• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Ewww, Moto G. 200 euros for something equivalent of the Samsung Duos 2 without a micro SD card is never going to get a vote from me.

Years
  • I honestly liked how Motorola phones had the stock layout of Android with no heavy manufacturer customization (*ahem* Samsung), but then again they were also formerly owned by Google. :P Makes me wonder how Lenovo is gonna handle the Motorola line now.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If a smartphone has 8 GB of internal storage, it better have expansion options. The cloud doesn't count.

If a smartphone has less than that, skip it.

Life gets much easier if you have ample space on the internal storage for the random cruft you'd get every day.

Years
  • Ewww, Moto G. 200 euros for something equivalent of the Samsung Duos 2 without a micro SD card is never going to get a vote from me.

A micro SD slot variant just dropped a little while ago though in the 4G LTE variant. :v Besides, on paper, the specs are much better. (I mean of course 256 more MB of ram and a quad core are better than 768 and a Dual Core, paper or not.)

If a smartphone has 8 GB of internal storage, it better have expansion options. The cloud doesn't count.

If a smartphone has less than that, skip it.

Life gets much easier if you have ample space on the internal storage for the random cruft you'd get every day.

Honestly, something like space doesn't matter too much to me since I wouldn't need it for anything except music, and I already have a music player to serve that purpose, so there's really no downside on my end. I guess I was the unlucky one and pretty much -needed- the phone at the time and got it, only for the 4G variant to drop a little bit after. But then again, I don't care for 4G like that either, so no loss on my part.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Honestly, something like space doesn't matter too much to me since I wouldn't need it for anything except music, and I already have a music player to serve that purpose, so there's really no downside on my end. I guess I was the unlucky one and pretty much -needed- the phone at the time and got it, only for the 4G variant to drop a little bit after. But then again, I don't care for 4G like that either, so no loss on my part.

Mmm hmm. I don't have any dedicated music players, though if I do ever want to get one I'd probably get an iPod touch.

I don't even need or want 4G on my phone. However, due to the way things work, should I get a Nokia Lumia 930, it will have 4G in some form, simply because the phone doesn't come in a non-4G variant. Such is the life of flagship smartphones.

At least my mobile plan doesn't even cover 4G. (I haven't gotten around to cancelling it.)

Years
  • Mmm hmm. I don't have any dedicated music players, though if I do ever want to get one I'd probably get an iPod touch.

I don't even need or want 4G on my phone. However, due to the way things work, should I get a Nokia Lumia 930, it will have 4G in some form, simply because the phone doesn't come in a non-4G variant. Such is the life of flagship smartphones.

At least my mobile plan doesn't even cover 4G. (I haven't gotten around to cancelling it.)

Yeah, I'm using an iPod touch currently. 32GB has been enough for me so far, and since all my other stuff is on my laptop, storage is really like an afterthought for me.

4G is.,..I mean, cool if you got it, not heartbreaking if you don't. I suppose it depends on the person if you need the 4G, but as someone who has net in the house, it serves no purpose to me.

I was actually gonna get a Lumia when my old iPhone finally annoyed me to the point of new phone, but I had decided to jump on the Android boat since ICS had me won over at the time. Needless to say, a lot changed since that day in the form of Android KitKat...for the better of course, but man, was that a new experience as someone fresh off the iOS platform.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm just waiting for the HTC One for Windows rumours to pan out. I'd like to have more than just the 930 when it comes to choosing my next smartphone.

Years
  • I'm just waiting for the HTC One for Windows rumours to pan out. I'd like to have more than just the 930 when it comes to choosing my next smartphone.

Wait, this was talked about? Hold up, this might require me googling this. When was this talked about?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • T-Mobile only offers two Windows Phones at the moment, and neither of them have a camera flash. :\

iTunes and I are not agreeing at the moment, and I am missing my Windows Phone simplicity. T_T

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I finally got my hands on an actual Nokia Lumia 930 demo unit, and...

"Why does everything load instantly?"

Apparently that quad-core Krait is some monster.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    A micro SD slot variant just dropped a little while ago though in the 4G LTE variant. :v Besides, on paper, the specs are much better. (I mean of course 256 more MB of ram and a quad core are better than 768 and a Dual Core, paper or not.)
    Even then, I can get an LG L90 for 160, which has the same specs, and arguably a better Android Launcher at a much cheaper price(The LTE version is 230 compared to the regular G at 200).

