• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
  • Totally missed this one.

Where you happy with all the new dark types in gen 6? Did you expect Yveltal to be Dark/Flying? How do you feel about Yveltal being weak to Xerneas?

Inkay and Malamar are a bit weird for me, but I love Greninja who would've guessed and Pangoro is pretty cool as well. Yveltal is also pretty cool, though I only have X and haven't gotten one of my own.

Yveltal being Dark/Flying isn't all that surprising to me given its design. Being weak to Xerneas? I only have one thing to say about that: I hate fairies.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Where you happy with all the new dark types in gen 6? Did you expect Yveltal to be Dark/Flying? How do you feel about Yveltal being weak to Xerneas?

Yveltal Pokemon is pretty cool and amazing.Yes I had expected Yveltal Pokemon to be Dark/Flying type because of its design and shape.Its design and shape made me clear about its dual type.I'm sort of confused that i both like dark as well as fairy type.So I Really don't know ~_~

Last edited:

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • We need a topic that promotes discussion... Hmm...

Alright. Best and worst Dark types and why?

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Best and worst Dark types and why?

Oh boy. Lots for me.

Best: Houndoom is a favorite for it's design, power, and it's a Fire-type, so I naturally am a fan. Tyranitar is just a beast. Sneasel/Weavile are some of the best quick strikers around. And of course, Greninja, which can hit with both Special and Physical attacks and is very fast.

Worst: Not many that I don't like, but Inkay and Malamar are definitely not exactly appealing in terms of design, and their stats don't jump off the page either. Mandibuzz isn't exactly one of my favorites either, especially considering it's just a wall and I'm not that type of player.

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years

Best: Umbreon of course, my all time favorite pokemon,
    Just looks how cute it is.

Worst: i actually can't think of one, i could go with Inkay and Malamar just like Quajutsu because of the stats.
    I like their designs tho. Both are kinda cute looking.

Return

Years

Best: My favorite Pokemon is Mightyena. It is very much useful in the games high attack stats and all other stats are balanced very well which makes it so much powerful in the games, its moves and abilities also give him a major boost in the games.In Anime Its design is awesome with black and gray body with cute fur haha :p

Worst: Just like everyone said,i will go with inkay and Malamar because of its worst design and very low cuteness with very weak stats.So I don't like them much.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2023
    Username: Inti

I love dark pokemon because they have cool design,scary, at times misunderstood in a way, and have good attack as well being good attackers.

Three Partner Pokemon: Umbreon,Tyranittar, and Spiritomb

My favorite pokemon is hard to says its between Umbreon,Tyranittar, and Spiritomb. Because they both have cool design and good stats
    Umbreon: My favorite Eevee Revolutions and like its yellow patterns
    Tyranittar: Basically kinda like Godzilla and is a staple in sandstorm teams
    Spiritomb : Is one of the oldest dark types according to pokedex entries and is made up of 108 spirits. It was insane when it first came out because it had no weakness until fairy types came out.

@Dedenne1 about Absol

1. I remember I used Absol in my game team in pokemon emerald

2. I think it would be cute if Absol had a pre-evolution and would help its stats out.

3.The dex description is good

4. I really like its mega evolution makes it look angelic and guardian angel looking.

5. I do not see why not give Absol a second mega evolution showing its disastrous side or have its new evolution be a dark mega evolution ( Like a corrupt form of mega evolution if you now what I mean)

6. I would will try to make a team around it someday

Last edited:
    Years

Not sure if I answered this, but I'll go ahead.

Best: Honchkrow, with its badass mobster look and having some nice abilities to go with its high Attack stat. Learns a lot of strong Dark and Flying moves as well. Another one that comes close is Absol, another great design that comes with a Mega and tons of different moves to use thanks to a massive TM and tutor movepool.

