• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I never really use my phone as an alarm clock, that's what actual alarm clocks are designed for.

And speaking of the HTC Sensation, I'm in the process of trying to install CyanogenMod 11 on a friend's phone to bring it somewhat up to date. But damn they make those phones hard to mod. You first have to unlock the bootloader, then do a temporary physical modification to allow Recovery to write to the /boot partition of the device.
    At least you can get as far as unlocking the bootloader on that device :P on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, it's impossible to unlock it. At least you can get TWRP onto it.

Years
  • What kinds of issues are those? I still have the phone so I can check for some of that stuff.

Periodic random shutdowns and reboots and increasingly inaccurate reporting battery charge level as time wears on. It starts pretty slow at first, but it gradually cascades into a point where it makes the phone unusable if you don't recognize the symptoms early enough. It's a known issue with the Sensation.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Remember old Nokia phones that technically never shut themselves down fully and still rang alarms even if off? So long as there's a battery and there's some charge on it, it's guaranteed to ring. Loudly.

I still have a Nokia phone, but it's a smartphone, and a modern one, to boot. Usually I never manage to get it run to 0% charge, so it's not a problem for me, and the alarm is loud enough. I do wonder if it can still ring while turned off, though. (Ringing while turned off is a possibility with Symbian-based OSes.)

Years
  • Hmm, I definitely think that my tablet is definitely better with Internet Explorer than it is Google Chrome. 😉

Years
  • I still prefer Safari on my Mac over Google Chrome, as i'm more used to it.

Also, I just installed the newest OS upgrade for my Mac, and despite an excruciatingly long download process, they actually refined everything quite well for it. Now if only it would stop being as slow as molasses...

Years
  • How old is your Mac? If it's one that came installed with Snow Leopard, then that's kinda old at this point. :P

Apple logic: they'll support upgrades on old devices for quite a long time, but still increase hardware requirements.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • Ew, Apple.

Personally I prefer Windows/Android. Never had many good experiences with Apple/iOS. Not even to mention that PC and Android tend to be more developer friendly then Apple, which always wins points with me. Let's not open that can of worms, though!

I have seriously never used the alarm on my phone or tablet... I tried once, and it didn't even work. Can't say I'm surprised. xD

Years
  • How old is your Mac? If it's one that came installed with Snow Leopard, then that's kinda old at this point. :P

Apple logic: they'll support upgrades on old devices for quite a long time, but still increase hardware requirements.

I got mine for Christmas 2012 (a few days before then), and I just installed I think Mac OS Yosemite because I had to check for updates after moving back into my college dorm. So just over two years. Not terribly old. I even dug out my iPad 2 that i've had since mid-2011 so I could play something for the Year of Gaming event, and it still supported iOS 8.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • But it has pretty decent specs for it's price, amirite?
    - MediaTek Processor
    - Android 4.2 (In 2013!)
    The RAM/Memory/Camera seems decent though the camera depends on the software and lenses if its any good. Numbers don't mean everything. Though I haven't looked into the camera or anything to see if it is. Moto G 2014 4G LTE seems kinda better, plus support for updates, but the camera might take a hit.

As for Alarm clocks, I just use a regular one, well somewhat regular, its easier to set then most, but the screen is cracked. I don't really like using my phone as one, I don't even have the phone with me when I'm sleeping, it dosent get kept in my room

I had some trouble with random reboots on my Droid 3/4, mainly 3. But with my Moto X I haven't experienced it I don't think, my Nexus 10 still does though.

Android: Adding more smoother perfomance and animations while lowering hardware requirements.
    Apple: Addings animations, worse performance, and highering hardware requirements.
    :P

Years
  • The first Nexus 7 2013 tablet I had owned had random reboots. They happened just about everyday, and it was annoying. I'll always remember the date I got my first tablet, because I was modded the same day here on PC. :P

However, I replaced the Nexus 7 at Best Buy three months later with another one, and it's the one I have to this day. I think it maybe only shut itself off then back on once, but that was probably after 20+ days of uptime as well. To this day. it stays turned on quite well.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I prefer using my phone /tablet as an alarm clock because it is easier to set. Especially when I can just tell Siri to set an alarm at a certain time. I will also set multiple alarms so that even if I snooze an alarm, one will go off a couple of minutes later to wake me up. This is handy when I know I'm going to be real tempted to try and sleep in.

These are things I can't do with my digital alarm clock.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I managed to sleep in until 4 PM one single time. Goodness me!

Hmm... Intel integrated is surprisingly passable when you think about it today.

Years
  • Why on earth does this library computer at the school have Internet Explorer, and only Internet Explorer installed? It's version 9, too. :|

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Why on earth does this library computer at the school have Internet Explorer, and only Internet Explorer installed? It's version 9, too. :|

Things won't change until they have to change. (That, and Group Policy is much easier.)

Years
  • The computers at the facilities where I reside have Chrome, Safari and Firefox installed. I remember in one of my classes where I couldn't view videos that we had made for it because I had been using Safari and it said I needed the right Flash plug-in, as my teacher suggested that was a Safari issue more than a computer issue.

Years
  • This is handy when I know I'm going to be real tempted to try and sleep in.

This, oh my god.

Unrelated note. My android broke (temporarily, smh...) so I went ahead and picked up a Lumia.

Why aren't more people using Windows Phones, man? These things are smoother than the almighty knows what.

Years
  • Things won't change until they have to change. (That, and Group Policy is much easier.)
    My main concern with this though is IE9's considerable lack of modern CSS support. View a profile here on PC from IE9 and see what I mean. ;)

Years
  • My main concern with this though is IE9's considerable lack of modern CSS support. View a profile here on PC from IE9 and see what I mean. ;)

I bet it's locked at IE 9 because some important web page app doesn't work in anything above IE 9. We only upgraded from IE 8 to IE 10 company-wide at my work in September because some web page applications use a web browser and only worked in IE 8 or older.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back