• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the rarest card

milovan93

xxMVPxx
Years
  • could someone give me a straight answer as to what is the rarest and most valuable card. Link an image if possible i really want to know.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    As far as I know the rarest card in existence is Prerelease Raichu.

To my knowledge there are only 4 currently in existence, and most people deny they even exist.

I cant ever deny those were ever made now, but I would really question if WOTC or PUI would authenticate em as being real. Kinda like money and coins being legal tender and all. But I mean has any of us seen a pre-release raichu?

The ones in the Japanese Catalogue (back in 1999 I believe...)
    The trophy Pikachu Gold, Silver, Bronze (3 copies in the world)
    The Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno of Phone card size (3 copies in the world)
    The illustrated Pikachu (the one Pikachu holding a pen drawing, 2 copies in world or something?)
    The Mew with a logo on the right (Mever seen anywhere! even ebay)
    The executator special ones (Never seen anywhere! even ebay)
    The snap prize card (veries cards only 1 copy in the world)
    The university Magikarp (? Copies)
    The Tropical wind (2 Japanese versions, ? copies in the world)
    Victory Ring
    Victory Energy

Tropical Wind is kinda more common though, I think a good 10 of em exist worldwide could be slightly less. the Illustrator card (had a rare chance to own one few years back) I think has about a good 100 copies world wide, the story behind illustrator Pikachu ties in with the Vending Sheets they had, I believe most of the vending cards if not all were all part of a contest, artist would draw the pokemon and the winners would recieve the illustrator card and have their picture put on a pokemon cards, yet the illustrator may seem to be the rarest one out of all thats listed, but it aint. I think though the Gold Pikachu Trophy might actually be the rarest, but theirs disputes about it on all of it though.

But going back I got this card some time ago, it appears to be a Vending Series Mewtwo but different, Japanese now of course, with symbols on its body and all and wirting at the bottom of the card, its actually the same picture and all but totally different from the vending series card itself, anyone got any info on this? I havent really seen many of those in existence either, not even on ebay.

I have put the cards I was talking about in following link:

www.smason108.co.uk

Cyndaquil

'lo.
    Years
  • Just wondering, how does the "Victory energy" look like? And by the way, your link up there is broken.. ;)

/Cyndaquil

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    you're right it is broken....
    oh, you mean that energy card, wait, ill give you a link again(there is a chance that the following words will appear:"404 error"
    "file not found")

j.a

awesomenesses!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2008
    i think i had a victory energy before i think my mom gave it to me when i as little. It was a ball with all the colors in it and i had one exactly the same but worth two energy.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2008
    Youtube it. Most of the rare cards are in Japanese text, and I think there is one card you get by buying a car.

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    OH MY EFFIN GAWD 0.0 I had a victory ring and an energy ring in my deck 0.0 When i was around 7 my dad brough for me and my brother each a deck (we didnt had playmates so i had to look it up on the internet and i made it with 2 white papers, a pen and a LOT of patience) i can't remember well which was my deck but i remember having starmy and staryu and squirtle and i think warturtle also but i swear i had no blastoise D: i think my bro's was electric deck... Well, aside of that, it was from the first gen design cards and im PRETTY SURE i had Energy Ring and Victory Ring 0.0 and i dont think i have those cards anymore D: It was a LONG time ago even though i think i still have a card or two laying around i dont think its neither of those to prove it D: Even tough i hope you belive me :D

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    LOYALemerald, your links are still broken for me. Could you upload them to some image host such as [a]www.rapidfiles.net[/a] or [a]www.imageshack.us[/a]? That way, I'm pretty sure the URL:s will be correct.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help :)
    /Cyndaquil

glad to help^_^"!(sORRy for the link though:nervous:)

JJK

The chase is about to begin...
    Years
  • well i dont play the tgc for 5 years but accounting that 10 years have past since base set was launched i think that base set 1st edition charizard has had to become much rarer (officially, it was worth 200€ at the time, so imagine now...

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Actually,the old 1st editions are very rare...
    They cost, i think.. 23,000 dollars!!(ive seen it at ebay)they increased prices..
    WOW! Who spend $23,000? on which? The most expensive spending I've seen on 1 card is US$1000 only!

Back in 2000 the three pikachu trophy cards went for about 22,100 on ebay. The cyber stein is a yugioh shoenen jump championship card. It at first did go for about 23,000+ but the person who won it backed out. When it was relisted I think only went for a couple of thousand not sure though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    LOYALemerald has already stated the rarest cards, it seems; so assuming you're going to want to actually own a few rare cards, I'm going to say the Mew promo card, since it could only be acquired as a single card from various newsagents. Sold for £2 at the time of release but of course that was only around the time of the first movie, which was about nine years ago. Unless people have been better than me at keeping these than I have, it's likely very hard to get.

Last edited:

Beginnings

thx tom-san for banner/avvy
    Years
  • Well, I believe it'd be one of the original 151.
    Btw. I have the 1st base 151 + Ancient Mew :P
    I think the hardest to get out of that set was Charizard or Blastoise
    So it's probably one of them

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2008
    Technically, the rarest card in existance, at least in Japan, is Umbreon "star", which was eventually released in POP Series 7 over here. They were only ever printed whenever they were needed, which was VERY rarely. As such, the English ones often go for more than $50, but the Japanese ones...I remember one going for $860 and one for just over $700. Nuff said.

Although the no-HP Dark Persian card is also exceedingly rare.

Back