• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Does anyone know if there is a way to check whether the player is riding a bike? I've searched the thread, but could'nt find anything =(

I do believe flag 0x271 is set when riding your bike(and obviously cleared when you get off)
Its either that or 0x830.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Does anyone know a decent guide/tutorial to use Door animator? I need to know how to use this, but it's super confusing.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2023
I recently added a new type in my rom, how can I change a pokémon type in the hex editor?
I want to change the type of deoxys to the type byte (0x17)

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
This may require a seperate thread, but maybe not. For Emerald version, does anybody know how to edit the Rayquaza VS Groudon VS Kyogre animation near the end of the game? Or at the very least, does anybody know the special flags that trigger the animation, the pointers that point towards it, and the section of hex data where the animation actually is?

Or, how to insert a custom animation where the old animation was, that would be good too.

Perhaps this is too difficult but I'll have to try.

I actually have a second question. I am planning to use advance text to compile a list of all the text within emerald version, so does anyone know how to make an ini from advance text or at least a a file for advance text to read, so that others can use emeralds scripting easily?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I recently added a new type in my rom, how can I change a pokémon type in the hex editor?
I want to change the type of deoxys to the type byte (0x17)

So this may seem complicated but this is what I do. I make a copy of my game. (So we have version A of the game and Version B and currently both versions are the same). On version A, change the type of the pokemon you want (in this case) to be anything different. It doesn't matte as long as it's something different from what it originally was. Then save.

Now go to your Hex editor that you use. Open up Version A. Most Hex editors have a function that compares files. Look around and you should be able to find it on yours. It's usually called 'Compare'. Once you find it, Compare Version A with Version B. These two should be EXACTLY the same expect for one hex value, and that hex value is the one that you changes which in this case is type of the selected Pokemon. Go to that Hex value and change it to 17. Save then try it out. This is generally how I deal with the addition of new Pokemon (So adding new Pokmon into the wild, To trainers and stuff like that). If you have any questions, feel free to ask again.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Okay, so I have a fairly serious problem here that needs to be resolved.

653ynmx.png

As you can see, you can see Oak's sprite in Pallet Town. It should be hidden, but it's not, for some reason. I did not touch anything in Pallet Town with A-Map other than the wild encounters, and I can't find anything between the vanilla script and the broken one that would cause this. I really, really don't want to start from my most recent backup since I made quite a few changes between this one and that, and that's not even considering the possibility that this might still be happening in said backup. Help, please?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
In Emerald the status effects table is at D96F90 but this seems to only be the statuses(stati?) for the party screen and not the one shown in battle. Where is the battle one?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Okay, so I have a fairly serious problem here that needs to be resolved.

653ynmx.png

As you can see, you can see Oak's sprite in Pallet Town. It should be hidden, but it's not, for some reason. I did not touch anything in Pallet Town with A-Map other than the wild encounters, and I can't find anything between the vanilla script and the broken one that would cause this. I really, really don't want to start from my most recent backup since I made quite a few changes between this one and that, and that's not even considering the possibility that this might still be happening in said backup. Help, please?
Did you by any chance accidentally change his person ID? If not, the flag which hides him is not getting set somewhere. You could fix the problem by simply adding a script, say in the player's house to hide him. Or you might want to find out where the flag should be getting set and figure it out from there.

Years
Question from a beginner:

How do ROM hackers approach the task of overhauling the graphics in a Pokemon game? (ie. replacing the primary tileset with new trees, buildings etc.)
Do you have to find the respective tiles in their tilemaps and palette (via AMap block editor) and replace them indivually, or is there another way of doing it?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
For the Tileset Palettes in AdvanceMap, only the first 6 are usable, correct?

You have seven usable for the first tileset, six for the second and three left over for the other graphics (total of 16)

Dionen

deprived of sleep
Years
Question from a beginner:

How do ROM hackers approach the task of overhauling the graphics in a Pokemon game? (ie. replacing the primary tileset with new trees, buildings etc.)
Do you have to find the respective tiles in their tilemaps and palette (via AMap block editor) and replace them indivually, or is there another way of doing it?

Yep, that's how you do it. Tile inserting is quite boring, but it gets really fast when you get used to it.
You can holdCtrl+Right click to grab more than 1 tile per once, too.

Years
Yep, that's how you do it. Tile inserting is quite boring, but it gets really fast when you get used to it.
You can holdCtrl+Right click to grab more than 1 tile per once, too.

Ah. So basically, export the palette with the target tiles like so (in this case I want to edit the PokeMart)

Then insert the new sets of tiles by replacing the space occupied by the old mart?

Dionen

deprived of sleep
Years
Anyone know a basic tree cutting XSE script for Fire Red? I can't seem to find a tutorial on this anywhere.
You should open a tree cutting script in a clean Fire Red rom (to see how it works) and create yours from that, I don't think it needs a tutorial.
Ah. So basically, export the palette with the target tiles like so (in this case I want to edit the PokeMart)

Then insert the new sets of tiles by replacing the space occupied by the old mart?
It doesn't need to be necessarily replaced, because you can rearrange the tileset the way you want.
Some hacks use default tiles with small modifications, and some do a total overhaul. If you are going to change a lot of stuff, you can rearange it as you prefer (as long as you change the blocks, in the block editor). There are a lot of ways to insert your tile in the tileset, check out the tutorials section :3

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 25, 2017
AdvanceMap won't open scripts through PKSV because the ROM isn't loaded into the script viewer. Even when I open PKSV and load the ROM, it does not allow me to open the script from AdvanceMap. It'd save me some time if I could open from AdvanceMap instead of copying the offset and searching for it each time, so is there a way to fix this?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years
AdvanceMap won't open scripts through PKSV because the ROM isn't loaded into the script viewer. Even when I open PKSV and load the ROM, it does not allow me to open the script from AdvanceMap. It'd save me some time if I could open from AdvanceMap instead of copying the offset and searching for it each time, so is there a way to fix this?

open a-map, goto settings click "choose script editor" then chooses pksv

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 25, 2017
I've already done that. The problem is that the ROM isn't open on PKSV when it opens, so it doesn't open the script.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
VBA palette viewer is lying to me :(

I can't find the palette for the Rayquaza image from the Emerald intro. It shows up on the palette viewer as number 5 but searching for those colours gives no results, even searching for a few of the colous in a row gives me nothing.

I know you have to flip the number, XXYY becomes YYXX, I've done this before for other images and their palettes, what's wrong with this one?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back