• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    why would you guys hate fakemons? most people when they make a hack there gonna make a new region.new region should have new pokemon. like the unova region and hoenn. n i really hate the 4th generation of pokemon cause it seem like they rushed it. it has so little new species. sorry for bad grammer. just rushing through.

Last edited:

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Palettes are damn annoying, why can't they just add a sprite list containing all the blocks? Instead of manual hand work..

RHIOne

Dev of Hack Album RHIOne
    Years
  • What do I hate? the creators not finishing them or doing a crappy job and calling it good... I want more people like Linkandzelda and Manipulation who continuously work on the hacks to create a FINISHED good one.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2015
    Poor spelling and a poorly written intro. Also, if I like it but it never gets finished.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2011
    I hate when the game is exactly the same but they just added in some new custom sprites that are just plain terrible

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
  • 1) Hacks that claim to be original, but are really just another retread through Kanto with a different plot. C'mon, don't call it original if it's not.

2) Grammar errors/typos. Please, proofread your text.

3) No original scripts. I like it when people think outside the box, and do more than just what the original game can do. I mean, there's not much point in hacking it if it's just a different story/area that plays *exactly* the same with no new minigames or anything at all.

4) Glitches in the final version. I know mistakes happen, but when you announce a version as "final" that should be when you've fixed every glitch. Not just when you have the main scripting done.

5) I'm going to take Deokishisu's idea and agree with it. Having no windows on houses is really unrealistic.

6) Tile errors. I don't mind the rare error with how they look, but when you walk right through something... Yeah, you really should have tested that first.

7) When the first beta (sometimes even finals) or so only has the Male gender programmed in if they changed the sprites. I mean, if you're going to ask "What is your gender?" at least have both options available!

I don't mind when people make Fakemon, it shows that they have some originality. I wish people would stop bashing them. :/

And unfinished hacks are fine. At least we can play what was done!

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    what really annoys you about hacks?
    i get annoyed by the following-
    1/tile errors. one or two i'm fine with, but if the whole hack is one big tile error, like a few of the hacks i've played, then i just really don't like it.
    2/maps and scripts that are just minor edits, like making a building bigger and the rest is obviously just a mountanious pallet town, and then someone walks through it saying the same stuff as oak
    3/pe0pl speekin liek tis
    4/bad spriting, if you can't sprite, don't
    Good thread...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's see...
    What I hate of a hack is the following...
    1. HG graphics, complemented by bad maps and scripts...
    2. A hack with simple scripts like: "Ohhh hello"...
    3. The same story, the same style, the same scripts...
    4. Maps with little modifications...
    5. Bad moving permitions, and tile errors...
    6. Horrible grammar...

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    No offense, but I really don't like Fakemon.
    Also, I also don't like bad grammar on hacks.

That's all. Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    Why does everyone hate Fakemon?Without them every game would have the same Pokemon that you would battle again and again until GameFreak make a new game and even then only one or two hacks even include a few Pokemon of the newest gen(though when gen 6 comes out gen 5 Pokemon might be in more hacks).If the game includes an area not in any of the games it should have Fakemon for that area.

Years
  • I only read the first few pages and this might be irrelevant to the rest of the thread but:

Why would you hate a hack just for being a Fire Red hack? That makes no sense whatsoever. People hack Fire Red because there are many more tutorials on mapping AND scripting for Fire Red. Plus Emerald - most people either like it or not. I don't. I like Fire Red because it was the second game I played and the first game I played on a Gameboy Advance (SP) (Well it was actually Leaf Green but there is very little difference; gameplay-wise). Also the best and most commonly used script machine, XSE, has some tutorials that are Fire Red exclusive (I haven't had a thorough look but there might actually be no R/S/E exclusive guides in the tutorial on XSE). The reason Fire Red is used so much is because it is promoted the most by this forum, just look at all the Fire Red tutorials (and hacks).

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
    Years
  • There's not much that bothers me. It's an original product, and if you don't like it, move on to another hack. Honestly, I am more bothered, as a romhacker, by followers that feel the need to tell me I am doing it wrong-- I have hacks without fakémon, but they chastise me for having one hack with fakémon, for example. It's beneficial when someone contributes, not so much when they say "you are doing it wrong." It's kinda like a backseat driver.

That said, there are a few places I draw the line.

1: Spelling and grammar. Regional dialects are alright (Gamefreak even uses "rural" dialects for some characters, and you can't really hold someone at fault for British/American English (an before "h"s, for example, or colour vs color), when the former is a purer version of the language and the latter is quickly becoming the world standard. Nor is an error here or there intolerable, if the quality of the hack is sufficient (such as, say, AshGrey.) However, if the creator clearly has little mastery of english or isn't trying, or if there's not really anything else there to make up for it, it's the most key part of an hack and can really turn it into something along the lines of a bad Twilight fanfiction in terms of quality.

2: Mapping errors-- Blocks that don't mesh, or walls you can walk through. I can tolerate "unnatural" maps (like Quartz's remixes of the cities of Hoenn), since the natural thing is better but not essential, but having constant visual glitches is frustrating and breaks the suspension of belief necessary for role-playing games.

