• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Wait. Mork, you're looking for a tablet again?

Why?

Did you learn nothing from the unnecessary iPad?

Phones are getting bigger, laptops are getting smaller (and touchy). Tablets are useless outside of some niche markets

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Wait. Mork, you're looking for a tablet again?

Why?

Did you learn nothing from the unnecessary iPad?

Phones are getting bigger, laptops are getting smaller (and touchy). Tablets are useless outside of some niche markets
I don't want a big phone, my laptop is quite small and doesn't have a touchscreen, but there are some ways I can see myself making use of a tablet as companion device - not as a replacement for my phone or laptop. And I can deal with a $100-150 Android tablet as a companion device better than I can deal with a $350-400 iPad as such. :P

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Geoff, my landlady back in Colorado had the biggest phone you wouldn't believe. Being a California girl with no pockets means the size didn't matter. It was huge… but definitely functional. Had 4G and a really nice camera as well.

For me, tablets can freeze in hell along with VGA and dial-up and all the other failed electronics. Do not want lol

As far as phones go, I'm content with my Samsung Galaxy Reverb at present. Virgin Mobile offers unlimited everything with a soft cap that stands somewhere between 2.5 and 3 gigabytes, not that I'd ever normally hit that if I wasn't tethering… xD

I really like the Reverb in particular because it does what I need it to do, has some weight to it unlike my mother's phone, and when I buy my third one I'm going to be getting some custom backing for it as well to make it look even nicer. Plus I know the procedure for rooting it and flashing a ROM onto it. :b

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Then they can offer the option to install whatever apps you'd like to. Or just go download them yourself. I shouldn't have to put up with NFL Mobile, trials for 20 games I'll never play, some proprietary chat app that no one uses since there's Skype, Kik, and a host of other chat apps, etc. It's especially damning when you can't uninstall or even disable those apps, so they just sit there and take up resources.

Sounds good. Just remember that sometimes these apps are what's reducing the price of your shiny new gadget. Guess we can't really have it all.

(That, and all this isn't a problem on Windows-based systems anyway, as almost everything that isn't part of the OS itself can be uninstalled.)

Alexander Nicholi

Years
My Lenovo wireless laser mouse came in the mail today… and it has been the greatest thing. :D

It's rather small which I suppose is because it's a ThinkPad mouse, but it's got laser optics and four-way scrolling and is even ambidextrious… which is great. I really really love it.

Speaking of peripherals, I just caught the return window for my keyboard that came smashed a few days ago. This Friday we'll be mailing the old thing out and the new one should be arriving tomorrow, along with a new pair of earbuds. These ones got so quiet :O

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of keyboards, I've spent some amount of time typing on a mechanical keyboard.

I don't like the feel of them at all. Then again, I'm too used to laptop keyboards and how they just...push. No need for messy noises.

Years
It's funny with mechanical keyboards...because then you'll be in a computer lab on that one computer that has one (while others are equipped with membrane keyboards), and I'll just be typing really fast and loudly. I've literally been told to type quieter by others because of those things. :|

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's funny with mechanical keyboards...because then you'll be in a computer lab on that one computer that has one (while others are equipped with membrane keyboards), and I'll just be typing really fast and loudly. I've literally been told to type quieter by others because of those things. :|

Clickity-clack! That's how they sounded to me, too. I don't like that one bit at all. They're too dang noisy, so much that even with headphones on, I can hear it. (At sane volumes, that is.)

Years
Clickity-clack! That's how they sounded to me, too. I don't like that one bit at all. They're too dang noisy, so much that even with headphones on, I can hear it. (At sane volumes, that is.)
I'm at least glad that I can type on my laptop without barely hearing the keys being touched, and that's with typing rapidly as well.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
My laptop keyboard is tiny. With a few millimetres to spare it's under a foot long, and surprisingly I type wicked fast on it despite.

I'll be getting my replacement keyboard today, but the real problem with that is that my screen is still… tiny. And all this has is VGA with my only monitor looking rather, uh… shabby? I think my new VGA cable is borking the resolutions within a week like the old one. Ugh, analogue. The bane of my IT life. Do you know how many residential and commercial consumers haven't even heard of DVI, let alone DP, or HDMI outside their TVs? It's crazy VGA is still being treated as a de facto standard in office environments with LCDs and stuff.

If there's one thing I hate more than VGA, it's VGA with an LCD. That's just gross.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I have a couple of Microsoft Ergonomics 4000 keyboards. I bought my first after a co-worker had one and he told me of the benefits of using it. It was hard to get used to at first, but now that I am used to it, I have a hard time typing fast on a normal keyboard. It's kind of strange, this keyboard isn't the quietest, but it's much quieter than what my co-worker had. The one I have in my office is much louder than the one I have a home (which I bough some time after having the one at work). It would appear that they are making the keyboard quieter, even though there is no mention of a hardware revision on the product sticker.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I think I will probably end up having "fun" trying to pick a desktop keyboard if I ever get a desktop.

Buoysel

Years
I think I will probably end up having "fun" trying to pick a desktop keyboard if I ever get a desktop.

One of the reasons I haven't gotten a laptop recently is that I can't find one with a keyboard that I like. It's even worse now that I use an ergonomic keyboard.

Hopefully voice dictation will take over soon and I won't even need a keyboard.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
One of the reasons I haven't gotten a laptop recently is that I can't find one with a keyboard that I like. It's even worse now that I use an ergonomic keyboard.

Hopefully voice dictation will take over soon and I won't even need a keyboard.

Wreck a nice beach. :P

(I think I'll probably reserve judgment until someone actually comes out with something that does speech recognition almost perfectly.)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I don't get what's so great about mechanical keyboards. They're noisy as hell and I don't like clicky keys. Supposedly they're better for gaming, but...I don't really see how.

Buoysel

Years
I don't get what's so great about mechanical keyboards. They're noisy as hell and I don't like clicky keys. Supposedly they're better for gaming, but...I don't really see how.

I think people like them for the physical feedback they key during keypress. I believe that they also take more effort to press a key, so it's harder to bump a key when playing a game.

Years
One could argue that they have a steeper curve in the center of each key for your fingers to rest. I've seen gamers that honestly rest their fingers on those keys instead of just having them elsewhere.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I like my keyboard. I especially like my mouse. For some strange reason the keyboard both on Amazon and on the box have the design I want but the keyboard itself isn't quite as advertised… o_O

This one thankfully didn't come smashed. For a moment the plastic cover created an optical illusion making me think it was :\

Also, I've finally turned my netbook into a desktop, since I have the necessary peripherals now. I moved the whole ensemble into my room since we have like three grounded outlets in the whole house >_> But it's good now, and I'm a lot more comfortable. This lawn chair is definitely better than those kitchen chairs we've had for ten years. :)

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years

You don't have to press down a key all the way down for it to register as a button press, so when you need to make almost instant reactions you could tap the key quickly and lightly and it'd register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back