• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the worst you've ever heard a Pokemon name mis-pronounced?

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
  • And until literally just barely, I thought Phione was pronounced "fie-own", instead of its correct pronunciation, which is "fee-oh-nay".

Oh? I did it too!

I do say Ray-kwa-za too ...

And I know Pidgey is Pid-jeebut I still say Pid-Jay

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • The Hoenn Pokerap pronouncing Kyogre as Kee-Oh-Gree when it's actually Ky-Oh-Guh and pronouncing Beldum as Bed-Lum.

Even though it's not a Pokemon name, Chuggaaconroy mispronounced Canalave City as Can-a-Lar-Vay in his Platinum LP until people corrected him.

I used to think Entei was pronounced like hentai until I watched the third movie and I thought Suicune was pronounced Soo-Is-Oon until I watched the fourth movie. Lucahjin mispronounced it as Soo-Seen in her Heart Gold LP until people corrected her. She now jokingly calls the legendary beasts Geico, Hentai and Sweetcorn.

Until I heard its name in the anime, I somehow misread Metagross as Metacross and got its name mixed up with Heracross.

I didn't realise Eelektrik had two e's in its name at first and thought it was pronounced the same as electric.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • I have a kid in my neighbourhood, who loves pokemon a lot. He pronounces Entei as Aunty. I have told him a thousand times till now not to say so but (i dont know why) he keeps on pronouncing the same thing.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2016
    I've had Rattata be pronounced as ratatatatata. I was like wow dude you even look at the name before you started bumbling through it?

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Arceus which is supposed to be Ar-say-oos (think like Zeus or deus).

Kanto = It's named after Kanto, Japan. Khan-toh, like the khan in Kangaskhan. Can-toe is wrong. The dub pronounciations aren't always correct.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • Wow I'm actually learning so much from this thread. A bunch of pronunciations I thought I had down I was no where close XD Also, I remembered one I still have trouble with. Reuniclus. I think it stemmed from me being too lazy to actually sound out the letters (I know, sad life). I usually pronounce it "re-unucleus" anyway, even though I know it's wrong.

Oh, and i also cannot Pronounce Dragalge.
    Is it a "Dra-Galje", or "Drag-Alje", or "Dra-Galge", or maybe "Dra-Galgey"
    Someone please help Me :|

I could be wrong but I believe it would be "DRAYG-ALJ", as in "dragon" and "algae" combined. That's what it is, isn't it? Like, seaweed-dragon Pokemon? Whatever lol.

Back