Worst: I would have said Malamar due to its wonky stats, but Inkay's cuteness was what made it avoid being here. So instead I say Mightyena, because I don't see anything good with it at all and its stats are pretty low compared to most other fully-evolved Dark-types.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • So i must apologize for my absence its been a rough june so far haha but once we get to the last week ill be extremely active haha.
    Anyways for the topic posted;
    Best and worst Dark types and why?
    Thats tough for me but Zoroark because of his great ability his high Spatk and his use of night daze all make him a challenging opponent. For worst id have to say Malamar as many of you have said its a good poke dont get me wrong but the typing is off and it just doesnt seem like a good dark type.

So how about freshening up with a new topic? Well recently i had a chat about dark types and i got a good question for all of you and your opinions on this :3
    Do Dark type moves seem more weak to you than other types? Is there enough variety among the moves? Is there a certain move that you usually always use when using a dark type?
    Discuss!

Also welcome to the club Inti! Ohh another umbreon fan haha you gotta love umbreon its quite the cool poke even if its attack stat isnt great something about its connection with the moon is cool and spooky all at once! Spiritomb hasnt been discussed much but im hoping to save that for the future but he is extremely cool i love his dex desciption especially about the 108 spirits!

Anyways have fun discussing ill try to be more active and such and the next topic should be a POTW

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Do Dark type moves seem more weak to you than other types? Is there enough variety among the moves? Is there a certain move that you usually always use when using a dark type?

Normally you get moves with 90 power and even 120 power, while Dark-type gets only 80 power moves (Crunch and Dark Pulse) except for Hoopa Unbound, which gets Hyperspace Fury at 100 power. I don't understand why they undercut Dark-type moves so much, especially when they're only super effective on Psychic and Ghost-types, but it is quite disappointing. Crunch and Dark Pulse are the only moves I use that are Dark-type since they are the two best moves available.

Years
  • Do Dark-type moves seem more weak to you than other types? Is there enough variety among the moves? Is there a certain move that you usually always use when using a Dark-type?

I'm with Wicked on this, we don't seem to get many high-power moves of the Dark-type compared to most other types (Fairy iirc also doesn't have any high-power moves other than Judgment used by Pixie Plate Arceus) and the ones that are, are exclusive to certain Legendaries. I assume the reason behind this is due to the type not having much in the way of stuff that resists it, with only three types that resist Dark moves.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Do Dark type moves seem more weak to you than other types? Is there enough variety among the moves? Is there a certain move that you usually always use when using a dark type?
    As already mentioned, dark type moves are a little weak compared to other types regarding base power, but they do have additional effects. Crunch has 20% chance to drop defense, Dark Pulse has 20% chance to flinch. While this may be a little less usefull than a higher base power it does give a nice view of the trickery of dark types.
    I can only say there's a lot of variation in dark moves, maybe the most of all types. Crunch can drop defense, Dark Pulse can Flinch and then there's special moves as Sucker Punch and Foul Play which don't exist of any other type.

I'm with Wicked on this, we don't seem to get many high-power moves of the Dark-type compared to most other types (Fairy iirc also doesn't have any high-power moves other than Judgment used by Pixie Plate Arceus) and the ones that are, are exclusive to certain Legendaries. I assume the reason behind this is due to the type not having much in the way of stuff that resists it, with only three types that resist Dark moves.

But water has only three types resisting it too, and there do exist moves like Surf and Hydro Pump.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years

I don't actually use dark type moves often enough, but perhaps this is my answer to these questions. Yes, they do seem a little weaker than some types, but the trickery aspect behind them as Lycanthropy said is cool. I would like to see some stronger Dark type moves, but all in all, I don't think they're too bad myself, they could perhaps just do with a little extra something.

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years

They sure are weaker than other types and even with the additional effects, i still don't think it's enough to kinda balance it out.
    The only dark type move i really used was crunch.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Dark type Pokemon of the Week!
    30ketz9.png

Sableye, The Darkness Pokémon. It digs the ground with sharpened claws to find rocks that it eats. Substances in the eaten rocks crystallize and rise up to its body surface. They lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because they are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness.

Possible Questions:

Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?

Did you ever catch one and use it in Ruby/Sapphire or Emerald?

What do you think of its dex description?

What do you think of his mega evolution? Did you like it? Why or why not?

If you had to choose would you choose Sableye or Spriritomb as your dark type on your team?

