• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • What kind of TV is it? If it's a CRT/rear projection, then the convergence is probably a little off.
    > 40" CRT

oh my god I couldn't help but burst out laughing. sorry xD

I think the likely culprit is that I have it scaled 5% down because for some reason it naturally cuts off the edges of the screen. With that comes black boxes on the left and right, and I imagine that's because its reported 1080p resolution is smaller than it could actually handle, or something.

I'm fairly certain it's a liquid crystal display in all honesty

Years
  • I don't use the Facebook app because it tends to drain my battery, but my mom does - since it notifies you of the message but doesn't let you view it, what she's doing is if she has a message she'll go to the web version to check it. She downloaded it last night without thinking too hard about it but I knew that she's super paranoid about what permissions she's giving apps so I let her know about the issues and she had it off her phone within 12 hours, haha. How do you downgrade to an earlier version?

Facebook doesn't drain my battery that much as long as I kill my tasks occasionally. But boy does it hog resources, lol. But damn, 12 hours? The app didn't even have time to settle in. Poor messenger.

If she's using an Android device with I believe 4.0 or higher, you go to Settings > Security, then click on the box that says Unknown Sources. Then just find an older APK (Google is your best friend), download and install. Anything older than 4.x, you go Settings > Applications and do it from there.

> 40" CRT

oh my god I couldn't help but burst out laughing. sorry xD

Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Facebook doesn't drain my battery that much as long as I kill my tasks occasionally. But boy does it hog resources, lol. But damn, 12 hours? The app didn't even have time to settle in. Poor messenger.

If she's using an Android device with I believe 4.0 or higher, you go to Settings > Security, then click on the box that says Unknown Sources. Then just find an older APK (Google is your best friend), download and install. Anything older than 4.x, you go Settings > Applications and do it from there.

Yeah she just downloaded it to talk to a friend haha. I can't find a version 14 though or a list of the versions that are currently out, which makes it a pain. I just want to download the next step down but bleh :(

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I dunno how much the L90 is in the states, I'm talking strictly about Euros. And when I meant launcher, I meant LG's take on the Android rom, which is technically speaking the best one after stock/Motorola's, when talking about the big 3 manufactuers(LG>Sony>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Samsung). But otherwise, yeah I use Nova Pro on my Mini, and it runs like a dream. And does downgrading really bypass the messenger issue? Cause I have like 512MB internal for apps, and Messenger+Facebook takes up like 100MB together. I can just uninstall updates, go to Version 14 automatically, and save my phone from a lot of memory.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    You know I have no idea. When I first saw that Facebook takes up 60 megabytes, I was flabergasted. And now that they have messenger mandatory, and I had to use another 50 megabytes, I think its really all part of a plan for them to control our phones.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's like they half expect things to be, like, you know, stored in infinite space.

Speaking of space and wastage, I've been thinking about software "bloat". I put "bloat" in quotation marks because, well, when you think about it... even though people might use only 10% of the features that come with a given software package, said 10% is likely to be very different from individual to individual. Try to create a "leaner" version of said software package with exactly 10% of features of the original, and more likely than not you'd end up with a useless app.

(Or why I tend to stick with the big fat stuff. When you suddenly find yourself needing that one feature, you're stuck otherwise.)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Its like my phone. I have the old Play now from SE which is defunct, the old Track ID which is defunct, some ******** carrier stuff like recommended apps, games, stuff like that. If I had a PC at home I can root the phone, get all that uninistalled, uninstall the browser, and then I'd have a good 50 mb free as well.

Years
  • Why on earth do apps take up ten times their PC equivalents? What would a social media app and messenger possibly need a tenth of a gigabyte for?
    Developers, developers, developers, developers

Honestly, I haven't gotten around to seeing where that extra usage is coming from. My FB app alone is eating 176MB (39.5 for the app but then 137 for data? Okaaaaaay...), and I don't buy that it needs that much to store accounts and whatnot...I'll run some checks and see what the deal is later, because now I'm curious.

