• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I bet it's locked at IE 9 because some important web page app doesn't work in anything above IE 9. We only upgraded from IE 8 to IE 10 company-wide at my work in September because some web page applications use a web browser and only worked in IE 8 or older.
    I'd rather be more concerned with my browsing security than compatibility of one lonesome website; the website can be updated to become compatible with newer browsers. :P

What I don't get though is why the library computers at said campus of my college are only running IE 9, whereas (at least) two other campuses within the college have both IE 9 and Firefox.

Years
  • I'd rather be more concerned with my browsing security than compatibility of one lonesome website; the website can be updated to become compatible with newer browsers. :P

What I don't get though is why the library computers at said campus of my college are only running IE 9, whereas (at least) two other campuses within the college have both IE 9 and Firefox.

When you're using apps you didn't develop, you're at the mercy of how they made them work and also at the mercy of your limited budget. Some apps only work in specific versions of IE...

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • when I get my backpay from my pension I am going to be really psyched to buy my... third Samsung Galaxy Reverb. I'll have two... no, one spare battery. When I smashed my second one the battery bled. :/

Maybe I should just hold on and get the new latest and greatest shit... I dunno. I have to buy a laptop for my mother and build a new PC, and also get internet service going on top of things. $1,500 is barely going to do me and I'd be lucky to have the $80 for the Reverb. >>

Years
  • So I got bored this morning and changed the login/lock screen on my desktop.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So I got bored this morning and changed the login/lock screen on my desktop.

Spoiler:

I don't see a Sylveon anywhere. Predates X and Y?

Either way, I've been thinking about a lot of things, and I think I might be better off holding off on any tech purchases for now. You know, I think I'll wait until the Cherry Trail-based Intel Atom tablets to show up before even thinking of replacing my Surface RT. As good as the hardware itself might be, it's aging. :3

That, and I want to be able to run everything, though I suspect that might be more of a curse than a blessing on a tablet.

Years
  • I don't see a Sylveon anywhere. Predates X and Y?
    Yeah, it predates X and Y.

Tech purchases? Yeah, that won't be something I'm avoiding this week. I need to buy a keyboard/touchpad combo (probably a Logitech K400) for my server tower so that I can use it offline without needing Synergy to share my desktop's keyboard/mouse over IP. And why a Logitch K400? It's simple for me to use and I can easily store it since it's wireless and I won't necessarily need it all the time, either.

Years
  • My desktop background on my Mac is a bunch of stars in space surrounding a white eclipse. I've had that one for a while now, mostly because i'm too lazy to find anything else to change it to.

I was at Best Buy twice the past week and did consider getting a new tablet with Windows 8 built in, but I haven't completely opted for one yet since this Mac has enough for me and I can't really put my finger on what i'd use a new tablet for.

Years
  • Yay, the Bluetooth keyboard I use with my Nexus 7 works with my Venue 8 Pro. One less accessory I would have to purchase for it. 😊

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Things won't change until they have to change. (That, and Group Policy is much easier.)

Chrome and Firefox both have GPO templates available.

I've been wanting an iPad lately, which is strange, because I've had tablets, but never really used them for much. So for me to get a new tablet would be a waste of money.

Years
  • I've been wanting an iPad lately, which is strange, because I've had tablets, but never really used them for much. So for me to get a new tablet would be a waste of money.
    I really want an iPad too, so I know the feeling. However, I already own two tablets (I would own three if I didn't give one I used for three months to my father).

Laptops on the other hand, I have three of those, but I only use one and that's it.

Buoysel

Years
  • I really want an iPad too, so I know the feeling. However, I already own two tablets (I would own three if I didn't give one I used for three months to my father).

Laptops on the other hand, I have three of those, but I only use one and that's it.

I have a work assigned laptop, but I don't have a personal laptop.

I am thinking about getting a full sized iPad, but I'm not sure about using a large tablet. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 that is very rarely used. (My iPhone is so much quicker, I have no reason to use it). My main dilemma is that I can't decide whether I want a regular iPad, or a mini. I also have a feeling that it may not get used much. I already rarely use my desktop.

Years
  • I have a work assigned laptop, but I don't have a personal laptop.

I am thinking about getting a full sized iPad, but I'm not sure about using a large tablet. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 that is very rarely used. (My iPhone is so much quicker, I have no reason to use it). My main dilemma is that I can't decide whether I want a regular iPad, or a mini. I also have a feeling that it may not get used much. I already rarely use my desktop.
    Out of curiosity, which device of yours do you find yourself using the most?

Buoysel

Years
  • Out of curiosity, which device of yours do you find yourself using the most?

Phone, 'cause it's always on me. Next would be computer, I use maybe an hour at the most. Just enough time to check PC, spam my resume to places, and that's about it. I've tried browsing PC on my phone, but I find the screens just a tad bit too small to comfortably use on this site. Doesn't help this site doesn't have a mobile theme that's decent.

The best speakers in my apartment are hooked up to the computer, so I sometimes set music playing while I am doing other things around the apartment. I don't always used the computer though. I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker that sounds pretty good. So I'll use my phone to play music to that.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Chrome and Firefox both have GPO templates available.

I've been wanting an iPad lately, which is strange, because I've had tablets, but never really used them for much. So for me to get a new tablet would be a waste of money.

I wonder how they are in practice, though? (At least with IE, you have them right away.)

I want an iPod touch despite it being completely unnecessary and likely to go out of support very soon.

Years
  • The iPod Touch is, well, the poor man's iPhone or iPad in the sense that it basically does everything to my recollection but make calls and texts. While the iPad does basically everything the Touch can, it's bigger and not as easy to carry around with you.

Years
  • I wouldn't necessarily call the iPod Touch a "poor man's iPhone", because maybe there are people that own both, and only want to use the iPod for music and not have it on their phone. Sure it may seem redundant, but there has to be someone out there that does that. ;)

Buoysel

Years
  • I wouldn't necessarily call the iPod Touch a "poor man's iPhone", because maybe there are people that own both, and only want to use the iPod for music and not have it on their phone. Sure it may seem redundant, but there has to be someone out there that does that. ;)

I have both, and I have though about doing that, it might be handy to just keep the ipod in the car, and only take it inside to sync once in a while.

Years
  • I have an iPod Nano that I got back in late summer, since I don't care enough to use my phone for listening to music. Not only that, but the red ones (which I got) were providing donations whenever they were purchased in the Apple Store I got it from, so I had to go for that.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I had an iPad Air for a week and I returned it. I was hoping it would take some usage away from my Macbook and give me something to just surf before bed, carry around the house, etc. but it had some annoyances that I just couldn't get past. Mostly the lack of multitasking - I'm the type of person that will be IMing on Skype and having a Youtube video open in the background while browsing, and not being able to switch between apps easily was just a deal-breaker for me.

I do kind of want a tablet again just for the instances I would use it over my laptop (taking it to the kitchen for recipes and things like that, playing some Hearthstone matches while watching TV in the living room, etc.), but I think I'd just go with a cheaper Android one rather than a $300+ iPad.

Years
  • I do kind of want a tablet again just for the instances I would use it over my laptop (taking it to the kitchen for recipes and things like that, playing some Hearthstone matches while watching TV in the living room, etc.), but I think I'd just go with a cheaper Android one rather than a $300+ iPad.
    You could always go with a Windows 8 tablet as well. Windows 8 does have built-in multitasking between apps and the desktop, or you could just push the open windows side-by-side on the desktop. :)

I'd easily recommend the Dell Venue 8 Pro, although it isn't necessarily cheap. It was less expensive than my 2013 Nexus 7, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back