• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • So I just got around to setting up my PC to Dual Boot Linux and uh...

Yo, dude? I'm loving Linux so much right now. Can't wait to start delving into Linux because this is pretty cool.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    You know white glint got me thinking, is unkown source apks normal for android? What about move to SD? On ics btw.

Years
  • You know white glint got me thinking, is unkown source apks normal for android? What about move to SD? On ics btw.

It's relatively normal if you aren't installing from the app store most of the time. Some devs have apps that aren't on the app store for example, so the only way to install them is through allowing unknown sources.

Now by move to SD do you mean installing the app TO the SD or installing from it?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    It's relatively normal if you aren't installing from the app store most of the time. Some devs have apps that aren't on the app store for example, so the only way to install them is through allowing unknown sources.

Now by move to SD do you mean installing the app TO the SD or installing from it?

To the SD card. Also, apparently my phpne kust got hijacked by facebook. Just installedthe old version and suddeny everythings crashing. Updated to the new version and everythings back to normal.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Buyer's remorse is quite possibly the worst thing to happen.
    Oh yeah, for certain.

I find my TV looks all the nicer if you up the saturation by about 5% or so in the settings. Everything looks more lifelike, really.

For the past day or two I noticed that my screen was a little small in resolution… and just now I went into my CP and noticed I had it set at 900p. :P

Oh, by the way, distributions like Arch may be a pain, but they are so, so worth it. Practically every program on your OS you install and configure yourself. That sort of control is very useful, huh? In the realm of keeping junk off your PC that you don't want, I mean.

Not to mention how efficient it is. Is it me or is Windows just getting fat?

Years
  • To the SD card. Also, apparently my phpne kust got hijacked by facebook. Just installedthe old version and suddeny everythings crashing. Updated to the new version and everythings back to normal.

Which older version was it? Was it one of the ones I linked? Speaking of such, I should get back to Oryx and see if the .apk I posted worked. If you did everything and still no go, I'll see if I can find a better working one. I'd give you mine but the font on it is extra weird and I don't think you'd like that.

And as far as installing to the SD Card, I THINK there are some apps for that in the app store. I'll download a couple and let you know which ones worked for me.

Oh, by the way, distributions like Arch may be a pain, but they are so, so worth it. Practically every program on your OS you install and configure yourself. That sort of control is very useful, huh? In the realm of keeping junk off your PC that you don't want, I mean.

Not to mention how efficient it is. Is it me or is Windows just getting fat?

I was gonna go for Arch but I wanted to go for the one that was a little more friendly towards beginners to start out with, so I went to Mint.

Windows being fat can be somewhat managed if you de-bloat it a little bit. There's a setup you can use that makes your system a little more responsive and less resource hoggy. It had to do with uh...msconfig I believe.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Yeah the one you linked. It worked, but as I said it crashed everythging for me.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Windows is resource hoggy because of the way it is designed, it has a lot to do with the NT kernel. You can turn off the eye candy and go through the services and disable the ones you won't need (Know what a service is before you disable it!) the OS can be very responsive on lower end machines when the OS has gone through proper training and diet.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    One thing I must say is that there isn't exactly a wrong way to do things. The Windows NT kernel and the Linux kernel are just different. The way Windows does things tend to be quite different from what Unix-like stuff do things. In my personal opinion, both have things that they're good at and things that they're bad at. It's just that everyone's different.

Speaking of dieting your OS, do not try to remove features through outright removal instead of disabling them in Windows. Disabling services is usually pretty darned unnecessary when you think about it: services are only started where required, even if enabled. I wouldn't advise disabling services on normal computers, anyway. You never know what something relies on!

Years
  • Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Obligatory image in this topic:
    Developers, developers, developers, developers

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    There seems to be a lot of bad tech advice floating around the Internet, and some dangerous "joke" advice that might sound legitimate to some people.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Storage will only get cheaper the longer you wait.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back