Did you think that it having a weakness to fairy was a good decision on GFs part?

Other Thoughts?

Anyone who missed this weeks topic it is still up for discussion feel free to post your thoughts!

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • I don't know what it is about Sableye that i don't like but i've never used one competitively/ in-game and i doubt i'll ever will.
    I just don't like it, from the design to it's mega evolution, everything.

If you had to choose would you choose Sableye or Spriritomb as your dark type on your team?

Not a huge fan of it either but sure, i'll pick Spiritomb over Sableye anytime.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Eh, why not.

Username: striderviper
    Reason you love dark types: Most dark-types have a cool design and they can be extremely useful against psychics and pretty much anyone else.
    3 partner pokemon: Zoroark, Absol, Greninja
    Have you ever used Sableye competitively or in-game?: I've used it once or twice in Gen 3, it was pretty good. Maybe I'll use it in OR/AS since it has a Mega now and it's tanky as hell.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Eh, why not.

Hi strider! Welcome to Darkness Falls!

PotW: Sableye
    I haven't used Sableye at all, it's one of those basic Pokémon that don't evolve, don't have really good stats and give little experience when you beat them compared to other Pokémon (Looking at yours, Phoebe!).
    It's design is okay, the gems as eyes do have their charms and those were worked out well in its Mega evolution. I find Sableye one of those Pokémon that really deserves its Mega evolution. Some Pokémon have high stats already and giving those a Mega unbalances the Pokémon even more and they could better be given to underrated Pokémon to promote them.
    The addition of the fairy type has had a good impact on Sableye and Spiritomb, finally giving them weaknesses. Could this actually have been a reason to add the fairy type aside balancing dragons?

Return

Years
  • Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?
    Yeah, used it in many games but it was easily defeated my many Pokemons that makes me feel sad :(

Did you ever catch one and use it in Ruby/Sapphire or Emerald?
    I catched it only one time but it was easily defeated by the next gym leader so i don't use it again :(

What do you think of its dex description?
    Its dex description is so scary and so cute^^ so i don't no what can i say about this? :D

What do you think of his mega evolution? Did you like it? Why or why not?
    I surely likes it mega evolution because of its ability magic bounce with the powerful move sets(recover,dark pulse,Will-O-Wisp). So it is very much useful in the games.

I will choose Sableye only if it can mega evolve in the game and if he do not i will choose spiritomb then.

Did you think that it having a weakness to fairy was a good decision on GFs part?
    I sadly said that it is right decision because Sableye-mega has no weakness among any type except fairy type(Same to Spiritomb) So this is the right decision done.

Other Thoughts?
    No other thoughts but i will think about it.

I missed Previous question as Dedenne1 said that we can tell about previous question so why not?

Do Dark type moves seem more weak to you than other types? Is there enough variety among the moves? Is there a certain move that you usually always use when using a dark type?

No, I don't think so it is fairly weak but not much weak to other types.No, There are not many dark type moves we have as most of them are weak and have no physical damage to the Pokemon(ex: Switchroo).Yeah, i always uses Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Dark Pulse move in the games as these are damage dealing moves and are competitively good

Eh, why not.
    Username: striderviper
    Reason you love dark types: Most dark-types have a cool design and they can be extremely useful against psychics and pretty much anyone else.
    3 partner pokemon: Zoroark, Absol, Greninja
    Have you ever used Sableye competitively or in-game?: I've used it once or twice in Gen 3, it was pretty good. Maybe I'll use it in OR/AS since it has a Mega now and it's tanky as hell.

Welcome to Dark Type Club Striderviper.You are right the basic liking on dark type Pokemon is usually of their design and offensive attacks against other stats.Nvm My friend Dedenne1 will surely add you and again Welcome to Dark Type Club.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If you had to choose would you choose Sableye or Spriritomb as your dark type on your team?

I'd probably pick Sableye. I just like its design better I guess, but the Mega is pretty good when used effectively, even if it becomes slow as hell with that huge gem shield. Spiritomb's design also reminds me of something creepy whereas Sableye is more on the cute side.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back