• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Disappointing remixes

Years
I heard snippets of the updated soundtrack via watching LP's on YouTube, but there's only one that really disappointed me and it's one a lot have mentioned - the Fortree City theme. Although I think the change is explainable since it looks more like a calm, quaint city as opposed to a busy one.

Another one I really don't like the remake of is the Team Magma/Aqua battle theme (that's the normal battles, not against Maxie/Archie). It just doesn't sound as epic as it used to be.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed with the new Mt. Chimney music. It sounds too hip-hop-like compared to the original. The original had a more epic feeling to it.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
The gym leader theme, and all of the overworld route themes. The reason I'm disappointed in them is I feel like they sound *too* similar to the originals. It barely feels like they upgraded them. Granted, a big reason for that is because the originals already sounded pretty darn good to begin with, so why fix what isn't broken? But at the same time, as good as those themes were in the originals, I was kinda hoping for them to sound *awesome* in the remakes. But I can settle for them still just sounding really good xD

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Trainer and gym leader battle tracks weren't all trumpety like the originals, though they aren't really cause for lament. The rival battle tracks for both the unpicked protagonist and Wally, and the tracks for Sky Pillar and Zinnia, more than made up for them. It was great too that Route 113 didn't lose the forlorn feeling I always got from it. Nothing else I really noticed; I tend not to remember the original town and route tracks very well, such that I'd arrive someplace and have retrospective thoughts on its music.

Years
Apparently from what I've heard it seems like they barely upgraded the Gym Leader battle music. And I was hoping they'd try to take advantage of the 3DS' sound capabilities while still remaining true to the old themes, but some of them seem to have fallen short.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I like the OST of ORAS, and I like the OST of the original games, but I was a little bit disappointed by ORAS' songs. I was expecting more I think...

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I loved everything about the music

The only realdisappointment was the lack of tubular bells in a lot of tracks

Years
While I'm enjoying Alpha Sapphire immensely ... I have to say I feel a little underwhelmed by the remixes as well. I haven't got as far as the Elite Four yet, but the remixes I have heard... well, I do honestly think I prefer the originals. There's nothing wrong with them, but they do lack something that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's because they sound too similar to the originals and I expected something a lot more powerful? I don't know.

RSE soundtrack is probably my least favourite soundtrack across all the Pokémon games anyway. HeartGold and SoulSilver's soundtrack was absolutely incredible, especially the Johto Gym/Elite Four theme.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 30, 2014
I loved the champion theme in the original R/S but in ORAS it seemed to be completely changed, which was very annoying.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
While I'm enjoying Alpha Sapphire immensely ... I have to say I feel a little underwhelmed by the remixes as well. I haven't got as far as the Elite Four yet, but the remixes I have heard... well, I do honestly think I prefer the originals. There's nothing wrong with them, but they do lack something that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's because they sound too similar to the originals and I expected something a lot more powerful? I don't know.

Exactly how I feel. I was expected more "oomph" in all the music but it never happened. I'm especially sad about Steven's remix because his Champion theme is my 2nd favorite. I haven't gotten to him yet but listened to it online and prefer the original way over it. It's lacking and doesn't give me the feeling of battling a champion, especially about 20 seconds in. They took the horn/drum out which made it cool to even begin with >_>

Years
I honestly loved all the music in ORAS. And RSE's music was my favourite besides DPPt. There weren't any remixes in ORAS that I really thought were "bland".

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I think that they've done a good job updating the R/S/E soundtrack with new instrumentation for the 3DS. It's a lot better than HG/SS soundtrack imo.

Years
Exactly how I feel. I was expected more "oomph" in all the music but it never happened. I'm especially sad about Steven's remix because his Champion theme is my 2nd favorite. I haven't gotten to him yet but listened to it online and prefer the original way over it. It's lacking and doesn't give me the feeling of battling a champion, especially about 20 seconds in. They took the horn/drum out which made it cool to even begin with >_>

Oh dear. I haven't reached the Champion yet either but it seems like quite a few people are disappointed with it. A lot of the themes appear to be 'lacking'.

I will say though, I'm very impressed with the Sealed Chamber music (which was one of my faves from R/S/E) and I also like the route music (route 104 I think it is). So it's not all bad ;)

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
Years
Ok, here's my take on it.

I don't really have an issue with it.

GameFreak had a tightrope to walk. Because when they've done deviating remixes in the past (see HGSS' Goldenrod City) its been badly received. Playing it safe and being fairly close to its original sound was probably the safest move.

I think my biggest complaint is them not toning down the brass instruments (the infamous Trumpets, and the more present but undermentioned French Horns) in exchange for more strings.

The bigger problem with the OST in my opinion is the lack of coherency between the RSE remade tracks and the new tracks added. The piano pieces, the Soaring themes, and Wally's first encounter theme are perfectly fine. But Zinnia's and many of the cutscene tracks don't fit. I'm not saying they're bad pieces or anything. But they don't fit thematically.

Take Wally's Battle theme. Guitar soloing to emphasize his character development? Ok thats good! But the rest of the soundtrack is orchestral... You can make epic orchestral pieces! Look at Red's theme, Blue's Theme, Vs. Dialga/Palkia, Vs. N. If you want Wally to have this electric guitar solo... add more electric guitars into the primary soundtrack so its not so jarring...

So my final response - I think they did good, but the failure to synergize the old themes with the new really made it fall flat.

On plus side, it at least makes it easier to have remixes like this since their so identical.

Years
The original Sapphire has some of my fav music and I'm not at the areas with it yet. Gotta say though that from what I'm hearing so far, it's pretty good. I would like to hear a side-by-side comparison. Then we could tell for sure which one is better.

Years
Curiosity got the better of me and I had a listen to Steven's new theme on YouTube and I think it's okay actually, not as bad as I was expecting it to be. I think it still works as a Champion theme :) but I do think it lacks the intensity and scariness the original had. It's still pretty good though.

It's by no means the worst champion theme. I guess the most 'disappointing' one to date is probably Alder's, but it fits his personality so I have no problem with it. Diantha's is probably the weakest in my books. Steven's hasn't disappointed me though :)

Years
I can say I liked most of the remixes the game had. And here's a minor one: i'm battling Kyurem as i'm typing this, and remember that awesome bass guitar line that was in the track it had when you battled it in Generation V? Well they took it out of this one, and that's a major letdown.

Back