• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Disappointing remixes

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Anyone found some tracks to be disappointing compared to the original? Route 104 and the Elite Four battle theme come to mind.

Team Aqua/Magma leader battle theme is an amazing remix and also the rival battle theme remix. I guess it's just the 2 listed above that kinda disappointed me the most since those were my favorite tracks in the entire original Sapphire game.

QueenNatSumi

Fit to be a Queen
    Years
  • I enjoyed the music of the game greatly. They did a good job. I see nothing at all wrong with them. I enjoy the wild pokemon battle theme alot. Having played the sapphire as a kid, yeah it was nice to feel like I was back in Hoenn. Oh but contests music is my favorite.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I enjoyed the music of the game greatly. They did a good job. I see nothing at all wrong with them. I enjoy the wild pokemon battle theme alot. Having played the sapphire as a kid, yeah it was nice to feel like I was back in Hoenn. Oh but contests music is my favorite.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire soundtrack a lot. It's just that there were some tracks that could have been remixed better like the 2 I mentioned in my original post. They kinda lacked that epic oomph that the original had.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm with you by large. To C/P a post I made a while ago...

I dislike the synth used here. They sound flat and cheap, and doesn't blow your ears off like the original OST did. A lot of the tracks sound very mediocre, and there just isn't enough brass. Some came out fine, but then you have Route 119 and Vs Magma/Aqua Grunt that are just flat out weak and don't have the same power as the original. (Even the anime got the Grunt theme right!)

They're not just near identical, they ARE identical. I'm pretty sure it's just replaced instruments actually, because it definitely sounds like it. (EDIT: Excuse the exaggeration. The composition has differences but honestly they're very minimal) To bring up another Tropical Freeze example, one where the remix actually sounds a lot like the original, since it did it so brilliantly, the Lockjaw's Saga remix in Tropical Freeze's Irate Eight sounds nearly identical, but in reality actually adds more to it while retaining the spirit of the original, yet it has its own identity with the techno direction it took. (Makes sense with the level's theme)
    RSE and DKC2 are both OSTs that are very near dear to me, and Tropical Freeze's remixes were a love letter and the kind that I wanted, whereas ORAS just took away what I mostly loved about the original's tracks, mainly the brass.

I don't think it's terrible, I'm just disappointed. I was expecting more and was hoping it'd blow me away like the original OST did, but alas.

I also noticed a few days ago that the clapping in the E4 theme was removed. :/

Now there are some remixes that I do enjoy, most notably Primal Groudn/Kyogre battle. That one is pretty ace.

QueenNatSumi

Fit to be a Queen
    Years
  • Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire soundtrack a lot. It's just that there were some tracks that could have been remixed better like the 2 I mentioned in my original post. They kinda lacked that epic oomph that the original had.

Needs more epic oomph, right on. Well not at the e4 yet but once i get there i may have more to say about that theme for sure.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I'm with you by large. To C/P a post I made a while ago...

I dislike the synth used here. They sound flat and cheap, and doesn't blow your ears off like the original OST did. A lot of the tracks sound very mediocre, and there just isn't enough brass. Some came out fine, but then you have Route 119 and Vs Magma/Aqua Grunt that are just flat out weak and don't have the same power as the original. (Even the anime got the Grunt theme right!)

They're not just near identical, they ARE identical. I'm pretty sure it's just replaced instruments actually, because it definitely sounds like it. (EDIT: Excuse the exaggeration. The composition has differences but honestly they're very minimal) To bring up another Tropical Freeze example, one where the remix actually sounds a lot like the original, since it did it so brilliantly, the Lockjaw's Saga remix in Tropical Freeze's Irate Eight sounds nearly identical, but in reality actually adds more to it while retaining the spirit of the original, yet it has its own identity with the techno direction it took. (Makes sense with the level's theme)
    RSE and DKC2 are both OSTs that are very near dear to me, and Tropical Freeze's remixes were a love letter and the kind that I wanted, whereas ORAS just took away what I mostly loved about the original's tracks, mainly the brass.

I don't think it's terrible, I'm just disappointed. I was expecting more and was hoping it'd blow me away like the original OST did, but alas.

I also noticed a few days ago that the clapping in the E4 theme was removed. :/

Now there are some remixes that I do enjoy, most notably Primal Groudn/Kyogre battle. That one is pretty ace.

I agree with you, some of the tracks are barely different at all. Like MIDIs that went through more modern synths. This is one of the areas I didn't expect to see much of an improvement, however, because the GBA already had good sound quality. I expect that, when they remake the Sinnoh games, the same issues will arise, since the DS' music is already pretty good.

Well, I haven't listened to all of it but if they removed the trumpets in some of the routes I'll say they did a great job already.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I can kind of agree. I don't hate the soundtrack by any means, but I do think it falls a bit flat in comparison to the original. My sister thought I was playing RSE the first day I had the game, come to think of it. It sounds a little too identical for my taste.

I'm totally in love with Maxie/Archie's theme though. Not the battle theme (that's good too though), just when they show up. Pretty killer. I'm only five badges in though, so I've still got plenty of songs left to hear and judge. But I would agree that they're just too much like the originals and don't have their own shine. They're still good songs though, so the game isn't ruined for me or anything.

