• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    After seeing the Pokemon calendar idea on reddit, I made a website. https://www.pokecalendar.net/

I should note that this is my first every endeavor into php.
    PHP is fun to code with. I began work on an application of sorts with PHP back when I was sixteen years old, and made its current incarnation when I was seventeen.

https://zach.jtmal.net/cc/

Essentially, it's a web application that allows you to get detailed current weather for a specified location. This is my nerdy side here: I based it entirely off of The Weather Channel's "Local on the 8s" when creating the elements for it in Photoshop and coding it. The logo is just there for comparison sake, and the application has no affiliation to the television network at all.

The code to generate the image isn't really mine (I got it from when DirecTV provided their TV apps sdk to users), but I did write all of the XML-parsing code. I also wrote several conversion algorithms such as the conversion of Weather Underground's clock system being in 24-hour time to 12-hour time, and also convert wind from miles per hour to kilometers per hour for the Celsius option, since Weather Underground doesn't provide metric wind information.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Don't get me started about PHP. There's a guy on #bulbagarden running and IRC bot with it and my mind is blown as to why he's not using Python smh >_>

There needs to be something better than PHP and ASP for dynamic web development. JavaScript has its limitations, and you don't always want source disclosure, either.

Speaking of source disclosure I'm really bothered by the GPL's "liberty or die" clause that basically forces similar "free" licensing with your software with whatever you include with it. I don't mind someone making a buck off of a cool DLL and I don't want to have to play lawyer with my program writing an informal license to do that and still force other liberties with my program too. :\

Years
    I don't think PHP is a necessarily bad language to use when it comes to website functionality, but for an IRC bot, why? You're right that Python is a better language to use than PHP for an IRC bot, but I guess if PHP will work, then why not? Coder's preference.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Part of the fun is probably how you can make something do something you want even when your tools aren't exactly suited for the job. :)

I really should start pondering about some programming practice.

Years
    Office 365 subscription expiration on my personal account:
    Ability to still use Office 365 through my school:
    No more Terabyte space in OneDrive:

Of course for OneDrive, I don't even have a full gigabyte of my available 30GB used up! :P

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Office 365 subscription expiration on my personal account:
    Ability to still use Office 365 through my school:
    No more Terabyte space in OneDrive:

Of course for OneDrive, I don't even have a full gigabyte of my available 30GB used up! :P

I have about 9GB in use despite having over 1.1TB available for use.

That's probably how they get away with offering 1TB (or more) of storage, is that not everyone uses that much space.

Years
    At least I have 30 GB to spare on OneDrive...more space there than my 4.4GB available on Dropbox. :P

And in other news, I thank Cortana on my phone for alerting me to that Wind Chill Advisory. Pretty fun sometimes to be woken up to a vibrating phone alerting you on weather advisories.

Years
    That reminded me that I do actually have a OneDrive I don't use. And that I also have a copy of Office 2010 Pro that I rarely use on my home PC. It'd be nice to have a OneDrive app for Android, but I know that probably won't happen anytime soon. Which suits me just fine since I do still have 15GB of Google Drive space at my disposal.

Buoysel

Years
    That reminded me that I do actually have a OneDrive I don't use. And that I also have a copy of Office 2010 Pro that I rarely use on my home PC. It'd be nice to have a OneDrive app for Android, but I know that probably won't happen anytime soon. Which suits me just fine since I do still have 15GB of Google Drive space at my disposal.

There is a OneDrive App for Android (and iOS too)

Years

Buoysel

Years
    The reason I left Android, despite really likeing the hardware was the random reboots / freezes. One night my phone froze, in the morning it did't play my alarm and I was late to work. :(

Years
    The reason I left Android, despite really likeing the hardware was the random reboots / freezes. One night my phone froze, in the morning it did't play my alarm and I was late to work. :(
    That right there is a good convincing factor for me to not use Android as a primary device. :|

Although I use my iPod Touch for an alarm and my phone runs Windows Phone 8.1.

Years
    I only ever had that random shutdown and reboot issue on my first HTC Sensation (though I had come close on the other two of that phone that I had; it was a known issue with those devices). First one was replaced due to firmware issues causing issues with the device staying on. Second one was replaced because I broke the pins inside the mini USB plug on the phone. Third one was replaced with my Alcatel because it fell from my standing desk. I had far fewer issues with the HTC G2 and the Alcatel OneTouch than I did with the Sensation in terms of crashes and random reboots. I have yet to experience a total freeze. Actually, I guess you could call what happened to my G2 a total freeze, but that was probably caused by damage from sweat from having it in my pocket while working a labor-intensive job (screen went completely white and the device was unresponsive when I pulled it out to turn it on and use it while on a break during a particularly labor-intensive shift).

I've actually seen random shutdowns more often on iPhones than I have Android devices, though that's probably just the quantity of iPhones I support at work more than anything.

I don't use my phone as my primary alarm, though. That belongs to an actual digital alarm clock that I've had for at least 16 years. My phone is and has always been my backup alarm since I first got one. And I've got a pair of spare alarm clocks stashed away for whenever my current digital one gives out, which may just be never.

Really, you should never depend on your phone to be your primary alarm. The random crashes can happen on any smartphone, and I have definitely seen it on iPhones (not on Windows Phones, but nobody at my work uses them and nobody I know has one). Plus, a phone alarm is nowhere near as disruptive as the alarm on an alarm clock, at least in my personal opinion and experiences.

Years
    I don't end up using alarms often nowadays, there was even a point late last year when I got iPhone/iPod speakers from my college's bookstore but never opened them and eventually returned them because I came to find out that they weren't very necessary when I have a computer that I can play music on instead. But I remember way back when I used to have an alarm clock that would play really annoying sounds :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back