Its not just music, but you have photos, videos, and honestly if you play games then you need the Mem Card to be able to have more then 10, especially with the ridiculous memory hogging that Facebook+Messenger requires.

Years
  • Even then, I can get an LG L90 for 160, which has the same specs, and arguably a better Android Launcher at a much cheaper price(The LTE version is 230 compared to the regular G at 200).

Well yeah, I can see that being a factor in the price range. But I don't see what you mean by a better launcher unless you mean firmware, and both can run Kitkat 4.4.4. If you're meaning something else I'm not picking up on, feel free to tell me. (Although if we're talking about the launchers I think we are, you should just be using Nova and Apex in the first place.)

Its not just music, but you have photos, videos, and honestly if you play games then you need the Mem Card to be able to have more then 10, especially with the ridiculous memory hogging that Facebook+Messenger requires.
    I don't use Messenger at all (Speaking of which, WHY is it required now? No thanks, I'll downgrade my FB version), and since I regularly clean my system cache, I don't have to worry about space constraints. I don't see the need for videos on my phone since Youtube+Media Streaming services exist, and if I at all needed to say, watch a movie or anything of that sort, I would just...use my laptop. Games are a fair point but not too many ever take up more than 100MB anyway, unless you need to play every iteration of Chaos Rings at the same damn time. Photos are fair too, but I don't take enough photos on my phone to where I'm eating 2~GB of memory.

But that's just me. I love the phone for what it is, although I suppose it would have been nice to know about the LG at the time, it came out a bit later than I would have known about, so...eh. I don't need the space like other people might since I have other resources, but that's not to say that there aren't better alternatives. But is that $160 unlocked or not? Because the Moto G for $200 is unlocked. On a carrier you can get it for no more than $100.

Wish I woulda got the nexus 5 but I didn't have the money~~~~~

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't use Messenger at all (Speaking of which, WHY is it required now? No thanks, I'll downgrade my FB version), and since I regularly clean my system cache, I don't have to worry about space constraints. I don't see the need for videos on my phone since Youtube+Media Streaming services exist, and if I at all needed to say, watch a movie or anything of that sort, I would just...use my laptop. Games are a fair point but not too many ever take up more than 100MB anyway, unless you need to play every iteration of Chaos Rings at the same damn time. Photos are fair too, but I don't take enough photos on my phone to where I'm eating 2~GB of memory.

Facebook Messenger got detached from Facebook so people that want only the messaging component can do so; also, it'd be easier to push updates to separate, smaller apps.

A high amount of photos should only take up a large amount of internal storage; just because you have a lot of photos doesn't mean that memory (as in RAM) usage will go up, too.

Most of the time, if you don't have to, never clear caches. You'd end up penalizing your device's performance. (Things may work differently in Android, but on Windows and Windows Phone, one shouldn't bother clearing out caches and temporary files unless there's literally dozens of megabytes of space left on Windows Phone (hundreds for Windows), which the OS then does automatically in the case of Windows Phone.)

But that's just me. I love the phone for what it is, although I suppose it would have been nice to know about the LG at the time, it came out a bit later than I would have known about, so...eh. I don't need the space like other people might since I have other resources, but that's not to say that there aren't better alternatives. But is that $160 unlocked or not? Because the Moto G for $200 is unlocked. On a carrier you can get it for no more than $100.

Wish I woulda got the nexus 5 but I didn't have the money~~~~~

shh... get a windows phone, then you can stop worrying about pretty much everything

Years
  • Facebook Messenger got detached from Facebook so people that want only the messaging component can do so; also, it'd be easier to push updates to separate, smaller apps.

A high amount of photos should only take up a large amount of internal storage; just because you have a lot of photos doesn't mean that memory (as in RAM) usage will go up, too.

Most of the time, if you don't have to, never clear caches. You'd end up penalizing your device's performance. (Things may work differently in Android, but on Windows and Windows Phone, one shouldn't bother clearing out caches and temporary files unless there's literally dozens of megabytes of space left on Windows Phone (hundreds for Windows), which the OS then does automatically in the case of Windows Phone.)

No no, I know WHY they separated it. But as of the latest update, having messenger is now MANDATORY. You can't use the FB app alone to respond to messages, which is why I downgraded. And I meant space, not memory. Sorry, I should really start using the proper terms in a tech thread of all places.

