one of those all-around fun tracks from the game and I really quite enjoy the new songs. They fit well with the old classics.​

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
    Nominee: Lightning Battle - Kid Icarus: Uprising

Why: Possibly the most Kickass theme in a game full of Kickass music, "Lightning Battle" is an electrifying electronic/rock song. Its fast paced, intense and has one of the best electric guitar's in any video game ever (at least in my opinion).

Did i mention that the song's kickass?

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
    Nominee: Flying Battery Zone Act 2 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Why: It sets the mood for the environment you're in: a fast mechanical level with the goal of defeating the Boss at the end

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
    Nominee: Don't Speak Her Name!

Why: It's probably the best song i've heard in Fire Emblem Awakening and many people should agree. People might say that Id Purpose or Conquest Ablaze is better, but it's the turning point in Fire Emblem Awakening and the best song that represents that chapter(Can't really tell what happens without giving spoilers.) I chose this song over Conquest Ablaze because of how deep it gets if you really know the storyline well and understand what is going on in that certain chapter. I'll have you know, I played that chapter and only cried for 20 minutes!​

Years
    Nominee: ODIN SPHERE's Theme -Shanachie Ver.-

Why: This is the song that played during the end credits of Odin Sphere. It is lovely track that is both vocal and instrumental. Whenever I listen to this song, inside my mind I am taken away to a dreamlike world of fantasy, especially in the instrumental second half of the song. The fiddle, recorder, and bodhrán combination give off a mystical Irish folk kind of atmosphere.Though the lyrics in the vocal segment are in Japanese, one can easily sit back and listen to the flow of the singer's voice and how it serves as an instrument carrying meaning and emotion.

I looked up the translated lyrics of this song for the first time...
    Spoiler:

It's amazing how I was able to get a sense of what this song meant before knowing the lyrics by the feeling alone! When I was younger, I even used to listen to this song sometimes before going to sleep. A very nice way to drift into slumber.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Alright, I have something to contrast the (mostly) newer contributions to the thread thus far, partly because someone else shared another song by the artist elsewhere, and partly because I had just beaten this game and felt picking this would be better than getting hung up on which song to contribute.

Nominee: Strike the Earth! - Shovel Knight

Why: Because Jake Kaufman is one of the best VG composers out there imo, certainly in the retro-style genre at least.

He has certainly made a good name for himself, and there are a bunch of great tunes by him (such as this and this from the Shantae series, or this fantastic last-level tune from Mighty Flip Champs. But Shovel Knight is something I beat recently, so I'm going with this tune.

It's not only catchy, but it also fits darn well imo. This song is what plays in the first level. Consider the introduction to the tune before it repeats with more depth; that's what starts as the level loads, your character jumps onto the screen and strikes a pose. Consider also that you're then hearing this tune when you're just starting a game, one that has had high acclaim across the board to the point of winning awards after a very successful kickstarter campaign. Then as mentioned, after you gain control of the character and the tune semi-fades away that same section repeats, but better, and then it transitions into the next part of the tune, an additional beat is added...

It's a great way to set the level and get you genuinely excited about playing the game. Serves its purpose very well.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Alright, I have something to contrast the (mostly) newer contributions to the thread thus far, partly because someone else shared another song by the artist elsewhere, and partly because I had just beaten this game and felt picking this would be better than getting hung up on which song to contribute.

Nominee: Strike the Earth! - Shovel Knight

Why: Because Jake Kaufman is one of the best VG composers out there imo, certainly in the retro-style genre at least.

He has certainly made a good name for himself, and there are a bunch of great tunes by him (such as this and this from the Shantae series, or this fantastic last-level tune from Mighty Flip Champs. But Shovel Knight is something I beat recently, so I'm going with this tune.

