• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Networking class is fun.. one of the labs we had to do was create an active directory and a domain server using Server 2008, and then log into an account using Windows Vista from that directory. All of this was done from VMware Workstation as well.

Have you dived into GPO setting yet? Simultaneously the most fun, and aggravating thing you can with Active Directory.

Buoysel

Years
I haven't yet, but I'll let you know if I do. :P

I was messing with Software Restriction policies, when I accidentally restricted .exe's from running in the System32 Folder... really glad that was a VM and I was able to revert back to an earlier snapshot, otherwise it would of been a re-install. That is why you always thoroughly test your GPO settings before pushing them onto the rest of the domain.

Years
I was messing with Software Restriction policies, when I accidentally restricted .exe's from running in the System32 Folder... really glad that was a VM and I was able to revert back to an earlier snapshot, otherwise it would of been a re-install. That is why you always thoroughly test your GPO settings before pushing them onto the rest of the domain.
I wouldn't even want to know how that's possible. o_O I would at least hope Microsoft knows about that to make sure it doesn't happen in future builds, lol

Buoysel

Years
I wouldn't even want to know how that's possible. o_O I would at least hope Microsoft knows about that to make sure it doesn't happen in future builds, lol

It's there by design. Say for a kiosk deployment, you wouldn't want people to be able to launch anything but (most likely) Internet Explorer and go to a specific site, and never leave that site. So you would want to block explorer.exe from running.

My problem is that I set it to block sys32 instead of allow it, that is where I had a problem, and thus why you always test stuff.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Guess the rule of not messing with anything other than things you need to change is a good one.

Buoysel

Years
Guess the rule of not messing with anything other than things you need to change is a good one.

But then you don't learn anything new and exciting. It's okay to break things, that's how we learn, just be sure you remember what you did so you can unbreak it.

The new 3DS XL comes out next week and I want it, but I have to pay vehicle tax this month... being an adult is hard!

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
But then you don't learn anything new and exciting. It's okay to break things, that's how we learn, just be sure you remember what you did so you can unbreak it.

Haha! Just remember sometimes the downtime itself can be a significant factor in making me not doing that in the first place.

The new 3DS XL comes out next week and I want it, but I have to pay vehicle tax this month... being an adult is hard!

Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to pay for pretty much everything like that?

Even I will have to pay for taxes and all once I start working.

On another topic, my Surface's getting really fiddly when it comes to charging. I hope it's just my adapter getting too old.

Buoysel

Years
Haha! Just remember sometimes the downtime itself can be a significant factor in making me not doing that in the first place.
Downtime makes you learn quicker.
Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to pay for pretty much everything like that?
I wouldn't mind paying taxes as much if I made more money, which is why I'm looking for a higher paying gig.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Downtime makes you learn quicker. I wouldn't mind paying taxes as much if I made more money, which is why I'm looking for a higher paying gig.

The cool thing about it is probably the fact that usually someone else has encountered the Sam problems, so...

Sometimes I feel bad looking up things like that.

I wonder how much I'll make when I get my first job.

Buoysel

Years
The cool thing about it is probably the fact that usually someone else has encountered the Sam problems, so...

Sometimes I feel bad looking up things like that.
Most of the time you can find your answer quickly and easily, other times, you have to think carefully on how to word you Google Query, other times you are out of luck and going to have to figure it out on your own.

I wonder how much I'll make when I get my first job
That depends on what you want to do when you get out of college, what your degree is in, and where you are.

Years
At least the projected career I have is STEM-relevant, which is one of the most competitive areas to enter into the workforce.

Buoysel

Years
That's where my future becomes uncertain. I'm not sure if I'd fit in well at helpdesk, or if I could be a systems administrator. It's all a few years away. :d

If you are going to be a sysadmin, unless you have every cert under the sun, and even then, you are probably going to have to start out at help desk. I did, but that doesn't mean you have to stay there long. I got lucky and was only in help desk for a year.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of systems administration, I once was worried that I'll come off as "incompetent sysadmin" or "sysadmin from hell" while taking the final exam and after submitting all allocated assignments for a taken module that consists of exactly that - sysadmin stuff.

It turned out pretty well.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 24, 2019
Is it true that reading e-books on a laptop is uncomfortable and bad on the eyes? I don't want to buy a separate kindle or tablet to read. I feel that it's exaggerated, since I've gone on wikipedia and reading binges on the internet alot, and haven't gotten any big issues unless I'm reading for hours late at night. How do you others feel about it?

Buoysel

Years
Speaking of systems administration, I once was worried that I'll come off as "incompetent sysadmin" or "sysadmin from hell" while taking the final exam and after submitting all allocated assignments for a taken module that consists of exactly that - sysadmin stuff.

It turned out pretty well.

I also used to think this too at first. Sometimes you just have to inflate your confidence and pretend like you know what you are doing while you Google what you are supposed to do.

Is it true that reading e-books on a laptop is uncomfortable and bad on the eyes? I don't want to buy a separate kindle or tablet to read. I feel that it's exaggerated, since I've gone on wikipedia and reading binges on the internet alot, and haven't gotten any big issues unless I'm reading for hours late at night. How do you others feel about it?

I think it varies from person to person. I personally get eye strain looking at a monitor too much, however this has improved since I got an IPS display. It also helps if I set my reading device to 'night mode' where it uses a dark background.

If you can view a computer screen for most of the day without feeling tired, then you will probably be fine with ebooks.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It depends. Reading anything black on a white on your computer's screen late at night probably isn't the best idea. There are ways to mitigate it though.

Kindle or similar ereaders are the way to go though

Years
So does anybody here with Windows 8 use the picture password feature? I understand that it may be hard to remember exact gestures, but I made a grid for mine haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back