• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WTF is wrong with Aerial Ace?!?

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Has anybody else noticed that there is a large number of pokemon who can learn Aerial Ace that shouldn't be able to? EX: I have a Dugtrio that knows Aerial Ace on my FireRed version

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • The user confounds the foe with speed, then slashes. The attack lands without fail.
    thats bulbapedia's definition of aerial ace
    How does that exclude anything? while dugtrio may not be able to sprout wings and fly, it doesn't make him not fast.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Not to mention ... Rhydon learns Surf, Raticate learns Bubblebeam, Primeape learns Thunderbolt, Electabuzz learns Psychic, Doduo learns Fly, Marowak learns Fire Blast... Pokemon are apparently *very* talented. :P

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Aerial Ace, Japanese name is "Turning Swallow Cut" which is a Japanese samurai slash. It really has nothing to do with flying. So, imagine your Dugtrio claws as swords.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Aerial Ace, Japanese name is "Turning Swallow Cut" which is a Japanese samurai slash. It really has nothing to do with flying. So, imagine your Dugtrio claws as swords.

This.

...makes me wonder why it's classified as a flying-type attack though. Is it just because the name indicates a swallow (type of bird)?

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • This.

...makes me wonder why it's classified as a flying-type attack though. Is it just because the name indicates a swallow (type of bird)?

Yeah, the name of the "Turning Swallow Cut" is based on a Swallow's tail movement when it is flying.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    Yeah, makes more sense now. Someone pointed out Rhydon can learn Surf.. well yeah :P IT JUST CAN! I laughed hard in Ruby when I taught Dodrio Fly >;P

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I thought a Haikou was a poem? So those poems are called flying poems,interesting. :)
    Pretty sure "Haiku" has different origins.

Yeah, makes more sense now. Someone pointed out Rhydon can learn Surf.. well yeah :P IT JUST CAN! I laughed hard in Ruby when I taught Dodrio Fly >;P
    I seem to recall a Dodrio using Fly in the anime ... it just jumped really high. >.<

Last edited:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I wuv my Surf/Ice Beam Nidoqueen and my Thunder/Blizzard Nidoking. :3

So, imagine your Dugtrio claws as swords.
    So, better question - where the frak are Dugtrio's claws? :P

Last edited:

aka825

Online Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2012
    I agree, they really shouldn't. But have you noticed that some pokemon don't learn some TM's or HM's that they should.

Essence

Aura L♥VE
    Years
  • Yeah its a bit weird isn't it, but all you need for aerial ace is some kind of face.

All I want is for Gyara to learn it! :(

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol. How does Gyarados use Thunder without electrocuting itself?

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
  • TMs and HMs are weird...

I do really like to use TMs and HMs...But some of the pokemon who can learn them are soooo weird. Why can Raticate learn Rain Dance???

Back