• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you keep your starter in your team?

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
Years
  • I do but I'm thinking about replacing it with my Charizard from LeafGreen (which is a starter too, but from a different game).

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah, I keep them on the team for the game. Then I wind up throwing it in the PC towards the end to use different pokes.

The exception to this rule is Torchic. I love torchic. And Blaziken, as well.

Years
  • I keep mine for the main storyline only. After the storyline is complete and the National Dex, I put it in my PC so I can make room for a competitive team.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I keep them but after the main story is complete i throw them in the PC.After that i make my own Real main team for the rest of the game.

Darkjagwar

lollerskates now available
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    I usually keep my starter whether it's the actual starter or a ditto-baby that I breed to perfection :P

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I keep my starter. I never really battle with other people, so I even keep it on my team after the main storyline. xD; Exceptions would be for like... the Battle Tower or something.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I always keep my starter. Always.

What's the point in having awesome starters to choose from if you don't keep them? xD

The exception to the rule MIGHT be Torchic... I dislike his evolutions so have thrown them in the PC a couple times.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I have never ditched my starter once. Because I only play one game of each generation, I've never felt the 'repetitive-feeling,' whenever I start a new game.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    I have never picked a starter and then not used it.
    I always use my starter. I think it's a bit of a waste of a rare pokemon. You don't get another one like that in the game - exceptions obviously with trading etc. In my pearl team I had 3 starters. The empoleon from the game and two from other generations.

Elaine

Is a KOS-MOS fan :3
    Years
  • It depends on the starter's stats. When I got Piplup as my starter in platinum, it had horrible stats so later on I replaced it with a Buizel as my replacement starter.

dutchmuffin77

...not dutch
    Years
  • i keep my starter through the entire game even after beating the
    elite four because i use to help train my other weaker pokemon
    through the use of an exp.share

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I used to, but in Platinum this time around I didn't. I replaced my monferno with a Kadabra, who's now an Alakazam and the strongest in my team <3 So good choice on my part x3 I just hated it being Fire / fighting, so many weaknesses...

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    i uasually keep mine but sometimes i like to focus on other stuff more than that

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I do.
    I don't why but, I just feel like my team isn't complete without my starter.

Back