• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Souls III

Sir Codin

Elitism ensures the best of the best thrive. The strong root out the weak and video games return to the glorious days of the 80's and early 90's where instead of being interactive movies, they were tests of skill, patience, retention, and hand-eye coordination. Trying to please everyone ensures you please no one.

SO GIT GUD O GO HOMEY, BBY CUZ I'M SUPER SERIAL ABOUT DIS STUFF DUNCHA NO?

pkmin3033

Being elitist about how good you are at a series of easy video games makes no sense, though.

There. I said it. Dark Souls III is EASY.

My god do I miss the 90s though.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Being elitist about how good you are at a series of easy video games makes no sense, though.

There. I said it. Dark Souls III is EASY.

My god do I miss the 90s though.
    Dark Souls in general is easy, but yeah Dark Souls 3 is so far the easiest I've played; all it requires is persistence, caution, and memorization. Many old-school video games did this, but what makes Dark Souls easier compared to those is that you technically have infinite lives.

If it was truly hard, your file would automatically get deleted after 3 deaths and you'd have to start all over again.

And really, my comment about summoning is mostly stemmed from my irritation with the rampant ganking that's going on right now. Anybody who complains about invaders is being a silly goose because often people summon phantoms or already have phatoms summoned when I invade, making every fight 2v1, 3v1, or sometimes even 4v1 thanks to blue spirits. It's gotten so irritating that sometimes I won't even go for the host, espeically if I'm a mound-maker....I'll just go for the phantoms, then when they're dead I make a mocking gesture to the host then Black Crystal out of their world.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Dark Souls in general is easy, but yeah Dark Souls 3 is so far the easiest I've played; all it requires is persistence, caution, and memorization. Many old-school video games did this, but what makes Dark Souls easier compared to those is that you technically have infinite lives.

If it was truly hard, your file would automatically get deleted after 3 deaths and you'd have to start all over again.

And really, my comment about summoning is mostly stemmed from my irritation with the rampant ganking that's going on right now. Anybody who complains about invaders is being a silly goose because often people summon phantoms or already have phatoms summoned when I invade, making every fight 2v1, 3v1, or sometimes even 4v1 thanks to blue spirits. It's gotten so irritating that sometimes I won't even go for the host, espeically if I'm a mound-maker....I'll just go for the phantoms, then when they're dead I make a mocking gesture to the host then Black Crystal out of their world.
    I think the perception of difficulty comes mostly from the fact that the games punish mistakes with extreme prejudice. As you say, it doesn't require a lot to be able to waltz through the game, but it's not something you can just get immediately; it's a learning process. It's not hard persay, just...instructive. A work in progress. They're not randomly-generated or anything though; everything is in a set place and everything acts a set way, so it's not hard to figure out once you've seen it once or twice. At least not for me. I get how it can be difficult for newer players, but...eh, when I started playing these "Nintendo Hard" type games I started with dated platformers that were a lot more unforgiving than the Souls games. xD

I wonder if the games have gotten easier or if I've just gotten better, though. I mean, I died a ridiculous amount in Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls tripped me up in a lot of places too. But the last two games I've had barely any trouble with at all. Even the Nameless King didn't screw me over too much, once I'd gotten used to the godawful camera angles of the first phase (basically, as soon as I lost my lock I'd roll like crazy until I got it again. xD) and figured out his attack patterns in the second.

Most games aren't really suited to limited numbers of lives these days because they're not stage-based, and they're not designed to be played in a single sitting...I mean, you CAN speed-run games like Dark Souls, but generally that's not the sort of thing you can do on your first run through. Dunno how I'd feel about one-life Dark Souls.

I don't have PS+ and summons in-game are pretty limited (not to mention useless; I tried one with the Old Demon King out of curiousity and it died within about a minute) so I have no real experience with that, haha. PvP has always been a very small part of the games to me anyway; it's always felt like a tacked-on, under-developed afterthought put in there out of necessity to appeal to AAA gamers. I mean, it's always been pretty basic, but with Demon's Souls you could forgive it because the game was expected to be fairly niche and it would have been experimental at best. From Dark Souls onwards they really should have expanded on it properly...

