• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hey guys, just a really quick Q&A. Does having wi-fi and mobile data on simultaneously cause problems for phones?
Usually wifi overrides data when in use on a mobile phone, if that answers your question. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that it does so on iPhones.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Hey guys, just a really quick Q&A. Does having wi-fi and mobile data on simultaneously cause problems for phones?

No, but turning off WiFi when you are not connected to a network will help you save battery. Your phone will complain about GPS accuracy, but it's safe to ignore this. I personally don't turn off WiFi ever. I don't have a problem with battery life, and if the batter does it low, there's always a charger around me.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
This is what I've got going for a build sheet now. Shaved $60 off and still have some amazing parts – ASUS card which are my fave for design, Kingston Fury Black RAM modules, nice Intel CPU, 850 EVO SSD, 80+ Bronze PSU, Micro ATX forme factor, and a 21.5" 1080p display with decent peripherals… $840. I think that's pretty good.

I've always had a bit of disdain for ATX builds too, lol. They're just too big IMO. Waste of space with Micro ATX and Mini ITX.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
No, but turning off WiFi when you are not connected to a network will help you save battery. Your phone will complain about GPS accuracy, but it's safe to ignore this. I personally don't turn off WiFi ever. I don't have a problem with battery life, and if the batter does it low, there's always a charger around me.

I should note that Windows Phones think different in this regard and do not suggest leaving turning Wi-Fi off unless you really need it to - in fact, it will re-enable it in a few hours by default.

This is what I've got going for a build sheet now. Shaved $60 off and still have some amazing parts – ASUS card which are my fave for design, Kingston Fury Black RAM modules, nice Intel CPU, 850 EVO SSD, 80+ Bronze PSU, Micro ATX forme factor, and a 21.5" 1080p display with decent peripherals… $840. I think that's pretty good.

I've always had a bit of disdain for ATX builds too, lol. They're just too big IMO. Waste of space with Micro ATX and Mini ITX.

Micro-ATX builds sound like a nice compromise between ATX and Mini-ITX builds since they have enough room for most components that are worth any grain of salt. :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 24, 2019
I need some help. I just got a 10 year old clunker of a PC with only 512 gb of RAM, a 160 gb HDD and a 2.2 ghz AMD single core processor, along with a flat screen monitor, a keyboard and a mouse - all for free. I was considering on upgrading the RAM to at least 2 gb and upgrading it to Windows 8.1, then reselling it on Craigslist for around 50 - 70 dollars, though it's risky since I might have trouble selling it, then I'll waste ~15 dollars. Should I try to sell it as it is, then donate it if nobody wants it? Or should I upgrade it then sell it for a higher price?

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I need some help. I just got a 10 year old clunker of a PC with only 512 gb of RAM, a 160 gb HDD and a 2.2 ghz AMD single core processor, along with a flat screen monitor, a keyboard and a mouse - all for free. I was considering on upgrading the RAM to at least 2 gb and upgrading it to Windows 8.1, then reselling it on Craigslist for around 50 - 70 dollars, though it's risky since I might have trouble selling it, then I'll waste ~15 dollars. Should I try to sell it as it is, then donate it if nobody wants it? Or should I upgrade it then sell it for a higher price?
If you know what you're doing you can turn quite the profit off of something like that with the right wording and such. Or we could help you do the technicals, provided you can use a certain program and screenshot it a couple times :b

For us to help, you need an application called CPU-Z. If your OS is 64-bit be sure to get the x64 version, as well. Once you've downloaded it, execute it, screenshot each tab in the program, and upload the images and link them here. The other thing we need is the PC's OEM model number usually found on the labelling for the PC, so as to figure out things like RAM limitations and other config stuff.

I dunno about the others but I personally would be happy to quote you on a decent price for if you end up selling it. I can also give you Amazon links to the parts I or others recommend as well. :)

Years
Using a mouse with a left hand, that'll take time to get used to :P

Of course, I am left-handed in real life, but I was taught to use a mouse with my right hand.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
This laptop looks pretty good for me, though it's not perfect. Guys, anything I should look for as far as laptop features go? I'm normally a desktop kind of guy.

An ASUS one will make a great replacement for my mother's PC that I broke too. $250 and I can still say "screw AMD."

