• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • A team of six Dark-types? Well if I were to do that it'd probably look something like...

Absol or Bisharp
    Scrafty or Honchkrow
    Hydreigon
    Houndoom
    Mega Sableye
    Drapion

A mix of some I like, and some that I would want to use to combat their weaknesses, such as Drapion for Fairy-types and Sableye for Fighting-types.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I always thought a Dark/Fairy type would be more like a Pokemon that was once evil, but redeemed itself and became good, and would likely be a legendary in order to fit that role better.
    Thats actually a really good idea! It makes sense haha and it would fit a legendary!

That's a good idea too, I never thought of it like that. That's a really interesting concept, maybe the legendary for Gen VII?
    Ya id love to see the typing i wonder if it would be small like the pixie pokes or bigger hmmm. And plzz gf that would make a great legendary for the new games!

A team of six Dark-types? Well if I were to do that it'd probably look something like...

Absol or Bisharp
    Scrafty or Honchkrow
    Hydreigon
    Houndoom
    Mega Sableye
    Drapion

A mix of some I like, and some that I would want to use to combat their weaknesses, such as Drapion for Fairy-types and Sableye for Fighting-types.

Id pick bisharp even though i like absol better but bisharp is quite amazing in competitive battling!
    Honchrow just cause its awesome but i could go either way cause Scrafty pretty good competitively too! Hydreigon we all know is awesome! Houndoom glass cannon haha. Sableye YAY we can annoy people! And Drapion the fairy killer! Very nice btw that could hold out well hehe :)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • So we need a new topic, this one seems exhausted!

Take one Pokémon's lore, and change it.

Take your favourite Dark type, and change it's Pokédex entry to anything you want!

Dedenne1

Years
  • Take one Pokémon's lore, and change it.
    Sneasel, the sharp claw pokemon, sneasel uses its sharp claws to attack its prey and defend itself from its predators, they are often found stealing from other pokemons nests and from humans as well.

Lol best i can do cause i always thought of Sneasel as a pickpocket :P

Also i updated the OP with some new info and such along with the member list being updated as well so if you joined after ninjaaiden then id just check it to make sure i got your partners and name right haha. Also updated the current topic although I'll continue to keep the old one running till friday for anyone who hasnt answered and ummm POTW is on friday/saturday (depending on where you are) so yay and i decided on a very popular poke hehe. Thanks for the new topic NinjaAiden btw there should be some more posts but theres a couple people that are absent right now :/

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Sorry for my inactivity here lately, in my exam weeks I was hardly active outside Pokémon Trivia.

Right, some competition would definitely be interesting. The monotype format seems extremely suitable for this. I'm not sure if this will be completely balanced as knowing your opponent's team type (dark too) will put the use of Pokémon like Pangoro and Scrafty a significant advantage and dark type moves will sadly hardly be used, as dark resists itself.
    I myself am only able to battle through Showdown (unless you come over here and link to my tablet with Bluetooth to play in third gen). Showdown is really easy in making tournaments and everyone is able to access it, certainly if Darkness Falls would have its own room!

What would your competitive team be, if you could only use Dark types and sub-types?
    I think something like: Tyranitar, M-Absol, Pangoro, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Umbreon, looking at the Pokémon. But I'll probably have to tweak it a bit to cover the weaknesses a bit better, like Honchkrow against fighting and Drapion against Fairy.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Dark type Pokemon of the Week!
    2guxro1.png

Absol, The Disaster Pokémon. Every time Absol appears before people, it is followed by a disaster such as an earthquake or a tidal wave. As a result, it came to be known as the disaster Pokémon. It has the ability to foretell the coming of natural disasters. It lives in a harsh, rugged mountain environment. It very rarely ventures down from the mountains. It sharply senses even subtle changes in the sky and the land to predict natural disasters. It is a long-lived Pokémon that has a life-span of 100 years.

Possible Questions:

Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?

Do you think Absol Needs a de-evolution/baby pokemon?

What do you think of its dex description?

What do you think of his mega evolution? Did you like it? Why or why not?

In XY Mega evolutions were inserted in the games. One of the most unique things about this was Charizards which helped show his two aspects by having him two seperate mega evolutions. Would it be fair to say that absol deserves a second mega evolution to show his more disastrous side alongside his angelic side? Why or why not?

Other Thoughts?

Anyone who missed this weeks topic it is still up for discussion feel free to post your thoughts!

Last edited:

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
    Years
  • Absol is an awesome Pokemon, in both design and concept. I like that it's purpose to warn people of disaster, but it's appearance and classification as the Disaster Pokemon are misleading, making you think it's the cause of the disasters. The fact that it can learn Razor Wind doesn't help. I've used Absol in competitive 4th Gen, but I don't think I've ever used it in game. It was a fun, kind of gimmicky Pokemon because of Super Luck and it's high Critical Hit rate attacks, but of course it's poor Speed really holds it back.