3: BAD fakémon. I mean, like Quartz, which has both terrible designs and, in spite of some early posts ITT, bad spriting-- The lines are straight, the proportions wonky, the parts misaligned and the shading of poorer quality than the earliest graphical RPG's. On the other hand, good fakémon provide entertainment for me and make an hack original and enjoyable; Sadly, we don't see many of these, and most of the fakémon hacks we get are rushed and low-effort/low-skill endeavours that end up being something that could have been much better with canon 'mons.

4: Game-breaking glitches. Honestly, I've played very few completed hacks that actually have these, since most people use VBA, but as someone that uses no$gba (runs faster, is more flexible) outside of palette editing, it's frustrating when, for example, it fails the header checksum in no$ and thus is unplayable without a different emulator; And, of course, broken scripts do pop up occasionally, and should be kept out of completed hacks.

So, basically, glitches and things that are plainly and undeniably ugly; Everything else is a subjective matter of personal preference, and while one person may not like, say, Touhoumon, I enjoy it greatly. And, of course, there are things like Quartz that are so bad they're good (though I applaud Baro on keeping it technically glitch-free).

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • Hmm... for me it is probably the standard "Pokemon Adventure" theme that everyone goes for. I wish people would be more original and make the main character go on an adventure to raise enough money to buy a new fridge, get revenge on someone who has hurt their family, escape a building evil force that has destroyed their home town or anything that would add to the flavour of the game!

Another peeve of mine is that hacks get started every day, but hardly any get finished. There have been so many promising ideas that have just fell through because the main project manager just gave up. And then starts another hack with little intention of finishing...

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2012
    The re-use of Team Rocket as an evil team because the hacker couldn't think of a good evil plot.

When they say they've disbanded for good, they meant it, heck even the only one who wanted to resurect TR in Unova decided against it.

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
    Years
  • Hmm... for me it is probably the standard "Pokemon Adventure" theme that everyone goes for. I wish people would be more original and make the main character go on an adventure to raise enough money to buy a new fridge, get revenge on someone who has hurt their family, escape a building evil force that has destroyed their home town or anything that would add to the flavour of the game!
    What a coincidence, the project after my next one is going to be founded on a V for Vendetta-style premise of becoming a one-man rebel force in a dystopian futuristic region.

I'm actually not too bothered by that, though. The region, dialogues, difficulty, spriting and puzzles, not to mention the fakémon, are more what I play hacks for, though an unusual plot is never a drawback.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • What a coincidence, the project after my next one is going to be founded on a V for Vendetta-style premise of becoming a one-man rebel force in a dystopian futuristic region.

I'm actually not too bothered by that, though. The region, dialogues, difficulty, spriting and puzzles, not to mention the fakémon, are more what I play hacks for, though an unusual plot is never a drawback.

Looking forward to it. :D Sounds a little like the Hunger Games, now THAT would make a great hack. The districts translating as towns and the indigo plateau as the Capitol?

On topic though, another thing I realised I hate about hacks is massive routes that take just FOREVER to traverse. Also I dislike generic dialog. I mean, the hacker has complete control of the game, why not make them say something interesting/funny?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Looking forward to it. :D Sounds a little like the Hunger Games, now THAT would make a great hack. The districts translating as towns and the indigo plateau as the Capitol?

On topic though, another thing I realized I hate about hacks is massive routes that take just FOREVER to traverse. Also I dislike generic dialog. I mean, the hacker has complete control of the game, why not make them say something interesting/funny?
    In response to the routes I would say I love that. I hate ridiculousy short roads, especially if the world map depicts them as these massively long routes but in game they're shorter than Garyl Coleman. Also with generic dialogue I hope you're not referring to the NPC's because there isn't much an NPC can say. A lot of people don't speak to them at all. So why waste witty lines on characters that may never get heard. If you're talking about the story central characters, I couldn't agree more.

darkfighter

That random guy
    Years
  • Fakemon I can deal with. Some are cool, others are just... *gag*.

I pretty much hate hacks with an untouched storyline. You could be catching the greatest pokemon in the world, in all sorts of fun maps, yet you're confronted by meeting the SAME professor, fighting the SAME exact trainers in the original, with the same EXACT lines, only in different places. This sort of pisses me off. RPG's need good story lines, and are trash without them. Also, messing with the maps, yet retaining the world map is messed up. Take a nice smooth route you're familar with, and chop it up into a bunch of ledges and grass patches.

And I disargee with the FR hacks. FR is actually one of the easier games to hack into. R/S/E have those annoying cutscences of the legendaries, and that messes up whatever storyline you're trying to change. A sprite is hard enough, but a MOVING CUTSCENCE ANIMATED SPRITE takes skill. However, R/S/E DOES have better sprites in general, so the trade-off is good, in my opinion.

blue4ever222

=^.^=
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2015
    Hmmm.... For me it has always been when people NEVER finish the hack, especially if the hack has a great storyline and potential.... I get so excited for it to finish then sometimes they never do. TT_TT

I also hate it when people cuss way too much, and it doesn't make the game seem realistic, and I hate fakemon, even if they are well sprited. It just.... doesn't feel... right. T_T

Back