The cache cleaner for me (Well least on Android) is based off CCleaner, so it's mostly just for junk files and obsolete apps and whatnot. I don't go toying with other things that I don't have to. I don't need another $200 Paperweight. my psp before CFW was a thing

shh... get a windows phone, then you can stop worrying about pretty much everything
    b-but muh appz

I was gonna give the Lumia a shot though, not gonna lie to you. Maybe I will when I get some cash. It's nice to have a backup.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    No no, I know WHY they separated it. But as of the latest update, having messenger is now MANDATORY. You can't use the FB app alone to respond to messages, which is why I downgraded. And I meant space, not memory. Sorry, I should really start using the proper terms in a tech thread of all places.

The cache cleaner for me (Well least on Android) is based off CCleaner, so it's mostly just for junk files and obsolete apps and whatnot. I don't go toying with other things that I don't have to. I don't need another $200 Paperweight. my psp before CFW was a thing

You shouldn't downgrade if you expect support for your Facebook app. If you want to stay on an older version, eventually, support may be dropped for it. You also won't get to enjoy any new features that may come to the app in the future.

CCleaner is pretty nice on Windows, but thoroughly unnecessary for most users. As for Android, it might be a bit more helpful, given that some apps seem to have a problem with their cache and their usage. (On Windows Phone, the operating system can always nuke the cache of anything.)

b-but muh appz

I was gonna give the Lumia a shot though, not gonna lie to you. Maybe I will when I get some cash. It's nice to have a backup.
    most of them are here, what do you need?

If anything, I've tried out the Nokia Lumia 930 itself yesterday, and...

Oh my. This is what I've been missing?

Years
  • You shouldn't downgrade if you expect support for your Facebook app. If you want to stay on an older version, eventually, support may be dropped for it. You also won't get to enjoy any new features that may come to the app in the future.

Eh, it's still a version of 14, just a lesser version. I just don't like needing Messenger, especially with all the permissions the app gains just by having it. Normally I wouldn't care but ehhh botnets. Not that I need support from them anyway since if it gets that bad I'll just resort to in-browser.

CCleaner is pretty nice on Windows, but thoroughly unnecessary for most users. As for Android, it might be a bit more helpful, given that some apps seem to have a problem with their cache and their usage. (On Windows Phone, the operating system can always nuke the cache of anything.)
    Yeah, it helps on windows. I recently reinstalled W7 because I was having a critical issue with System I/O errors (Probably my fault when I changed something by accident and I wasn't trying to...never making that mistake again) and I got CCleaner just to have it on deck. Defrags and old junk file remover is always nice. That's cool that Windows Phones has that option from the get go though.

most of them are here, what do you need?

I NEED IT ALL

If anything, I've tried out the Nokia Lumia 930 itself yesterday, and...

Oh my. This is what I've been missing?

How much is the 930? I might nab it once I move back to West Coast and get a job.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Eh, it's still a version of 14, just a lesser version. I just don't like needing Messenger, especially with all the permissions the app gains just by having it. Normally I wouldn't care but ehhh botnets. Not that I need support from them anyway since if it gets that bad I'll just resort to in-browser.

Android permissions are really broken, and it's a sad state of affairs. Best to not think too much about it.

Yeah, it helps on windows. I recently reinstalled W7 because I was having a critical issue with System I/O errors (Probably my fault when I changed something by accident and I wasn't trying to...never making that mistake again) and I got CCleaner just to have it on deck. Defrags and old junk file remover is always nice. That's cool that Windows Phones has that option from the get go though.

Mmm hmm, though in the case of Windows Phone it's an all-or-nothing affair for now.

I NEED IT ALL

but-but-but all the things that are there are really nice

How much is the 930? I might nab it once I move back to West Coast and get a job.

Not available in the United States. Though, there's the Lumia Icon, which is the exact same phone... for Verizon Wireless.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I don't use the Facebook app because it tends to drain my battery, but my mom does - since it notifies you of the message but doesn't let you view it, what she's doing is if she has a message she'll go to the web version to check it. She downloaded it last night without thinking too hard about it but I knew that she's super paranoid about what permissions she's giving apps so I let her know about the issues and she had it off her phone within 12 hours, haha. How do you downgrade to an earlier version?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back