• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What do you miss about Generation V?

Years
I *just* finished White 2 for the first time (well, at least defeated the Elite Four.) So I guess I can't technically post here, but I'll say I loved how polished it felt and the amount of features it has compared to the older generations, like the Join Avenue, Pokemon World Tournament and the Pokestar Studio. It felt like a very complete game and the story was a little more in-depth then I was expecting for a Pokemon game, which was a refreshing change. I played White/Black 1 a long while ago, but I enjoyed its story too.

I'm also pretty overwhelmed by the amount of post-game content available in White 2, its very nice. I'd say Black/White 2 is probably the best generation I've played. I'm a little worried about when I start X/Y this week because I keep hearing post-game content is dismal and that is something I really value.

Very true! To be completely honest, after playing my main White 2 for the Get-Together challenge, I really missed how much fun playing through the post-game content was, including the White Treehollow, PWT, and the many other areas it had to offer, including battling trainers like Colress and the Game Freak executives. Ever since, i've booted it up for no reason other than to play it just because. I definitely enjoyed the main story in BW, too, for many things, including ending on a note that's different from what every other main series game does (instead of having you defeat the Champion), and the only using new Pokémon. The latter isn't likely to happen anymore, given the gigantic Pokédex that XY has. But I still enjoy making progress throughout White 2, and not just doing challenges on my Gen V games.

Speaking of XY, as for the post-game there, it really depends on how much of a breeder/collector you are. Because of how much easier breeding for good IVs is in them, it's not all bad for those, especially if you're a competitive battler. Even though i'm not, I still like collecting for no reason other than to have around. I do really enjoy the Battle Maison, but that's a different story.

Animated sprites.

While I didn't have any 5th Gen games when it was new (I only bought White last week), I saw what the animated sprites were like through simulators like Pokemon Showdown. They looked really well made in my opinion, and just as I was getting used to them, X/Y came around with full 3D models instead. I miss those sprites, since they're something I grew really attached to, so it was saddening to see them go. Let alone animated sprites, which somewhat showcase what a Pokemon does in wait for a command.

Yeah, I was a big fan of those animated sprites. XY did have 3D sprites which, while cool, didn't have the same lively effect that these sprites did. I do agree that they're about what Pokémon do waiting for your orders.

And the people saying they liked Pokéstar Studios, that is great. Considering the Champion in XY was a movie star, it really makes you wonder...

Years
Very true! To be completely honest, after playing my main White 2 for the Get-Together challenge, I really missed how much fun playing through the post-game content was, including the White Treehollow, PWT, and the many other areas it had to offer, including battling trainers like Colress and the Game Freak executives. Ever since, i've booted it up for no reason other than to play it just because. I definitely enjoyed the main story in BW, too, for many things, including ending on a note that's different from what every other main series game does (instead of having you defeat the Champion), and the only using new Pokémon. The latter isn't likely to happen anymore, given the gigantic Pokédex that XY has. But I still enjoy making progress throughout White 2, and not just doing challenges on my Gen V games.

Speaking of XY, as for the post-game there, it really depends on how much of a breeder/collector you are. Because of how much easier breeding for good IVs is in them, it's not all bad for those, especially if you're a competitive battler. Even though i'm not, I still like collecting for no reason other than to have around. I do really enjoy the Battle Maison, but that's a different story.

Oh okay. Yeah I actually have never competitively battled before. D= I suppose I should try dip my toes into that eventually.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2019
I miss Zekrom most. Best legendary mascot ever. I also really miss the storyline. Being the chosen one was completely amazing and they should carry that forward with all the games (it was crappy not having it in Black/White 2). I also miss N! He was a cool character and his ideal of wanting Pokemon to be free was easy to identify with even if it flew in the face of what Pokemon has been about.

Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2024
I miss the stories in both BW/B2W2. It was something new and refreshing, Gen 5 gets a lot of hate for it's Pokemon but I think they just wanted to try something new and see how it went and maybe if it was received differently then XY might have been different too.

