• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
And of course you think YouTubers are annoying attention-seekers, Triffy. :P
lol I know. Although, a friend of mine has expressed interest in having me start up a show with her. If that happens one day, I'll have to eat my words I suppose.

Then they'll all be attention-seekers, but me. Obviously. :P

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There are a lot of YouTubers who accept paid offers from publishers though. It's no bastion of honesty and integrity.
Most of the youtubers I've watched do rant videos and game reviews during the late 2000's, and they make more honest opinions than the professionals. An example is a youtuber named RandomDCE, whose negative review on SSBB, based on hype alone, split the Smash fanbase on whether or not his complaints on the single-player modes and the roster are justified. He and his other youtube friends weren't paid by companies to review their games.

Sir Codin

Most of the youtubers I've watched do rant videos and game reviews during the late 2000's, and they make more honest opinions than the professionals. An example is a youtuber named RandomDCE, whose negative review on SSBB, based on hype alone, split the Smash fanbase on whether or not his complaints on the single-player modes and the roster are justified. He and his other youtube friends weren't paid by companies to review their games.
Oh, god, RandomDCE. I remember 2008. That guy was such a hipster ****, not to mention being even worse than Yahtzee.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
I don't consider the overacting attention seekers on YouTube and twitch as journalists by any stretch of the definition.

They're just media personalities (and I find the majority of their personalities annoying and unwatchable).

^ Have to agree with this.

I dunno if I'm getting old or if watching too much retsupurae "spoiled me" in terms of LPs and reviews and whatever else gaming-related on youtube/twitch..

But seriously, most of them just aren't as funny or entertaining to watch as they (or their ridiculously large fanbases) think they are. Whether it's that 2-minute-long intro at the beginning of every video, or those weird editing "tricks" they seem to think looks good (like constantly cutting to what looks like 10 seconds later), or obnoxiously loud screaming when they're "startled" by a running leaf (when is this "scare-cam" fad going to die??)..
There's always something about nearly every single "mainstream" LPer or reviewer just makes me irrationally angry.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The only Lets Players I watch are Markiplier, Yammimash, and SomeOrdinaryGamers, as their lets plays on indie games are quite short.

Oh, god, RandomDCE. I remember 2008. That guy was such a hipster ****, not to mention being even worse than Yahtzee.
He even mentioned how his haters accused him of being more of a Yahtzee rip-off than an AVGN rip-off.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Oh my god, too many Zombie games are being made, what even. Stop over saturating the market developers, it'll become like the military shooter at this rate!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm kinda reminded of that one time when I decided to watch a video made by Pewdiepie. After the beginning I had to turn the video off, because it was just so stupid. For the most part I'd rather watch LPers who are more serious in what they do...

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
Oh my god, too many Zombie games are being made, what even. Stop over saturating the market developers, it'll become like the military shooter at this rate!

I thought they already were? :v
Completely serious, I thought that market was shot to hell years ago.

I'm kinda reminded of that one time when I decided to watch a video made by Pewdiepie. After the beginning I had to turn the video off, because it was just so stupid. For the most part I'd rather watch LPers who are more serious in what they do...

Amen.

It's entirely possible to be entertaining and informative at the same time, without overdoing either one to the point of being obnoxious or boring, respectively.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I thought they already were? :v
Completely serious, I thought that market was shot to hell years ago.
Nah, they're not as bad as Military Shooter JUST yet, but they're getting pretty close and at this rate we'll burn everyone out to them. It feels like I can't get on Steam without seeing an update about a new Zombie game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I think both Extra Credits and the Game Overthinker explained why zombies in video games are all the rage now. Because 1) nobody's afraid of monsters such as xenomorphs anymore, 2) the developers can get away with killing people in games without having them being human, and 3) they're more likely to happen in real life than other end of the world scenarios.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
It's no different than the "World War II" genre that has now lived-and-died, as well as the "band" game phenom. It's just the way culture and society works.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's no different than the "World War II" genre that has now lived-and-died, as well as the "band" game phenom. It's just the way culture and society works.
I'm surprised Pokémon is still alive despite being a fad before dying off in the early 2000's, resulting in Game Freak struggling to get the recent games reaching sales of the first two gens.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Or the revival of Hardcore Platforming games. I mean I really like to play hard platformers, but it seems like a lot of them are only designed to make the players die a lot. Just because they are hard, doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun playing them, right?
Fortunately there are always exceptions of the rules, like Super Meat Boy and Shovel Knight (which I still need to get my hands on a copy).

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I never understood why people love hardcore platformers so much. Games that are hard just for the sake of being difficult don't really do much for me - if anything, they're just frustrating, and I'm not having fun when I'm frustrated.

There are some legitimately difficult games that I've enjoyed. Just recently I've beaten DKC Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight, and neither of those games are easy to say the least. But I didn't particularly find their difficulty frustrating, whereas with something like Super Meat Boy I could see myself snapping my controller in half within five minutes. When you realize that you died because of your own screwup, rather than because the game wants you to die, it's much more rewarding and less frustrating.

Sir Codin

The reason some people prefer games to be hard is because of the euphoric sense of satisfaction you get when you actually get ahead in the game.

Took me uber amounts of tries to beat those two Gargoyles at the Bell Tower on top of the Undead Burg in Dark Souls and when I finally did, I was so happy I cried.

Sometimes being hard for the sake of being hard is the entire selling point of the game and can be uber amounts of fun when playing it. Otherwise, I Wanna Be The Guy would not have been so popular.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Difficulty on the level of Champion Road in SMG2 and the Champion Level in SM3DW is about as hard as it can get for me. I can do the DKCR games, but its gonna take a while. I just don't have the patience to dedicate any time to perfecting the controls anymore.

Sir Codin

So, after much deliberation and having a case of morbid curiosity, I just purchased Daikatana.

John Romero has just made me his bitch.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I never understood why people love hardcore platformers so much. Games that are hard just for the sake of being difficult don't really do much for me - if anything, they're just frustrating, and I'm not having fun when I'm frustrated.

There are some legitimately difficult games that I've enjoyed. Just recently I've beaten DKC Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight, and neither of those games are easy to say the least. But I didn't particularly find their difficulty frustrating, whereas with something like Super Meat Boy I could see myself snapping my controller in half within five minutes. When you realize that you died because of your own screwup, rather than because the game wants you to die, it's much more rewarding and less frustrating.
I think that Super Meat Boy is at least fair with its difficulty. If you fail you concede that it was your fault because you know that it's possible. It's the Rage Platformers that are REALLY bad.

Anyway, I just watched the trailer for Life Is Strange, and I have goosebumps. It looks amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back