• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Worst Kanto Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Farfetch'd. I don't know why but that little duck thing has always pissed me off to this day, and while he sucks at battling his doesn't make it up with the charisma that dunsparce or jigglypuff have. This guy thinks he all that and can like just run away from battles, and take over the forests. I flat out just can't stand this guy and he's always been a nuisance to me. I know some people love the "cute" little duck or whatever you are, but I am not one of them.

Butterfree and Beedrill. I love you guys, both really cool Pokemon but they're just really weak compared to the majority of final evolutions imo. Even though they had some cool attacks at the time like sleep powder they were simply not a challenge for most of the Pokemon in the game.

mjb8910

mjb8910
    Years
  • I'm going to say Seaking because it didn't have very many attacks. Its a physical attacking pokemon and in Gen 1 all water attacks were special attacks. With a huge selection of water pokemon in Gen 1, it was easy to do better. At least now Seaking has redeemed itself with better attacks and can have Lightning Rod which makes it immune to electric attacks and making it weak only to grass attacks.

Golduck is a close second. It can learn all these awesome psychic attacks and cant get STAB off them.

I agree with Farfetch'd as well. Not as good as the other Normal/Flying types like Pidgeot, Fearow and Dodrio. Plus the only one you get, has a stupid nickname...Dux

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Ditto. Low HP and Speed and it only knows Transform. It'd already be killed or half HP by the time it became another mon.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Abra. Now don't get me wrong; it's cute, it evolves into awesome things, and it's... well... cute. And has narcolepsy. But I dislike the thing because it teleports away after you run into it, and teleporting is all it can do without the use of TMs until it evolves. Catching the thing even using stuff like sleep to your advantage is a luck based mission and it's a royal pain in the rear. It has its uses even as an Abra for stuff like the Mew Glitch but... geez.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Ditto: A novelty Pokemon only, serves no purpose in a competitive battle.
    Farfetch'd: Horrendously low stats and yet another Normal/Flying type.
    Onix: Poor stats (how can a 9ft long snake made of solid rock have such a weak attack?!), and an awful movepool, it becomes useless in battle by the time you get to catch one in Rock Tunnel.
    Seadra: Has easily the worst movepool of any Gen 1 Pokemon. At least Seaking is serviceable (to a degree).

Dishonourable mentions to Magneton for being a slow Electric type with a poor movepool, and Butterfree for losing all usefulness once you've reached Cerulean City.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Zubat/Tentacool were definitely very redundant. especially in caves and water. It would've been nice to at least see another pokemon alongside those two so it wouldn't feel as redundant.

Golbat and Tentacruel are often overpowered in certain areas. but they can get annoying to battle.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Purple Rat
    Bird with Leek
    Some eggs
    Burn Head Fire Duck

In all seriousness, I think Ditto is the worst considering its limited movepool (it can only transform to get the opponent's moves). There are interesting solo runs for Gen 1 involving Rattata and Weedle (and both of them managed to complete the Gen 1 solo runs by beating the champion), but someone tried to do a solo run with Ditto and can't beat Lorelei from the E4 due to the moves being non-effective and thus it's impossible to solo run with Ditto as of now.

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
  • For me it's Tentacool.Because when you use surf,all you encountered are these annoying red headed octopus.

Farfetch'd is okay.When it learns Swords Dance and have stick as an item,you can sweep teams.I even beat Pokemon Outlaw with Farfetch'd which I got on a trade.

Years
  • Farfetch'd. It did get some buffs with 6th Gen's new critical hit mechanics, but without Swords Dance it really doesn't get much to fend for itself.

I'd also say Ditto, since breeding wasn't a thing in this game, therefore making it pointless to use.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • For me Kanto has the middle of the road Pokemon, by that I mean they're not the best but they're not the worst either. My least favourite from Kanto is Snorlax, I just don't like how it is designed at all and I can't find a viable reason to use it whatsoever.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Lemme see...

1. Anything not named "Chansey" that got an evolution in GSC. There's a very good reason why the likes of Crobat, Steelix, and Kingdra were created, and all you have to do is use Golbat, Onix, and Seadra in RBY to find out why.

2. Beedrill. Don't get me wrong, Butterfree sucks pretty bad, too, but it's at least quite useful in the early game with Confusion/Sleep Powder. Beedrill, on the other hand, doesn't even have that much going for it. Awful stats and no useful moves, whatsoever.

3. Pidgeot. Sure, it looks kind of cool, but its stats and movepool are anything but. Spearow's line is not only stronger, but also grows faster (you get Fearow at L20 and Pidgeot at L36... 'nuff said), and by the time Fearow starts to fall behind, Doduo is usually right around the corner. There's no need to use Pidgey's line, ever.

4. Anything that can be caught with the Good Rod. In a way, there's actually even less of a reason to obtain the Good Rod than the Old Rod. The Old Rod catches nothing but Magikarp, yes, but Magikarp evolves into an excellent Pokémon. The Good Rod, on the other hand, catches nothing but... Goldeen and Poliwag. You know, a couple of generic, horribly outclassed Water types?

5. Pikachu in Yellow. No Light Ball. No evolution. First gym uses Rock/Ground types. Just. Shoot. Me. Yeah, it's cute, and it follows you around, but that's about it. Have fun later in the game barely making a scratch with Thunderbolt while dying to Tackle.

6. Any novelty/gimmick Pokémon. Aka, Ditto, Farfetch'd, Lickitung, etc. Obviously, these Pokémon all suck and aren't worth the time. (Although, Farfetch'd actually makes a decent HM Slave.)

Reactions: Sun

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I actually like Farfetch'd, Ditto and Lickitung, for that exact reason. They're gimmicky, novelty Pokemon that I always considered somewhat rare. Sure they might not be the best in battle, but they have a charm about them that I like. I'm not a fan of Oddish, but I find Gloom cute because of how stupid and out of it it looks. Not a fan of Spearow/Fearow or any of the electric types aside from the Pikachu line. Kanto has a lot of Pokemon that I actually dislike! I'm more of a Gen II kind of guy.

Years
  • My least favourite is probably Muk. I know it's quite common to hit him with the unoriginal design reasoning, but there's a lot of truth to it. A lot of the other unoriginal ideas have some sort of cuteness or other personality to them to distinguish them (Seel / Dewgong for example).

Outside of that perhaps Magmar. I just never really liked the way it looks. It is quite useful in the games if you don't pick Charmander I suppose, but I personally would opt for Rapidash purely on aesthetic reasons.

Captain Morgan

Please post responsibly
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 15, 2016
    Gotta give the 'usability' thing a pass here. Asides some questionable designs *cough*rotten eggs*cough* the games themselves were pretty darn good considering the time and platform they were on. It was all new to the designers and I doubt they knew where they were going with things half the time. So of course it would take a gen or two to work on move pools and stats. xD

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Beedrill without a doubt. Sure, it gets a mega in Gen 6, but before that, it's awful. Sure, I don't use it and all, but why would I when it's bad.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I follow the feelings on Beedrill. I only recently considered adding one to my team because it only recently became viable by any sense of the world. Gen I Beedrill suffered terribly. All bugs, for that matter.

Also, Flareon. Its stats could not support its typing and was overshadowed entirely by the likes of Charizard, Ninetales and Arcanine who could play its role much more skillfully.

These were probably not the worst Pokémon, but certainly painfully disappointing.

Back