• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do Most People Hate Ash?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Pokémon don't need to evolve to win battles against evolved Pokémon.
    Not only that the anime takes on a more "realistic" battle so evolved doesn't automatically mean better, but even in the games, some lower evolutions do things that the upper evolutions can't. Pikachu has exclusive access to Light Orb. Magmar and Magmortar are both faster than their 4th gen evolutions. There's a few others that I'm missing out on, but training is the most important aspect of Pokemon. If a trainer has a Charizard but doesn't know what a Charizard can and can't do, what it's best at and what it sucks at, and so on, then that Charizard will lose battles even to unevolved Pokemon.

Years
    Ash...I don't like...he's a 'god tier' character. Anyone who ever watched Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny could easily see the extreme similarities between Ash and Super excellent Ultra Coorindator Kira Yamato.

Let's looks at Ash, he starts off on the losing end of a few battles starting out due to inexpierence. He starts to get better and then becomes a bit arrogant of his abilites. Halfway through the first series, he matures and becomes a super trainer that can barely be touched, let alone beaten. Sure, he'll do bad for a bit, but he'll overcome the battle through sheer plot device manipulation and deus ex conditions(read as 'Pokemon evolving at seemingly convienant times.) He also intervines in a battle between two super powers(the mews) and is revealed to be the Chosen One, among other legendary titles, who is destined to bring balence to the legendary birds with the help of Lugia.

Now, lets look at Kira. He starts off rather lucky in his Strike Gundam, usually surviving slightly by luck. He gets better, then his Gundam gets destroyed. Next couple of episodes later he gets the Freedom and is only matched in abilities by four other pilots, one of which is his ally. In the first series, he's revealed to be the Ultimate Coordinator, a perfect emboydement of every favorable aspect in the human genome. Halfway through the second series, he gets upgraded to the Strike Freedom Gundam, and went through the rest of the show without being hit once.

...anyone else notice a similarity? :P

Trainer Matt

PokéFriend!
    Years
    I'm surprised at the amount of "How does he win if they don't evolve?" questions. When I first played Pokémon Blue I kept Charmander as Charmander until he was almost level 80. Surprise, surprise: Charmander still won most battles. I still adopt the philosophy of play with your favourites, not what you think is the strongest.

Oh, and I like Ash. ;)

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    ash is better than the arrogant ass **** paul
    at least ash treats his pokemon like a family& like mindless (basically paul represents 99% of competitive battlers)
    im glad sum of his pokemon dont evolve
    but others like cyndaquil needs to evolve (just cuz i love quilava) which finally it did :D

so all those ash haters simply cuz hes the main character need to stow it :P

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
    People hate ash cuz
    A he has a lv.179 billion pikachu that still gets defeated
    B. He is gay with Brock
    C. He never ages
    D. How many legends has he come across? And he hasn't caught any of them WTF
    E. Every region he goes across, he gets rid of all but PIKACHU, really, PIKACHU
    F. He's had a thunderstone forever, and even when his damn pikachu was sick, he STILL wouldn't use it, therefore he gets another FAIL
    G. I rest my case

Last edited:
    Years
    People hate ash cuz
    G. I rest my case

People hate Ash cuz you rest your case? XD

Come on now, I don't like Ash's character either, but at least I put some thought behind my reasoning.

BTW, I'm pretty sure pickachu tail slapped the thunderstone out of his hand....which means he should've evovled by coming into contact with it anyway.

But could you imagine what kind of hellish prick Raichu would be?

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
    People hate Ash cuz you rest your case? XD

Come on now, I don't like Ash's character either, but at least I put some thought behind my reasoning.

BTW, I'm pretty sure pickachu tail slapped the thunderstone out of his hand....which means he should've evovled by coming into contact with it anyway.

But could you imagine what kind of hellish prick Raichu would be?

Read the stuff above that

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    ♥Zoey♥ said:
    Ash... I don't like him much... I mostly hate him! Aka Ash is know as the Pokemon "pedophile" I'm Anti-Ash all the way.

How can he be a pedophile when he's 10?

ORegan said:
    Ash...I don't like...he's a 'god tier' character. Anyone who ever watched Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny could easily see the extreme similarities between Ash and Super excellent Ultra Coorindator Kira Yamato.

Let's looks at Ash, he starts off on the losing end of a few battles starting out due to inexpierence. He starts to get better and then becomes a bit arrogant of his abilites. Halfway through the first series, he matures and becomes a super trainer that can barely be touched, let alone beaten. Sure, he'll do bad for a bit, but he'll overcome the battle through sheer plot device manipulation and deus ex conditions(read as 'Pokemon evolving at seemingly convienant times.) He also intervines in a battle between two super powers(the mews) and is revealed to be the Chosen One, among other legendary titles, who is destined to bring balence to the legendary birds with the help of Lugia.

Now, lets look at Kira. He starts off rather lucky in his Strike Gundam, usually surviving slightly by luck. He gets better, then his Gundam gets destroyed. Next couple of episodes later he gets the Freedom and is only matched in abilities by four other pilots, one of which is his ally. In the first series, he's revealed to be the Ultimate Coordinator, a perfect emboydement of every favorable aspect in the human genome. Halfway through the second series, he gets upgraded to the Strike Freedom Gundam, and went through the rest of the show without being hit once.