I liked the post game for Gen 5 with the PWT and having sections of region unplayable until you beat the Elite 4. Unova was paced very well, it broke up Gym battles with the story and exploration never leaving a dull moment, I feel like this was something that was to happen in Kalos, that they wanted to pace out the region and have a bigger post game.

I think that Kalos was to mirror Unova with having a gym at Camphier, Ambrette, Geosenge, Shalour, Courmine and the last gym at Lumiose. Then the player would walk back from Lumiose to Santalune onto route 22 then up to the Pokemon league.
The post game would of taken place at Lavere, Dendemille, Anistar, Couriway, Snowbelle and the Pokemon village.

As the eastern side of Kalos is broken up largely by small towns where there is something to do but suddenly becomes a massive grind of gym battles once you get beat Korrina at the tower of mastery.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I did miss alot of things. Of course, there are things that made Unova great, like Soundtrack and Story, but something that was a bit lacking, in other games, that I felt was prominent here, would be convience. Pokémon was becoming somewhat of a predicatble outlook, by Generation 4. Generation 5 kept what made Pokémon good, added new elements, yet kept true to the original formula. Like they say "It's the small things that count."

Generation 5 added more Post-game content, more ways to catch Pokémon(like Phenomena), an original regional Pokédex, that surpasses Kanto's, more accessiblity, Dream World, so many small things, that made this game better.

B/W, of course, had a good story. Far better than any other Pokémon story before it. It at least, tried to make the player think. It didn't end on you beating the Champion, for the 5th time. It ended on the final battle that would have decided the relationship between people and Pokémon. It called everyone, even the Gym Leaders to help out(which is a first, btw). You had a decent cause to persue....and N, was awesome, he knew what he was going to do, and had his goals, set clear. You felt part of something, that would change everything.

B/W2, introduced way more content to be packed into a small DS cartidge. We had PWT, which was hands-down, the best battle facility, just choose your victim, Gym Leader or Champion, and wreck house. Join Avenue, is the absolute most brillant thing ever. People can tell me thar XY made competitve way more accessible, but Gen 5 did it first. We had ways to boost friendship, ways to boost EV's and get some quick levels, shops, and so much more, in the same place. Also the return of move tutors, cool. Getting shards hasn't been EASIER. Funfest Missions were the bomb, it made getting items, easier(for those who don't know, I managed to get up to 30 shards each time I play it, and they let you keep what you get.)

Unova is often times critized for being linear. But that was the price of making HM's, less of a nuisance. The world needed to change, imagine traveling in HG/SS, where you didn't need any HM's to reach any part of the game. I know, it would easy. So wih making HM's not as nessacary, also brought accessibilty. More people were allowed to hop in and enjoy, without fear of getting lost. I could point to you the entire map of Unova, if you gave me the chance. Conveyence was so awesome here; you knew, where you needed to go next. No more bs. And just to throw it in there, the scaling of the music in Victory Road, as you get through Badge Check in B/W, was stunning, easily my favorite part. Like I said, the small things that count. Oh and let's not forget Reusable TM's, which is gone unnoticed, and unappreciated that we don't stress over what to give who anymore.

I have so much more to say, but hot diggity-damn, I miss this Gen. So many good things to talk about, have nothing but good to say about it. Btw, if 3DS didn't demand 3D Pokemon models, we'd still have animated sprites. :D But this Gen was hands-down wonderful, wish XY could've been better, in terms of content and story(altough AZ was great)

Last edited:

Plasma Touko

Plasma Intern Touko
Years
Do you miss playing Black, White, Black 2 and White 2 or do you much prefer to leave these amazing (imo) games behind and put all your effort into playing the newest Pokémon generation?

I leapt right into X and Y, but am intending to go back to Gen 5 very soon.

Do you think Game Freak did good averting the typical "get all eight badges and become the Champion" storyline with BW by having N and Ghetsis instead of a Champion battle and do you hope for them to do more like that?

My mind was pretty much blown, and for me? I like both the aversion and playing it straight that I think they should do one in one version and one in the other from now on!

How do you feel about BW only having new Pokémon to utilize? Do you prefer that or would you rather have BW2 and XY's variety and why?