Personally, I don't link it's Mega Evolution. They took a badass looking Pokemon, and made it super girly. It's head scythe becomes basically a decorative head piece to match it's super feminine hairstyle, and looks as though it can no longer serve any real purpose in a fight. The fur on it's chest becomes all really smooth and curls a bit, as opposed to to rough look it had before. It even looks like it should have been a Fairy-Type because of it's wings. I'd be more okay with it's design if that had that been the case. But when you get right down to it, they took everything that makes Absol the symbol of destruction, a scythe, a rough coat of fur, and an overall intimidating appearance, and stripped it away. Now, if would just smile, it would look like the symbol of super-happy fun time than disaster. When you get right down to it, Mega Absol looks like a My Little Pony/Pokemon Crossover fan art. I do not approve of it at all. They didn't even handle it's stat changes properly. Why would they increase it's Special Attack? By 40 points, even? By level up, it learns only two special attacks. Two! And they're terrible! Everything about regular Absol screams physical attacker, before you even look at it stats. If they were going to pump it's Special Attack, they should bumped it to a reasonable enough level that it's worth using, let along taking up the one spot you get on your team for a Mega Evolution. But 115 is outclassed by several regular Pokemon, including some Dark-Types and many other Mega Evolutions, who are also faster than it. I can't see any reason to say, hey, I have this Pokemon with base 150 Attack and 115 Special Attack. I should use it as a Special Attacker! 115 may be respectable, but it's not even worth considering when you have that much Attack. They should have dumped those 40 points into Speed to make Absol the physical sweeper it was meant to be, and should have already been when they first made it's stats. Seriously, only 75 before Mega Evolving? It just looks like something that should be fast, and it would have to be in order to warn people of disasters in time. And while 115 after Mega Evolving is good, it's not good enough. At the very minimum, 120 would be great, but I would have liked for it to have at least 130.

The bottom line is, aside from Absol's poor speed, it's awesome, and I dislike almost everything about Mega Absol.

Years
  • Absol? Woohoo! Been very excited for this ;D

I have used it in-game at least twice to my recollection - once in a Dark Monotype I did in X, where it was a great team member to have on my team throughout the game. And the second was in my grueling White 2 Challenge Mode Wedlocke, it came on my team very late but was a lifesaver against the Elite Four and Champion, most notably Shauntal's Choice Scarf Chandelure and Iris' Haxorus (after I got it to her Focus Sash) thanks to Sucker Punch.

What do you think of its Mega?
    It's decent enough, they gave it a nice speed boost and it can be a mixed attacker, but at the same time I wish it had gotten some defenses instead.

Do you think Absol Needs a de-evolution?
    Given that its Attack is by far its most notable stat, maybe it'd fit it well. I could imagine using one early in the game and having it hit really hard.

Crazy to believe it's a disaster summoner (by that description) if it's true... But to foresee then is neat.

Kinda already answered this, haha.

Other Thoughts?
    A solid Pokémon despite how frail it is, it can be very fun to use.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I've never used Absol, but I must admit it is pretty cool. It pretty strong and gets some decent moves to boot. I also like it's Mega's design.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?
    I remembered That I only used Absol once in the Games.So I'm Wishing to use it in my next game.

Yeah,Absol Surely needs a De-Evolved Form because If Absol get its de-evolved/baby form It will become so cute and adorable^^ and people start liking him than ever :)

It Dex Description is neat and a bit good.

Its Mega Evolved Form Makes Absol much powerful than Absol(Due to Increase in Attacks stats and highly increased speed).So I really like it Mega Evolved Form.

Other Thoughts?
    Don't have Much Thoughts But Only Have one Thought That Absol is So Cute And Adorable :P

Lycanthropy

Years
  • I really like Absol. Designwise, I used to think it was extremely contradictory to have a white dark type Pokémon, but it does have its effect. With its white fur, your attention get quickly absorbed by the black scythe on its head.
    Absol has nice attack and speed, making it a good sweeper, sadly in its introduction generation dark used to be a special based type, meaning Absol couldn't really benefit much from its STAB moves. But in later generations it could easily use Swords Dance and then have a good arsenal of physical moves.

Absol has an awesome history, warning people for disasters but sometimes actually be misinterpreted as the causer of them.
    This makes me dubious about the Mega. The Mega looks more angelic, fitting better to the role as a guardian warning the people, but it makes the misinterpreting part lose its point.

Circuit

Years
  • ABSOL :D About time, my lovely partner in crime <3

In-game yes, although I admit to not catching one yet in OR/AS. During my run through of OR, I hope to do a Dark mono-type challenge, which should be fun, and Absol will definitely be a part of my team.

No. I love the concept of Absol as a stand-alone Pokémon, with it's Mega Evolution granting it a little more power and identity. I feel an evolution would spoil it's appearance, and the feel of Absol in general. Especially as the disaster Pokémon in the PMD games,
    Spoiler:

It's dex description is pretty awesome, I think. It describes the awesome Pokémon that Absol is meant to be. The lore comes across very well to fit Absol's appearance and roles in various games.

Absol's Mega Evolution turns it from a misinterpreted disaster Pokémon into an angelic, guardian angel-type Pokémon. I think it is quite a suitable Mega Evolution, however it could have been made to reinforce the disastrous side to Absol, which would make it a little more awesome imo. Maga Absol could also use some boosted defences, but its increased speed isn't much to grumble at.

