• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    It's kinda funny, though, that I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked the original 3DS more then every later installment, like the 3DSXL or 2DS.

I have the Ocarina of Time 3DS and I loooooooove it. Seriously. But I worry so much about the build quality. You can poke a hole right through the Home, Start, and Select buttons @_@ And I bought mine used and whoever had mine before me was rough with it so it's my precious baby now. I actually bought a 2DS because it bugged me so much.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This is terrible! I was able to transfer all of my data from my old 3DS's SD card onto my new 3DS XL's micro SD card, but according to Mii Plaza, it doesn't have all of my saved data for the Mii Plaza games on my SD card, which I could've sworn was. Because of this, all of my saved data for the extra puzzles, since it was able to transfer my streetpass numbers, hats, and completed default puzzle panels. I don't know what to do! I have a back-up file on my computer, but I don't know it can't get transferred again. I can't enjoy my new 3DS XL anymore because of this. I wish I had a time machine to stop myself from using the XL and only use it as a collectable.

Edit: Nevermind, it turns out the micro SD card actually contained nothing even after the transfer, so I've transferred the files of my SD card from the PC onto it, and now all of my data from my old 3DS is intact, including my Mii Plaza data.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I got my n3DS at launch and...fell victim to the unfortunate chance of factory defects. The inside of the Touch Screen has a small slit near the top which generally isn't too noticeable, but it's enough of an issue that I'm probably going to take advantage of the warranty. After all, I got the n3DS partially so that I could do with my 3DSXL that had a dead pixel in its top screen (making 3D less than attractive).

Though my n3DS did give me the drive to get back into Shin Megami Tensei IV, which is always good.

Apart from that, I finally got to playing Danganronpa, which I bought almost a month ago, and I beat it just today. It was fantastic, I loved the hell out of that game. In a lot of ways, it feels like that game was tailor-made for me. I did have some gripes with it, specifically how easy and forgiving it was, but those issues were far from game breaking and regardless it was an all around great time. Loved the characters, loved the musical style, loved the art, loved the direction- it was just a pretty damn great game. I immediately bought 2 upon completion which...probably wasn't the best idea. I'm planning on buying Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires, so I don't really have a lot of money to be spending frivolously. Unless I can sell my old 3DS, at least.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Does anyone know when they plan on restocking New 3DSes? It's kind of ridiculous that Nintendo doesn't make enough of an item to keep it in stock after launch. Did they not think that people would wait to use tax refund money to purchase them?

Years
  • Yeah, same thing happened to me. If it takes a while for them to get more New 3DS systems into the storefront, then they might not see much progress on their statistical note.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Does anyone know when they plan on restocking New 3DSes? It's kind of ridiculous that Nintendo doesn't make enough of an item to keep it in stock after launch. Did they not think that people would wait to use tax refund money to purchase them?

It's weird because here they actually have some still in stores ._. Well, they did a couple days ago, at least.

I think Nintendo is just working on their supply chain, ironic as it sounds. Better to be short on inventory than waste space like they did with the Wii U. It's funny that it's taken people until recently to notice the go slow on the West Coast, considering it's been affecting things for months.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • GUYS! I GOT A THING TODAY!!!
    Spoiler:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I was going through old pics, and I found this piece of gold. The images are from an MMO called DC Universe Online (made my Sony Entertainment). I took two screenshots and noticed they went perfectly together, so i made a simple gif.

EDIT: Apparently gifs don't work with attachments. Bummer :(

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've spend the last couple days playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Admittedly, I really liked the design of most of the worlds so far and the atmosphere was alright. But what I don't like are the puzzles and the hugh amount of backtracking that is neccessary in order to beat the game. Especially the bosses tend to be a hugh pain, some of them requiring certain items for beating them and if you didn't happen to find them while beating the level they're in, then have fun, looking for them. I kinda feel if they put less emphasis on creating new and funny looking thing stickers and instead focused a little bit more on a few of them and making the important battles more skill and less trial and error based (actual strategy as opposed to just spamming thing stickers at the boss), it could have been a lot better.

Just got through World 4 and I'm on my way into World 5 now.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I've spend the last couple days playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Admittedly, I really liked the design of most of the worlds so far and the atmosphere was alright. But what I don't like are the puzzles and the hugh amount of backtracking that is neccessary in order to beat the game. Especially the bosses tend to be a hugh pain, some of them requiring certain items for beating them and if you didn't happen to find them while beating the level they're in, then have fun, looking for them. I kinda feel if they put less emphasis on creating new and funny looking thing stickers and instead focused a little bit more on a few of them and making the important battles more skill and less trial and error based (actual strategy as opposed to just spamming thing stickers at the boss), it could have been a lot better.

Thank you for this. I was on the fence about getting Sticker Star. I will still probably get it, but I know what to expect.
    I don't know why Intelligent Systems had to muck up the Paper Mario games. 1 and 2 were masterpieces, but I feel they tried to 'experiment' too much with 3 and 4 (although I did like 3). I would be so happy if they stuck to what made the first two enjoyable.

EDIT: Speaking of Paper Mario, has anyone seen the project called "New Paper Mario"? It's an HD retexture of the entire game, and it looks lovely. Apparently it's set for release in 2016.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I've spend the last couple days playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Ironically, the lack of backtracking was one of the criticisms given to the Gen V Pokémon games, Skyward Sword, and Metroid Other M, which inspired me to start creating a thread asking people whether or not they prefer backtracking or linearity.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Ironically, the lack of backtracking was one of the criticisms given to the Gen V Pokémon games, Skyward Sword, and Metroid Other M, which inspired me to start creating a thread asking people whether or not they prefer backtracking or linearity.
    I personally don't mind backtracking too much, as long as I have fun with the Gameplay. E.g. backtracking in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin was really fun, because you could just keep blazing through the enemies. Using your favorite weapon and onehitting everything is really satisfying, especially if you had problems with those enemies, when you went there the first time.
    Pokemon and every other games that uses an external system as it's main gameplay element (all those menu based battle systems that force a screen transition) are a little bit more complicated, as those are really slow per design (which makes sense, because those systems are there to make you think what your next move shall be), but at least Pokemon gave you Fly and Repels to speed up the process.

Taking that back to Paper Mario: Sticker Star; while there's no leveling system besides those HP-Ups that give Mario some more HP, over the course of the game, he still gets stronger by a little bit. So at some point he becomes strong enough to beat many of the enemies without being forced to battle them, by simply jumping on them or using his hammer. Unfortunately at the time you're getting there, you're pretty much past the point where it's important to you, anyway.

I just wished, they put some marker into the game that indicates whether I've already found everything in a level, or not.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Skyward Sword has a lot of backtracking.

Linearity isn't a negative provided the game is designed for it. The stigma against linear games these days is actually pretty ridiculous.

Excessive backtracking can be worse than a linear game if it's not well designed.

Reactions: Nah

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I find when it comes to backtracking in video games, there are two kinds. The two kinds being "good" backtracking and "bad" backtracking. "Good" backtracking is when you are able to go back to an area and still find items. Examples of "good" backtracking are certain games in the "Metroidvania" category of the Castlevania series. "Bad" backtracking is when you are able to go back to an area, but not find items that were there before. One such example of "bad" backtracking happens to be in Halo 3.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I really...wouldn't say Halo 3 is a good example of that since the campaign is fairly linear. (Yes you can backtrack but you practically have no reason to) That's actually underselling the good things about the game.

An example of bad backtracking would be unnecessary backtracking that exists purely for padding the game. Skyward Sword has that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back