Do you like the concept of sequel games that they went with BW2 and wish to see that in future generations instead of a simple remake ala Emerald/Platinum?

Can we have sequels AND a third installation?

What else will you remember this generation for? Are there any features of BW(2) that you miss from XY and hope to see a return of in the future?

Gosh, I miss the PWT and wish they'd bring that back. Hidden grottoes were nice too. And the fact that (at least in the original Black and White) I had an enemy team that made me go..."gee...is this really right?". N looking rather nice was a bonus, however I'm not really one of those nutty fangirls of his.
Like other people on this thread, my first Pokemon games were those from generation VI. I knew about the story and characters in Black, White, and their sequels long before I even bought a 2DS, but I enjoyed the 5th generation games because I was finally able to play them out in person. I could discover why Black and White had a 40/40 rating in Japanese gaming magazines.

I like both BW and their sequels for different reasons. I actually like them almost equally. Even when BW2 were announced in 2012, when I barely understood the video games, I knew they would be different. I like how they were direct sequels and how they added onto their predecessors.

As for defeating N :) and Ghetsis rather than the champion before the credits, again, even when I knew nothing of the video games back in 2011, I knew that this was a significant change. When I began playing Black, I enjoyed it all the more because I knew that eventually, I would have to face N and Ghetsis.

When I went back and played Black after playing Pokemon X, I found that I missed almost all of the features of generation V. I missed the places, which were much easier to navigate. I missed the music, which seemed much more thoroughly made than the music in X. I even missed the sounds in the menus, for since I am blind, more sound is beneficial, and that there were sounds for when I deposited or withdrew Pokemon from the PC.

Most of all, I yearned for the depth and profoundness of story from generation V. I attribute my treatment of my Pokemon to the influence of Team Plasma, for when I played, I healed my Pokemon whenever one would faint, and I even refrained from catching many Pokemon during Black because I wanted to use all of them equally. I spent thousands of dollars on healing items so that even while I was forced to battle, my Pokemon did not necessarily have to suffer all of the supposed pain. I agreed with Team Plasma in a way that I almost never felt when fighting Team Flare. I looked forward to meeting them, especially N. N was the character who motivated me to try playing the games in the first place, actually. Due to this, I have grown to like N very deeply, along with the generation he represents.

One last note: I have heard people call other fans "genwinners", those who think generation I was best. I am proud to call myself a "Plasmagenner"! I support both truth and ideals, and I am proud to say that I am most likely the first blind person to have defeated Alder!

Reactions: Nah
Years
Like other people on this thread, my first Pokemon games were those from generation VI. I knew about the story and characters in Black, White, and their sequels long before I even bought a 2DS, but I enjoyed the 5th generation games because I was finally able to play them out in person. I could discover why Black and White had a 40/40 rating in Japanese gaming magazines.

I like both BW and their sequels for different reasons. I actually like them almost equally. Even when BW2 were announced in 2012, when I barely understood the video games, I knew they would be different. I like how they were direct sequels and how they added onto their predecessors.

As for defeating N :) and Ghetsis rather than the champion before the credits, again, even when I knew nothing of the video games back in 2011, I knew that this was a significant change. When I began playing Black, I enjoyed it all the more because I knew that eventually, I would have to face N and Ghetsis.

When I went back and played Black after playing Pokemon X, I found that I missed almost all of the features of generation V. I missed the places, which were much easier to navigate. I missed the music, which seemed much more thoroughly made than the music in X. I even missed the sounds in the menus, for since I am blind, more sound is beneficial, and that there were sounds for when I deposited or withdrew Pokemon from the PC.

Most of all, I yearned for the depth and profoundness of story from generation V. I attribute my treatment of my Pokemon to the influence of Team Plasma, for when I played, I healed my Pokemon whenever one would faint, and I even refrained from catching many Pokemon during Black because I wanted to use all of them equally. I spent thousands of dollars on healing items so that even while I was forced to battle, my Pokemon did not necessarily have to suffer all of the supposed pain. I agreed with Team Plasma in a way that I almost never felt when fighting Team Flare. I looked forward to meeting them, especially N. N was the character who motivated me to try playing the games in the first place, actually. Due to this, I have grown to like N very deeply, along with the generation he represents.

