• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
How can gamers be dead if there's so many good games coming out?
How can gamers be dead when we're all still here? Or are we all ghosts or something?

Hopefully no one minds but could someone explain to me what this Gamergate thing is and why it's a big deal? I've heard of it yes, some shit about some woman banging a reviewer to get a higher review score on her game and some vague shit about ethics in gaming journalism is all I know.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Hopefully no one minds but could someone explain to me what this Gamergate thing is and why it's a big deal? I've heard of it yes, some shit about some woman banging a reviewer to get a higher review score on her game and some vague shit about ethics in gaming journalism is all I know.
If you managed to be in the dark about it for this long then you should just keep it that way. It's not worth it.
It wasn't really my intention to bring them up.

Not that it matters. Gamer Gate isn't exactly relevant anymore. They're a very mid-2014 issue and...that's it. They weren't even relevant by the later part of last year.
That wasn't really directed at you. Unfortunately though, they're still very much relevant, but that's a whole other subject.

Sir Codin

Long story short, GG claims to be fighting for more accountability and integrity within video game journalism and for journalist sites to not have special interests or political ideologies color their articles.

Anti-GG believes the entire GG movement is about harassment of women in the video games industry and keeping games "sexist."

Both sides accuse the other of all sorts of shady shit, though GG believes that a third party is stirring shit up behind the scenes (their biggest suspected source of the worst trolls in the conflict is Something Awful). It's a big fucking mess, really. My opinion? It wouldn't have blown up the way it did if it wasn't for numerous journal sites posting "Gamers Are Dead" articles all in the same goddamn day. Which is why I think all the sites that posted those articles are shit.

Reactions: Nah

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Long story short, GG claims to be fighting for more accountability and integrity within video game journalism and for journalist sites to not have special interests or political ideologies color their articles.

Anti-GG believes the entire GG movement is about harassment of women in the video games industry and keeping games "sexist."

Both sides accuse the other of all sorts of shady shit, though GG believes that a third party is stirring shit up behind the scenes (their biggest suspected source of the worst trolls in the conflict is Something Awful). It's a big fucking mess, really. My opinion? It wouldn't have blown up the way it did if it wasn't for numerous journal sites posting "Gamers Are Dead" articles all in the same goddamn day. Which is why I think all the sites that posted those articles are shit.

When I imagine GamerGate, I see a big giant gate flooding with bullshit and ugly people sex and Anita Sarkeesian

Besides accountability with the press, I honestly didn't give a single fuck. Who cares o.o

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Daigonite was right, perhaps we aren't mature enough to fully discuss Gamergate in the first place, nor would it warrant a thread of its own here. Mind if we suggest to go back to a previous game topic or a new one altogether?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Daigonite was right, perhaps we aren't mature enough to fully discuss Gamergate in the first place, nor would it warrant a thread of its own here. Mind if we suggest to go back to a previous game topic or a new one altogether?
Oh, I didn't really want a discussion about it anyway. CharChar's post was all I needed.

Uh, new topic.....

k I got nothing

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I saw a tweet today about how YT Gamers killed traditional gaming journalism. lol, it's not that, it's evolution! We are in the age of the internet for crying out loud! If anything those traditional media are killing themselves.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I saw a tweet today about how YT Gamers killed traditional gaming journalism. lol, it's not that, it's evolution! We are in the age of the internet for crying out loud! If anything those traditional media are killing themselves.
I remember South Park tackling on this issue, with PewDiePie as a special guest, and they really handled it well.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
MunchingOrange was and still is my favourite LPer ever. Back in 2009 I watched his playthrough of Pokémon Brown which got me into both popular YouTube and ROM hacking all those years ago. And he's still going strong, I still love his let's plays even now. :D

Sir Codin

I remember South Park tackling on this issue, with PewDiePie as a special guest, and they really handled it well.
Surprisingly I watched every episode of the latest season except that one.

Don't know why. Probably laziness.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I'm not watching LPs at all but I agree with you.
In this age, YT is absolutely essential to modern gaming.

Bay

Years
I'm kinda scared to watch the episode because I know South Park and I watch a TON of Let's Play videos, lol

I managed to watch that particular episode (it's a two part episode actually), and I also thought concerning PewDiePie the show handled him well even though I never watched a LP of his. The show more or less showed LPs in a positive light (and Cartman being himself :P ). I tend to watch a lot of LPs myself, haha.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
There's a lot of speculation going on right now that Borderlands 3 will be unveiled by Gearbox at PAX South this year: please, please, please don't disappoint me, Gearbox. If it is true though, it would make sense considering the release of Borderlands: The Handsome Jack Edition would build up hype for the threequel.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't consider the overacting attention seekers on YouTube and twitch as journalists by any stretch of the definition.

They're just media personalities (and I find the majority of their personalities annoying and unwatchable).

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I don't consider the overacting attention seekers on YouTube and twitch as journalists by any stretch of the definition.

They're just media personalities (and I find the majority of their personalities annoying and unwatchable).
At least the Youtubers are more honest and experienced in the gaming than the professional journalists, or else all the backlash towards hyped games wouldn't be as loud and common on the internet than it is now.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
There are a lot of YouTubers who accept paid offers from publishers though. It's no bastion of honesty and integrity.
And of course you think YouTubers are annoying attention-seekers, Triffy. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back