Also Zach i'm creating a dcc monopoly and would be happy to be op in next thred thx plz >;D ~_~

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
The tablet hunt continues. Thinking about picking up this Asus Memo Pad 7 this week since it's on sale for $149. Supposedly it's basically an upgraded Nexus 7 based on specs and design. Not a fan of the crap Asus puts on top of Android or the bloatware they load it up with though.

I'd probably rather get an iPad again, but I just can't justify spending double the price (cheapest is $299) for what's basically going to become a companion device to my PC and Macbook. :/ and Hearthstone machine lololol

Alexander Nicholi

Years
The tablet hunt continues. Thinking about picking up this Asus Memo Pad 7 this week since it's on sale for $149. Supposedly it's basically an upgraded Nexus 7 based on specs and design. Not a fan of the crap Asus puts on top of Android or the bloatware they load it up with though.

I'd probably rather get an iPad again, but I just can't justify spending double the price (cheapest is $299) for what's basically going to become a companion device to my PC and Macbook. :/ and Hearthstone machine lololol
There's always custom ROMs. Stock sucks.

Years
I'm contempt with the stock ROM on the Nexus 7 2013. I have put a custom ROM on it, but I feel that it's not really any more different than the stock ROM, with maybe some pixie dust.

Buoysel

Years
There's nothing wrong with this DCC, Don't post your reply from the quick reply box and you won't get double posts D:

Have you guys seen the new USB 3.1 Type C? It's annoying that USB is changing, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with the new version.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
There's nothing wrong with this DCC, Don't post your reply from the quick reply box and you won't get double posts D:

Have you guys seen the new USB 3.1 Type C? It's annoying that USB is changing, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with the new version.

But-but-but it's potentially one page load less!

If anything, I suspect we'll see USB 3.1 ports and plugs of all sorts of types.

Buoysel

Years
I type my response in the quick reply box, but then hit go advanced. That gives me a change to see how the post is going to look and correct any typo's in BBcode that I make without having to edit the post.

Maybe Apple will finally put a standard connector on their products now?

There's always next year, right?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Is Apple still packing proprietary hardware? That's going to do nothing but hurt their products. Industry standards and specifications exist for good reason, Apple ought to stick to those. What purpose would a proprietary connector or what serve, anyway?

I'm already in the process of cutting out USB 2.0 for everything but keyboards and mice, lol. I'm even using PS/2 for my guinea pig build so as for compatibility, but USB peripherals seem to work fine even in OSes like Arch or whatever. S'fine.

By the way, Twiggy, stock is great if you can root it and fudge all the bloatware and Google crap off of there. To me it's just easier to slap something like Party Time Jelly Bean on there, though. I'm not going to go out of my way to save my stock ROM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buoysel

Years
Is Apple still packing proprietary hardware? That's going to do nothing but hurt their products. Industry standards and specifications exist for good reason, Apple ought to stick to those. What purpose would a proprietary connector or what serve, anyway?
Yeah, they are using a lighting cable, which is reversible just like the new USB Type-C! You would think that it might hurt their sales, but it's not if recent sales are any indication.

I would like your deleted post if I could! XD

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Ideals and the truth can be quite the funny thing. Or, rather, what happens in practice... Frankly, a lot of things some would consider bloatware wouldn't exactly qualify to me. After all... Most software have a purpose. Just because something is useless to one does not mean that it is useless to everyone.

(That's why I don't really believe in the notion that software is getting bloated. At some point you'll end up with a product that just isn't appealing at all because it caters to pretty much nobody.)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Ideals and the truth can be quite the funny thing. Or, rather, what happens in practice... Frankly, a lot of things some would consider bloatware wouldn't exactly qualify to me. After all... Most software have a purpose. Just because something is useless to one does not mean that it is useless to everyone.

(That's why I don't really believe in the notion that software is getting bloated. At some point you'll end up with a product that just isn't appealing at all because it caters to pretty much nobody.)
Then they can offer the option to install whatever apps you'd like to. Or just go download them yourself. I shouldn't have to put up with NFL Mobile, trials for 20 games I'll never play, some proprietary chat app that no one uses since there's Skype, Kik, and a host of other chat apps, etc. It's especially damning when you can't uninstall or even disable those apps, so they just sit there and take up resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back