It's not only catchy, but it also fits darn well imo. This song is what plays in the first level. Consider the introduction to the tune before it repeats with more depth; that's what starts as the level loads, your character jumps onto the screen and strikes a pose. Consider also that you're then hearing this tune when you're just starting a game, one that has had high acclaim across the board to the point of winning awards after a very successful kickstarter campaign. Then as mentioned, after you gain control of the character and the tune semi-fades away that same section repeats, but better, and then it transitions into the next part of the tune, an additional beat is added...

It's a great way to set the level and get you genuinely excited about playing the game. Serves its purpose very well.
    Shovel Knight is an excellent game and honestly one of my favorite games of all time; nice choice on your part!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Nominee: Dream of the Shore Near Another World (Chrono Cross)
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKcr2OTgws
    Why: Chrono Cross in general belongs to my two all time favorites in terms of OST. This track in particular is what I think of first whenever someone mentions Chrono Cross. The whole game has a really melancholic tropical atmosphere and I think this track sets you into mood perfectly. It's one of the overworld themes, and the first one, that play in Another World, specifically around the hometown of the protagonist.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Nominee: Inevitable Struggle (Super Arrange) - Zero no Kiseki/Ao no Kiseki

Why: It's not a music contest without one Falcom song now! (said by the very few Falcom fans.)

Inevitable Struggle (Super Arrange). It's most likely the pinnacle that Falcom has reached with their current style, the usage of the duo of an electric guitar and violin. Both the violin and guitar are obviously the highlights of the song, but what's intriguing is that it's like if both instruments are vying for control, like an inevitable struggle (don't kill me). You can hear what I'm talking about, be put into practice if you listen closely. There are instances during the song which gives the spotlight to the guitar, which then leads to violin in the limelight, then to progress to both playing together. It rinses-and-repeats this process all the way to the end, where it gets especially frantic with the solos being passed on to each other at a much quicker pace as the song goes on.

Now for some context! This song plays only three times during Ao no Kiseki, but each time felt so incredibly fitting (with the exception of one). It plays for Arios, Shirley, and Wald. Each of these characters are established to be some the more stronger characters in the series, with one of them that can even compete to being one of the strongest as well. The first fight against Arios is where the song is displayed in all of it's glory, and what's the first thing going through your head? "Holy shit. How in the heck am I going to beat Arios motherfucking Maclaine? The Grand Chevalier of Wind!". And rightfully so! Since he'll probably decimate your party, if you don't have a sound strategy. (also, you can lose the fight and the game will still progress, only cementing the fact that you're going to struggle for a win.)

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Thanks for nominating, guys! Now it's time for the voting round! Now for the voting round, if you choose to vote, vote for at least two of the video game music nominations that will be listed below. You're allowed to vote for more than that, but, just know that the minimum is two. Anyone is allowed to vote!

Anywho, check out the nominees in the spoilers below! You can listen to each one, and vote for your favourites!

Spoiler:

If you're voting, just post on this thread! For example, you can vote like this (which are my votes BTW):

That Person's Name Is
    Busted Bayou
    Lightning Battle

You can just list your votes, or.. anyway you want; if you want to provide an explanation on why you voted for the themes that you voted for, that'll be great too! At any rate, happy voting, and good luck!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I can't believe I've missed out. Anyway, here are my votes:

That Person's Name Is
    Busted Bayou
    Lightning Battle
    Don't Speak Her Name
    Odin Sphere's Theme -Shananchie Ver.-

Years
    Awwh... not as many nominations this round.
    Here are my votes:

Busted Bayou
    Don't Speak Her Name!
    Inevitable Struggle (Super Arrange)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I had intended on putting up a song for this, but I just kept putting it off and putting it off. Sigh. Oh well, here's my votes.

That Person's Name Is
    Lightning Battle Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Don't Speak Her Name!
    Dream of the Shore Near Another World

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Busted Bayou (I know, I'm cheap)
    Strike the Earth!
    Inevitable Struggle (Super Arrange)

There were a few others I wanted to vote for, but I'm trying to restrict myself a bit. I love Busted Bayou in every way. It's just a classic DKC song. And I enjoy the other two a lot. :)

Back