• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Because they touch they're selves at night.

Lol. I think it has something to do with the change from G/S/C to R/S/E.
    During that switch i lost most interest in pokemon games.
    But leaf green brought me to like it again.

Who doesn't touch themselves at night! D=

But yeah, sometimes, the "they changed it, now it sucks" clause kicks in.

yummoon

Looking For A Legit RedJirachi
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    People really bullied people for playing pokemon thats really messed up O_o

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    well, I have a buttload of friends who play pokemon, and people who are older than me that play pokemon. Another thing, some of the people who hate it hate it because they have no patience or strategy to play the kicka** game that is pokemon. One last point, how is it childish ( a frequent comment i here about it) it's not the pokespe manga says things i cant say on pokecommunity, (d- word) (s-word) and screw you.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Bahhh, I'm probably older than a lot of you here (even you adults) and I got into Pokemon in my early to mid teens and I only just NOW started playing the game (Soul Silver).

It's really a mentality, I think, and personality-related.

Some people hate Pokemon (or anything else that is longstanding and has a strong fanbase) simply BECAUSE it is popular. For myself, I tend to dislike cliched stories.

Some people also hate Pokemon because the episodes get repetitive. Let's face it, the Pokemon TV series is really predictable. Some people are okay with it or like it and some people don't. If people are more serious, they probably roll their eyes at the stupid jokes.

Some people hate Pokemon because they think 'it's too childish'. Yes, the series is aimed at children and the themes are very basic, but they still deal with topics that everyone has to deal with - child or adult - and they deal with them in generally tasteful and not overly complicated ways. Pokemon has a simplicity to it that more 'adult' games don't have and it is reflective, I think, of the 'innocence' found in children.

In relation to that, some people think they're 'too mature' to be playing Pokemon. Also, some gamers think they're 'too hardcore' for 'childish' games like Pokemon.

Though in all reality, in comparing a gamer who loves Pokemon and collects Pokemon to a gamer who calls himself/herself a hardcore gamer and who does nothing but run through deathmatches on Unreal Tournament... is the one playing Unreal Tournament really that much more 'mature'?

In my opinion, it makes me grin to see adults having fun with the Pokemon games because it shows me that maybe, they have/kept some of that childlike simplicity/fun/innocence in their lives.

I'll share a brief story to illustrate what I'm trying to explain:

When I went in to the store to pick up my copy of Soul Silver on the first day of release, I was standing in line in front of a bunch of guys who were all 18 and over (I recognized them as being former classmates of my sibling who has since graduated high school for a few years now).

When the cashier asked me what I was there to pick up and I said, "Pokemon Soul Silver!" one of the guys cheered and another one of them yelled out, "Pokemon Heart Gold!"

Everyone was picking up Pokemon!

... And two of group of guys were picking up Bioshock while at it.

Talk about an interesting combination, eh? :)

But it's a true story which just shows that anyone of any age can and could enjoy Pokemon - both as a story and as a game.

For myself as an adult, Pokemon is both a fun game and a challenging game if you get involved in IV breeding and EV training. As a bonus (for me anyways), it's also like a longstanding Tomogatchi in the sense that your Pokemon can love/hate you and you have a 'relationship' with your Pokemon where you 'care' for them and they 'care' for you back.

Years
  • People who hate Pokemon are either people who are bitter they never got a Gameboy for Christmas of '98 or they're just sheep who stopped liking it as soon as the fad was over and their friends stopped playing.

Years
  • I don't get bullied, but I sometimes, when wearing my Pokemon shirt--Ash throwing a Pokeball--I will tend to get some shakes of the head or "Oh, Pokemon. How stupid." But I'm not bullied directly, nor do I get many comments like that. Some tall dude with a real deep voice that's a grade or two higher than me came up to me while I was playing my pokewalker, looked down and went. "OMG. What pokemon do you have on there?! Did you go to Yellow Forest yet?" (best upperclassmen ever)

Two of my friends will sit at lunch and play HGSS together. three pokemon-obsessed people playing a DS all lunch period. I'm real glad we have our priorities straight.

Years
  • almost everyone at my school likes pokemon :D all my friends do and the other day i heard a group of football players talking about pokemon heart gold and soul silver. haha i was laughing in my mind because some of the things they said were so stupid. xP

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2010
    With everyone else, its because its associated with children and its considered "babyish"

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Some people think the game is for children.

this right here
    same goes for Yugioh
    this explains it all, americans look down upon others due to this, and who causes this?
    4Kids, enough said.
    but ill add more just for those who dont know ;)
    4kids alters any "adult" or basically anything over the age of 12 references, exc. and tries to make it for those around the ages of 7-10
    (why you think they lost the rights to air One Piece, funimation went off on them lol)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    As I remember only the Freshmen at my highschool were afraid to jnviel their love for Pokèmon... Everyone else talked about it openly sometimes but most only remembered maybe the first two generations...

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, I wonder why people hate Pokemon? Pokemon is ageless, who knows, maybe the series are still going on when you are like 30. Give the games to your children, relatives that like it, whatever. Saves the time of buying it =D
    I'm lucky some of my friends still play it.. Don't get bullied =D

123BOOM

Lilith|Samael|Lucifer
    Years
  • in 5th grade my friend iked pokemon. Kids called him gay to his face. He got in trouble for fighting them and they didn't get in any trouble. Some kids made comics about him. Bad comics. Like, so bad my friend found one of them that wasn't one of the normal ones and he was at his house crying for an entire week. I used to get bs from ppl. That is why I carry my pocket knife to school everyday. Sadly, I have never gotten the chance to use it, nor do I plan to.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2010
    in 5th grade my friend iked pokemon. Kids called him gay to his face. He got in trouble for fighting them and they didn't get in any trouble. Some kids made comics about him. Bad comics. Like, so bad my friend found one of them that wasn't one of the normal ones and he was at his house crying for an entire week. I used to get bs from ppl. That is why I carry my pocket knife to school everyday. Sadly, I have never gotten the chance to use it, nor do I plan to.

Haters gonna hate. Just walk away and ignore them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I blame the "kiddie" image of Pokemon on the anime, Ash, and Pikachu. Seriously, if Mewtwo was the mascot instead of some (supposedly) cute little yellow mammal, maybe it would be taken more seriously.

Kenpari

¯\(°_o)/¯ I DUNNO LOL
    Years
  • I honestly don't get messed with for liking Pokemon often. I make it obvious enough that I like Pokemon, but it isn't really put out there like on a big sign or anything, so I guess some people just pay it no notice. I do often hear people saying something like, "Pokemon is gay" or "Pokemon is for little kids" or something like that, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back