Maybe it's just a 3DS thing for me. I wasn't overly thrilled with the music in XY either and thought it fell flat to the likes of RSE, BW, and BW2. Only a few tracks really impressed me from that game. So I don't know. I guess I'm just not liking the approach they're taking in the music this generation.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Based on the ones I've heard so far, I'm not really happy with the E4 battle theme, Mt. Pyre (outer and inner) themes, Magma/Aqua grunt battle, Aqua encounter (seriously, it's terrible) as well as Lilycove.

The rest are fine though; especially love the other battle themes. I really like that Fortree gets a separate theme now - sounds similar but the slower pace makes it more suitable for such an environment.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • I rather enjoyed most of the musics in ORAS, but I definitely got annoyed with the encounter themes of other legendary pokemon of past gens, especially with the three legendary beasts since I was highly anticipating to hear their updated version. Hearing the GB version of the theme wasn't just sad, it was also very lazy.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    If there is one thing I'll admit about Gen 3... I couldn't care less about the music in RSE. I would see why people love the music of RSE, but brass doesn't stand out to me all that much.

That being said, however, I also don't know how to feel about the ORAS soundtrack. While I do love how they're going for a futuristic feel, I feel as if somebody is yelling at my face. Because of that, there are more tracks that I have mixed feelings on rather than ones I dislike.

If I can think of one remix at the top of my head I'm disappointed with, it'll have to be Steven's Battle Theme. RSE's version of Steven's Battle Theme is one of my favourite tracks because of how intense it sounded, but I can't say I was too fond of the ORAS version, as it took out said intensity.

Ace_Master_of_Turtles

Just that spriting guy
    Years
  • I was VERY disappointed with most of the remixes they could have been sooooo much better especially the important ones like The Team Leader battle and the Champion and Elite 4 battles

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I rather enjoyed most of the musics in ORAS, but I definitely got annoyed with the encounter themes of other legendary pokemon of past gens, especially with the three legendary beasts since I was highly anticipating to hear their updated version. Hearing the GB version of the theme wasn't just sad, it was also very lazy.

Actually it isn't lazy, it was extremely clever. Notice how you are catching these legendary pokemon from different regions. They are being transported through a portal. Meaning that these legendaries are not from Hoenn, they are being pulled out from their own region and their own dimension. This is why the portal legendary pokemon have their original theme songs and not a Hoenn remix. It's so clever and I wish more people got it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I can kind of agree. I don't hate the soundtrack by any means, but I do think it falls a bit flat in comparison to the original. My sister thought I was playing RSE the first day I had the game, come to think of it. It sounds a little too identical for my taste.

I'm totally in love with Maxie/Archie's theme though. Not the battle theme (that's good too though), just when they show up. Pretty killer. I'm only five badges in though, so I've still got plenty of songs left to hear and judge. But I would agree that they're just too much like the originals and don't have their own shine. They're still good songs though, so the game isn't ruined for me or anything.

Maybe it's just a 3DS thing for me. I wasn't overly thrilled with the music in XY either and thought it fell flat to the likes of RSE, BW, and BW2. Only a few tracks really impressed me from that game. So I don't know. I guess I'm just not liking the approach they're taking in the music this generation.

Is it a bad thing? In FRLG they changed too much and ruined most of the songs IMO.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Is it a bad thing? In FRLG they changed too much and ruined most of the songs IMO.

Is what a bad thing? Not changing the music enough? It's not a horrible thing, no. Like I said, I still enjoy the soundtrack, it just feels a little lackluster compared to the original. The songs don't have that extra "oomph" as mentioned by others and I think that's where most people find their dissatisfaction with the soundtrack. I do agree that FRLG changed too much though, since you bring that up. Out of the batch of remakes we have, I'd say that HGSS did the best job of remaking and repurposing the soundtrack and giving it a new life. I suppose it's pretty tricky with remakes, though. Either people will think there's too much change or too little change. I guess it depends on the player and how they respond to change.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Honestly I loved all of the tracks, and while I admit that I don't remember most of RSE's, there weren't any that I disliked. I mean, I don't think I loved them as much as I did but it's no fault of the remixes but I just grew older. /shrug

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I haven't heard all of the tracks in ORAS yet (I just got my 6th badge right now), but the soundtrack is pretty typical for video games; some tracks you'll love, others sound like missed opportunities. Few games ever have soundtracks where almost every single one was great.

I guess with ORAS that everyone was expecting that all the tracks would be great improvements over the originals (because, hey, everything should be better in remakes, ja?), and when that wasn't case, disappointment came along.

But two of the tracks I really like so far are the new Gym Leader theme and the Archie/Maxie encounter music.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • I'm currently stuck at the seventh gym and I really don't want to spoil the big music, so I haven't listened to most of what is ahead of me, yet. But as of now, the ONLY remix that I don't like more than the original is the Ever Grande City theme. It's just lacks the same... theme that I loved the original for. Other than that, EVERYTHING is amazing. Especially May/Brendan's theme and the Frontier Brain theme.

Back