One last note: I have heard people call other fans "genwinners", those who think generation I was best. I am proud to call myself a "Plasmagenner"! I support both truth and ideals, and I am proud to say that I am most likely the first blind person to have defeated Alder!

Awwww :') I don't know if you'll catch this, being blind and all, but that was amazing to read. I would agree that with N and Ghetsis instead of a Champion, it makes for a good change of pace compared to the other games in the series. And yeah, Team Plasma was actually a villainous team I liked going after. As i've said, BW really tests your loyalty to the franchise! But I really love both these games, and am very happy to have played them.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I miss the actual storyline and the fact that the gym leaders had a better part in them. I miss the fact that it took 2 games to do the storyline.

I miss that there was no older pokemon in the wild. I liked having only new pokemon in the first BW games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I for one miss how easy Audino made everything. Yes, grinding is easy in later games too but Audino just gave it that one extra level of easy. Struggling to battle that gym leader? Let's run around, hear some cool music and get to the level you want in two mins max. :)

What about everyone else?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
^Audino is definitely something I miss in every game before and after Black and White (2). Life was just so much easier in 2011.

Another thing I miss is a second wild battle music for Pok?mon in shaking patches and such. I also miss these shaking patches having rarer Pok?mon in general. The rare wild theme is my favourite Pok?mon OST ever and I've always wondered what similar official remixes of these themes would sound like if made by GameFreak. It's a missed opportunity IMO.

Years
I miss the Audino grinding as well, and while it would mean stacking loads of HP EVs onto your team, the high EXP gain and common encounter rate of these Pokemon made training so much easier.

Oh Game Freak, why couldn't have you put something like this in S/M? You had to make grinding in that game nothing but hell.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You guys know what else I miss?? Castelia City. It was the right balance of big but not something you'd get lost in. Unfortunately in all games after that... you get lost easily. Castelia is really distinct in its street layouts (imo) so it's harder to get lost!

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
You guys know what else I miss?? Castelia City. It was the right balance of big but not something you'd get lost in. Unfortunately in all games after that... you get lost easily. Castelia is really distinct in its street layouts (IMO) so it's harder to get lost!

Fun Fact: when I first at Castelia City, I have no idea where's Burgh's Gym.I looking for 10 minutes and when I find it.Boy, I feel stupid.But still, Castelia is my favorite City since It more feels real City.

Also, I miss Character Development too.Character Development is one of the reasons I love Gen 5

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Fun Fact: when I first at Castelia City, I have no idea where's Burgh's Gym.I looking for 10 minutes and when I find it.Boy, I feel stupid.But still, Castelia is my favorite City since It more feels real City.
I kept missing Burgh's Gym, too, the first time I was there. It was absolute hell and I definitely spent there a few days more than I should've. {XD}

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I miss the goosebumps this generation gave me with the struggle of truth and ideal and the gym leaders coming together to save the protagonist so that they could continue on their quest to save the region.

To this date, its the only main series game to give me such goosebumps. (PMD will always give me goosebumps xD )

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
The story which manages to be more meaningful than most main series Pokemon games.

Seasons as well, the Pokemon world tournament, and the Pokemon distribution. You didn't run into a bunch of Kanto Pokemon every 5 seconds in BW and B2W2.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
A Generation that cares about it's story just enough to end an amazing arc.

Too bad Gen VI left so many things unanswered, but Gen V was a boss when it comes to concluding it's overarching story.

Years
I miss season changes. It was a nice addition that added another sense of realism in the games. I wish they'd bring it back for future games.

I agree. Seasons was probably the most realistic feature added to a Pokemon game and I was annoyed it didn't carry over to the 3DS era.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I totally agree. Day/night was the first major change (which was revolutionary tbh) and now having seasons actually acknowledges that hey calendars exist in this game and it wouldn't be a bad thing to reflect that. Too bad it was just a gimmick though and not a fully fledged staple.

Back