• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What phrase or saying are you tired of hearing/seeing?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Another one coming to mind is "violence is never the answer". That idea is exactly what oppressors want you to think, that the one thing that could stop them is in fact wrong and evil and has never created positive change in the world, when in reality they want to have a monopoly on it. The poor and homeless, Black and Asian and Latino and indigenous people, LGBTQ people, Jews and Muslims, and so on--we've all been subjected to violence for centuries, even millennia, and we're really supposed to believe that absolute fucking monsters are capable of understanding any other language?
    The other tired old saying is that "the pen is mightier than the sword", but why limit your options like that, why not keep both around and know when to use each option? Especially in today's world where it should be clear that the pen is impotent, and the sword a necessity.

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Whenever people use the word "sick" to describe something positive. No, being unwell is NOT positive. I'm emetophobic and that low-key sets me off every time I see it. Even just typing it out for the purpose of illustration makes me uncomfortable.

People misusing "no offense" to say something that they know will be offensive is quite annoying as well. It's a social get-out-of-jail-free card that lets you say whatever you really want with no repercussions and it's just...extremely rude, honestly. If you want to be offensive, then be offensive. I will respect you far more for speaking your mind directly than making excuses for it and then just saying it anyway. Have the courage to own your opinion and deal with the consequences of speaking it maturely, or just...be quiet.

Years
  • When people ask for a thing and say "and go" at the end of it. For example "Places that sell good burgers and fries and go". I see that SO often on Facebook pages and groups that it's a bit annoying.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I hate "skill issue". It's fine between friends but people use it all over the place and it just comes across as mean most of the time, especially outside the context of friends. And I too often, on Reddit anyway, see people using it straight up as a mean thing to say to someone struggling so that's soured me on it and made me wary of strangers saying it, because maybe they actually are trying to be mean!
    Yes! I actually left a discord server because someone said that to me. I was asking a question about a bug I was having in this one game, but everyone thought I was faking it or just bad at the game. The final straw was someone telling me "skill issue". Like I had a genuine question and no one was willing to help. Everyone was just so rude about it. I don't mind saying to myself in a joking manner, but I would never tell it to someone else.

Anyway, I really hate seeing POV now. It's lost all meaning at this point. Most of the time when I see it, it isn't used correctly. It's people just tacking on "POV" to whatever skit they're doing, even if it isn't recorded with the viewer as part of the story. I especially hate when the "POVs" are formulated like this: "POV: you don't like the skirt industry so you started your own small business making skirts" (this is just an example I made up. I'm not hating on any small business owners) Couldn't you just say "I don't like the skirt industry so I started by own small business making skirts"? Why jump through all these hoops instead of directly saying what you mean?

Some other words that bother me are all the "replacement" words people use online to avoid demonetization or the bad word filters. Things like "unalived" instead of "killed". It dilutes the severity of these heavy topics. "Unalived" doesn't carry the same weight as "killed". (Online gets a pass I guess, but I sure HOPE no one is saying "unalived" irl.) Similarly, spelling out words with a bunch of random characters like "le$b!an" instead of "lesbian" or "@us!st!c" instead of "autistic". It's kind of a pain to read? And people are doing this for the most random of words. Are these bad word filters really that picky? How many "bad words" are there?? (A lot of these words, from what I've noticed, are LGBTQ- or neurodivergent-related... interesting.) It's just frustrating how our online language is changing just to accommodate such ridiculous rules (which some people get away with breaking anyway).

Years
  • Yes! I actually left a discord server because someone said that to me. I was asking a question about a bug I was having in this one game, but everyone thought I was faking it or just bad at the game. The final straw was someone telling me "skill issue". Like I had a genuine question and no one was willing to help. Everyone was just so rude about it. I don't mind saying to myself in a joking manner, but I would never tell it to someone else.

Anyway, I really hate seeing POV now. It's lost all meaning at this point. Most of the time when I see it, it isn't used correctly. It's people just tacking on "POV" to whatever skit they're doing, even if it isn't recorded with the viewer as part of the story. I especially hate when the "POVs" are formulated like this: "POV: you don't like the skirt industry so you started your own small business making skirts" (this is just an example I made up. I'm not hating on any small business owners) Couldn't you just say "I don't like the skirt industry so I started by own small business making skirts"? Why jump through all these hoops instead of directly saying what you mean?

Some other words that bother me are all the "replacement" words people use online to avoid demonetization or the bad word filters. Things like "unalived" instead of "killed". It dilutes the severity of these heavy topics. "Unalived" doesn't carry the same weight as "killed". (Online gets a pass I guess, but I sure HOPE no one is saying "unalived" irl.) Similarly, spelling out words with a bunch of random characters like "le$b!an" instead of "lesbian" or "@us!st!c" instead of "autistic". It's kind of a pain to read? And people are doing this for the most random of words. Are these bad word filters really that picky? How many "bad words" are there?? (A lot of these words, from what I've noticed, are LGBTQ- or neurodivergent-related... interesting.) It's just frustrating how our online language is changing just to accommodate such ridiculous rules (which some people get away with breaking anyway).
    I have left quite a few Discord servers and communities over people instigating me and trying to rile me up. I admit sometimes I fell for the bait, and after the 1st time or two I just learned to leave the server before I get too upset or angry. It was the dumb "anime profile pic" comment, and then another time I don't quite remember but it was stupid. Anyway, yeah skill issue totally bugs me too. It comes off ableist to me.

Years
  • I hate the generational fights. If I hear "Boomer" "Millennial" etc one more time, I will scream. Mind you I'm incapable of screaming, all that comes out is a weird yell, but I will try.

ANYWAY. I think we should all work hard together to make the world a better place.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I have another one. I watch a lot of cat videos online and every time I open the comments, there are always the obligatory "calling the cat a car" comments. I'm so sick of it at this point. Get a new joke. Calling it a car wasn't really that funny in the first place.

In a similar light is people using "bro" as a pronoun like "bro just failed his test" or something like that. I'm sick of that one too. Just stop

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I was like "man, not a lot annoy me" but then I remembered the word "eepy". Can't you just say sleepy instead because "eepy" can also mean creepy, at least imho. Also, I dislike how it sounds.

I have never heard that term before in my life and yet I somehow still hate it lol.

Years
  • I'm sick to death of hearing Woke, Wokeism, Wokery, Wokeness, Wokerati, or any other twisting of woke or similar words, especially in news headlines. Usually followed by words such as "madness" "lunatics" "ideology" or "mob".

It nearly always signifies a rant from an over-empowered bigot about something or someone they find "icky" that they want to dehumanise, demonise, bully or belittle.

Just go away and let people live in peace. If caring about people, not their race, their gender, their sexuality or religion makes me into a woke lunatic then so be it. I'd rather be that than a bully like you.

Last edited:
    Back