I dunno how much the L90 is in the states, I'm talking strictly about Euros. And when I meant launcher, I meant LG's take on the Android rom, which is technically speaking the best one after stock/Motorola's, when talking about the big 3 manufactuers(LG>Sony>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Samsung). But otherwise, yeah I use Nova Pro on my Mini, and it runs like a dream. And does downgrading really bypass the messenger issue? Cause I have like 512MB internal for apps, and Messenger+Facebook takes up like 100MB together. I can just uninstall updates, go to Version 14 automatically, and save my phone from a lot of memory.

Ah, okay. Yeah I use a Custom Rom anyway, so I mean...meh. I'm using Apex right now. I used to use Nova but I switched for some reason...I can't recall. Something about customizing my phone that got in the way? Since I'm talking about phones, might as well upload screenshots of mine...
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Also yeah, downgrading removes the need for messenger entirely. The link I posted in my last post should be able to help you, assuming you can install unknown sources and whatnot.

Speaking of space and wastage, I've been thinking about software "bloat".

Don't even get started on bloat, man...Samsung is a major offender of this category. And so are most of the prebuilt PCs you get, now that I think about it.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Don't even get started on bloat, man...Samsung is a major offender of this category. And so are most of the prebuilt PCs you get, now that I think about it.

The thing about so-called "bloatware" is that they help subsidize your computer hardware and help manufacturers turn a profit, however minimal, when selling these computers. Software manufacturers pay computer makers to put their software on the computers, and although bloatware can be annoying, they do end up benefitting you, albeit indirectly.

Years
  • The thing about so-called "bloatware" is that they help subsidize your computer hardware and help manufacturers turn a profit, however minimal, when selling these computers. Software manufacturers pay computer makers to put their software on the computers, and although bloatware can be annoying, they do end up benefitting you, albeit indirectly.

Oh yeah. And since bloat for phones is a different than "bloat" on PCs, I don't try to dip far in that since most of the time I'm not buying prebuilt stuff anyway, so I don't have to worry about something like that. If anything, I need to worry about Google Botnet-er, Chrome writing down everything I do in Notepad++. but then I switched to chromium/waterfox so I mean

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Oh, speaking of phone bloats, sometimes I'm not sure if my old phone can keep up with each Google Play market (automatic) updates, since they eat my phone memory to the point that I almost lost all of my poor outdated phone's memory. It's not quite bloatware at first, but still.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Oh, speaking of phone bloats, sometimes I'm not sure if my old phone can keep up with each Google Play market (automatic) updates, since they eat my phone memory to the point that I almost lost all of my poor outdated phone's memory. It's not quite bloatware at first, but still.

Phone manufacturers sticking less than 8 GB of internal storage on a modern smartphone deserve to be criticized for doing so, I think. When you have 4 or less, after factoring in the operating system and preloaded apps, things can get extremely tight, especially if strange partitioning is involved (as seen on older Android devices).

(When it comes to the low-end, your best bet might be to get a Windows Phone and a microSDHC card for apps and other stuff. Windows Phone's support for microSD cards is extremely good, especially after 8.1.)

Years
  • So I took a plunge yesterday and got a new device...

Spoiler:

I think it was worth it though because I do like using iOS, and my previous iPod was just getting slow with apps :( the lock button on my 4th gen iPod was broken anyways, too.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I want an iPod Touch. :P

But I suspect it'd be pretty redundant with me also having a smartphone.

But these iOS apps...

Years
  • So I took a plunge yesterday and got a new device...

Spoiler:

I think it was worth it though because I do like using iOS, and my previous iPod was just getting slow with apps :( the lock button on my 4th gen iPod was broken anyways, too.

How is the new iPod anyway? Worth the plunge? I would assume that the new one doesn't have to worry about being slow on iOS 6, right?

Years
  • How is the new iPod anyway? Worth the plunge? I would assume that the new one doesn't have to worry about being slow on iOS 6, right?
    Oh it's quite good! The LED light by the camera is extremely bright, and I do like that. Only problem I have so far about it is the lack of an ambient light sensor, which allows for auto brightness. I wonder why Apple would have removed that.

Also, it makes me worry if I did an impulse buy or not. There has been numerous speculations about a 6th generation iPod Touch coming out in a few weeks, after Apple has their large announcement next month.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Buyer's remorse is quite possibly the worst thing to happen.

When I make purchasing decisions, I try to make it so that I only about what the device can do for me right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back