Other Thoughts?

I really enjoy Absol's concept, design and typing in general, as an all around well made Pokémon, with some interesting attributes and lore.

Dedenne1

Years
  • I do have another question that I'll add to the post for everyone but since a lot of people seem to have touched on this for POTW absol....
    New question added
    In XY Mega evolutions were inserted in the games. One of the most unique things about this was Charizards which helped show his two aspects by having him two seperate mega evolutions. Would it be fair to say that absol deserves a second mega evolution to show his misunderstood disastrous side alongside his angelic side? Why or why not?

Last edited:

Circuit

Years
  • Nah, I don't think so. Absol isn't the greatest Pokémon I'm not going to lie. And it's not nearly iconic enough to warrant it's own second Mega evolution. Plus, it doesn't have a disastrous side. That's the thing. That's simply a misconception. And while that would be a cool aspect to show off, that doesn't come into Absol itself, more the people who see Absol. So Absol can't really use that demonic view to evolve by, when it really is just a peaceful Pokémon who is very finely tuned to natural hazards.

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
    Years
  • An additional Mega Evolution would only be acceptable if they made it physically based, and the one we got specially based since it looks like something that would be special. But I don't really think it needs one. I think that Charizard really only got two because of it's massive fanbase compared to other Pokemon, which Absol does not have.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Would it be fair to say that absol deserves a second mega evolution to show his misunderstood disastrous side alongside his angelic side? Why or why not?

While a second Mega would be pretty cool, I don't think it would be totally beneficial or necessary. Its disastrous side is a misconception and just a superstition and I don't think it's actually fitting.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Nice opinions haha i myself will always love absol as one of my altime favorite dark types! I guess i could answer the topic questions as well :P

Not many people havent and i have in gen 6th and gen 3

No i like it as a standalone although ive seen people wish for a de-volution for it :3

Love it its its kinda like a misunderstood villian or a good person being misunderstood as a bad guy!

For me theres 3 categories:
    Design: I liked the design as it pertained to him being kinda angelic and a helpful pokemon who looks out for human kind although the wings threw me off at first my initial impression was it was going to be a dark fairy type.
    Ability: i like his new ability magic bounce is great and makes M-Absol very useful!
    Stat changes: and its the worst. I was hoping for really a boost in attack and speed but sadly for some odd reason they upped his SpAtk. Why? I have no idea there wasnt really any reason towards this as he will stay a physically powerful pokemon. His speed stat received a pretty ok boost that i was quite happy with but i would have liked to seen alittle more defense in his stat boosts just to up that would help a lot in competitive battling and make him more versatile.

So ya absol is pretty great do know that you can discuss the current POTW till the next POTW is up but for know i have a new topic which hasnt really been discussed yet.

Where you happy with all the new dark types in gen 6? Did you expect Yveltal to be Dark/Flying? How do you feel about Yveltal being weak to Xerneas?

Circuit

Years
  • Where you happy with all the new dark types in gen 6? Did you expect Yveltal to be Dark/Flying? How do you feel about Yveltal being weak to Xerneas?

Eh. It isn't the first time that Game Freak have made one legendary strong against the other (Kyogre vs Groudon anyone?). I like Yveltal's typing, and it was kinda obvious from its design.

As for all the regular dark types, I don't think I used even one of them to be honest. My party was full of Pokémon from previous gens... Plus Greninja.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Where you happy with all the new dark types in gen 6?
    Certainly, I like all of them. Greninja is a ninja, and therefore awesome. Pangoro looks really cool, and I tend to think it has a great competitive use, because it swiped me completely once. (Okay, I had a mono-ice team.) Inkay and Malamar have a great concept, not to forget the unique evolution method. Yveltal is a badass bird thing and I happen to like quetzals , although the resemblance is hard to find.

Did you expect Yveltal to be Dark/Flying?
    It is a flying bird of doom. What other types would you expect it to have?

How do you feel about Yveltal being weak to Xerneas?
    I don't really see a problem with Xerneas having type advantage over Yveltal. The context in which the Pokémon are placed show life versus doom and destruction. It would be really unbalanced if the dark side would have advantage. The world would look really sad.

milk!

oh yeah!
    Years
  • Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?

I did used to use it as a sword dance sweeper, back in the day! Now that it has a mega I bet it has lots more tricks up it's sleeve now.

No no, I think Absol is perfect as a single evolution.

I think it's awesome! It shows that the Pokemon world is not all sunshine and butterflies, and that tragic things like natural disasters do happen. It makes Absol sound so powerful and terrifying.

I didn't look too much into how it is competitively, but I think it's mega is beautiful!

In XY Mega evolutions were inserted in the games. One of the most unique things about this was Charizards which helped show his two aspects by having him two seperate mega evolutions. Would it be fair to say that absol deserves a second mega evolution to show his more disastrous side alongside his angelic side? Why or why not?
    Interesting question! I'm actually kind of opposed to Pokemon having two separate megas, so I don't think Absol needs another one. I think while Absol's mega looks angelic, it's still the same disastrous Pokemon it's always been.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back