...anyone else notice a similarity?

You just described a stereotypical shonen hero.

redsaber5859 said:
    People hate ash cuz

Complaint doesn't make sense. There are no levels in the animé. It's also been shown that experience isn't always the deciding factor for battles.

B. He is gay with Brock

Don't use "Gay" as an insult.

C. He never age"s

Which is a poor reason to hate any character.

Legendary Pokémon have been shown to have a connection to nature in the Pokémon world to the point where capturing them would be disastrous to the world.

E. Every region he goes across, he gets rid of all but PIKACHU, really, PIKACHU

It's his starter Pokémon so he clearly has a connection with it.

F. He's had a thunderstone forever, and even when his damn pikachu was sick, he STILL wouldn't use it, therefore he gets another FAIL

Pikachu didn't want to evolve so Ash didn't force it to.

G. I rest my case

. . . .

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Its probably he changed so much through out the seasons. I used to like him but now, he just getting kind of annoying.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    People hate ash cuz

But according to like 6 other Internet Fans, he never loses.

I like this complaint. Half the people are all like "he LOSES against newbies? lol" and the other half are "he never loses."

Someone isn't watching the same show as I am.

C. He never ages

Cartoons are not the real world. If you wanted something similar to real-life, go outside.

Have you even watched the anime? Legendary Pokemon generally aren't supposed to be captured.

So because he doesn't force his Pokemon to go against their will, he's "fail"?

Most people are tired of seeing the same character over and over again. Just do a damn series reboot, writers.

Vote with your wallet and stop watching.

This^ When they got to Hoenn, he and the show just started to annoy me... ESPECIALLY when they got rid of Misty... Worst. Move. EVAR.

Some people still aren't over it. It's been what, over half a decade and people are still complaining?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Ash has no character. He's a blank slate that spouts the same kid-friendly crap each and every episode. If there were a couple of writers working for the show maybe something could be done, but there's really nothing they could do at this point to repair the damage.

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    Ash annoys me because he never changes his ways throughout the series. You'd think he'd have mastered a lot of battle strategies on his travels, but he still goes on the offensive, often without any sort of battle strategy, oblivious to any abilities his opponents have, and that more often than not costs him a battle. He also spews out the same kid-friendly crap about the importance of friendship episode after episode after episode. I do admire his determination and willingness to keep trying, since he usually does end up succeeding. However, he seems like the type of kid who would get shoved into lockers in high school, since he rarely shows any signs of resistance or pure aggression. Those little angry glares and growls he throws out just show that he easily gets offended, and that he shows no signs of actual resistance.

This is exactly why he has declined in character popularity polls. He never changes throughout the entire series. I still can't believe I admired Ash as a kid. In fact, I look up to Paul a lot more than I do to Ash. I do hate that Paul treats his Pokémon as tools of battle rather than lifelong companions, but Paul's battling strategies are actually quite interesting. In his most recent battle with Ash, he won because he had fully analyzed Ash's battling strategy and had found his weaknesses. At the end of that battle, Paul actually smiled. Although I'm not sure if it was because of his victory or because he actually might've warmed up a bit to Ash, you can definately infer that Paul might be changing his ways.

My point is, Ash hasn't changed at all, even after all this time, and that he is the worst battler I've ever laid eyes on. All of his victories, at least in my opinion, were credited to pure luck or last minute brainblasts. He is still the reckless, hyperactive, annoying, whiny, insert swear word here kid we all know and hate. Paul deserved every single one of his victories. Although Paul is reckless, his battling skills are remarkable.

All of this is purely my own opinion, but I feel like I captured some valid points.

Years
    Read the stuff above that

Oh I did, but I'm pointing out to you that you can't use "I rest my case" as a point to why you dislike a character. :P

You just described a stereotypical shonen hero.

That was basically the point. His character has been done so many times that he makes me want to kick his teeth in to see some emotion out of him that isn't about the power of friendship.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    ORegan said:
    That was basically the point. His character has been done so many times that he makes me want to kick his teeth in to see some emotion out of him that isn't about the power of friendship.

I thought you were getting at something original when you were comparing the two honestly.

randomspot555 said:
    But according to like 6 other Internet Fans, he never loses.

I like this complaint. Half the people are all like "he LOSES against newbies? lol" and the other half are "he never loses."

Someone isn't watching the same show as I am.

I really do wish the complainers would choose one or the other.

I also appreciate the fact that XxRogueTrainerxX was able to explain his reasons so well. I can only hope future complainers can do the same.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    -People like to hate things.

-He's been around for ages

-The lack of contiunty in his development makes him annoying (i.e. lack of ageing and making the same mistakes repeadtely)

Personally though I don't mind him. Whilst I would like to see more of the last point, I think having a few stable charachers throughout the entire series allows for the writers to try and play around with more of the features of the show to keep it fresh.

Back