Sir Codin

I'd have to disagree. PvP has always seemed like it was more important. I don't think the series would have lasted this long if it wasn't for its dedicated PvP community since that is one of the reasons why I keep playing the games long after I'very beaten them once.

And yeah, of course your NPC summons die easily, Melo. NPC summons have always sucked. With PC summons you often get a guy who knows what he is doing.

Last edited:

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • the pvp is a core part of the souls series, not just a tacked-on feature as you claim it to be. it's not a small part of the games by any stretch of the imagination. the fact that you play offline and so don't experience much of it is irrelevant to that. it's been an intended, planned, and well-developed feature since the beginning. it's also the most popular and used features of the game by a significant majority of the playerbase, myself included.

The PvE is just training for the PvP. Getting you used to how things work around here so you can use those skills against players.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • While PvP is integral, I'd still rather have the game balanced around PvE, as that's always available, fun as fuck and so on. Also it seems like whenever the game is balanced around PvP miracles get neutered.

Sir Codin

While PvP is integral, I'd still rather have the game balanced around PvE, as that's always available, fun as **** and so on. Also it seems like whenever the game is balanced around PvP miracles get neutered.
    That's because a lot of miracles turned out to be OP as shit in PvP. Sorcery was good for PvE, but had generally little use in PvP as only a few spells in Sorcery were viable due to them being ranged spells that players could simply roll to dodge. Dark sorceries in the Artorias DLC brought a bit more oomph back into Sorcery for PvP.

Miracles had more viable AoE spells like Force and Wrath of the Gods, as well as awesome buff spells like Sunlight Blade (lightning was pretty powerful in DS1 due to very few heavy armors resisting it) and Great Magic Barrier.

Pyromancy also had only a couple of spells useful for PvP, like Great Combustion, Black Flame, and AoE spells like Firestorm and Great Chaos Fireball.

pkmin3033

If PvP is so important, then why is it so minimalistic and poorly designed? About the only way I think of that it has improved from the first game is that I can remember when Dark Souls first came out you had no way of summoning your friends and had to rely on pot luck until they patched it. You might be satisfied with it, but I'm afraid I expect a lot more out of a PvP mode in a game than what the Souls games deliver. It's tacky, as I said. Simply how I've always seen it. Even if I had PS+ I doubt I would have bothered with DS3's.

Years
  • These eleetus comments are going to make me rip my head off I swear to izanagi

Mmm.....I'm in the middle about PvP. I feel like DKS2 got it right for the most part and I would liked some of the DKS2 PvP back. That said I don't think there's anything wrong in particular with the PvP aside from certain covenants just being outright dead (example: Watchdoges o' Farron) and it not being as expansive as DKS2 with things like the dueling arenas and stuff. It just feels like it always has. The tension of fighting another player while still trying to deal with other things is still pretty exhilarating.

Sir Codin

These eleetus comments are going to make me rip my head off I swear to izanagi

Mmm.....I'm in the middle about PvP. I feel like DKS2 got it right for the most part and I would liked some of the DKS2 PvP back. That said I don't think there's anything wrong in particular with the PvP aside from certain covenants just being outright dead (example: Watchdoges o' Farron) and it not being as expansive as DKS2 with things like the dueling arenas and stuff. It just feels like it always has. The tension of fighting another player while still trying to deal with other things is still pretty exhilarating.
    Watchdogs o Farron will start getting more activity once people realize potential builds that use the Doggy Ring. Gotta stack up that poise (despite not being like DS1 poise, which was badass)

Years
  • Watchdogs o Farron will start getting more activity once people realize potential builds that use the Doggy Ring. Gotta stack up that poise (despite not being like DS1 poise, which was badass)

My current build is gonna use the Wolf Ring but tbh Artorias's set is seeming to be purely novelty and it kinda sucks cause I don't wanna use the WKGS if I ain't in the fit of my favorite Dank Souls Knight.

Sir Codin

Great and I wanted to sunbro tonight. I recently decided to be lenient on my no summon rule for a first play through and gotma sunbro to help me with with pontiff sulyvan.

Guess I will settle for DS2 or Blood borne, because the patch also seemed to cause some framerate problems.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Okay so I've beaten every boss except for the Nameless King. I'm having a lot of difficulties with him. Anyone have any advice on how I can down him with more ease?

Back